Author Topic: Sony Soypass Extra and Premium coming soon  (Read 2237 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Sony Soypass Extra and Premium coming soon
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:54:55 AM »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-28-sony-makes-its-playstation-plus-overhaul-official-and-its-launching-xx

Looks like it might be alright, that top tier is a bit pricey imo if you aren't getting first party games included day one. Also 400 ps4 and 5 games looks like quantity over quality and will include a lot of trash :kobeyuck

Plus how stingy will they be about how quick they are about adding first party shit. I'd be amazed if it was anything less than a year.
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Sony Soypass Extra and Premium coming soon
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 09:58:52 AM »
If PS5 is your only gaming machine it could be worth it, but youre basically paying for [more sony games]. Are they adding other games like GamePass?
fat

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »
Yeah they are launching with MK11, which has surely been given away multiple times now between ps+, epic etc :lol

Sony being Sony I bet they don't even include Last of Us 2 with it.
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:15:08 AM »
Sounds like a mix of Nintendo Online and GamePass.

Plus <something> is the dumbest naming since Wii U though.
What PlayStation subscription do you want?
Plus!

Plus Essential, Plus Extended or Plus Premium?

:wut
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 10:17:56 AM »
"I waited over 2 years and battled bots and scalpers to get my PS5, can't wait to play PS1 games on it"
fat

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:32:07 AM »
What if we copy gamepass but take out all the stuff that makes it awesome?   :rollsafe

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »
I wonder if they'll include that spider man "remaster" that they've been weird about :thinking
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 10:59:35 AM »
I already can't even remotely keep up with my current backlog.  Sticking with ragular plus.  You youngin's have fun.

buuuuut, if that means I have my PS3 digital catalog again and their cloud saves....   :thinking

And any word on adding trophies to the back library?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 11:01:56 AM »
PS3 games are cloud only  :zzz
©@©™

Polident Hive

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
Doesn't seem great, and that's without comparing it to gamepass.

That catalogue of PS4 and PS5 games, I'm picturing bringing back previous PS Plus titles. If you've been subbed for however many years, there isn't much new. That's how the PS5 instant game collection thing was.

Down to the upgrade costs from regular plus to extra, subbing for a month to play Miles Morales and Returnal are a maybe.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
I'm not paying another $60 a year to play PS1 and PS2 games I already own physically.

:camby

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 02:22:23 PM »
All that matters is the retro stuff,

But I wouldn't expect any bells & whistles to it. Just the same PS1/PS2 classics we got on PS3 and some PSP rom dumps. If they actually put effort and touch any of this stuff up (4k rendering, trophies, save states, rewind, etc...) I'd buy it, but otherwise I'm good.

The Playstation Now stuff is good for people making their first leap into a Sony machine and getting the backlog of Sony PS3/PS4 and some PS5 titles and 3rd party stuff. For people who've been around for those eras and had Sony systems there's not gonna be much new.

Wasn't expecting a Gamepass competitor because Sony isn't willing to spend the $$$ to compete there and doesn't think they need to. Was expecting something similar to the half-ass Nintendo Online. Seems like we get Gamepass + Nintendo Online with the half-ass here for a lot of bucks.  But at the end of the day, this is all nothing until we see the game lists and how they run.

Bebpo

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »
Also Sony is being real vague lately about things. You'd think they'd be doing short state of play vids announcing and going through new features coming soon to hype them up.

VRR coming to PS5...in the coming months.

PS1/PS2/PSP classics coming...maybe around June...will have some titles but we're not gonna tell you any of them or any features of the BC...

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 02:27:52 PM »
 :girlaff

The only rumor I was hopping was true was that online only would be in a separate tier for less money. I’ll continue to not subscribe and buy any online games on pc.

I’m so far behind in playing Sony exclusives that by the time I get to any ps5 games they’ll be $20 or less.

Polident Hive

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
Are they gonna use PCSX again for PS1 or step up to Duckstation? You can do cool stuff in it. Texture perspective correction, overclocking, higher resolutions.

Xbox is having BC games bumped to 4K and 60 FPS. Least they an do is run Kenka Bancho PSP run at 5X resolution.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2022, 03:16:47 PM »
Are they gonna use PCSX again for PS1 or step up to Duckstation? You can do cool stuff in it. Texture perspective correction, overclocking, higher resolutions.

Xbox is having BC games bumped to 4K and 60 FPS. Least they an do is run Kenka Bancho PSP run at 5X resolution.

