Author Topic: Streaming Service Apocalypse  (Read 6580 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Streaming Service Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2023, 06:54:06 AM »
I shut off all my streaming accounts to save money and because they mostly suck. back to torrents  8)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2023, 11:56:22 AM »
Go watch Barry, and Love and Hate.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »
Lol in the UK you can claim a 3 month trial from basically everywhere for Apple TV now, I already claimed a couple of 6 monthers around a year ago.

What they have doesn't seem like as much out and out dreck as its rivals but fuck paying for what little is there.
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2023, 02:36:27 PM »
I only have Netflix and borrowed Disney+ accounts and such from friends but nearly everyone has cancelled their streaming services (and turned their PLEX servers back on)  :lol  :doge

On the physical side of things.... 45 Eurodollar for a 4K Blu Ray of the Mario Movie? What the fuck.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2023, 02:57:49 PM »
Movie is a soulless piece of shit anyway
What

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2023, 04:43:07 PM »
Fuck Apple but I got Apple + for free and it has enough high quality content for a month or so
:O

Snoopycat_

« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2023, 08:02:33 PM »
I went back to torrents. The whole sub thing is just a pain in the arse. You have to have about 5 different subs just to watch stuff that used to be on Netflix. It's amazing that what was once seen as the torrent killer is now pushing people back to the high seas.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2023, 08:54:28 PM »
It was inevitable once every movie studio decided they needed their own streaming service.
Spud

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2023, 12:42:46 AM »
Using torrents or streaming services  :nope

Time to embrace the future

https://twitter.com/WORLDONLEAN/status/1661105549478428675

:rejoice

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2024, 12:07:10 AM »

Polident Hive

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2024, 03:34:44 AM »
In the end, I’ve stopped everything except Netflix. And Amazon Prime, but that isn’t specifically for streaming and I’m not paying for the ad free tier.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2024, 07:12:21 AM »
I have Netflix and a collection of 4K Blu Rays. Apart from the Steelbooks buying them physical is actually not that expensive and I don't have to worry about cancel culture or censorship. Most I picked up as 3 for 2 deals or outlet discounts. Most of my friends are surprised just how much better the physical versions often are with imax scenes or amazing DTS/Atmos soundtracks. Even regular Blu-Rays often look better than the streaming services. The Xbox Series X is a pretty good 4K player after they fixed some color issues.

The streaming quality on Netflix is hit and miss, it's better than it was during the COVID days but they're not exactly streaming Atmos soundtracks either. I've also noticed Netflix is publishing a lot of less content with things like Dolby Vision these days.
Out of all the Streaming services I tried Disney+ probably had the best image quality, they have the imax versions of the Marvel things on there too.

We have something called Sky Showtime here for only 6.99 which has a lot of great stuff on it but only in full HD.

For me overall the quality just isn't there with these streaming services. I'm watching Peaky Blinders but there is just so much compression and blurriness and the sound is so flat.
Then I pop in Tennet at 4K HDR imax Dolby Atmos and that bass kicks in :pika
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2024, 07:09:37 PM »
We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Criterion, AppleTV+, and Disney. The last 3 are through the grace of “sharing,” so I’m grateful for those.

My wife has an Amazon addiction, and Japanese Prime is like ¥4000 a year, so that’s not going anywhere.

She was shocked when I mentioned thinking about canceling Netflix the other day. It was ¥800/mo 5 years ago. It’s either ¥1500 or 2000/month for HD (not 4K)  now, so I’ll defo get rid of it if they bump the price again.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2024, 01:36:17 PM »
I get Netflix free through tmobile and theyre moving us to the ad version.

Feel like I might as well cancel fuck ads
:O

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2024, 04:26:10 AM »
I dunno if its the same in the Us, but the real bullshit thing about the ad-tier level in the UK is there's a bunch of content that was never licenced to be anything other than subscription streaming only, and they don't tell you this - there's just a smaller library available.
Meanwhile there is an absolute fucking ton of 100% free fully ad supported on demand streaming content on FreeVee, Pluto, Channel 4, ITV+ etc.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2024, 09:28:30 AM »
With the holidays I was thinking about how hard it might become to watch your favorite family Christmas movie if it's not Christmas Story or the other typical standards that are (usually) available on streaming. Prob a good idea to have some of this stuff on physical media because a decade from now it's gonna be really bad.

The dedication to debt packages, mergers, and profit loss is a sigh to behold. Unless you are tied to some type of physical service (Prime) or product (Apple) it's hard to see most of these services lasting. I don't see Netflix making it much longer for instance.