Author Topic: Blu-Ray/4K UHD Talk Thread (+DVD/VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/D-VHS/CED/VCD/8mm etc.)  (Read 9341 times)

Bebpo

Kind of weird Criterion releases Mulholland Drive as one of their first 4K releases, then releases Lost Highway 4K soon after. Now they just announced Lynch's Inland Empire for March and it's...not a 4K release.

Tasty

Kind of weird Criterion releases Mulholland Drive as one of their first 4K releases, then releases Lost Highway 4K soon after. Now they just announced Lynch's Inland Empire for March and it's...not a 4K release.

I mean... the source footage is like 720i on that one, not sure what 4K would add lol.

Bebpo

I mean... the source footage is like 720i on that one, not sure what 4K would add lol.

Oh, did they shoot it on a phone or something?

I don't think I ever saw Inland Empire.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
It was shot on a 2006 consumer grade Sony DV camera.
©@©™

Tasty

I had to psych myself up a few times before I finally tackled it, but I'm glad I did. So much of Inland Empire has stuck with me. Lynch transcended the inherent limitations of his choice of camera and delivered a frightening and surreal drama as only he could.

Lynch himself was very bullish on digital video right when George Lucas was, oddly enough. Lynch in particular exhalted the freedom from letting the camera just run, or hitting stop and getting another take right after. So much of Lynch's career has been constrained by the purseholders, and that mostly comes down to the sheer cost of 35mm. You can even see his frustrations anew when trying to get more footage for Twin Peaks: The Return some 11 years later.

In that light, it's no surprise he didn't direct anything between Inland Empire and The Return. The money guys just wouldn't let him.

Lynch's excitement over digital video democratizing storytelling is infectious. I had the same enthusiasm when shot-on-iPhone films started taking off half a decade ago (of course, Lynch would prefer you don't watch films on a fucking telephone).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:07:25 AM by Tasty »

Tasty

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/david-lynch-inland-empire-laura-dern-1234716407/

I guess a 4K version now exists? Or at least "upscaled to HD using the GaiaHD algorithm."

Bebpo

Interesting, Arrow Video is bringing out Linklater's Boyhood 4k in UK in March. Wonder if this is another one where the US rights are tied up with Criterion like Videodrome.

I actually picked up the 2K Criterion BD of Boyhood last 50% off sale since the digital intermediate was 2.5k and didn't expect a noticeably different 4k anytime soon. Still haven't watched it yet. Been meaning to watch it for years since I like Linklater but the length's put me off. Figured picking up the Criterion disc would motivate me to finally watch it.

Bebpo

If you are weird and somehow do not own Army of Darkness 4k already, Steelbook is $20 now.

https://www.amazon.com/Army-of-Darkness-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0B4TP8NM6

Fantastic set and 4k transfer is awesome. Only negative is only the theaterical cut is 4k and the other cuts are standard BDs.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Dragonslayer coming to BD/4K in March. It's not a great movie, but I enjoy that weird era in the early 80's when Disney was experimenting with more adultish live-action movies.

©@©™

Bebpo

Dragonslayer coming to BD/4K in March. It's not a great movie, but I enjoy that weird era in the early 80's when Disney was experimenting with more adultish live-action movies.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh, it's a Disney flick? That's interesting. I've never seen it, but the cover art looks metal.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
It was a Disney/Paramount co-production. And speaking of metal, the dragon's name was Vermithrax Pejorative (!) and it looked pretty badass for 1981 lol.

©@©™

Bebpo

Damn, that is a badass dragon.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Wow, I loved the Duck Dodgers series back in college when I was also obsessed with Futurama. Really surprising to see WB dropping this on Blu-ray.
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
For once I didn’t forget to subscribe to Vinegar Syndrome. First box just arrived today.

Fun week ahead.

Tasty

Wow, I loved the Duck Dodgers series back in college when I was also obsessed with Futurama. Really surprising to see WB dropping this on Blu-ray.

The SNES game was fun but hard as fuck.

Even back then I remember thinking "more games should have jetpacks."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Been waiting a hot minute for this one. It’s coming in April from Discotek, along with Gunbuster and Urusei Yatsura TV Vol. 1, which I’m also hyped to pickup.
©@©™

Bebpo

I didn't realize Oldboy has a nice 4K UHD in the UK by Arrow. I saw they were selling the Vengeance trilogy, but only that was 4k. Don't really want to pay $25 Euro + shipping, but maybe when it's on-sale I'd pick it up.

Assuming this is like Videodrome where someone in the US has the rights so no US release.