Doubtful.  :-\
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »
Sony's effort level is usually just a step above Nintendo and 10 steps below MS on anything.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »
Sony's effort level is usually just a step above Nintendo and 10 steps below MS on anything.

I feel like both Sony and Nintendo are having a heated contest to see who can do worse for their backlog/retro catalogue offerings.  Years ago never would I have ever imagined that Microsoft of all companies would be the ones doing the most for preservation of their legacy games, and yet here we are.   :(

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 04:54:12 PM »
Nintendo dumps their ROMs at $5-15: "WTF why do I have to rebuy this AGAIN? I still have the cart and thirty other digital editions already!"

Nintendo does a Netflix-style service with heavy curation: "WTF where's all the ROMs?"

:thinking

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 04:58:43 PM »
The PS2 games I'd want to replay the most are the ones that have a near 0% chance of happening due to licensing and shit :tocry
(ice)

Tuckers Law

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 05:13:56 PM »
Nintendo dumps their ROMs at $5-15: "WTF why do I have to rebuy this AGAIN? I still have the cart and thirty other digital editions already!"

Nintendo does a Netflix-style service with heavy curation: "WTF where's all the ROMs?"

No reason they couldn't do both, but even if they were to start again and offer the ability to purchase retro games individually, I doubt I would ever even consider it regardless of cost.  Unless they made a clear and unequivocal statement confirming that the purchased roms would carry over to future systems with your account and be playable there, I won't trust Nintendo to not pull the same shit they did going from Wii & Wii-U to Switch.

Polident Hive

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 05:23:21 PM »
Trying to think of cool features they could add if they tried. Including Japanese dubs for PS2 games? I've toyed around with undub patches.

But maybe people deserve to experience early PS2 voice acting

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »

No reason they couldn't do both, but even if they were to start again and offer the ability to purchase retro games individually, I doubt I would ever even consider it regardless of cost.  Unless they made a clear and unequivocal statement confirming that the purchased roms would carry over to future systems with your account and be playable there, I won't trust Nintendo to not pull the same shit they did going from Wii & Wii-U to Switch.

Get ready for the Nintendo Switch Plus, Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe Plus and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Plus.  8)
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2022, 08:59:50 PM »

I mean, I wouldn't either. The no account system burned me hard transitioning to Wii U. Never again.

NSO has been working out since

1. I don't game much anymore
2. I realized over the years, if I retro game, 99% of the time it's Mario World or Link to the Past, both NSO launch games
3. 64 and Gen are freebies since Expansion Pass was a given, considering Happy Home Paradise (and MK8 DLC)'s inclusion

Wish the emus were more accurate tho.

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 09:00:58 PM »
Wait why am I posting in a Sony thread lol. Sorry for my Nintardery.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 11:43:56 PM »

Might have something to do with MS having a metric fuckton of cash and not caring about burning it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »
"Launch" lineup

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/05/16/all-new-playstation-plus-game-lineup-assassins-creed-valhalla-demons-souls-ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-nba-2k22-and-more-join-the-service/

Important to note: If any of your PSP/PS1 buys from back then get added to the service, you can download them and play [without needing PS+]

Problem is the launch lineup is dogshit terrible so pretty much none of your RPG purchases arent there
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 09:40:40 AM »
That's a disappointing list. Most of those games are already available on the existing services. I'll check out Death Stranding and maybe Ghost Of Tsushima.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2022, 09:52:52 AM »
I'll sub for a month or two and try out Demon's Souls and some other stuff, it doesn't look like an essential service tho, the classics list is fucking barren :doge
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2022, 06:38:23 PM »
Yeah, list is not for hardcore gamers who have most of that stuff already. It's decent for newcomers/casuals who haven't played a lot of it as there's a lot of great games in there, but I can't see a single thing I'd play.

Will keep paying the bare minimum for online play and that's about it.

Polident Hive

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 07:29:12 PM »
If there’s a way to upgrade for a month for $5, I’ll do it to play Miles Morales, Returnal, and Guardians. Almost everything else I already redeemed on PS Plus.

Classics plan is lame. Ape Escape 2 is the only PS2 game I bought on PS4 and it’s broken on PS5. If they fix that, cool. Doubt PS1 will have PGXP and widescreen hacks. Why that’s the only PSP game is just strange. Could’ve gone all in on Ape Escape and put the PSP remake of 1 on there. PS3 selection would be decent if it weren’t streaming.

