Author Topic: Valheim | Procedural Viking Adventures  (Read 4025 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Valheim | Procedural Viking Adventures
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:32:07 AM »

Well you might have heard some things about this little game, let me give you a small introduction.

Valheim is a third person crafting/survival/adventure type game, in an enormous open world that is procedurally generated. It was created by Irongate studios with a team of only 5 developers. The game is only 1GB, but is bigger than most games. You have a huge open world and the point of the game is to kill 5 bosses which are like Norse Gods I guess. The way you go about this is constantly upgrading your armor and weapons to the point you are an unstoppable Viking. You can play solo or up to 10 people in coop.

Now let me stop you right there before you click away, I usually dont really enjoy crafting or survival type games like Rust, Ark, Terrarria or even Minecraft (although I did build a skycastle in Minecraft once). I was ready to write off the game entirely based on the fact that it is a survival/crafting type game in some ways.
But this game offers something fresh, and is very polished imo. The game feels more like a grand adventure than most games, it gives you a sense of exploration.

It's also not much of a survival game. The only reason to eat food is to increase your health and stamina, besides that you don't have to drink water and your food will never spoil. The building is easy and intuitive, and works really well, better than expected. There is no PVP, so don't worry about some clown coming into your game and fucking your buildings up. In fact I have been playing solo for about 16 hours now and I'm really enjoying it, even if I have only scratched the bare surface.

The first few hours are quite simple, you get into the world and start chopping down trees, killing boars and building a house. Then you start getting into the combat and it's like a Dark Souls Lite kinda deal, where it sort of sucks but has animation priority and iframes when dodging. The fact that it's third person also gives it a Soulsy feel in some cases. As soon as you have some decent gear, you make your way to the first boss and it's pretty damn awesome how epic the battle can be.

I have to say this game really impressed me so far, and I'm curious to see what lies beyond the borders of my map. I have discovered most of my starting island, and it seems I have to venture out to see in a Longboat or something and face those ocean waves if I'm to find more biomes. I read that there are about 5 biomes in the game right now, but they will be adding more in the future. Yes the game is in early access, but feels very polished for a 20 dollar game.

Now I will bombard you with screenshots of my journey. Most of it is about 8-12 hours in, I didnt capture most of my starting out, sorry for that.

A ruined tower I found in the woods that only had stone left, rebuilt it with some of my wood and turned it into a forest tower base:

My big house and dock I built near the starting area:

The game is truly wonderful, don't write it off but play it for a few hours. It also has a slight RPG system in it where it levels up your skills as you use them, ala Oblivion. So the more you run or jump the higher your skill goes.

Reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/892970/Valheim/
Overwhelmingly Positive  (54,492 reviews)
And it has apparantly sold over 2 million copies already!

If you guys want to play with me, or come help me out defeat this second boss I'm heading towards soon, I would love to try out some coop. For now I really like playing the game solo though, really gives you that lone Viking feel.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:40:25 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Tasty

Re: Valheim | Procedural Viking Adventures
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
Holy shit I haven't seen a GAF-style OT in forever lol.

jorma

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 04:51:57 AM »
yeah, this game is really cool. i've built a little farmstead where i grow turnips and carrots and now i'm gonna do a stone fortress and a harbor from where i can easiler reach some of the other biomes.. the third boss in the swamps was a bitch, but i built a tree cabin and cheesed his poisonous ass from there. I think it took two ingame days to wear him down with assorted arrows.

i really like the fast travel system where you build your own travel points

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
Currently the second highest played game on Steam

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 06:12:12 AM »
Someone has built Saurons Tower

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
Aaaand 5 million sold

For a 5 man team, thats a cold million each
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 12:16:36 PM »
Game seems good so far. Been chopping trees while listening to death metal. Been mostly been doing menial shit since it levels up your skills either way.

Bebpo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:45:13 PM »
I know the gameplay is totally different, but every time I see this game it looks like indie AC Valhalla.

BikeJesus

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48:23 AM »
Bought it since it is only 22 Canada bucks. Having lots of fun. Just playing solo and enjoying the comfy dream-like atmosphere. Reminds me of Minecraft but obviously not the same. Nice to have a cozy little home with a fire. Will be interesting to see what the game is like in a couple years.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »
Looks like some janky ass mediocre generic MMO from the early 2000's. Including the bloom turned all the way up to 11. Not sure what the hype is about  ???

