Author Topic: playerWON launches to bring TV ads to console/PC gaming  (Read 1910 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
playerWON launches to bring TV ads to console/PC gaming
« on: July 02, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »
https://www.axios.com/playerwon-launches-tv-ads-console-games-1c02dd1a-2f6d-4e02-bd8d-b6f8b870f844.html
A first-of-its-kind in-game advertising platform called playerWON launches this week, allowing big-name marketers that are used to running splashy TV ads the ability to target younger demographics with similar types of spots that will run in video games.

The platform, which is owned and operated by Simulmedia, a TV ad tech company, will let users determine whether they want to watch a 15 or 30-second video ad in exchange for being able to unlock exclusive gaming perks.

Simulmedia has struck deals with some of the world's biggest gaming studios, including Electronic Arts (EA) and Tencent's Hi-Rez Studios, its EVP, Gaming and OTT Dave Madden told Axios.
How it works: Simulmedia, which has been testing console gaming ads for over a year, collects and vets ad spots from big brands that would typically run on TV.

Using Simulmedia's technology, developers can code those ads into their games. They then can decide which rewards to provide to gamers in exchange for them to agree to watch an ad.

Through its ad server, Simulmedia is able to see whether an ad is completed. It then sends a notification that you can release rewards to the player. Rewards can vary from in-game currency to skins (costumes) for gaming avatars.

In its research, Simulmedia has found that players are willing to watch up to 10 ads per day in order to unlock free perks. The company is able to calculate how much video inventory it needs to provide gaming companies by multiplying a games daily active user (DAU) count by 10.

Be smart: "The acceleration of Free-to-play (F2P) games across Console and PC, like Fortnite, Apex Legends, Call of Duty Warzone and Roblox, means that audiences and play time have seen explosive growth, yet the vast majority of players, over 90%, never spend money F2P games," Madden said.
Data from one of Simulmedia's pilot campaigns with Smite, a F2P multiplayer battle arena game from Tencent's Hi-Rez Studios, shows that players were much more likely (22%) to play a game and spend money within the game (11%), if they watched in-game ads that gave them access to more gaming perks.
Madden said the goal is to contiune building out a network of advertisers and games that they can connect through its platform, growing the nascent in-console ad market.

It plans to launch in-game ads in roughly a dozen more games by the year's end.
So basically mobile gaming type ads? Sounds great, can't wait to [PLEASE WATCH THIS 30 SECOND AD TO CONTINUE WITH READING THIS POST]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: playerWON launches to bring TV ads to console/PC gaming
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »
Good to see features from AdVenture Communist finally getting brought over to the AAA gaming space.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:33:00 AM »
Was it in a NBA2k game or a EA UFC game where they tried slipping in ads and people went fucking nuts, maybe both?

In FTP shit who cares as long as they're not outrageous :trumps
(ice)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 11:36:42 AM »
NBA2K has had "ads" on its loading screens for a couple years now. It's technically a "show" that mostly advertises stuff you can buy ingame.

It's amusing in the PC version because I've always been able to tell that it waits for the ads since it loads the game faster off my hard drive than the ads download and play. I think BisMarkie said it was the same in the PS5/XSX versions with the new SSDs.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 11:46:37 AM »
At least they let you win 100vc with the little quiz during those, its like 2k are paying you to watch :doge

the load screens are certainly artificially long on 2k even on last gen consoles too, why does it take nearly as long to load one game on 2k as it does the whole shebang on RDR2?
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
Advertising continuing to be one of the worst industries created.  This is a surefire way to keep me away from the games and companies that use this.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »
NBA2K has had "ads" on its loading screens for a couple years now. It's technically a "show" that mostly advertises stuff you can buy ingame.

There was also some VC adds on the studio desk for the pre game show, and some bullshit video you couldn't skip in my player for some shoe release in 2k19 IIRC.
itm

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 07:25:20 AM »