Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town  (Read 212433 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Cleaning up the town
« Reply #421 on: April 27, 2022, 08:10:29 AM »

:existential

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #422 on: April 27, 2022, 09:03:29 AM »
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #423 on: April 27, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »
 I want to endorse Ground.news. it's a great place to get multiple stories from multiple slants at once.
IYKYK

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #424 on: April 27, 2022, 04:01:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1519094035683577857

This is the sign I see on my commute everyday now.

Going to be a great election year!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2022, 04:04:43 PM »
Double lightning bolts, nice.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2022, 07:03:20 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mayorkas-dhs-disinformation-governance-board

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas testified Wednesday that the Department of Homeland Security is creating a "Disinformation Governance Board" to combat misinformation ahead of the 2022 midterms.

Mayorkas appeared before the House Appropriations Subcommittee to discuss the fiscal 2023 budget for the Department of Homeland Security.

This is complete and utter federal oversight. What is considered "misinformation?" Because memes you post on FB are labeled misinformation now.

And of course it's for midterms.  ::)

Libs are the baddies. Straight out of 1984 for "protection". Like I said. their flock will be fine with this because mask mandates were fine, and vaccine mandates were fine, so this too should be fine. The liberal need to label fascism and other pet names are nothing more than projections from their most inner most wants.

The fact it comes from the Biden Administration is even more harrowing. The day after Elon Musk buys Twitter they reveal this. Like I said, they're showing their chess moves. You make that move? No see, we have the whole board. Two years ago Twitter silenced New York Post when they revealed Hunter's laptop. For years it was labeled "misinformation" until it wasn't and was confirmed by NYT and WAPO. And now the President, the father of that man, has an administration building a division to fight "misinformation"?

Um. Hard pass.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:53:30 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »

Occam

« Reply #428 on: April 28, 2022, 02:52:35 AM »
Too bad Dore is a Russian propaganda mouthpiece.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2022, 07:23:21 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2022, 05:07:19 PM »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #434 on: April 29, 2022, 01:23:55 PM »
Truths & Replies :goldberg
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #435 on: April 29, 2022, 01:57:17 PM »
More like Rep Lies!

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #437 on: May 01, 2022, 03:31:38 PM »
As always the Democrats can't think two steps ahead.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1520161452891549697
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #438 on: May 01, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
button up that shirt you mandingo

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »

Why did no one tell me about this

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2022, 10:15:29 PM »
Democrats who spent the last 20 years doing nothing reacting to the news tonight

:pika
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #441 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:49 PM »
I would recommend reading the draft. I'm not going to pretend it's not possible with the current majority but it really doesn't read like a ruling that would have five votes. It reads like an Alito/Thomas opinion. The story being based on a single anonymous source also makes me a bit skeptical. (Though maybe that's the bargaining and denial stages?)

james

« Reply #442 on: May 02, 2022, 10:41:34 PM »
Its 90 pages Benji. Nobody is going to read the draft. As an academic scholar, Ill max out at five tweets with screenshots

benjipwns

« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2022, 10:44:17 PM »
Its 90 pages Benji.
FACT CHECK: 23 of those are an appendix I didn't read any of or even skim.

Occam

« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2022, 10:45:20 PM »
Oh no, who could have seen this coming?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #445 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:53 AM »
The Department of Homeland Security is stepping up an effort to counter disinformation

A newly formed Disinformation Governance Board announced Wednesday will immediately begin focusing on misinformation aimed at migrants

“We are very concerned that Haitians who are taking the irregular migration path are receiving misinformation that the border is open,”

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-immigration-media-europe-misinformation-4e873389889bb1d9e2ad8659d9975e9d
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #446 on: May 03, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »
Breitbart follow up
Biden Disinformation Chief Nina Jankowicz Sang About Sex Fantasy with Dead Harry Potter

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/04/29/biden-disinformation-chief-nina-jankowicz-sang-sex-fantasy-dead-harry-potter/
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #448 on: May 03, 2022, 09:52:05 AM »
That seems very backwards and I'd be embarrassed to be an American rn.
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #449 on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
Page 47 to 49 almost seem to advocate FOR the legality of abortion.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

james

« Reply #451 on: May 03, 2022, 02:52:06 PM »
Benji do you still have access to the anthrax we used after the BushvGore decision?

