Author Topic: is intermittent fasting legit?  (Read 1341 times)

Rman

is intermittent fasting legit?
« on: April 09, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »
been gaining some weight of late. not too bad since i'm active. not really a big diet guy. just try to eat healthy. a normal meal would have lean meats, veggies, and some carbs (rice, potatoes, pasta). don't tell me about keto. ain't happening. love me bread and rice too much. plus it's cheap and filling. 

they say fat loss is not about exercise but diet and that shite. seems fasting is a good thing?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: is intermittent fasting legit?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 02:17:40 PM »
Yes but instead of believing what others tell you why not do your own research. A lot of writing is on the subject out there, especially recently with the resurgence of interest in the way ancient man ate and lived. Bless up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
A friend of mine had decent results by starting to skip lunch.

I can't do that, but I'm permantly 65kg so it doesn't really matter.
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »
lunch for me is conditional on actually being out doing something.

if i'm sitting on ass at a computer all day i feel like i'm just topping up a full tank.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »
I’ve done 5-2 fasting (eat 5 days a week, don’t eat the other days). Lost 30 pounds with minimal activity. It’s much easier for me to not eat two days a week then to do calorie counting or be eating special stuff.

There’s always the butterfield diet too.
https://m.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Yes but instead of believing what others tell you why not do your own research. A lot of writing is on the subject out there, especially recently with the resurgence of interest in the way ancient man ate and lived. Bless up.
When it comes to nutrition, you can go online and read everything and its opposite (just look at Keto) and if you're not already a bit versed on the subject, it can end up just confusing you more.

TBH my opinion is that intermitted fasting is good if it helps you personally control what you eat better.
Like with any (reasonable) diet, the best one is the one you can sustain.

Some people like the idea of having one meal and not think about food for the rest of the day, others like the ritual of more meals during the day.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 10:08:37 PM »
Another tip I’d suggest alongside of fasting is stop going to the grocery store. If you can afford to feed yourself enough to keep the pounds on you can afford a meal kit delivery. Which will cut down on food available to you in your home substantially. And the mental temptation that comes with shopping for food and the guilt of feeling like you have to eat what you bought/made.

I gained so much because of not being active due to a major injury, still struggling with it. Before that happened I was able to maintain and continue on my journey of weight loss for the first time in my adult life. I tried keto mixed with one meal a day fasting and I felt the best I ever had in my life. The weight was melting at times, but I plateaued multiple occasions where you need to learn about your own body’s needs.

You’ve also gotta treat your relationship with food differently. It’s a luxury what we have available to us at any given time, and it’s something that we take for granted. Food is food and should be used to fuel you. That doesn’t mean you can’t indulge from time to time.

All of that plus moderate exercise or hell even a good brisk walk 60 minutes a day and you’ll have results. Provided your body isn’t a ticking timebomb waiting to sabotage you at any moment.

paprikastaude

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »
Yes, the only time I gained weight is when I started to have normal workdays and ate breakfast/lunch out of simple obligation during break, even though I don't really need anything before afternoon at all (grew up without breakfast). When I stopped, it only needed a month or two before bouncing back down, like 5-10 kg down immediately. Same thing with another job later.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 04:18:15 PM by Spieler1 »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 09:46:53 PM »
Dietitian recommended I try it. Seems to be working for me as I'm down about 3kg and heading in the right direction weight wise. Works for me because I don't really do portion control.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 09:56:41 PM »
Just eat 90% of what you're eating now?

Svejk

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 12:40:01 AM »
It's not the amount you eat, it's what you eat.  Just cut out sugars and see the difference. It's hard, but you get the best results. I'd suggest to only fast for a religious/spiritual purpose.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:23 AM »
Hey fuck you, I starve myself because I am L A Z Y

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 02:19:48 AM »
I do IF, (well I do drink black coffee sometimes and jury’s out if that counts because it activates the liver).

23/1 is my ratio

I Eat dinner / a snack from 5:30 pm to 6:30pm (1400 to 1800 calories). Don’t eat the other 23 hours.

Fruit (blue/black/raspberries), vegetable (peas/carrots or broccoli) with grilled chicken breast on top. 2 protein bars, 16 oz low sodium V8, maybe a couple light string cheeses, and some popcorn if I want a snack.

My cardiologist / gastroenterologist are amazed at my progress (dropped a ton of weight, and reversed/cured my fatty liver that had lead to NASH).

I also have a food scale, lose it app, and track my steps with Apple Watch (shoot for 12000 weekdays)

I’ve always been able to “fast” easily it’s just before I’d eat like 5000 calories of Chinese food, pizza, frito lay, and Wendy’s as my food groups  :lol
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:25:42 AM by ZombieSupaStar »

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
I've been fasting every day from 11pm to 11am with no positive results
:O

Propagandhim

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
dunno but i can tell u bout intermittent fuckin hahaa yeeeeaa boooy

Beezy

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »
I do IF, (well I do drink black coffee sometimes and jury’s out if that counts because it activates the liver).

