Author Topic: What popular/long-running series have you never played?  (Read 2352 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
What popular/long-running series have you never played?
« on: August 19, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
Trying to think about this... for a while my biggest 'shames' were never having played a Pokeymans (other than Snap), and only playing an hour or two of Kingdom Hearts, and none of Yakuza even though I own nearly the whole US-released series (still missing Kiwami 2). But in '18 I beat Pokemon Yellow and KH1, and I'm really far into Yakuza 7... but here are some other series I never played or have only played a very little bit of:

Monster Hunter - I've played maybe 10 minutes of the 3DS game at NY Comic Con one year, but nothing beyond that. I'm not so much a multiplayer/online gamer so the main appeal of the franchise wears short, though I do love the monster and environmental design.

Civilization - long running series but I don't particularly care for these types of games, just seems super dry and uninteresting to me... I think the SNES Sim City is like the only hardcore simulation game I ever got into.

Baldur's Gate - now I'll readily admit I'm not a big western RPG guy but I've played at least one game in most of the big guns - Mass Effect, Ultima, Witcher, Fallout... but never played any of the Baldur's Gate games (Planescape is the only Infinity Engine game I played). Just never got around to them, though if I'm craving a WRPG I'd want to play through Witcher 3 and Disco Elysium first.

Elder Scrolls - well, I've played a few hours of Oblivion (made it out of the intro dungeon and I think closed one of the gates), but never really bothered with this series. I'm not a fan of the excessive jank of Bethesda's games tbh.

Might and Magic - think I played a bit of a Genesis port of one of them back at Funcoland, but dungeon crawlers have never really been my jam, even today. Probably has some of the best aesthetics of the early wrpgs though.

Diablo - only played a bit of the first one at MAGFest a few years back. Would the D2 remake be a good place to start?

Phoenix Wright - kinda missed the boat on this franchise, truthfully I did not get into the VN genre till 999, I'm not big into law drama, dunno how much law drama+anime wackiness would draw me in.

Warcraft - I played quite a bit of Starcraft in the late 90s-early 00s with friends, but none of them were into Warcraft for whatever reason (high fantasy setting maybe?). Also don't play MMOs so I missed out on WOW.

Battlefield - not much for the super srs bzns military shooters, playing COD4 and Black Ops back in the 360 days was enough for me
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What popular/long-running series have you never played?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »
Metal Gear Solid
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:04:12 PM »
Of the OP, I've played MH, Civ (BE), and Warcraft (well, WoW lololol.)

Always wanted to play Elder Scrolls (specifically Morrowind, maybe patched?) and Fallout (specifically New Vegas.)

I've played Final Fantasy (3 DS, CC series) and Kingdom Hearts (CoM, DDD), but not Dragon Quest yet.

I actually have a copy of The Last of Us on PS3 I never played... Never touched Gears of War or Uncharted either and doubt I ever will at this point. Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Twisted Metal yes; Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, and Jack & Daxter, no.

There's hope I'll play a Mass Effect game... at some point.

As for Nintendo, there's a few stones left I haven't uncovered, but the biggest is probably Pikmin. Never played even a second of it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:09:25 PM by Tasty »

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 05:05:27 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:17 PM »
I don't play RTS or MMO games so I missed out on a lot of that

Also Phoenix Wright rules, you need to play them
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 05:42:09 PM »
AssCrud- don't get it at all, just looks like total shit to me, don't like the Ubi Formula, etc

I've played various CoDs and Battlefields but it's been like almost 10 years, pvp fps games are increasingly for morons (sorry to any morons reading this, if you're capable of reading anyway)

League/DOTA/whatever- looks boring as dog shit, having to play with other people is repugnant

Pikmin- a bastardized watered down babby abomination of the strategy genre. No.

Fortnite/PUBG/whatever- if your various CoDs and Battlefields are games for morons, these are games for the brain damaged younger siblings of those morons

Minecraft- no

(I specifically didn't mention MMOs because they are not games, but I don't play those either because I'm a decent human being)
yar

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »
Dragon Quest
Uncharted
League/DOTA/whatever
These. Sony has given away Uncharted Collection plus Uncharted 4 via PS+ and I can't be bothered to boot them. :teehee

I've tried multiple times to get into Bethesda open world stuff and always bounce off. I put around 6-8 hours into Fallout 3 and quit. Put around 10 into a heavily modded version of Skyrim Special Edition and lost interest. Put 5 or 6 hours into Fallout 4. I just always end up hating the combat of these games and it kills any interest for me. 

archnemesis

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 03:12:46 AM »
For me it's mostly MMOs and GaaS games. I haven't tried League of Legends, Dota 2, Overwatch, or Titanfall at all. Fortnite and Roblox I've tried for an hour an decided that they are not for me.

When it comes to single player games I think I've at least sampled every popular series except Red Dead Redemption and Warioware.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 04:07:35 AM »

Pikmin- a bastardized watered down babby abomination of the strategy genre. No.