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #452 on: May 03, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »
Blame the left all you want, but roe v. wade was overturned because of this woman and her husband

https://mobile.twitter.com/barbsolish

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #453 on: May 03, 2022, 09:36:54 PM »
Breitbart follow up
Biden Disinformation Chief Nina Jankowicz Sang About Sex Fantasy with Dead Harry Potter

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/04/29/biden-disinformation-chief-nina-jankowicz-sang-sex-fantasy-dead-harry-potter/
You'd think the side that's voraciously adopted cancel culture would think to do some quick background checks before appointing people...
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #454 on: May 03, 2022, 09:39:41 PM »
I don't see how any left-leaning governmental body can freely associate with anyone who ever showed admiration for anything the transphobe jk rowling created
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #455 on: May 04, 2022, 12:29:13 AM »
Breitbart follow up

You'd think the side that's voraciously adopted cancel culture would think to do some quick background checks before appointing people...

May be getting wooshed here but would it surprise you it is a pretty innocuous thing she did when 18 that is getting heard through the most hysterical distortion ?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 04:53:43 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #456 on: May 04, 2022, 02:24:36 AM »
At least the conservatives are adults who don't dabble in harry potter fantasies :snob

It is an ironic discovery —  Jankowicz’s apparent obsession with Harry Potter — as many have deemed her the U.S. version of the Ministry of Magic’s overpowering Dolores Umbridge

JD Vance won
1 million votes cast in the GOP primary
500k in the Dem primary

https://twitter.com/aaronlarnavarro/status/1521684641056534528
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 02:41:38 AM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #457 on: May 04, 2022, 02:53:12 AM »
1 million votes cast in the GOP primary
500k in the Dem primary
Democratic primary was relatively uncontested, Tim Ryan had been anointed last year.

Mark it up as another winnable seat handed to the Democrats in a pro-GOP year to please the cult leader. :american

benjipwns

« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2022, 04:34:52 AM »
 :bernie

spoiler (click to show/hide)
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1519427501503750152
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1521279198236745742

According to the FEC filings they were just Facebook ads, with the bulk of the money going to something called Zeta Global.
[close]

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #459 on: May 04, 2022, 04:57:40 AM »
Breitbart follow up

May be getting wooshed here but would it surprise you it is a pretty innocuous thing she did when 18 that is getting heard through the most hysterical distortion ?
That would not surprise me at all...but I guess sometimes you reap what you sow.
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #460 on: May 04, 2022, 05:21:50 AM »
Breitbart follow up

She's no AOC , she can't gallop out of this with finesses.

Occam

« Reply #461 on: May 04, 2022, 09:33:12 AM »
Europe is finally waking up, all Russian propaganda TV is to be completely outlawed (terrestrial broadcasts, cable, satellite, internet/apps) to hinder the spread of disinformation. Should have happened years ago, considering Putler has been working hard to destroy the EU (Brexit was in part made possible with the help of Russian influence/money).
Too bad America has no rules regarding disinformation, the constant onslaught of which has gravely damaged American democracy (which at this point may be beyond saving).

benjipwns

« Reply #462 on: May 04, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
Europe is finally waking up, all Russian propaganda TV is to be completely outlawed (terrestrial broadcasts, cable, satellite, internet/apps) to hinder the spread of disinformation. Should have happened years ago, considering Putler has been working hard to destroy the EU (Brexit was in part made possible with the help of Russian influence/money).
Too bad America has no rules regarding disinformation, the constant onslaught of which has gravely damaged American democracy (which at this point may be beyond saving).
Reported this post for spreading disinformation that would assist Putin.