Svejk

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 09:09:05 PM »
Funny how they'll offer the PS4 Spidey and also Miles, but still no Spidey Remastered stand alone.  :doge

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 05:39:51 AM »
They're oddly precious about that :doge
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 09:03:52 PM »
Maybe it's a bit ridiculous, but it's not like MS has released tons of comparable first-party.

What I mean is expensive AAA single-player games. Something like The Last of US 2 really doesn't have many money-making avenues beyond an initial purchase.

Yeah GAAS games like Halo do benefit from Gamepass, more people able to enter your platform means more MT purchases and a bigger player base.

Im not convinced gamepass is going to benefit from the type of stuff Sony publishes. Look past the kneejerk reaction of "yeah hur hur sad dad games" or "hur hur linear story games". What I mean is purely single player AAA games. Beyond of course another source of income after the day one sales.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:11:00 PM by Rahxephon91 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2022, 08:19:18 PM »
PS1 games will have Trophies (at least Syphon Filter)

https://twitter.com/BendStudio/status/1527391707733577728
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2022, 08:39:25 AM »
There better be one for the taser. The best weapon in the game.

You shoot so much electricity through the enemies they start burning to death.

Svejk

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2022, 12:11:24 PM »
Gimme Alundra, Sony!  DOOOEEEET!

Polident Hive

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2022, 11:04:14 PM »
Classics were updated early on international stores. Same perks for PS1 and PSP. Emulated at higher resolutions, save states, rewind, a CRT scanline filter. Online multiplayer for PS1. No achievements yet. Didn’t see anything about perspective correction on PS1, widescreen hacks, overclocking like duckstation and PPSSPP.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 12:17:02 AM »
Trophies look to be optional, so some games won't have them
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 12:21:55 AM »
Classics were updated early on international stores. Same perks for PS1 and PSP. Emulated at higher resolutions, save states, rewind, a CRT scanline filter. Online multiplayer for PS1. No achievements yet. Didn’t see anything about perspective correction on PS1, widescreen hacks, overclocking like duckstation and PPSSPP.

Honestly compared to PS1 on PS2 or PS3 that's pretty nice.

Basically just comes down to the library they release. Most of my PS1 digital games on PS3 were from the JP store since they brought over like 50-75% of the entire PS1 library.

That said, outside like ten PS1 games, I don't find PS1 gen very replayable today. More interested in when they get to PS2 if they have those kind of features.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 01:59:05 AM »
Lol, PS1 has some of the best JRPGs you cum over, go off king

10 games though
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 02:54:30 PM »
New trophies

- Wild ARMs
- Ape Escape
- Intelligent Qube
- Hot Shots Golf
- Syphon Filter
fat

Kurt Russell

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2022, 06:43:19 AM »
Woah boy:

PS Plus Members in Asia Irate As Sony Wipes Discounts on Tier Upgrades, Demands Upfront Fee for Stacked Subs

Effectively, it’s wiping out any discounts that memberships may have been purchased with, and is also demanding an upfront fee to upgrade stacked subscriptions.

All of this is resulting in some users being quoted $100s in order to upgrade from the bog-standard PS Plus Essential to PS Plus Extra or PS Plus Deluxe (the alternative version of PS Plus Premium available in countries without cloud streaming functionality).

To further expand upon what Asian players are angry about, those who have active PS Plus Essential memberships into, say, 2026 are being quoted the price of four full years in order to upgrade to PS Plus Extra or PS Plus Deluxe. There’s no way to upgrade for, say, one year and then return to PS Plus Essential once that term expires. Sony will charge you the difference to upgrade, but some of the upfront fees being shared are enormous.

To make matters worse, unfathomably, the Japanese giant is wiping out historical discounts on subscriptions purchased through the PS Store. So, if, for example, you bought your membership while it was on sale and then choose to upgrade, it’ll bump up the price difference to erode the savings you originally earned.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/ps-plus-members-in-asia-irate-as-sony-wipes-discounts-on-tier-upgrades-demands-upfront-fee-for-stacked-subs
woke

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »
Ol scammin Soyny at it again :money
(ice)

Kurt Russell

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2022, 07:11:33 AM »
...weren't there people on Era subbed until the mid 2030s?

:dead
woke

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2022, 07:14:05 AM »
Sounds right (and fucking insane)
(ice)

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2022, 12:26:35 PM »
Again, how do you fuck this up so badly when you already had a perfectly functional framework from the Microsoft roll out of gamepass ultimate? :crazy

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2022, 06:43:19 PM »
I don't get the soy thing
QED

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2022, 06:51:44 AM »
Woah boy:

PS Plus Members in Asia Irate As Sony Wipes Discounts on Tier Upgrades, Demands Upfront Fee for Stacked Subs

Effectively, it’s wiping out any discounts that memberships may have been purchased with, and is also demanding an upfront fee to upgrade stacked subscriptions.