RIP

pour one out for this take
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:51 AM »
Pokeemanz - Never have, never will.
Persona/SMT - Tried about 20-30 minutes of the first 2 on PS1 and P3P... Totally not my thing... I simply don't get the appeal.
Sony cartoony games; Sly, Jak, and Ratchet - meh
Any online competitive FPS or arena game - Dooty, Quake, Fortnite, PUGB, whatever....

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »
Metroid
ass creed(tried a few times, but never more than a few hours. It's just so... bad)
Any sport game really that wasnt PES or Fifa (but stopped those two as well now)
Sonic
Kingdom hearts
Animal Crossing
Watch Dogs
Monster Hunter
Mario Party
Gears (only like an hour or two at a friends)
Spyro
Borderlands
Super Smash Bros.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 09:31:56 AM »
Hmm, some more I missed that this thread reminded me of.

Red Dead Redemption - played like the first hour or two of the first one a while back at a friend's house, but never bought a copy for myself to sit down and play.

DOTA/League of Legends/etc - I've watched videos to see what the big deal is and I am totally confused as to wtf is going on. Plus I'm not much for multi unless it's a fighting game...

Banjo, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Jak - Kinda missed the boat on the 3D platformer genre with the exception of Mario. Not owning an N64 back in the day during the heyday of the genre kinda had something to do with it. However I did play through the latest Ratchet game last month.

Rayman - don't know why I never got around to this since I love 2D platformers and some of the games have real nice art

Shantae - a Metroidvania with great character design, attractive 2D graphics, and music by Jake Kaufman? Totally my kinda series, but it's one of those things that I always forget about and then when I go to look for the games on the secondhand market, the prices are ridiculous. Hoping they make a collection of all the games some day.

Mainline SMT - I've played through a bunch of the spinoffs (DDS1-2, P3-5, Soul Hackers)... but I haven't played the core series aside from getting my ass kicked by Matador in 3 back in the day. No real excuse for this one.

Tom Clancy anything - :zzz
^_^

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »
Would strongly suggest anyone interested in League to play Wild Rift. Still a learning curve, but the games are much shorter and easier to pick up/put down because its mobile
jon

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
Final Fantasy.  Not a fan of RPGs in general, especially JRPGs.

Borealis

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 06:59:49 PM »
Every Japanese franchise apart from MH: World (can't wash out the PC port's stench at launch honestly), Pokemon, and some Souls. No dislike at all, just not interested.

Fighting games

MOBAs - I'll watch the competitive tournaments with mates, but loath to play the genre of games that helped kill off RTSs for a good decade or so (not like RTS devs/pubs doing it themselves too  :fbm).

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
Honeypop games

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »
never touched a final fantasy  :)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »
never touched a final fantasy  :)

ur my final fantasy bb  :freeze
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
Most of the non-weeb ones, especially if it came from PC like RTS, WRPGs, FPS, MMO, etc. But I probably played most the weeb ones at this point, excluding niche pedo shit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:22:10 PM by Spieler1 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
Most of the non-weeb ones. But I probably played most the weeb ones at this point, excluding niche pedo shit.

Yeah I think the last western AAA game I played was the new Ratchet, then prior to that, Doom 2016 in 2016 and prior to that, Last of Us and GTAV when I got my PS4 (2014? Maybe, that was the most forgettable year of my life). Though I might pick up the Ghost of Tsushima PS5 remake since it looks so purdy. Learned pretty quickly into the 360/PS3 gen that most ofr those games are not for me.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 01:04:03 PM »
All the N64 ones i suppose.
Other platformers like Ratchet, Sly, Spyro.
I like only like platformers when they stay purely about jumping, like the 3d Mario ones, or at least the first Jak & Dexter, compared to the sequels (which i also haven't played long).

Also Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest, are two other that come to mind, must've played like 2 minutes of KH1 and 15 minutes of DQVIII and XI combined.

I'll also say Fatal Frame, which is weird since i like horror games, i just couldn't get into the Japanese ghosts as a scary proposition.
But i do love Siren, which shares some vibes with it.

Metal Gear Solid

Oh yeah, this too.
Apologies for stereotyping, but how did you miss one of the homoerotic games in the medium?

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »
I wasn't interested in the series in the Twin Snakes days and every mainline game or collection otherwise has had an aversion to Nintendo hardware. Nearly bought the apparrntly-horrendous MGS 3D port.

Maybe someday, on PC. Maybe.

If I wanted to marathon the series I'm fucked anyways cause Guns of the Patriots is still only on one system that died almost 10 years ago.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit weird how such an iconic franchise is so difficult to get to if you don't have multiple platforms. :thinking
1, 2 and 3 are the crucial ones though, should be doable through ps1 & 2 emulation.

paprikastaude

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit weird how such an iconic franchise is so difficult to get to if you don't have multiple platforms. :thinking
1, 2 and 3 are the crucial ones though, should be doable through ps1 & 2 emulation.