Occam

« Reply #463 on: May 04, 2022, 09:45:02 AM »
Remind me why America is moving towards authoritarian theocratic minority rule? No enough freeze peach?

Just like the solution to the gun problem is more guns?

According to that logic, global warming could probably be stopped by more SUVs.

benjipwns

« Reply #464 on: May 04, 2022, 09:46:32 AM »
I just don't know why you'd want to empower Donald Trump and the Republican Party to imprison and kill people who criticize their crimes.

Occam

« Reply #465 on: May 04, 2022, 09:50:22 AM »
Having rules for news organizations that prevents them from spreading disproved information (and outright lies) does nothing of the sort.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #466 on: May 04, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »
Ya the idea that you can't make laws that fascists would abuse when in power is pretty dumb.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #467 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
Ya the idea that you can't make laws that fascists would abuse when in power is pretty dumb.

you want to elaborate? is there an understood "...because the fascists will never be allowed to be in power again?"

isn't there some level of evaluation to be done over the degree of how much a certain law can be abused?

suppose this administration passes a law that says "anyone the state defines as a misinformation vendor can be jailed for any length of time without trial," and they pass it with completely good intentions and don't even make use of it

by your logic, that's not cause for alarm at all?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 10:27:26 AM by Uncle »
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #468 on: May 04, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
Having rules for news organizations that prevents them from spreading disproved information (and outright lies) does nothing of the sort.
Your assumption is that power cannot be abused because only good people can wield it. My assumption is that's not true and it's not worth the risk to find out which of us is right. Better to protect free speech and free press than to outlaw both.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #469 on: May 04, 2022, 10:32:59 AM »

what defines a news organization? what must be the size of your reach before you can be censored by the state?

if a dude goes to a bar and says "well I heard Biden is going to be removed from office and Trump will be put in place next Saturday," should that man be considered a peddler of disinformation, a very short range news source, and be jailed on that basis?

and if you say alright no, that's too small, when do you arrest him? a youtube channel with an average of 100 views a week? 1000 views?
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #470 on: May 04, 2022, 10:34:21 AM »
The Supreme Court rules that denying abortion is murder is disinformation. Free speech about abortion is still allowed, you simply cannot deny that it is murder and must also inform readers that murder is illegal.

Occam

« Reply #471 on: May 04, 2022, 10:41:44 AM »
Having a press law that requires adherence to a basic code of ethics (=no broadcasting unverifiable information/propaganda) so far seems to work pretty well as a safeguard against a return of fascism for Europe. Doesn't seem to curb the freedom of speech, either.
Not heeding the warning from history has made Trumpism possible in America. What comes next will be worse.

benjipwns

« Reply #472 on: May 04, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »
The George W. Bush Administration announced today the arrest of thousands of so-called self-declared journalists for spreading the disinformation that WMDs were not found in Iraq. We go now live to the White House for more on the defeat of these seditious traitors.

benjipwns

« Reply #473 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »
Having a press law that requires adherence to a basic code of ethics (=no broadcasting unverifiable information/propaganda) so far seems to work pretty well as a safeguard against a return of fascism for Europe. Doesn't seem to curb the freedom of speech, either.
Not heeding the warning from history has made Trumpism possible in America. What comes next will be worse.
Perhaps you should heed the warning from history since the Nazi Party was outlawed by Weimar Germany and it also had extensive speech/press restrictions?

Doesn't seem to curb the freedom of speech, either.
So the laws don't even work? And yet you're advocating for them to be imposed on other people while hoping no one there will abuse them? This is strange advocacy.

Occam

« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »

Exactly. And they'll make much worse laws once they are in power.
Americans will get to experience this firsthand, soon.

