Author Topic: Current gen bros check in  (Read 1218 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Current gen bros check in
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:24:34 PM »
Cool things about this gen:
Quick resume is an excellent feature for juggling multiple games. Best new feature by far.

SSD is decent, fast load times.

For Xbois, backwards compatibility and new benefits have been excellent.

Being a series Xer, The Series X has been and will most likely be the most solid piece of hardware/Xbox.

Not so cool things about this gen:

The most impressive current gen game (technological) is a tech demo showcase for Unreal Engine using The Matrix :doge

OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Current gen bros check in
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
I'm still playing on PC and Switch when I have time for games.  My PS5 is a dust magnet and will be until KOF XV is out next month. 
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 01:00:01 PM »
The vasty quicker load times are the big thing so far imo.

Are graphics even gonna make a big jump this gen other than some bells and whistles most people will barely notice other than think yeah this looks a bit better?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:04:29 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
I have a current pc, a switch, ps5, and series s, yet almost no time to play this shit  :stahp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 01:45:02 PM »
SSD is really the best thing for me this gen, those speedy load times are really nice.
Also the improvements for PS4 games since I never got the PS4 Pro.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
kewl
- SSD fast load times (PS5).  I would prefer the XB style quick resume, but with such fast load times for most games, it's not necessary imo.
- Total sucker for 3D audio on PS5.  That, mixed with DS haptics really does make playing more immersive (when utilized properly)
- BC with boosts on most my backlog
- Improved VR on the horizon

suck balls
- cross-gen.  Always been around, but seems like a greater burden/crutch on games more than ever now.
- PS5 still not having folders FFS.
- PS5 being too effing big.
- covid BS
- time

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
Everything runs so smooth on Xbox Series X. Auto HDR and FPS boost are a godsend :aah
My current mix is TimeSplitters 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Assassins Creed Valhalla.

Xbox One X was already really good and this is basically a better and faster Xbox One X.
The only cross-platform Xbox game I prefer to play on PC is Forza Horizon 5 because it runs 120fps on my PC and just 60fps on Xbox Series X.

Microsoft now has 32+ first party development studios and more and more stuff is heading to GamePass  :mynicca

Not so cool:
Fast storage means special storage card things which are in short supply and expensive

Some franchises like Battlefield have been run into the ground almost immediately at the start of this gen or released cross-platform. Meaning we won't see real next-gen installments for a while.
A bunch of usual suspects such as Dead or Alive and Tekken have yet to surface, especially from Japan.

COVID has delayed everything so thank god for backwards compatibility

Nintendo is on 720p Nintendo 64 emulator cruise control.

Thank you for saving Xbox Phil :uguu
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 05:50:33 PM »
The game that impressed me most so far was the Metro Exodus Enhanced patch on Series X.

Game is really good at showing off what raytracing can do and pretty much sold me on the effect. Just having the indirect lighting in the game was a literal game changer. It turned my opinion of it just being an okay game into thinking it's a great game.

I also really badly want a Thief game that uses the tech. (Or just a stealth game in general.)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »
Quick loading and fast resume are game changers, but most of all we're truly coming out of the sub 30fps ghetto. It's why I was PC/nintendo only last gen. The hardware from last gen felt dated the day it released. Now the PS5 and Series consoles actually feel like really nice streamlined PC's where everything "just works".

That said, the PS4 build of RDR2 being played on my PS5 is still the best looking game I've played on the thing. The Matrix demo didn't impress me all that much, environments were all city scapes, I'd just come off playing Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk on PC, the models look like they're made out of rubber and uncanny valley as hell. Saw people saying they didn't notice when Keanu went from live action to in game model  ???  :neogaf :esports Resi 8 on PS5 looks pretty damn nice. Haven't played Ratchet and Clank yet.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 01:13:40 AM »
I just like the 60fps

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 01:55:04 AM »
XSX here, Quick Resume is a godsend esp because I play so many old games. Absolutely loving Bully now, thank god for back compat.

PS5s are basically impossible to get here and can be instantly flipped for double value through any marketplace so I don't even know if I'd hold on to one if I could buy one in the first place.

Quaker

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
Are graphics even gonna make a big jump this gen other than some bells and whistles most people will barely notice other than think yeah this looks a bit better?
I kind of hope not. I'm still salty AF after buying both PS4 and the Xbox One VCR at launch and having the games run at inconsistent sub 30 framerates at sub 1080p while the consoles sound like vacuum cleaners. That pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the hobby for that whole generation.

I'm ok with last gen looking games with some next gen flourishes for a while as long as they run smooth and look closer to 4k than 720p.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 09:51:03 AM »
GamePass  :rejoice
fat

Svejk

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:03 AM »
That said, the PS4 build of RDR2 being played on my PS5 is still the best looking game I've played on the thing.
I'm struggling to play this at a locked 30fps though.  Hoping they give us a free nexgen patch than upsell an upgrade like GTAV and other sony games  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
That said, the PS4 build of RDR2 being played on my PS5 is still the best looking game I've played on the thing.
I'm struggling to play this at a locked 30fps though.  Hoping they give us a free nexgen patch than upsell an upgrade like GTAV and other sony games  :doge

:crowdlaff :girlaff

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-\
[close]
ど助平

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
I've enjoyed my PS5 quite a bit so far. 

Playing Demon's Souls running at 60s FPS on a 4k OLED w only a few seconds of loading feels like such a massive leap over the previous generation. Looking forward to more next gen software.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 07:28:03 PM »
Pro: Gamepass

Con: Everything is just "last gen but it loads faster"

Pro: I didn't have a last gen Xbox
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 06:34:05 PM »
The game that impressed me most so far was the Metro Exodus Enhanced patch on Series X.

