Author Topic: New Videogame Releases MEGA Thread: Its OK to be excited about videogames  (Read 663 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY

NEON WHITE
REALEASING ON PC AND SWITCH
OUT JUNE 16TH
INDIE GAME
"ITS A GAME FOR FREAKS"

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/neon-white/holy-hell
You assume the role of Neon White; a dead assassin pulled from Hell for a divine competition. Demons overrun Heaven, so the powers that be task White and a host of damned with cleaning up the mess. The banished soul with the best – and fastest – score wins the opportunity to spend eternity in Heaven. They do this by running as fast as possible through various districts of the Pearly Gates, blowing away demons with a varying arsenal of heavenly guns.

With rare exceptions, playing through any individual level of Neon White takes less than a minute. From the jump, it stresses you play as fast as possible at all times. It also emphasizes replaying levels for increasingly better times. Running and jumping feel excellent; they're fluid, quick, and give an impression of floating throughout a level.

But it's the guns where Neon White shines. You pick up firearms via cards strewn inside a level, each having two functions. The first is simply shooting. The second, however, is the discard option, which grants White a brief platforming advantage. Discarding pistols gives a double jump, shotguns blast you in the direction you're facing, rifles directly forward, SMGs send you hurtling toward the ground, and rocket launchers give a grapple shot.

Levels demand mastery of all these options; you must run, shoot, jump, and use discards at precisely the right moment to reach your destination, while also killing every demon in a level. I loved trying and retrying levels over and over until I finally got the combination of moves correct, and then I loved, even more, trying to whittle my times down to the "Ace" score. My heart was often firmly lodged in my throat as I crossed the finish line, and few things feel better than besting my times by literal tenths of a second.

. It recalls anime like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop and music from now-defunct bands like Drop Dead, Gorgeous and The Blood Brothers. Its heavenly-yet-violent aesthetic is slick, striking, and full of attitude. Like the tee-shirt section of a Hot Topic and the anime aisle of a Suncoast Video collided into each other. You can imagine 480p AMVs of Neon White playthroughs set to "The Show Must Go On" or "Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck." You can imagine seeing kids in brightly-colored Neon White shirts at a Taste of Chaos tour date. Hell, Steven Blum even voices White!

If any of that means anything to you, you are the "really specific" person for whom Esposito made this game. If the above reads like a different language, you'll likely still enjoy Neon White, but you're hardly the key demographic.

Neon White achieves everything it sets out to with remarkable success. Not only is it one of the most entertaining experiences I've played in years, but it also speaks to a highly specific audience many just don't anymore. It's for weirdos, misfits, and dorks. Neon White is one of the best games of the year, and it'd be a colossal mistake not to check it out. 

9.5/10

Pre-ordered and preloaded on Switch. Bought it based on artstyle alone. 8)
OH!

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
NEON WHITE

Played the first level, the style and vibe is incredible.  Very relaxing and beautiful minimalistic visuals, bopping soundtrack, great menus, gameplay loop is about pushing yourself and shaving off as much time as possible to get rewards. Great voice acting, the whole shebang.

I loved the first level so much, I spent hours climbing the leaderboards.....

Number 1 in the world.  8)

Now to play the next level lmao.  :-*

TMNT SHREDDERS REVENGE
OUT ON PC, SWITCH, XBOX, PLAYSTATION
AVAILABLE ON GAME PASS
INCREDIBLY FUN BEAT EM UP

Played a lil bit of story mode and then Arcade co-op with Papa. It's really fun and there's a good amount of depth for your mlveset. Online play feels incredibly smooth, but there's a lot of visual mishaps once stuff gets hectic. Having more fun with this than Streets of Rage 4, which I thought was pretty good.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Shredder's Revenge is the shit.

Cowabunga!!!
🤴