23/1 is my ratio

I Eat dinner / a snack from 5:30 pm to 6:30pm (1400 to 1800 calories). Don’t eat the other 23 hours.

Fruit (blue/black/raspberries), vegetable (peas/carrots or broccoli) with grilled chicken breast on top. 2 protein bars, 16 oz low sodium V8, maybe a couple light string cheeses, and some popcorn if I want a snack.
Goddamn, that's dedication.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 06:17:15 PM »
I used to do IF with a 4 hour window then eventually just did one meal a day. during this period i lost like 15-18kg depending on the day, but i also started weightlifting, and tried keto and the same time so it was kind of a shotgun approach  :doge

i think cutting carbs was good, but i also think IF is pretty good. IF makes controlling portions etc a lot easier because after a lil while you kinda stop getting hungry outside of the window so you don't have to worry about snacking on stupid garbage or eating something crappy for lunch at work because you're bored. When i was really deep in I wouldn't really experience hunger until like 8pm then I'd be like shiiiit i better eat.

i thi1nk when people spin the "just calorie count and eat 5-10% less!" stuff it's the creamiest bullshit. i tried that shid and i was still a fat fuck. you have to make real changes outside of changing your mc donalds meal to a medium instead of a large.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
Yeah man just skip breakfast and drink a black coffee. Eat lunch at 12 and up your exercise. Boom.
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 08:37:37 AM »
Just have a black coffee, one apple, and a tin of tuna every day. Worked for Christian Bale

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
I use to intermittently fast by going on benders.

It works.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 01:05:13 PM »
just eat fast  :doge

Hamarr

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 06:00:50 PM »
I’ve been binge eating garbage lately.  Too depressed and I am starting to feel it physically.  I am getting back to IF.  I feel so much better and have more energy.  It’s the best way to control my appetite, too.  I’m not sure how great it does for weight loss for me, but I just feel way better when I do it.  I lost the most weight doing 16:8.  20:4 is my favorite energy wise, but my weight loss seemed slower.  Same with 23:1.

I have tried a few extended fasts as well.  The longest was 66 hours. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
I feel like fasting can often lead to over eating if you aren't careful. Like you fast for a day, and then the next day go wild because you're hungry.

Try introducing more protein into your diet and limiting carbs. Salmon, veggies, eggs, protein shakes, etc. One thing I do when the lady isn't around is eat sardines lol. I started experimenting when them last year during the quarantine. Saute some onions, broccoli and mushrooms with garlic, then open a can of sardines and throw it in there to saute as well. Sometimes I add half a cup of cooked lentils in there, which is like 20 carbs or so. Season how you want. End result is a filling, quick dish with only 20 carbs total. I feel like this may even be a better gameplan than salmon, which takes time to prep.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2021, 05:51:08 PM »
Ive been eating healthy for a month. I got a cheeseburger and a kapsalon once, but aside from that Ive been eating nothing but healthy food, salads and a lot of water. Still been walking a lot too and im stepping that up slowly to fast walking/running for small bits. Im also doing weight lifting a bit from home with some dumbells. Lost a few kg so far..
What

Himu

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2021, 01:24:06 PM »
I feel like fasting can often lead to over eating if you aren't careful. Like you fast for a day, and then the next day go wild because you're hungry.

Try introducing more protein into your diet and limiting carbs. Salmon, veggies, eggs, protein shakes, etc. One thing I do when the lady isn't around is eat sardines lol. I started experimenting when them last year during the quarantine. Saute some onions, broccoli and mushrooms with garlic, then open a can of sardines and throw it in there to saute as well. Sometimes I add half a cup of cooked lentils in there, which is like 20 carbs or so. Season how you want. End result is a filling, quick dish with only 20 carbs total. I feel like this may even be a better gameplan than salmon, which takes time to prep.

It can. The trick is not *just* fast. Like, also get smaller plates and learn how to eat less in general. When I eat, I just eat. No phone or any distractions. This helps me learn when I'm full and concentrate solely on my food.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »
TL; DR: I think it works, but there are some caveats.

I did a 16:8 fasting program for a little over three months. I lost nearly 5 kg, but then stopped losing weight. I have since recognized that the primary problem was that I was still drinking whiskey when I last supposedly entered my fasting period.  So I did not actually have the burn that was needed for for 16 hours.

I found it was pretty simple to just drink coffee in the morning and stay hydrated until noon. Make sure that I eat by 8 PM. Some of it was more difficult to manage than others, because I was waiting on family to come home later. If I attempt it again, it’ll be no drinking outside of those hours, and also trying to eat to normal meals, and not a bunch of other access.