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:13:39 AM »
Aaaand 5 million sold

Sure, if it’s a buck a copy.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 03:18:57 AM »
Aaaand 5 million sold

Sure, if it’s a buck a copy.

well considering there are overhead and costs I dunno what they could keep but at least 5 mil

Also this game really isnt even that janky. Ive played games with more jank. In fact I think Cyberpunk has more jank than this game.

Raist dont dismiss the game, try it out it didnt grab me at first from the screens (more the idea of exploration etc in a viking setting and killing the bosses), but with Steam you can try it for two hours and if u dont like it just refund it. Although I must admit the game ramps up in fun after the first hour or two.
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 06:00:31 AM »
Looks like some janky ass mediocre generic MMO from the early 2000's. Including the bloom turned all the way up to 11. Not sure what the hype is about  ???

That isn't bloom. It's the awful depth of field effect combined with the chromatic aberration. First two things I turned off in the options.

The hype is basically about them taking all these survival tropes and mixing em together to make a decent game, as opposed to only being interesting conceptually. If you're not on board with the survival genre in general, then this won't sway your mind either.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »
I disagree with that since I really dislike games like Rust, Ark, the forest etc

But I love this game
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 07:57:19 AM »
That's because this game does the balancing between the systems right. Not because it's this amazingly different experience.

The biggest difference this game has is that it's survival mechanics got it's reward structure reversed. In other survival games you gotta keep the meters filled to keep playing normally. Here you don't really have to engage with the survival mechanics to play normally but doing so buffs your character. So there's a benefit in doing it and not an annoyance like in most survival games.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »
Exactly and thats why I wouldnt really call this a survival game perse, but I get your drift.

I also always felt in games like The Forest, Ark, Rust and whatever other crafting games are there, there really isnt a purpose. In this game I feel like my purpose is clear, defeat 5 bosses.
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
Not being able to transport metal ore through the portals is some bullshit, I hope they add a portal upgrade to allow for it.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »

That isn't bloom. It's the awful depth of field effect combined with the chromatic aberration. First two things I turned off in the options.

Look at the character's arm. That's early 2000s level of "hey bloom is cool, let's overdo it".

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »
Not being able to transport metal ore through the portals is some bullshit, I hope they add a portal upgrade to allow for it.

Theres mods that allow it I believe but I havent dabbled in them

The game also looks better in motion but ey I like the graphics for a 5 man team 🤷🏼‍♂️
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 04:22:35 PM »
Bag on the textures all you want (and they are fairly low-res looking), but at times I feel like the game looks fantastic in motion.  The way the brush and foliage catch the wind, or the way the water sloshes and undulates.  It impresses me anyways, and has me hoping more indie games are able to use voxel-based graphics to such advantage.

Coax

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 03:14:42 AM »
That's early 2000s level of "hey bloom is cool, let's overdo it".

With Reshade and ENB presets the fad never died  :shh

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 05:24:19 AM »

[img]https://gamestingr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Valheim-Screenshot-2021.02.07-13.38.16.61.png[img]

Look at the character's arm. That's early 2000s level of "hey bloom is cool, let's overdo it".

Yup, you were right. Just checked the menu in the game and I already turned off the bloom. So yeah, make that 3 post-processing effects you should turn off...

Depth of field, chromatic aberration and bloom.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »
I like the dof in this a lot
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 09:54:51 AM »
I've never liked the effect in any game, cause it makes absolutely no sense when playing. Where the character in game is looking isn't always where I'm looking on the screen. They'd need eye-tracking software for it to make any sense.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Finally made it to the bronze age! :rejoice
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
dog

G The Resurrected

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 10:15:32 PM »
I’m wondering if you can tame trolls with enough player sacrifices.

BikeJesus

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 07:23:43 PM »
I like all the post processing. Creates a dream-like atmosphere. Game looks great, especially for a Unity game. It stutters a bit here and there when out and about, but on my 3080 all maxed out I'm getting over 90fps at all times. Just wish i had more time to play it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 06:23:16 PM »
Not being able to teleport metals is such a beating when you're playing solo.  :-\
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi