Author Topic: Your least favorite post-crash year  (Read 1845 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Your least favorite post-crash year
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:58:00 AM »
So, there was some discussion on the Doxxing Files other forum containment post - talking about Morrigan who said that 2007 was a terrible year where she didn't like any games. Others argued that 2007 was the best year ever. While I'm somewhat divided on 2007 (it wasn't as memorable as a lot of other years for me, I liked 2006 and 8 much more, but I'd hardly call it the worst), I was wondering what people here thought was the worst post-crash year.

I think for me the worst post-crash years would be from 2011 to 2014... this time was when I started to lose a lot of interest in then-current games and was fearful that things wouldn't get better, causing a negative chain reaction increasing my apathy towards gaming. It seemed that the anti-Japanese-gaming movement was at its peak in the west (especially among game "journalists") and thus a lot of Japanese companies were skittish on localizing games. The 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP were all winding down and starting to feel long-in-the-tooth, the 3DS had a bit of a failure to launch early on, the WiiU and Vita were practically stillbirths. PS4 and Xbone libraries also felt slow on the uptake, and there was a huge narrative that mobile/gatcha gaming would crush everything in its path, especially wrt Japanese gaming. There were a few bright spots but nothing mindblowing (I'd say out of this period, 3D World was a personal favorite, along with finally getting long overdue US releases of Trails in the Sky, Ys Origin, Soul Hackers, and Xenoblade).
^_^

BisMarckie

Re: Your least favorite post-crash year
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:12:37 PM »
Fact check: The video game crash never happened in Yurop :ufup

I think the first couple of years of the Ps4/xbone are easily my least favorite. There was nothing good coming out. People were hyping up mediocre jank like Dragon Age Inquisition as some GOTY material. The first big games for that gen came out in 2015 like Bloodborne, MGS V and Witxher(even tho I didn’t care for that one)l Until then the best game was the GTA V port.
Japan was practically dead.

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:42 PM »
2008 was pretty shitty iirc.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:32:11 PM »
Fact check: The video game crash never happened in Yurop :ufup

Nor Japan but too bad because THIS IS MURKAH BITCHES!!!
Though to be honest I just wanted to pick a cutoff just so people aren't like... "well 1972 was a shitty year, the Magnavox Odyssey sucked ass".

I'm actually surprised you of all people would say 2008 - Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, Wii Fit, Pokemon Platinum (Japan), Mega Man 9, Wario Land: Shake It, Animal Crossing Wii, Kirby Super Star Ultra.

For me 2008 was the best year of the PS3/360/DS/PSP/Wii gen - lots of my favorite under-the-radar games like Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Wild Arms XF, Suikoden Tierkreis, Cubello... along with some of my absolute favorite bigger games of that gen like Rez HD, Vesperia, CT DS, the US releases of Lost Odyssey and Persona 3 Fes, and Mirror's Edge. There was also GTA4, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, which I didn't really care for any of them but a lot would consider good and were pretty huge releases.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:57:33 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:03 PM »
probs 2016 recently, that was a year where i barely played anything other than sports games, first year of ps4/xbone was pretty shit too as stated above, but none of the hot releases of 2016 appealed to me (overwatch) or i actively despised (uncharted 4)
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:36 PM »
Was going to say that for myself as well...  Besides releases, I got laid off (among other big life changes) and ended up selling every game and system I had besides my PS3 and MGS4.  Was a darker period for me... that skewed my perception on games during that period.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »
1987, cuz my parents wouldn't buy me an NES. :maf
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
probs 2016 recently, that was a year where i barely played anything other than sports games, first year of ps4/xbone was pretty shit too as stated above, but none of the hot releases of 2016 appealed to me (overwatch) or i actively despised (uncharted 4)

Yeah that year seemed pretty slow as far as big releases go - the biggest ones for me were definitely FFXV and The Last Guardian, both of which ended up being disappointments. SO5 and Exist Archive also came out that year but both ended up sucking... My favorite games that year were DQ Builders and Rez Infinite.

That being said, a lot of great games finally saw localization in 2016 - Cold Steel 2, Xanadu Next (after like 10 years!), and DQ7 3DS.

The list of critically acclaimed games is weird too, some shit I've never heard of before, not even in passing. WTF is Tumblestone, Out of the Park Baseball '17, Tadpole Trouble, and (the biggest wtf) Stevens Sausage Roll ???
^_^

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
2016 looks worse in hindsight too sandwiched between probably the two hottest years of the last gen
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 01:17:36 PM »

I'm actually surprised you of all people would say 2008 - Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, Wii Fit, Pokemon Platinum (Japan), Mega Man 9, Wario Land: Shake It, Animal Crossing Wii, Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Was personally shitty for a variety of (mostly) Nintendo-exclusive reasons:

- E3 2008 bomba (RAFI DRUMS)
- Sonic Unleashed looking like a return to form... and then werehog
- Wanting RE5 on Wii despite not really liking what the PS360 version looked to be, anyways
- Mega hyped for Animal Crossing: City Folk... stopped playing after two weeks -- still the worst of the main AC games
- My Wii couldn't play double-sided discs, so sent to Nintendo when Brawl came out... came back, worked for a day, then had to send it back again :-\
- Constant Brawl delays and the leaks from the earlier Japan release had deflated all hype by the US launch anyways -- as Sakurai lamented, all the cutscenes ended up on YouTube immediately, SSE seemed like a dud, and the base gameplay to anyone with even mild amounts of skill seemed like a step back (#tripping)
- Mario Kart Wii was OK, but somehow graphically a step back from Double Dash :doge Not that graphics matter but the presentation is fathoms below what Mario Kart 8 would launch as

Thinking about it for this post, I still stand by my initial post. :obama

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 01:45:27 PM »
Post-crash as in the early 80's crash?

If so, I think I might have to go with 1995.  That year had some big releases and system launches, sure, but most of that was in the fall of that year.  I recall it being kind of dead up until September- the Saturn had its early surprise launch and nobody cared, the Virtual Boy came out and was D.O.A., plus Street Fighter Alpha hit arcades- and that's all that comes to mind before things picked up with the Playstation launch and Yoshi's Island.

I think 2005 might be the same in this regard, but I'd have to go back and see what came out.  I don't recall much going on until the 360 came out and apart from some arcade releases and Ninja Gaiden Black, it was like everyone just kind of gave up on the current platforms at the time to wait for the upcoming ones.

talking about Morrigan who said that 2007 was a terrible year where she didn't like any games.

Pretty sure any year is a terrible year where she doesn't like any games.  :doge
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 02:00:28 PM »
2021 maybe a consensus contender if things continue to go the way its looking like :doge
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »
2005 kicked off with RE4 :obama

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »

If so, I think I might have to go with 1995.  That year had some big releases and system launches, sure, but most of that was in the fall of that year.  I recall it being kind of dead up until September- the Saturn had its early surprise launch and nobody cared, the Virtual Boy came out and was D.O.A., plus Street Fighter Alpha hit arcades- and that's all that comes to mind before things picked up with the Playstation launch and Yoshi's Island.

I think 2005 might be the same in this regard, but I'd have to go back and see what came out.  I don't recall much going on until the 360 came out and apart from some arcade releases and Ninja Gaiden Black, it was like everyone just kind of gave up on the current platforms at the time to wait for the upcoming ones.

talking about Morrigan who said that 2007 was a terrible year where she didn't like any games.

Pretty sure any year is a terrible year where she doesn't like any games.  :doge

95 was an absolute killer year for me - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Yoshi's Island, DKC2, Lunar 2, the US release of Phantasy Star 4, the JP releases of Alien Soldier, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 3, Terranigma, Suikoden, and Tales of Phantasia. The US launches of Saturn and PS1.

05 was also pretty good, thanks to DQ8 and the 2 Digital Devil Saga games. Also RE4, DK Jungle Beat, the US launch of the PSP (which had a great launch lineup), Mario Kart DS, Shadow of the Colossus, and Metroid Prime Pinball.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 02:04:05 PM »
2021 maybe a consensus contender if things continue to go the way its looking like :doge

Gamers looking to Nintendo this E3 be like

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 02:46:19 PM »
2014 is the most memorable for me. It was turbo trash.

Bayonetta 2 was probably the best thing released that year and it was locked to the WiiU. We now have that portable and on better hardware.

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 03:21:14 PM »
Oh yeah and I spent two week's dishwashing pay on the full band set for Guitar Hero World Tour in 2008 :stahp And the drums were fucking defective :stahp

Fuck you Kotick :stahp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 04:19:54 PM »
Capgods saving 2021 with Resident Evil: Big Lady and MonHan
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Capgods saving 2021 with Resident Evil: Big Lady and MonHan

Capcom is best third party ever :rejoice :gladbron :obama

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 04:40:43 PM »
The whole PS360 generation was a dump.

EDIT- Before you list some decent titles: Even in a dump you can occasionally find a working toaster.

Himu

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »
2011-2015 were the most awful years I've ever experienced as a game fan. You could even include 2008 to 2010 if we are talking console games. So bad I took a multi-year break off games and haven't had the same relationship with the medium since. Literally made me fall out of love with games.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
2014 was an utterly forgettable year in video games but is especially bad imo because GamerGate™ occurred and ruined all video game websites, communities, and journalists. It's kinda cheating to pick though since it was the first year in that console generation.