Also, Arrow UK is releasing this in May. Good times, but wonder about the USA release.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I checked Amazon UK, and it's $42 shipped to the US. That's not too bad, I might import.
©@©™

NekoFever

£22 direct from Arrow, and it's included in their 2 for £40 UHDs deal at the moment: https://www.arrowfilms.com/uhd-deals.list

NekoFever

Got my copy of the Police Story Trilogy 4K from Amazon UK today.

Woah, THE Jonathan Ross liked it!!!

How is this set? I’ve been eyeing it but I haven’t seen any of them.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
It's a great set, although IMO Supercop is a lot better than the first two. I think there's an individual release of Supercop 4K coming out, might be worth just picking that up if you don't want to splurge. It's a good movie. Classic Jackie Chan.
©@©™

Bebpo

Yeah, I have the set but haven’t watched them yet. My understanding from reviews is that only Supercop got a restoration and looks great. The other two are based on old transfers so they look olddd.

Bebpo

https://shop.a24films.com/products/the-lighthouse-collectors-edition

It's officially a good day. We all eating in madness today. A24's Collector's Green Knight 4k was really nice and worth the money. This should be worth it as well if you're a fan.

Bebpo

Sure, why not.

NekoFever

Tonight's entertainment sorted

NekoFever

Just announced by Arrow:

https://www.arrowfilms.com/4k/bruce-lee-at-golden-harvest-arrow-exclusive-limited-edition-4k-ultra-hd/14573848.html

4K versions of The Big Boss, The Big Boss: The Mandarin Cut, Fist of Fury, The Way of the Dragon and Game of Death; 1080p versions of Game of Death Hong Kong edition, Game of Death II, Bruce Lee: The Man & The Legend and Bruce Lee: The Legend; Enter the Dragon is the existing Blu-ray version.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I'm liking all the classic Hong Kong releases we're getting lately. Shout Factory has got a Shaw Bros Collection coming out to compliment the two that Arrow already did.
©@©™

NekoFever

Going on sale Monday, only 3,000 copies  :lawd

There’s a normal edition too :hhh

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I don't know if I can justify buying Enter the Dragon again lol, looks good though.
©@©™

NekoFever

John Wick 4 looks ridiculously good. It’s like an HDR tech demo.

Coax

Blind bought The Lighthouse limited edition in Ultra HD since have wanted to see it for a while but was waiting for a 4K BD release. Have read Arrow generally have the better encodes so opted for it over the A24 version.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
WHY'D YA SPILL YER BEANS??
©@©™

Coax

Japan haul Last time I watched High and Low was 13 years ago and have waited for a cinema-level release since. Probably my fifth time seeing it. The impeccable layout of each shot and the noir turn in the last half :lawd

Also bought GitS blind, having seen no footage. The music and artful, dialogless sequences were delightful. Cost me a stupid amount though since it's OoP (Japan pls) :doge

Some uncompressed screencaps:

The Lighthouse (first two brightened slightly to bring them up to comparable levels)

Such a strong artistic vision. The photography, lighting, sound design, somehow making starkly different vignettes flow together; the mixtures of reality, fantasy and gaslighting. Def re-watchable.

High and Low

Ghost in the Shell

Edit: forgot I had that haori version of :rejoice I made :p
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 03:58:53 AM by Coax »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
GitS is a beautiful movie
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Preordered the Psycho 4K Collection from Arrow.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Bebpo

Preordered the Psycho 4K Collection from Arrow.

That's a lot of psychos

NekoFever

Got the Bruce Lee set and it’s glorious. If they’d got 4K Enter the Dragon (which is coming next month from WB; the version in this set is the previous 40th anniversary Blu-ray) in there it would have been perfect.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/bruce-lee-at-golden-harvest-4k-blu-ray-review.20955/

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I've never seen the 3rd of 4th ones, but Psycho II is kinda fun.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg
©@©™

Bebpo

https://www.arrowfilms.com/hellraiser-quartet-of-torment-chatterer-slipcase-arrow-store-exclusive-limited-edition-4k-uhd/14887479.html

I mean, not really sure I needed Hellraiser 2-4. But I guess a nice 4k set with a bunch of extras for 1-4 is ok.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I'm curious to see this "newly uncovered" workprint. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bloodlines since it was the first Hellraiser movie I saw.
©@©™

Bebpo

I'm curious to see this "newly uncovered" workprint. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bloodlines since it was the first Hellraiser movie I saw.

