Author Topic: Recommend me some fantasy novels  (Read 793 times)

Rman

Recommend me some fantasy novels
« on: February 18, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »
been getting more into fiction of late. more of a scifi guy generally, but i've enjoyed fantasy too (harry potter lol)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Recommend me some fantasy novels
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:59:14 AM »
Glen Cook's Black Company series.
Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series.
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:07 PM »
Song of Ice and Fire.

lol j/k

LotR
The Belgariad (etc)
Realm of the Elderlings

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »
The Elric Saga

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »
been getting more into fiction of late. more of a scifi guy generally, but i've enjoyed fantasy too (harry potter lol)

Brandon Sanderon's Cosmere is sci-fi fantasy in the vein of like Xenogears/saga in the background of more traditional fantasy but highly varied fantasy stories. Sanderson is a gamer millennial and pretty sure he's a fan of the Takahashi Xeno stuff and a lot of jrpgs in general. He listed his top 10 favorite games a year or so ago and it was a legit list and stuff like Bloodborne was pretty high up there. He also lived in South Korea for a while so he's a bit of a weeb.

He writes like Stephen King (easy to read layman style) and puts out just as many books a year (1-3 books/novellas a year). But world builds on the scale of like GRRM Song of Ice & Fire epic fantasy.

Cosmere is good stuff about about 50% complete after ~15 years and like 15 novels/novellas. Sanderson is 44 and I think his goal is to be done by 70.

Luckily each series is standalone and has their own casts and storylines so you get endings. It's just the larger picture worldbuilding stuff isn't going to conclude for another 15-20 years, but it's fun getting a new book every year or so that moves things forward and gives more answers.

The concept for Cosmere is that there's a bunch of different planets/solar systems and each book series/novella takes place on a different planet but in the overarching background they are all connected even though they are like galaxies apart. Where Cosmere is now around 50% through, there's a lot of cross-over with characters & objects from one planet series making cameos on other planet series and stuff.

For people that like sci-fi and fantasy together, it's a really cool series. Just keep in mind his first few published Cosmere books Elantris and Mistborn 1-3 are his younger, weaker writing. They're short, interesting and solid, but for me it wasn't until Warbreaker after those that I really got into Cosmere. You can start with Warbreaker or the novella The Emperor's Soul which is very good.

Just don't start with Stormlight #1 Way of Kings. It's good but it's a very slow start and not representative of his books.

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:40:38 PM »
With all this LoTR talk lately, think I might try the series after I finish a couple more books.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »
If you want an epic high fantasy series with a shit ton of characters that is FULLY FINISHED then read Steven Erickson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen series.

The first book or two you won't know wtf is going on but keep going. It's worth it.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
There is no better fantasy than Malazan and anyone who disagrees deserves to be sent to a gulag with their extended family. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 05:14:23 PM »
neverwhere  ;)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »
earthsea quartet, esp if potter was your jam. similar vibe, rowling def cribbed a bunch. actually written well though by a real queen of the medium.
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
The Vorrh Trilogy if you want some more low fantasy (lol Harry Potter). I enjoyed it quite a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vorrh
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 06:12:34 AM »
Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

It's science fantasy, but whatever.

Seeing that Discworld hasn't been mentioned yet, any of the books beyond the first two range from good to fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:19:19 AM by HardcoreRetro »