2015 was probably a bit better but MGSV and Fallout 4 were my most anticipated games and they were both huge disappointments.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 05:23:48 PM »
2008: Dead Space, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mirror’s Edge, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, and MGS4.

2014: Ground Zeroes (better than MGSV proper), The Evil Within, and Bayonetta 2.

Even “bad years” have some pretty good shit, and I’m probably forgetting some nice stuff  :idont
Margs

Himu

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »
2008: Dead Space, Ninja Gaiden 2, Mirror’s Edge, Mega Man 9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, and MGS4.

2014: Ground Zeroes (better than MGSV proper), The Evil Within, and Bayonetta 2.

Even “bad years” have some pretty good shit, and I’m probably forgetting some nice stuff  :idont

2008-2010 had lots of good stuff. It's mostly notable because of disappointments like GTAIV and MGS4.

2014, The Evil Within is partly why I quit games. I was playing it and didn't see the point in playing games anymore. Haven't played since.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »

:curious :curious :curious

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 05:55:44 PM »
2012/2013/2014 for me.

I remember not having much to play in 2012 and then finally the Wii U came out and it was a dud.
Then I bought the Xbox One with Destiny because Wii U wasn't going anywhere and that was a big dissapointment too.

Bioshock Infinite was alright but not nearly as good as you'd expect. Resident Evil 6 was meh. There were just so many games that weren't living up to expectations.
There was just stuff out there that had no other purpose than to twist the knife like Epic Mickey 2 or Battlefield 4 which took years of patches before it became playable.

Nintendo thankfully got the ball rolling again with the Switch which I got when Splatoon 2 released.
Everything Xbox was trash and I was mostly playing PC games until I got the Xbox One X in 2018.
Metal Gear Solid V despite it faults sort of felt like a turning point.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 08:39:05 PM »

95 was an absolute killer year for me - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Yoshi's Island, DKC2, Lunar 2, the US release of Phantasy Star 4, the JP releases of Alien Soldier, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 3, Terranigma, Suikoden, and Tales of Phantasia. The US launches of Saturn and PS1.

Let's go back to that year- did you actually play the JP releases of Alien Soldier, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 3, Terranigma, Suikoden, and Tales of Phantasia at that time?  Would take those away if you didn't. 

I think for me it was largely my being super, super into fighting games during this time and frequenting arcades.  Didn't really care about what was left on the SNES so there wasn't a whole lot going on when I was at home.  I probably played my Gameboy more. 

But again, I'm only putting down '95 because I feel like most of the year didn't offer much, but then things exploded in the fall.  The Playstation 1 was the first console I saved up to buy and I went nuts for it and the 'arcade quality' (sorta, lol) releases it got.  I also got the Sega Nomad in the fall and went on to go buy a shitload of Genesis games dirt cheap.  That was my first time owning a Genesis and I ended up liking it more than the SNES.

How could I forget this?? 
:stahp

It was a masterpiece!  Played the absolute shit out of it- but then was bored again after I'd played it to death over a week or two.  I remember getting crap like Death By Degrees following RE4 and being so disappointed.  :lol
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 08:55:56 PM »

Let's go back to that year- did you actually play the JP releases of Alien Soldier, Seiken Densetsu 3, Romancing SaGa 3, Terranigma, Suikoden, and Tales of Phantasia at that time?  Would take those away if you didn't. 

I think for me it was largely my being super, super into fighting games during this time and frequenting arcades.  Didn't really care about what was left on the SNES so there wasn't a whole lot going on when I was at home.  I probably played my Gameboy more. 

But again, I'm only putting down '95 because I feel like most of the year didn't offer much, but then things exploded in the fall.  The Playstation 1 was the first console I saved up to buy and I went nuts for it and the 'arcade quality' (sorta, lol) releases it got.  I also got the Sega Nomad in the fall and went on to go buy a shitload of Genesis games dirt cheap.  That was my first time owning a Genesis and I ended up liking it more than the SNES.

It was a masterpiece!  Played the absolute shit out of it- but then was bored again after I'd played it to death over a week or two.  I remember getting crap like Death By Degrees following RE4 and being so disappointed.  :lol

WELL ACKSHUALLY, I did play TOP and Seiken 3 - got them for Christmas 95. DQ6 (also 1995) the following year... :P
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 07:33:25 AM »

WELL ACKSHUALLY, I did play TOP and Seiken 3 - got them for Christmas 95. DQ6 (also 1995) the following year... :P

So...at the end of the year.  Which is my whole point about the year being kinda dry until the fall.   :P
ど助平