All of this is resulting in some users being quoted $100s in order to upgrade from the bog-standard PS Plus Essential to PS Plus Extra or PS Plus Deluxe (the alternative version of PS Plus Premium available in countries without cloud streaming functionality).

To further expand upon what Asian players are angry about, those who have active PS Plus Essential memberships into, say, 2026 are being quoted the price of four full years in order to upgrade to PS Plus Extra or PS Plus Deluxe. There’s no way to upgrade for, say, one year and then return to PS Plus Essential once that term expires. Sony will charge you the difference to upgrade, but some of the upfront fees being shared are enormous.

To make matters worse, unfathomably, the Japanese giant is wiping out historical discounts on subscriptions purchased through the PS Store. So, if, for example, you bought your membership while it was on sale and then choose to upgrade, it’ll bump up the price difference to erode the savings you originally earned.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/ps-plus-members-in-asia-irate-as-sony-wipes-discounts-on-tier-upgrades-demands-upfront-fee-for-stacked-subs

tbh this is a god tier dick move.

Even nintendo wouldnt go this far.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2022, 11:46:27 AM »
I see it doesn’t say refund, but credit.  Given how Sony has acted the last several years I have to assume this is psn credit and not a refund.  They got the money and you’re gonna spend it on Sony products any way :crowdlaff

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2022, 12:15:46 PM »
:rollsafe
(ice)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2022, 08:41:02 PM »
I don't get the soy thing

First recorded in 1690–1700; perhaps via Dutch or New Latin soya, soja, from Japanese shōyu, earlier siau-yu, from Middle Chinese, equivalent to Chinese jìngyóu “soybean oil”. Hope this helps.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2022, 09:22:06 AM »
This is live on US, just downloaded all the games with trophies.

Ape Escape confirmed US version
fat

Polident Hive

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2022, 12:40:43 PM »
From the app, I already owned Jumping Flash, naturally, also Syphon Filter and Wild Arms. They were free at some point?

Game selection is better than I thought. EDF4.1 and Disaster Report 4 are on there. Don’t know if the upgrade cost is fixed or if somehow perfectly sits at $25 for 220 days remaining. Gonna do it whenever I get home. Next tier higher is only $38. Don’t care about the features.

Gotta try Ape Escape 2 later. App doesn’t prompt an upgrade like the PS1 games. It’s been broken on PS5 and was a PAL on NTSC case. If they patch it, cool.

Bebpo

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2022, 01:28:35 PM »
Looking at the final US list,

PS4/PS5 ain't bad. Pretty close to gamepass backlog selection minus the recent AAA & MS 1st party. A lot of quality indie games and even newer stuff like The Artful Escape.
PS3 is fine selection if you are ok with streaming (which supposedly looks and plays fine)
PS2 is non-existant
PS1 is jokingly small selection

Still got no interest in any of this, just like I've got no interest in game pass currently or Nintendo online. Don't have the time to play more stuff than I've already got in my backlog.

They'd really need to ramp up the PS1 selection ten-fold and start doing a large amount of PS2 for me to get interested. It's pretty sad that PS1 on PS3 in Asia had like the entire PS1 library ported and now it's like ...10 games. I get they are adding trophies and stuff, but still this is pretty weak for classics. Reminds me of Nintendo Online's barely a drop selection of classics, but even less here. Modern companies really suck with retro stuff.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2022, 01:40:14 PM »

Gotta try Ape Escape 2 later. App doesn’t prompt an upgrade like the PS1 games. It’s been broken on PS5 and was a PAL on NTSC case. If they patch it, cool.

No PS2 games were updated
fat

Svejk

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2022, 01:48:43 PM »
Still got no interest in any of this, just like I've got no interest in game pass currently or Nintendo online. Don't have the time to play more stuff than I've already got in my backlog.
Very much this.

Polident Hive

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2022, 01:58:39 PM »
Haven’t tried PlayStation streaming, but going back to testing F3AR 3 Onlive, none of the streaming games services felt adequate for my taste. Xbox cloud is responsive and the input lag is remarkably low. Still looks like you’re playing a YouTube video with visible compression artifacts. There’s a compromise one way or another. Cool for couple minutes but not playing a full game with it.

No PS2 games were updated

amazing lol