Author Topic: Headphone Thread  (Read 1219 times)

BikeJesus

Headphone Thread
« on: February 16, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
Couldn't find one. These arrived today to replace my 12 year old Grado SR125's. Breaking them in now. Post your cans.

Tasty

Re: Headphone Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 05:06:21 PM »
Been consistently happy with my QC35 II's.

They're ridiculously hot in the summer tho so I switch to my Pixel Buds depending on weather.

BikeJesus

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
Been consistently happy with my QC35 II's.

They're ridiculously hot in the summer tho so I switch to my Pixel Buds depending on weather.

Yes, I also have a pair of those Bose, got them at Costco about 2 years ago. They are great, and when I am in bed with the woman, they don't disturb her. I also use them at work because they are solid wireless cans.

The Grados are for at home in my gaming space, when I can have the sound up and not disturb anyone. I love open-backed headphones, but man, these things fucking leak! The Bose do get hot, and I find the noise cancelling a bit hard on my eardrums after a long time. I know you can disable it, but they are still closed headphones.

I am a bit of a Grado fanboy. I love the sound. One thing is though, they are uncomfortable as fuck. I ordered some aftermarket pads that are similar to the large Grado pads. Now they feel like pillows against my head and I couldn't be happier. I Recently got a Tube headphone pre-amp just to add a bit of gain to my setup, and I am in heaven now.

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:21:26 PM »
One thing is though, they are uncomfortable as fuck. I ordered some aftermarket pads that are similar to the large Grado pads. Now they feel like pillows against my head and I couldn't be happier.

Damn that's hardcore. :lol

My audiophile friend also swears by open-back.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 06:19:06 PM »
Those Grados are beautiful.

At home I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700 open back. Lovely headphones and super comfortable.

I recently added a pair of Sony WH1000xm3. I really love them so far, but haven't had much of a chance to use them because I haven't been commuting.

I also have the obligatory pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I use at work. They're pretty beat up now and I essentially bought the Sony cans to replace them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:24:41 PM by Potato »
Spud

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
Couldn't find one. These arrived today to replace my 12 year old Grado SR125's. Breaking them in now. Post your cans.

(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty envious of your Grados tbh. I have real bad tinnitus and I think part of that is from being addicted to Grado Sound- I use to have the alessandro ms-1 which was basically a grado 125- and I used it in a lot of environments where one probably shouldn't have used open headphones. some kinda isolating headphone that sounds like a grado would be a dream pair for me. I have recently been looking at the wireless grados or the 325s. But my usecase is usually noisy environments so I can't really justify it. I don't even really care about sound leaking out, its more about sound leaking in.

The wireless ones are neat but are grado's really a good commuting headphone? :lol

These days I have some wireless TMA-2 aiaiai's for most use cases. I know people on head-fi seem to hate them for some reason but I think they're pretty good. love the minimal design.

Never really got into the modular side apart from buying some nice pads to replace the guite frankly hot af microfibre ones that came with them.

At home I have Audio Technica ATH-AD700 open back. Lovely headphones and super comfortable.

I have a pair of ad900 I really love, but I need to fix the headband and buy new earpads as one of teh 3d wings snapped off. No so comfy with a plastic arm digging into your skull :lol still love em tho.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »
Open headphones shouldn't leave the house tbh.
Spud

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 07:15:50 PM »
I recently sold my denon m400, great headphones sound wise, but being a fat cunt, i always was sweating when wearing them in any slightly hot weather, and they also werent super comfortable for me.

So right now I got nothing fancy. Just got a pair of 1000XM3 that I use for my phone, they are fairly comfortable and sound ok, and my ear buds (jabra 75t). I also got these fucking samsung earbuds pro with my phone that I am trying to sell, but people want them for a silly low price, so thinking of just giving them to my dad.

BikeJesus

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 07:22:33 PM »
I hadn't heard of those Alessandros. They seem to work with grado and they look exactly the same. I love this from a review of those you mentioned:

Isolation (2/10): The MS1 provides no isolation of any sort and the only way they could leak more is if the drivers faced outward, and even that’s debatable.

It's so true.

I was going to get a pair of the wireless Grado's, and they also come with a cable like my Bose. They advertise as having 60% less noise leak, so likely let less noise in. In the end, I decided to just use the Bose for wireless, and the Hemphones for at home.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:45 PM »
I recently sold my denon m400, great headphones sound wise, but being a fat cunt, i always was sweating when wearing them in any slightly hot weather, and they also werent super comfortable for me.

So right now I got nothing fancy. Just got a pair of 1000XM3 that I use for my phone, they are fairly comfortable and sound ok, and my ear buds (jabra 75t). I also got these fucking samsung earbuds pro with my phone that I am trying to sell, but people want them for a silly low price, so thinking of just giving them to my dad.

Any headphones built with real wood give me serious........wood.

Fucking Beuuuuwwwwediful
Spud

remy

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 08:14:47 PM »
I hadn't heard of those Alessandros. They seem to work with grado and they look exactly the same. I love this from a review of those you mentioned:

Isolation (2/10): The MS1 provides no isolation of any sort and the only way they could leak more is if the drivers faced outward, and even that’s debatable.

It's so true.

