Author Topic: Sugiyama died, Dragon Quest Gonna Eat  (Read 647 times)

Bebpo

Sugiyama died, Dragon Quest Gonna Eat
« on: October 07, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
Great day for DQ!

Dude's been holding the franchise back musically for like ten years because they've been so afraid to dump him despite his personal views, his low effort short tracklists and the licensing issues of him owning his tracks in the games; just been keeping him because DQ is all about "tradition"

Now the music can finally move on. Looking forward to FF-style larger, better and more varied osts! Really interested in who they get to replace him. Can't see them using any of the FF guys, so I feel like it'll be someone totally new. Hopefully they screen them so they're not a piece of shit this time.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Sugiyama died, Dragon Quest Gonna Eat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 06:50:32 PM »

Still some very iconic themes he made
🤴

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:54:17 PM »
Part of me thinks they’ll just reuse all his old music and we’ll never get a new track ever again. Because you know, please understand.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:39:26 PM »
Square Enix is probably just as relieved as we are. Scandalous, backward views from a creator are a Sword of Damacles.

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:23:01 PM »

Still some very iconic themes he made

True, but almost every DQ game for the last few have been docked in reviews because of the music. Even personal views aside, he stopped putting in the work like a decade ago and it's been hurting the franchise since SE's been too afraid to ditch him.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 12:48:49 AM »
Some of the tunes are cool but I had the same thought WRT the music. Is that petty?

I fucking hate this overworld theme from DQ11 and sometimes it feels like it's literally the only song in the game.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:58 AM »
Fuck yeah, this dude was absolute trash as a human being
What