I'm sure those women who will be imprisoned for "illegal" abortions in the future will be able to console themselves with their free speech.

benjipwns

« Reply #475 on: May 04, 2022, 10:53:35 AM »
I'm sure those women who will be imprisoned for "illegal" abortions in the future will be able to console themselves with their free speech.
I would think it's obviously better that they can advocate for removing restrictions on abortions than imprisoning or killing them for doing so.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2022, 11:06:31 AM »

you want to elaborate? is there an understood "...because the fascists will never be allowed to be in power again?"

Because if fascists want to do something they will do it whether it is lawful or not.  So the idea that you can't make laws that would otherwise help stop the spread of fascism because they might abuse the power is silly.  If you are in a place where the laws are being abused, the issue is the people abusing the law not the laws themselves.  The fear of what-ifs is what is actively allowing America to regress at it's current rate.  You can actively try to stop that from happening or let it happen and then go 'well at least we didn't make it a law to round up journalists while journalists are being round up anyway.  Like you wouldn't want to create a situation where big-brained Nintex gets to gleefully post about how the bad behaviour of the right is really the fault of the left.

The George W. Bush Administration announced today the arrest of thousands of so-called self-declared journalists for spreading the disinformation that WMDs were not found in Iraq. We go now live to the White House for more on the defeat of these seditious traitors.

You mean like Judith Miller?  Kinda like they can find creative ways to imprison people if they wish with the current laws.  The free press does not work as a bastion against an abusive government when half the media in America has been captured and advocating for abusive governments.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:13:34 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »

Exactly. And they'll make much worse laws once they are in power.
Americans will get to experience this firsthand, soon.

the disinformation board will see to it that posts like these will be removed in the future, once 230 is also gutted and demi can be held liable in court for the subversive "news" you post
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #478 on: May 04, 2022, 11:35:46 AM »

Because if fascists want to do something they will do it whether it is lawful or not.  So the idea that you can't make laws that would otherwise help stop the spread of fascism because they might abuse the power is silly.  If you are in a place where the laws are being abused, the issue is the people abusing the law not the laws themselves.  The fear of what-ifs is what is actively allowing America to regress at it's current rate.  You can actively try to stop that from happening or let it happen and then go 'well at least we didn't make it a law to round up journalists while journalists are being round up anyway.  Like you wouldn't want to create a situation where big-brained Nintex gets to gleefully post about how the bad behaviour of the right is really the fault of the left.

you realize how actually ineffectual trump often was? how often the things he ran his mouth about ended up amounting to nothing because laws or procedures in place prevented him from doing anything destructive? how many times he made executive orders that achieved nothing?

your argument doesn't work because if trump had the power to "just do it" then he would've done far worse

instead he was left to play with the only toys he had in the toybox

you're assuming that in one administration we have democracy and in the next we have unilateral complete authoritarianism and that's not how things work, trump was prevented from doing unenumerable amounts of harm due to lacking tools like a ministry of truth

if he could just do it, don't you think he would have? he complained about lying fake news constantly, as a fascist in control surely you must expect him to have had the power to shut it all down?

rather than meekly avoiding pressers and events he viewed as unfavorable to him like the correspondents' dinner

it is utterly blind to operate under the default assumption that all actions taken by an administration are good as long as their views mostly align with yours

you haven't put a modicum of thought into how a disinformation board could be wielded for ill even by a generally favorable administration, because "well if the good guys are doing it it must be good"

if trump had established it, would you be calling for biden to end it? or would you have said "y'know trump won't be in power forever and this could be a great tool for the democrats in the future, I think this is the right call for trump overall"
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #479 on: May 04, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »
If you are in a place where the laws are being abused, the issue is the people abusing the law not the laws themselves.  The fear of what-ifs is what is actively allowing America to regress at it's current rate.

the biden administration repeals all forms of gun control tomorrow:

"well it's the people taking advantage of this to buy rocket launchers who are the problem, not the law itself, if things go south due to this decision it's the fascists' fault, not the poor innocent administration just doing their best to make good decisions"
Uncle