Game is really good at showing off what raytracing can do and pretty much sold me on the effect. Just having the indirect lighting in the game was a literal game changer. It turned my opinion of it just being an okay game into thinking it's a great game.

I also really badly want a Thief game that uses the tech. (Or just a stealth game in general.)
Metro Exodus and the other Metro games are now on sale on the Xbox for peanuts.

CONTROL Ultimate Edition is also very cheap. Another 'true next-gen' experience as far as they exist now.
If you haven't played that on PC be sure to pick it up on your Xbox  8)
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »
So my brother just gave me my Christmas present... and it's a Series X :O :O :O
Halo Infinite is of course a must buy but what else is good that's not on PS5? I guess I can get Activision and Bethesda games now, even though they're not really my cup of tea.
I'm definitely interested in the OG Xbox and 360 BC - how does it work? Do all games play off disk and do they upscale? Specifically interested in SF4 and the 360 Cave shooters (those are the big ones for me)?
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 11:13:31 PM »
Last gen graphics are good enough, I just want load times to go away. Won't be able to play Eldest Ring on next gen :stahp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 11:39:03 PM »
Halo Infinite is of course a must buy but what else is good that's not on PS5?

Forza Horizon 5?
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 11:48:18 PM »
...buying MS Studio games? Just get a GamePass sub

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:52 AM »
So my brother just gave me my Christmas present... and it's a Series X :O :O :O
Halo Infinite is of course a must buy but what else is good that's not on PS5? I guess I can get Activision and Bethesda games now, even though they're not really my cup of tea.
I'm definitely interested in the OG Xbox and 360 BC - how does it work? Do all games play off disk and do they upscale? Specifically interested in SF4 and the 360 Cave shooters (those are the big ones for me)?

Its all digital/software based for OG Xbox/360. You can use a disc as a check in to play the game, but you'll have to download the data still.

That being said, there's an automatic resolution bump and usually a performance bump too. I played thru Max Payne 1 and it held up remarkably. A lot of OG Xbox and 360 games hold up really well.

There's OG Street Fighter 4, then Arcade Edition with Ultra being a DLC pack.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 05:27:06 PM »
Get GamePass, I highly recommend Forza Horizon 5 for any new Xbox Series X owners.

But other than that literally all multi-platform console games released from 2001 to 2022 from TimeSplitters 2 to Hitman 3 play better on Xbox Series X.
🤴

Hamarr

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2022, 04:20:56 AM »
I keep meaning to look into checking to see if quick resume can be disabled/enabled for certain games.  It’s pretty annoying on Ubisoft and some EA games.  The game fires up pretty quickly, but then I have to connect to the network in EA games, and force a restart on Ubisoft games.  It seems like it is almost never set for games that play nice with it.

The feature is pretty awesome, otherwise.

Con  - storage costs suck ass.  And hard drives are way too small for how large install sized are getting.
Pro - games pass
Pro - Game load times
Pro - XCloud works pretty well for everything except maybe some online shooters
Con - too many live service “games”. 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
Yeah quick resume is hit and miss, its works fine on stuff like Forza, but on NBA 2k22 it sometimes works, sometimes boots me back to the start screen or even crashes :yeshrug
(ice)

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2022, 11:23:40 AM »
As someone who doesn’t really care about graphics it’s definitely the load times.  Series X is awesome.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 08:07:13 AM »
Playing Spiderman Miles Morales at the moment - it's the first thing I've played that truly feels like a next-gen title and absolutely shows off the full potential of the most powerful console of this generation.
woke

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2022, 04:02:11 AM »
 :fbm
OBE

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2022, 09:46:25 PM »
Are PS5s ever actually going to become readily available? I remember with PS4, I ordered one right off Amazon at launch with no issues. They’re not worth scalper prices.
🍆🍆

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2022, 01:43:23 AM »
Are PS5s ever actually going to become readily available? I remember with PS4, I ordered one right off Amazon at launch with no issues. They’re not worth scalper prices.

are there retailer waitlists in the US? all the stores here do it. not that many selling on the secondary market anymore due to lack of demand, but they're still not on store shelves. usually 6-8 weeks wait when you waitlist here.
◕‿◕

archnemesis

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2022, 03:03:26 AM »
My PS5 has issues playing PS4 games. It seems to be a hardware issue and in normal circumstances I would have it replaced by warranty. The retailer that I bought it from is huge, they have removed the PS5 from their store page, and you can't even book one for the future. I suspect that if I return it for repairs I will get a refund instead of a new unit.

At this point I fear that the PS5 will only be available at scalper prices. Maybe it will change when they release a slim version in 2024.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
The vasty quicker load times are the big thing so far imo.

I thought the same way, but RDR2 was chugging in Lemoyne during clear weather on my PS4 (standard), and was buttery smooth on my PS5 at nighttime with multiple light sources, volumetric lighting and fog interacting with each other. Gorgeous.

It'll be interesting to see if any expensive but impressive graphics techniques make it simpler for indies to produce something other than bitmapped or lo-poly styles.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2022, 07:31:36 PM »
My PS5 has issues playing PS4 games. It seems to be a hardware issue and in normal circumstances I would have it replaced by warranty. The retailer that I bought it from is huge, they have removed the PS5 from their store page, and you can't even book one for the future. I suspect that if I return it for repairs I will get a refund instead of a new unit.

At this point I fear that the PS5 will only be available at scalper prices. Maybe it will change when they release a slim version in 2024.

Contact Sony for your repairs. It's likely they'll do better for you than the retailer itself.