Author Topic: As the Bore's #1 Nintendo fanboy, I'm calling it  (Read 5686 times)

Himu

Re: As the Bore's #1 Nintendo fanboy, I'm calling it
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »
What would make it the GOAT is a unified digital library of all Nintendo exclusives (and some third party games) from NES to Wii-U. This won't happen due to releasing ports for full price makes way too much money.

This is genuinely a problem with Japanese publishers in general though. Konami could've released MGS 1-3 on a hundred different platforms by now, but risk aversion has a death grip on older games being officially supported on more platforms.

So far, Microsoft is the only console manufacturer/publisher that has unified their entire platform.

There's also the half assing. Like they really released Mario 64 and didn't give it a new camera or anything in 2020.

It's amazing how Nintendo treats its earlier 3d efforts. They have Mario 64 ds and the OoT 3ds remake and I doubt the OoT switch release will have the features of the 3ds version nor look as good.

Wii U did a good job unifying their systems by including gamecube, gba; etc. Games on the virtual console but yeah. Switch, today, still doesn't even let you play n64 games.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:36:14 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:29 AM »
What would make it the GOAT is a unified digital library of all Nintendo exclusives (and some third party games) from NES to Wii-U. This won't happen due to releasing ports for full price makes way too much money.

This is genuinely a problem with Japanese publishers in general though. Konami could've released MGS 1-3 on a hundred different platforms by now, but risk aversion has a death grip on older games being officially supported on more platforms.

So far, Microsoft is the only console manufacturer/publisher that has unified their entire platform.

There's also the half assing. Like they really released Mario 64 and didn't give it a new camera or anything in 2020.

It seems like they really rushed that collection out, and I don't understand why. I also don't understand what the point of making it a limited release, even on the eShop, is.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »

It seems like they really rushed that collection out, and I don't understand why. I also don't understand what the point of making it a limited release, even on the eShop, is.

Limited scarcity to build hype. Just laziness and greed.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »

But it's MARIO.  It doesn't need hype! :dizzy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
Seriously though, can we talk about comparing NBA Jam with Splatoon 2?  WTF?

:rofl
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
:dead

But it's MARIO.  It doesn't need hype! :dizzy
Hence greed
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2021, 02:01:24 PM »

NBA Jam was an arcade take on a popular genre at the time focused on multiplayer (Sports).
Splatoon 2 is an arcade take on a popular genre at the time focused on multiplayer (Shooting).
Super Castlevania IV was in a way a remake of the first Castlevania.
I would say the closest thing we have to the Castlevania games (always known for their high difficulty) are the 'souls' games.

Like I said, it's apples and oranges because there has been in a change in popular genres and game studios.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2021, 02:23:42 PM »
yamauchi never would have allowed for some of this chit  :tocry

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2021, 02:37:47 PM »
All lists of "best [insert whatever] ever!" are inherently subjective and valid for whoever is making them. In my head I just add "for me, Tasty the ninthing/googlething" or whatever as appropriate whenever I see any of these.

Having said that, it's interesting to see how different people weigh different factors in determining stuff. Like, I hate handhelds so the fact that Switch is portable is completely irrelevant to me but so many of you care about it for whatever reason.
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »

Wii 15 years ago offered NES, SNES and N64 games on day1. Mario64 was significantly cheaper to get than it is now. They localized games like Sin & Punishment for the first time, while they were at it. Added MegaDrive, NeoGeo, TurboGrafx/PC Engine and others. Realistically, if they continued from there, they'd have a huge Virtual Console by now - from all generations. But Nintendo mostly works backwards, so currently they have their weakest Virtual Console to date.  :doge  And why not, when manchildren sperge over a fullpriced Skyward Sword port dump as summer season's big release.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:09:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2021, 03:00:40 PM »
All lists of "best [insert whatever] ever!" are inherently subjective and valid for whoever is making them. In my head I just add "for me, Tasty the ninthing/googlething" or whatever as appropriate whenever I see any of these.

Love you bb :heart

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
 #1 :doge

I don't get the console I guess. seems solidly middle of the road.

I don't care about portability, smash and animal crossing don't really resonate with me, I didn't get that into splatoon and I still haven't finished odyssey. I think nearly every other Nintendo console I've ever purchased (snes, gc, wii, wii u) had released more games in its first 3/4 years that resonated with me than this. not even considering handheld here.

snes and gc are both comfortably better in terms of creativity and great software. can see switch catching up, but at the moment it ain't got it. its just port city
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:56:37 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »

Having said that, it's interesting to see how different people weigh different factors in determining stuff. Like, I hate handhelds so the fact that Switch is portable is completely irrelevant to me but so many of you care about it for whatever reason.

I do not own a tv. The only reason I've been able to play video games the past few months is the Switch.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2021, 07:33:33 PM »
I play Switch docked on my LG OLED :lawd

For me there's enough Switch games to keep me busy but it'll depend on the rest of this year and next year where this thing will end on the Nintendo tier list.
Overall I just love the Pro Controller, short loading times and fast UI. Nintendo could've done better though, the first 2 years were just one release after the other and after they delayed Fire Emblem things significantly slowed down.
I hope they get back on a roll with Splatoon 3, Metroid Prime 4, Bayo 3 and BOTW 2. But it has also been 3 years since games like Kirby Star Allies came out. Not to mention the growing list of untouched IP's like Golden Sun, Donkey Kong and Star Fox.

So either they're dragging their feet because sales are this good or they're doing more than just direct sequels to their 1st and 2nd batch of Switch games.
🤴

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »
Preorder monster hunter stories 2 for clear skin!

