Author Topic: Why do some of you hate games or game companies so much  (Read 1411 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Why do some of you hate games or game companies so much
« on: August 25, 2021, 06:24:33 PM »
They be toys brehs.
 :idont

OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Why do some of you hate games or game companies so much
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 06:26:44 PM »
Because this is the internet
yar

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:31:41 PM »
WHAT DID YOU SAY

:rage

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »
I only hate EA and Ubisoft.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
And Activision, I guess.
dog

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 07:42:59 PM »
big brain time
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 07:59:43 PM »
because I'm only happy if nintendo wins  :)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
I fucking love them all. and I love all of you

Except Nintendo. Release mother 3 you cowards

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 08:47:06 PM »
Make peace not war✌

Himu

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 10:10:38 PM »
Because you love something and then you don't love it as much when you get older because the game companies seem to cater to everyone but you now. Due to the nature of interactivity games are always changing. And because they're games, certain people prefer certain rulesets. It's why some people prefer one edition of D&D to another or why people might prefer old Monopoly to new Monopoly. It's less I hate games and more that I hate what they became within the paradigm of my own specific taste. It's like all the genres I loved are dead, neutered, or given to me with a slow drip. I'm old. Final Fantasy is an action RPG franchise and I will never not articulate how much that pisses me off. The fact that gamers tell you to suck it up and continue to suck corporate dick and can't fathom that people have preferences has more to do with them, not me.

Games too often cater to masses and leave very little creative input. Take Final Fantasy being an action RPG franchise now. It's mostly done to cater to and draw in new fans. It's a monetary decision. Everything is a monetary decision. Games too hard? Let's make em less hard. Games too short and pick up and play? Let's make them 100 hours long. Casuals can't learn how to get good at fighting games! Let's dumb them down! Then the casual fan stops playing after a week and the dedicated players end up with a game with less options. Every single piece of entertainment bases its decisions on money because of budgeting, et al but it feels like games more than any other piece of entertainment routinely cater to Tide Pod eating fuck face to make up for the fact that gaming has gotten too fucking big and budgets are out of this world so every game *has* to cater to everyone rather than to specific audiences by necessity.

And that's why I hate games. No, it's less I hate games and more that I fucking hate gamers so goddamn much.

Then you have gamers that want to take away what you have. Take Souls. Oh my God these fucking gaming fucks demand From Software put in an easy mode in their games because they can't be bothered to learn the games themselves. So they demand the creator, who has their own fucking creative input, crater to their demands. See? This is where it starts. Remember RE5 and DEAD SPACE HAS WALK AND SHOOT AND YOU CAN'T WALK AND SHOOT IN RE5 SO IT'S A BAD GAME? Oh my fucking God. I hate gamers so much. And what happens in RE6? WALK AND SHOOT. Every. Single. Thing. In games is some reactionary hell pit rather than an extension of the creators ideas. THey're gonna change the game to user demand rather than making whatever the fuck they want. Then these fucking cry babies end up taking yet another great franchise to the abortion clinic. Seen it so many times before. Ninja Gaiden. Final Fantasy. SMT. Whatever. Tons of western gamers shitting on turn based rpgs for YEARS has resulted in less and less turn based rpgs. Gamers can't accept that some games aren't for them. No, they have to buy every game. This game is too hard? MAKE IT EASIER SO I TOO CAN ENJOY IT as it sits in my fucking backlog. Fuck off and keep your hands off my shit. The people trying to cajole From into making easy modes are trying to take one of my last safe havens and I frankly hope that these people choke on their own Cheetos.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 10:32:03 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »
As an aside the BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY mentality of gamers makes me sick. It feels you can never critique games because gamers are just such consumer whores that all they know how to do is mindlessly consoom.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:20 PM »
I like Nintendo. :)

But there's lots of good games on PlayStation, Xbox and PC too. :D

Rahxephon91

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 01:46:28 AM »
I find the "they just toys" train of thought to be pretty lame.

Games are a valid medium that people engage with and are worthwhile of any and all takes on them.