I've never seen any of them after II because the reviews I read of them made them sound baaaaad. I guess after I get this set I'll watch 3/4 since I will own them.

Though I hear the new Hulu one with the female Pinhead was decent, so I really should watch that one of these days. I feel like Hellraiser1 is one of the most influential/interesting horror stories. I mean the whole God Hand in Berserk are straight out Cenobites. And "I have such sights to show you" is ingrained in cultural references.

What I really need to do is read Barker's short story that Hellraiser was based on. I've read some Clive Barker but not sure if I ever read that one.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
H3 & 4 aren’t great, but they are the best of the sequels until the reboot and I do enjoy them mostly based on Bradley’s performance. All the DTV sequel are just increasingly awful. The Hulu reboot is pretty solid. I would rate them H1 > H2 > Reboot > H3 > H4 >>>>>>>> the rest.

Hellbound Heart is good, and it’s short, it’s only like 100 pages. The sequel he wrote about 10 years ago, Scarlet Gospel was terrible but almost worth reading just based on how bonkers and stupid it was. :lol
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

Got the John Wick 4 4K Steelbook today.  :rejoice
🤴

NekoFever

H3 & 4 aren’t great, but they are the best of the sequels until the reboot and I do enjoy them mostly based on Bradley’s performance. All the DTV sequel are just increasingly awful. The Hulu reboot is pretty solid. I would rate them H1 > H2 > Reboot > H3 > H4 >>>>>>>> the rest.

Hellbound Heart is good, and it’s short, it’s only like 100 pages. The sequel he wrote about 10 years ago, Scarlet Gospel was terrible but almost worth reading just based on how bonkers and stupid it was. :lol

That’s exactly why I loved Scarlet Gospels. It was like Barker was possessed by an edgy and horny teenager :lol

“And then Pinhead the Hell Priest fights Satan and he’s HOT!”

Preordered the Arrow set in any case. 1 is a 10/10, 2 is great, 3 isn’t awful and I’ve never seen 4 but you might as well complete the set of the theatrical releases that Barker was involved with.

Coax

There's a thread on Blu-Ray.com about Disney pulling out of physical media distribution to Australia and how they've done the same thing already for New Zealand, Italy and various parts of Asia.

Obviously UHD is just a sliver of overall sales and that would be fairly unsurprising but it's a concerning sign given it's all physical in such countries.

Not a great outlook for any hoping for more Fox releases if this spreads.

Bebpo

There's a thread on Blu-Ray.com about Disney pulling out of physical media distribution to Australia and how they've done the same thing already for New Zealand, Italy and various parts of Asia.

Obviously UHD is just a sliver of overall sales and that would be fairly unsurprising but it's a concerning sign given it's all physical in such countries.

Yeah, definitely feel like down the line physical may just be indie labels with their $40-50 special edition releases for UHD.

I mean they do a good job, but those kinds of labels have limited output and are pricey.

NekoFever

The physical market’s starting to remind me of the Laserdisc days, where there’s a solid but small enthusiast market, token support from major studios, boutique labels doing really nice but expensive special editions, and you have to be willing to import some stuff because it only comes out in Germany, Japan or wherever.

It has downsides (price, availability) but also upsides, as you’re seeing labels like Criterion and Arrow able to get major studio releases again, which they couldn’t when the studios could print money with repeated DVD special editions.

I’d also say the standards for video transfers have gone up because the remasters aren’t being done under studio mandates to scrub all the grain because everything must look like a modern digital production. I’m regularly blown away by how good cheap 80s shit looks on 4K Blu-ray.

Bebpo

Re: Blu-Ray/4K UHD Talk Thread (+DVD/VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/D-VHS/CED/VCD/8mm etc.)
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2023, 12:25:57 PM »

https://www.criterion.com/films/33828-guillermo-del-toros-pinocchio

Nice boxart and sounds like some good extras. Movie already looked great on streaming.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: Blu-Ray/4K UHD Talk Thread (+DVD/VHS/Betamax/Laserdisc/D-VHS/CED/VCD/8mm etc.)
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2023, 12:21:37 PM »
Been cutting back a lot on my BD/UHD purchases this year, but October is always a good time to splurge. Picked up the Sleepy Hollow 4K Steelbook, Smile 4K Steelbook, and Ghoulies 4K last week.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

:freeze :freeze :freeze
©@©™

NekoFever

Box set of both of them too. I’ll be ordering Barbarian for sure.

Bebpo

hell, yeah

Coax

Well thankfully there's a little good news. Aliens is releasing early next year on UHD.