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2021, 08:19:33 PM »

NBA Jam was an arcade take on a popular genre at the time focused on multiplayer (Sports).
Splatoon 2 is an arcade take on a popular genre at the time focused on multiplayer (Shooting).

That is the broadest description ever.  The two games are absolutely nothing alike.   Nor would I call Splatoon "arcade" anything. 

This is like comparing Mario 64 with Resident Evil.  Nobody would do th--

:awesome

I would say the closest thing we have to the Castlevania games (always known for their high difficulty) are the 'souls' games.

:mindblown

Bloodstained is the apt comparison to Castlevania, not Dark Souls. :dizzy  Circle Of The Moon 1 and 2 are the platform-style CVs and Ritual Of The Night is the SOTN analogue.
ど助平

Fifstar

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2021, 06:47:07 AM »
#1 :doge

I don't get the console I guess. seems solidly middle of the road.

I don't care about portability, smash and animal crossing don't really resonate with me, I didn't get that into splatoon and I still haven't finished odyssey. I think nearly every other Nintendo console I've ever purchased (snes, gc, wii, wii u) had released more games in its first 3/4 years that resonated with me than this. not even considering handheld here.

snes and gc are both comfortably better in terms of creativity and great software. can see switch catching up, but at the moment it ain't got it. its just port city

Switch is my favourite Nintendo console since the SNES, but that's partly because I never owned a Wii U (or Wii for that matter). I can't deny that this would be a much worse experience if I had owned a Wii U. Like 70% percent of my boxed games are Wii U/Wii ports or at least had a similar version on Wii U. The Wii U ports generally also seem to be better games than the new original Switch games.

We'll see what Nintendo has in store for the next 2-3 years. One would hope with how much they relied on ports in the first 4 years that they still have some cards close to their chest. Although I kinda fear that save for Botw 2 and Metroid Prime 4 (if Retro gets their shit together) we won't see that many ambitious games. System and games seem to sell like hotcakes anyway so Nintendo probably doesn't even care.
Gulp

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »
i think i own more physical wii u games than switch :p i bought it late in the gen though when switch had just released and everything was (relatively) cheap

i got bayo and bayo 2, xeno x, 3d world, botw, smash (my friends dig it, bought the switch version for the same reason), smb u, mk8, dkc tropical freeze, zombi u, ww hd. it's a good console to have around, being able to hack it easily means you'll always have a console able to play gc and wii and have access to all the virtual console titles even if nintendo shut down access from their digital storefront. wii u rules.
◕‿◕

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
The SNES was absolutely ridiculous concerning it's library of games. I like the Switch, but I don't think I could say it's better and keep a straight face. Maybe if you weren't old enough during that period of time to remember just how dominant it was then maybe it's different.
野球

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

That is the broadest description ever.  The two games are absolutely nothing alike.   Nor would I call Splatoon "arcade" anything. 

This is like comparing Mario 64 with Resident Evil.  Nobody would do th--

:awesome

Bloodstained is the apt comparison to Castlevania, not Dark Souls. :dizzy  Circle Of The Moon 1 and 2 are the platform-style CVs and Ritual Of The Night is the SOTN analogue.
Different type of game. Like I said, apples and oranges.

Bloodstained is an indie game, not as popular as Castlevania was at the time. Which was the medieval fantasy hardcore action game. Now that torch has passed to the Souls like games.
Again, not a 1:1 comparison that I was looking to do. Some genres didn't exist on the SNES and some genres don't exist anymore on the Switch.

So really it's about being a consumer walking into a videogame store and trying to find a game.
What would a clone of someone who would buy Castlevania in 1992 purchase in 2021 that is of similar quality and popularity. I would say Dark Souls is quite an accurate guess of the type of game they would pick.
A parent looking to buy a licensed game probably bought Turtles back in the day. Now they would pick Disney/Marvel.

That makes the list difficult but also interesting. I mean, maybe the 'new' Donkey Kong Country is actually Splatoon and the 'new' NBA Jam is Smash Bros. .
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2021, 11:19:55 PM »
Different type of game. Like I said, apples and oranges.

Bloodstained is an indie game, not as popular as Castlevania was at the time. Which was the medieval fantasy hardcore action game. Now that torch has passed to the Souls like games.

...NO.  Just...no.   :lol  "medieval fantasy hardcore action game" doesn't describe Castlevania.  You just described Ghouls N' Ghosts.   :doge

and some genres don't exist anymore on the Switch.

NO.  What are you talking about?  :dizzy

So really it's about being a consumer walking into a videogame store and trying to find a game.
What would a clone of someone who would buy Castlevania in 1992 purchase in 2021 that is of similar quality and popularity. I would say Dark Souls is quite an accurate guess of the type of game they would pick.

...They would go buy Bloodstained.  Probably from the eShop since this is 2021 and people can buy games online.  They can also go google to find out about the kind of games they might like.  Then they might find that there's a Castlevania collection available and just get that.

A parent looking to buy a licensed game probably bought Turtles back in the day. Now they would pick Disney/Marvel.

Yes, in that sense.  But they would go buy whatever the hell was popular that their kid likes.  Might still be Spongebob.  Regardless, you can keep trying to swing as "apples and oranges," but somebody looking for a straight up beat-em-up is not going to go get Marvel Ultimate Alliance with the likes of Streets Of Rage 4, Fight 'N Rage, The Takeover, and others exist. 

That makes the list difficult but also interesting. I mean, maybe the 'new' Donkey Kong Country is actually Splatoon and the 'new' NBA Jam is Smash Bros. .

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?  :dizzy

The big 'new' platformer would be Mario Odyssey.  Smash Bros. would be the replacement for Street Fighter.  Learn what genres are.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
But is Halo guy a kid or a squid now?