So since they are things I engage with they are going to give me feelings, good or bad.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 02:39:52 AM »
Because most of it is corporate trash these days with no vision or feeling behind any of it. Like Ubisoft games.

I tried out the Riders Republic Beta. It was absolute trash and cringe
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 02:45:05 AM »
They be toys brehs.
 :idont
"toys" can hurt.

Ever step on a lego?

Coax

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:35 AM »
Then you have gamers that want to take away what you have. Take Souls. Oh my God these fucking gaming fucks demand From Software put in an easy mode in their games because they can't be bothered to learn the games themselves. So they demand the creator, who has their own fucking creative input, crater to their demands. See? This is where it starts.

I think the irony there is that after all the complaints about Souls being challenging they make Sekiro which is simultaneously accessible, gameplay and impression-wise, yet also argued to be their hardest game.

Unless I'm missing some more recent news.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 06:58:29 AM »
I do hate MS for killing Ensemble Studios and pulling the plug on Scalebound.  If I had been a bigger PC player in the 90s, I'd have an undying hatred of EA too.

I'm a bitter, shitty person idk

Edit: but to be clear, fuck EA also.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:09:35 AM by Let's Cyber »

paprikastaude

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »
Disappointment with companies. Hate for the mental patients usually referred to as fanboys, who prevent any proper discussion about it.

Cleanse the internet of all single-platform owners above the age of 15 and videogame discourse would improve a hundredfold.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 07:12:27 AM »
It's just for the bants breh.

Svejk

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »
I hate what money/greed has done to them, but I'm still glad the medium exists... for now.  Still my favorite hobby currently. :trumps 

Movies on the other hand, they're dead to me... I simply can't watch them anymore.  The greed and full fledged agenda is bursting at the seems on EVERYTHING that comes out now and it makes me want to vomit.   Not to derail or anything, but just have to throw that out there too.

Seems games are at a fork in the road and it looks like it's eyeing the same direction as Hollywood, because greed mongers know they can influence more people with the way movies and music have...  "Let's make it flashier, longer, edgier, gorier, easier, more accessible, cuter, sexier, more diverse, inclusive, so we can get them and their children and their children's children"

That all being said, MS can go to hell cuz they (Bill Gates) has and controls too much by far.   They're basically what Tetsuo started turning into near the end of Akira;  Big, ugly, disturbing, destroying/consuming/killing everything in it's way.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 09:12:59 AM by Svejk »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »
©@©™

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 10:05:05 AM »
I feel like we are right on the cusp of 6x marvel games a year brehs  :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:nintex
[close]
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »
I was losing a lot of interest in gaming in the first part of the 2010s... when localization prospects for a lot of games were up in the air (even in huge franchises like DQ, Tales, Yakuza, and FF) and there was a whole anti-Japanese-game vibe with the games media and fanbase. But things really took a turn for the better around 2015 or 16, at least for my tastes. Plus there are a lot of classic games I'm still discovering.

I can't actively say I "hate" any company, even someone as shitty and anti-consumer as EA. Those companies I just ignore since most of what they make just doesn't appeal to me... can't think of the last EA or Activision game I picked up, maybe Mirror's Edge and COD4 on the 360?

However, "frustration" is something that happens often, especially with Nintendo and Square Enix and some of their decisions.
^_^

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
I hate what money/greed has done to them, but I'm still glad the medium exists... for now.  Still my favorite hobby currently. :trumps 

Movies on the other hand, they're dead to me... I simply can't watch them anymore.  The greed and full fledged agenda is bursting at the seems on EVERYTHING that comes out now and it makes me want to vomit.   Not to derail or anything, but just have to throw that out there too.