I mean, Nintenonlies naturally missed out on 80% of all iconic games since like 1995  :foodcourt MGS was on multiple PS and Xbox platforms.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:54:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »
Yeah but when like, Vita gets the MGS collection, it stings, ngl. 🤷‍♂️

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »
tbh MGS has 2 great games in the series, one pretty good one, and two absolute atrocious pieces of shit. Kojima with a babysitter and editor is the only Kojima worth playing.
yar

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
Kingdom Hearts - What kind of distinguished mentally-challenged fellow sees that shit and says, "that's for me!"
Crash Bandicoot - If I wanted to play a second rate "Mario-killer", i'd play sonic.
The Sims - no
Dragonball anything - anime is trash
Gears of War - never was impressed by dudebro culture
Devil May Cry - never seemed interesting

My list of popular series that I've played for less than an hour and noped out of without ever returning is monumental though. I really don't know how some people put up with janky gameplay and barely controllable shite.
Spud

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2021, 04:34:22 PM »
I'd like to say I've never played a Zelda game but I've played a couple of those POSes

naff

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
I played Strange Journey but it's not really a mainline title right? I've got SMTIII waiting in the wings. I've never played Monster Hunter

It's funny to see MGS2 and Zelda shitting here considering they're two of the most consistent series in gaming, and OoT and MGS2 are masterpieces. This is why the discord is better; members with taste  :miyamoto
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2021, 10:33:34 PM »
Ohh Kingdom Hearts. I guess I played one demo, but I'm not going to touch it beyond that. :holeup

I played Strange Journey but it's not really a mainline title right?

It was going to be SMT4 originally. It's also one of the best games in the series.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
I played Strange Journey but it's not really a mainline title right? I've got SMTIII waiting in the wings. I've never played Monster Hunter

It's funny to see MGS2 and Zelda shitting here considering they're two of the most consistent series in gaming, and OoT and MGS2 are masterpieces. This is why the discord is better; members with taste  :miyamoto

Shitting on Zelda is Sceneman's thing; I don't get it, but we al have our weirdness.

MGS and MGS3 are legitimate masterpieces. MGS4 is terrible, and MGS2 becomes a literal parody of itself. I beat the game in 2002 or whenever it came out and as the stupid, nonsensical, generated by a room full of autistic monkeys with typewriters final cutscene was playing out, I got up, made myself a sandwich, came back into the living room 10-15 minutes later and that shit was still going on. If there are two things I can't abide in games, it's interrupting my gameplay experience to make me sit there as an uninvolved observer to shit a bunch of dumb story at me (unless it's a jrpg, for whatever reason) and also team ICO games. Absolute filth. I'm sorry you disagree, I will pray for your soul but it's likely you're going to burn in hell forever.
yar

naff

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2021, 11:34:50 PM »
MGS2 was ahead of it's time perhaps, I loved it as a kid but was also baffled by parts of the plot. Took it in stride. Yeah, there are a lot of parodic elements but not without reason. It's also very earnest and lands it so far. Replaying it atm so I'll have a more rounded opinion in time. 
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2021, 05:10:39 AM »
I'd play the Soul Blazer trilogy, but it's too cumbersome to get legally :snore

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »

Nobody shat on MGS in the thread, Human Snoreado's was the only "negative" comment, in fact, and still didn't shit on them. ???

MGS1 through 3 are masterpieces, 4 is an odd ball trashy game, but it has its moments.
MGS5 is one of the best stealth games ever made in terms of mechanics, but has just an atrociously put together story/whole.

The series has a great track record, it just needed to end when it was supposed to, i guess.

Zelda is mostly shit though, i support that statement.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2021, 10:03:27 AM »
Oh yeah.. KH..  lol why was this ever created?

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »
Oh yeah.. KH..  lol why was this ever created?

Introduce a batch of western weebs to the capital-g Goddess Utada. :rejoice

Bonus:

naff

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 03:54:59 AM »

Nobody shat on MGS in the thread, Human Snoreado's was the only "negative" comment, in fact, and still didn't shit on them. ???

MGS1 through 3 are masterpieces, 4 is an odd ball trashy game, but it has its moments.
MGS5 is one of the best stealth games ever made in terms of mechanics, but has just an atrociously put together story/whole.

The series has a great track record, it just needed to end when it was supposed to, i guess.

Zelda is mostly shit though, i support that statement.  :doge

lol, i could see through snorenado's comment into his hate for MGS2 tho (from many years of seeing him take poops on that game). i know sceneman irl and he loves being a big bitch about zelda without playing LTTP, BotW or Links Awakening. i think he's trolling me at this point (he played the first 3rd of OoT over 10 years ago and declared it unplayable and generic). i see them
◕‿◕