Author Topic: The Witcher Remake by CDPR  (Read 528 times)

Svejk

The Witcher Remake by CDPR
« on: October 26, 2022, 10:05:20 AM »

We are thrilled to announce that The Witcher Remake is being worked on! That's right, the game that started it all is being rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5.

The game is currently in the early stages of development at the Polish studio Fool's Theory, where veteran Witcher series staff are involved. We, as CD PROJEKT RED, are providing full creative supervision.
https://www.thewitcher.com/en/news/46225/the-witcher-remake-is-in-development

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: The Witcher Remake by CDPR
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 10:21:42 AM »
Meanwhile, still no next-gen current gen patch for Witcher 3.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 10:40:50 AM »
LAME STOP REMAKING GAMES FFS
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 10:51:23 AM »
This is game that totally could have done with a remake tho, seeing as the original is weird and shit (never played it cos of how weird people say it is).
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »
I had a pretty good time when I played through it the first time in 2019. It does play like ass though even by 2007 standards lmao so this is one recent game remake that kinda makes sense.

I thought W2 played perfectly fine though. I feel it’d be a waste to remake that.
Margs

thetylerrob

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 11:28:42 AM »
The original feels like it would need so many changes to every single aspect of it that this remake isn't so much a remake, but will be more like a prequel to 2/3 set in the time that the original would have taken place.

Witcher 1 was super weird and the other games in the series feel way more confident in direction. I would love to see the reaction modern audiences would have to the sexual conquest trading cards.

Svejk

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 11:37:57 AM »
Meanwhile, still no next-gen current gen patch for Witcher 3.
The supposed leak is Dec. 9th.

Polident Hive

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 02:11:06 PM »
Yeah. This’ll need to be a reinvention more than a visual bump. Have a boxed copy somewhere. Back in 2007, Witcher, stalker, and Crysis was this big PC only moment. All were janky in their own ways. Felt right at the end of a time when PC gaming had a barrier to entry.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 11:31:18 AM »
I played the original Witcher on a whim back near release (maybe 2009 or so). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it - it's certainly super clunky (click click combat, lack of fast travel, some environments that are a drag to trek through and you have to constantly go back and forth through them, dated and clunky UI, framerate stuttering and rigid movement), and there's a feeling of the developers improving their craft as you advance in the game, but it's got a lot of neat quests, interesting characters, and Slavic mythos that's unique for the RPG genre. I especially liked how the final battle worked out, along with the chapter-long Salamandra investigation.
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 02:23:40 PM »
I had a pretty good time when I played through it the first time in 2019. It does play like ass though even by 2007 standards lmao so this is one recent game remake that kinda makes sense.

I thought W2 played perfectly fine though. I feel it’d be a waste to remake that.

I wouldn't be against CDPR tarting W2 up a bit and improving/tightening up the combat and dropping a PS5/XBox release or something like that. A remaster if you will.

Ie making Geralts face more inline with Witcher 3 rather than him looking like a heroin addict like he does in 2.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 02:30:26 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 03:54:26 PM »
It never made much sense that they never ported it to PS3 or did a quick and dirty remaster for PS4/XBO. It’s BC for Xbots at least, but Ponies have no access to it. I guess CDPR was still too small pre Witcher 3 breakout success to handle it.
Margs

Himu

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 04:25:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. I hated how big Witcher 3 was and can't stand modern open world games so that game didn't click. A smaller, more tighter Witcher really sounds appealing to me.

I might give Witcher 3 another shot when I got my series x.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 11:29:53 PM »
It seems similar to me as the recent Mass Effect remaster. Bioware had no issues with the story and overall outline they just wanted to touch up a number of areas, especially those that they refined and perfected in 2 and 3, so that the whole trilogy had a similar standard achieved. Mass Effect in the Anniversary Edition isn't exactly the same but it's unlikely that someone who just played it in that version and someone who played the original would think the other is talking about a completely different game aside from the latter having some complaints the former wouldn't have.

The main difference with this is that I think CDPR would have to do rather more touchups to bring it up to par with the rest of the trilogy. That could easily just be because Mass Effect was Bioware's number what game while The Witcher is the first game CDPR ever made.