Seems games are at a fork in the road and it looks like it's eyeing the same direction as Hollywood, because greed mongers know they can influence more people with the way movies and music have...  "Let's make it flashier, longer, edgier, gorier, easier, more accessible, cuter, sexier, more diverse, inclusive, so we can get them and their children and their children's children"

That all being said, MS can go to hell cuz they (Bill Gates) has and controls too much by far.   They're basically what Tetsuo started turning into near the end of Akira;  Big, ugly, disturbing, destroying/consuming/killing everything in it's way.
Usually i'd say if you avoid big blockbusters, good movies still come out regularly.
Larger movies seem to have coagulated into fewer shitty franchises though, which is what's really hurting the medium i think.
The last 10 years in particular are pretty horrid for that type of movie.

Also if you look at top 10 box office of, say, the 70s and compare it to the one from the 2010's, it can trick you into thinking people have turned into distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.  :teehee

Quote from: top 10 grossing movies in the 1970s
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
Jaws (1975)
Grease (1978)
The Sting (1973)
Superman (1978)
The Godfather (1972)
The Exorcist (1973)
Smokey and the Bandit (1977)
(National Lampoon's) Animal House (1978)
Blazing Saddles (1974)

Quote from: top 10 grossing movies in the 2010s
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015)
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Black Panther (2018)
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Jurassic World (2015)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)
Incredibles 2 (2018)
The Lion King (2019)
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

https://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice2.html

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 12:02:55 PM »
I feel a lot more sympathetic in recent years towards developers. Like, even if a game is absolutely putrid, it's not the fault of 99% of the people who worked on it and probably got crunched to shit. I'm happy whenever creatives can find some success, or are able to survive failure.

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 12:03:38 PM »
On the flipside I also kinda hate marketing more than ever.

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
Cleanse the internet of all single-platform owners above the age of 15 and videogame discourse would improve a hundredfold.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
shut up fatboy
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
Best game I've played this year is Cruelty Squad.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
I would say gaming is in a pretty good spot right now.
Although woke turns everything to shit eventually it has been a while since I have seen something as appaling as Anthem.
🤴

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2021, 12:02:03 AM »
caring about distinguished mentally-challenged big budget distinguished mentally-challenged fellow garbage instead of just playing the 6 million amazing indie games that come out every day :bruh

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2021, 04:54:08 AM »
Most indie games look like boring copy-paste, too.
Though by virtue of being a trillion, you still have a good number of interesting titles in there.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
Smelly indies  :nope
Margs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2021, 06:19:27 PM »
I used to hate Electronic Arts, when they were the behemoth of the game industry. They had the most money, but they seemed absolutely the most unwilling to take chances. You can bet that was down to marketing. That’s why everything they did during a certain period seem to be a licensed project.

Activision neatly stepped in and usurped that title in my mind. They have managed to create, oversaturate, and kill several interesting genres. They are worse about buying and dissecting companies than EA ever was. Plus, Bobby Kottick seems to be an executive who cares nothing about how his company makes money. He’s down to the bottom line, and that’s OK for an executive, but it’s bad for the industry as a whole.

You’re only ever going to get a major studio release out of Activision. You’re never going to see smaller “passion projects.” So if they are following the Hollywood model they should have sub-studios that do interesting things which increase their cultural worth, not just their financial bottom line.

I feel a lot more sympathetic in recent years towards developers. Like, even if a game is absolutely putrid, it's not the fault of 99% of the people who worked on it and probably got crunched to shit. I'm happy whenever creatives can find some success, or are able to survive failure.
On the flipside I also kinda hate marketing more than ever.

This is largely correct in my experience. The team always wants to ship the best game possible, and good teams understand that it is a matter of scope and scale, and being realistic about how much manpower can be thrown efficiently at the game (add “in the remaining time,” if there is a schedule). This is always going to get down to looking at the dream feature set, and trimming it to what can be done well.

When I see these Kickstarters out there with upstart, new developers who put a shopping list of everything they’ve ever wanted in a game in their list of “what we are going to do,“ I know that they are going to fail spectacularly. This is also true of kitchen sink projects like NMS, which failed out of the gate, but have succeeded in the long term thanks to money hats.

When I’m on a development team and the client or unchecked Creative Director is adding features without adding time or manpower, I know it will fail in some way or another.