For real. nerds amped up about those cat ear speaker headphones that blast sound out to everyone around you for some reason could've just bought Grado instead.

IIRC the ms-1 is basically like a tuned sr80 or 125, that has slightly more low end. They also had a 325 equiv ms2, and a 1000 equiv ms3. I bought them because at the time, more than a decade ago now, grado didn't have any australian distribution, but for some reason alessandro did. I still have them, but the cable needs repairing and they need new pads.

BikeJesus

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »
I had to do a few cable repairs, because i hauled my cans 4500 km across the country on my bicycle in a pannier. If you need to get the cups separated, boil a kettle and hold the cup over it. The glue will soften and they will pull apart.

As far as new pads go, these are the ones i ordered. Way cheaper than official pads, and so comfy.

https://www.amazon.ca/GS1000-Headphones-Replacement-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B0155XZLUU

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 09:53:03 PM »
Still rocking the Sennheiser HD25s
\
^_^

Tuckers Law

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 10:48:37 PM »

Oh shit, I was just coming here to post this.  I love my purple beauties, I hope they last forever.

I also have a pair of ATH-M50’s with the headband portion beginning to wear away.  I haven’t bought any Sony’s yet, are you me from the future?

Do my stonks pay off?

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 11:39:46 PM »
 :respect

Buy the Sony headphones. We will love it.

Stonks are for weenies, buy Pokemon cards instead.
Spud

remy

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 12:58:11 AM »
My GF went from M50s to sony WHM3 as well. Seems to be the way to go  :doge

G The Resurrected

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 01:35:48 AM »
I am not going down this road again. I’ve got a pair of Meze’s 99 Classics/Rai solos, Audeze LCD-2 (2nd hand,) Grado Hemps, and my prized Sennheiser HD600’s that are original 1997 New old stock (blind auction.) I power most of them with the Chord Mojo (2nd hand) with my Sony HiRes Walkman. I’ve also got a wireless kit for the Rai from FiiO. And topping off my high end is my B&O H9 and B&O H2.

Then I’ve got assloads of gaming and pc headsets from just about every vendor known to man. My recent mains are the Steelseries 7x since they work on everything.

I have a problem.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 01:48:49 AM »
I also have a pair of ATH-M50’s with the headband portion beginning to wear away.

I think mine's started to peel a little too

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2021, 06:35:10 AM »

I recently added a pair of Sony WH1000xm3. I really love them so far, but haven't had much of a chance to use them because I haven't been commuting.

I also have the obligatory pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 which I use at work. They're pretty beat up now and I essentially bought the Sony cans to replace them.

Have this combo except the M2 instead of the 3.

I'll use my AD-700s until they turn into dust, I love them and it's incredible you can't buy anything like them these days.

Wife has the QC 35-II's and they're more comfortable than the Sony's but I don't feel the sound is as good.
itm

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2021, 07:56:21 AM »
I also have a pair of ATH-M50’s with the headband portion beginning to wear away.

I think mine's started to peel a little too

did you put these in the oven?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
Nah they're juat 6+ years old and I wear them all the time, every day, everwhere.

Coax

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »

Hard to go wrong with these. They take a beating, sound great and every part has been replaceable for like 30 years. Swap out with the velour pads and they're pretty comfy after a break-in period.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »
Old faithful

They are on their last legs, and I should probably just get rid of them now I have the Sony cans, but I just can't do it. They've been so good to me. It feels like putting down an old dog.
Spud

Quaker

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 06:25:00 PM »

Jul 30, 2009, 1:27 AM

Items Ordered:
Product Description   Qty   Price
Audio-Technica Audio-Technica ATH-AD700(REFURBISHED) Open-air dynamic audiophile headphones
SKU: ATATHAD700RBD   1   $64.95
Subtotal   $64.95
Shipping (7-9 Business Days )   $0.00
Tax ($0.00)   $0.00
Grand Total   $64.95

11 years later and the earpads are a little worn cosmetically but fine aside from that. Haven't tried another headphone that's nearly as comfortable. The color and inherent nuisance of a chord are the only knocks I have against them.

I have some fancy Audeze planar magnetic headphones but the chord is a Y style with a stiff cable that's really annoying and they're "on-ear" so they're super uncomfortable after like 30 minutes. I bought some over-ear replacement pads for them and they're better but the clamping force and weight of the headband still are tiring after like an hour. They have the benefit of much better sound isolation but any difference in audio quality is lost on me.

I'm sure there are better options now but a few years ago I came across a Sennheiser "amp" that I was super impressed with. It does little to actually amplify the strength/power of the sound but the convenience of a physical volume knob, really good 7.1 surround virtualization and the complete elimination of the feedback hum/noise I would get from plugging my headphones directly into the case made it worth it for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-1000-Gaming-Audio-Amplifier/dp/B01LDTP484/

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:34:27 PM by Quaker »

BikeJesus

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 08:35:48 PM »
My cheap little tube pre-amp is getting the audio through USB which bypasses the PC soundcard, and doesn't have any hum or noise. Not bad for a $130 canada bucks little pre-amp. Having the tone controls is also nice since Grados tend to need a little boost to the low-end.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 09:27:45 PM »
\

Sennheiser, represent. I love my 555 cans. I did the "hack" to make them into 595 — remove a piece of foam: