Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 1325 times)

Himu

The Beatles Thread
« on: December 11, 2022, 01:11:27 PM »
So recently Beatles have been putting out a lot of cool stuff, especially since The Get Back doc came out. I have been watching Get Back for the first time. I've been in a really big Beatles mood lately and been going through their albums in sequential order again, and falling in love with them all over again and again.

Full disclosure: until recently I had never listened to Let It Be (the album). I first got into The Beatles in 2009 with the remastered boxset and although at first I found their music hard to get into, eventually their music made me swoon and sway. It just clicked. The more I listened the more my heart tapped its foot to their beat with Ringo's queer songs, George's beauty, Paul's positivity, and especially John's introspection. Abbey Road stands as one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. I can listen to it over and over and over in the same sitting and outside of Maxwell's Silver Hammer I consider it a perfect album. So, for the sake of my tapping heart, I've never really wanted to say good bye to this band that broke nearly two decades prior to my birth. With that in mind there was a sense of finality to Let It Be, something I've avoided all this time. I'll have to admit that I wasn't actually impressed with the album until I heard Let It Be Naked which is a wonderful album that feels like a combination of all the Beatles' various eras and styles into one with the wonderful mixing and production I'm so used to regarding their music. It was nice to say goodbye.

Lately The Beatles YouTube has been uploading full on modern music videos for songs from Revolver due to that albums release being given special editions.

They're truly wonderful.

The video for Here, There, Everywhere was released 4 days and it's stunning in its beauty. Something about it just encapsulates The Beatles that gives you nostalgia for a time you've never lived, breathed, or tasted yet feels so familiar and inviting. Nearly 60 years on from their first studio album and their music still hits. It helps that the song itself is just spiked with a melancholic almost dream-like twist. I've always hated how short it was.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:40:37 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Kurt Russell

Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 04:13:57 AM »
Something about it just encapsulates The Beatles that gives you nostalgia for a time you've never lived, breathed, or tasted yet feels so familiar and inviting.

If you want some more of this, try listening to Olivia Tremor Control. In particular, Dusk at Cubist Castle is basically an 80 minute raid on The Beatles back catalog.
woke

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 05:55:08 AM »
I only like metal covers of Beatles songs

Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 06:05:39 AM »

Snoopycat_

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 07:52:34 AM »
Morrigan comment?

Himu

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 09:33:38 AM »
Beatles covers are one of my all time favorite things.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 11:50:11 AM »
Every time I hear the original Here, There and Everywhere I keep expecting Celine Dion's delivery :-*

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 11:53:45 AM »

One of the most influential songs of all time.

Himu

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
Revolver is amazing.

Could you imagine hearing The Beatles in the 60's? What's amazing is how short The Beatles' run actually was. Shit was like 6 years give or take, and they did innovation after innovation.

I can't take people that call them overrated seriously.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 12:12:12 PM »

One of the most influential songs of all time.

Legendary song.  Always wild to think how long ago this was made.

Drugs (and a friendly rivalry with The Beach Boys) were the true fifth member of The Beatles.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »

Himu

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 12:19:16 PM »
Bro, the  2019 mix of Something is incredible. I

Top 5 love songs ever.

One thing I always loved about Beatles was their production and use of sweeping orchestration. George Martin :bow

Just what a record. WHAT A SONG! :lawd

One of my favorite parts of The Beatles is how just vast their influences are. These days influenced people all over the map and it wasn't just rockers. It was even racially agnostic. So many legendary black musicians seemed to absolutely adore The Beatles.

Like Duke Ellington is considered probably the best jazz musician besides Coltrane and here he is playing Beatles music.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
Bruh. Like 6 years and they put out like 13 LPs and once they get to Revolver every single album is a banger.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 12:24:11 PM »
Should post a Beatles song as well. This has always been my personal favourite.

Himu

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
Can't make a Beatles thread without posting the greatest cover album of all time.

I suggest this album to any person trying to get into The Beatles. Start with Abbey Road then listen to Other Side. If you have any taste you'll drum your fingers or tap your foot. If not, you can't be saved.

What's cool about The Beatles is there's so many answers to them. Jazz is like,"here's our answer to the Beatles" and R&B is like,"here's our answer" and it's just dope how they're communicating between genres and showing each other love and appreciation for music especially during a time when music as segregated racially as it was then.

Something in particular gets lots of play from almost every musician no matter the genre.

From James Brown

To Lena Horne and Gabor Szabo.

I could yap about The Beatles and their influence on music all day. It fascinates me. And that's just one song.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:48:54 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 12:10:21 AM »
Wrong thread lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 01:58:22 PM »
I'm on Magical Mystery Tour on my discog listen and I forgot how utterly maddening this album is. This was the Beatles album that took me the longest to "get".

One thing I love about Strawberry Fields Forever is how it's like a distillation of the 60's sound. When I think in my Mind's Ear, what the 60's "sounds like" I think of the drums in Strawberry Fields. It just sounds 60's. Yet you have to remember that was people generally think of when they refer to "the 60's" was only 1967-1970 in terms of sound and aesthetic.

Utterly brilliant.

And then there's this insanity of a classic of John Lennon responding to finding out The Beatles was being taught in his former school.

Sitting on a Corn Flake might be the greatest lyric of all time.

The Beatles have so much range from experimental insanity to the best love song of the century. What absolute mad lads and I get more obsessed with them the older I get.

To think they weren't even 30 by the time The Beatles ended is :mindblown
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 04:38:50 PM »
It's funny, I am a huge Beatles stan and after getting back into vinyl, I have all of their stuff on CD, and now vinyl. And for some reason I have never, *ever* gotten into Let It Be. I bought the 4 record set of it the other day to give it a chance.

If I could recommend a fresh listen - try and find Sgt. Peppers in mono - it is a very different experience.

And will aways rotate between Revolver and Rubber Soul as the best overall album.
rub

Himu

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »
It's funny, I am a huge Beatles stan and after getting back into vinyl, I have all of their stuff on CD, and now vinyl. And for some reason I have never, *ever* gotten into Let It Be. I bought the 4 record set of it the other day to give it a chance.

If I could recommend a fresh listen - try and find Sgt. Peppers in mono - it is a very different experience.

And will aways rotate between Revolver and Rubber Soul as the best overall album.

What's so great about Sgt Pepper mono? Different how?
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2022, 09:52:45 PM »

What's so great about Sgt Pepper mono? Different how?

The original mix was mono. The stereo mix has isolated sounds in channels most of the time, so there's a real left-right headspace - instruments are panned way too hard. She's Leaving Home in mono is slightly faster and pitched higher and there's something brighter about it. The drums are more focused in Day in the Life.

I bought the 4 cd set that was remastered a couple years ago and it also included Penny Lane and it really, honestly felt like a new song.

Now what I *didn't* know is that there apparently is a huge debate among fans between the mono and stereo mixes and after just doing a couple minutes searching, I am suddenly ashamed I mentioned it.

In all honesty it's worth having both. :)

Anyway here's She's Leaving Home in Stereo:

And here it is in Mono:

Both are so good.
rub

Himu

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2022, 11:09:42 PM »
So which should I get? 2009 or 2017 boxset? And the boxset doesn't include the super deluxe versions like the 4 cd Sgt Pepper, right?

I've always listened to the 2009 mixes I've always listened to because it's what I started with. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 11:16:13 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 01:02:26 AM »
Holy shit Get Back is incredible. Done with Ep 1. The part on January 9 where they're just fucking around and Paul churns out song after song after song after song literally, just fucks around with Golden Slumbers, You're Gonna Carry That Weight, Get Back,  She Came In Through The Bathroom Window;etc.

Holy fuck Paul is a bloody genius.
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
So which should I get? 2009 or 2017 boxset? And the boxset doesn't include the super deluxe versions like the 4 cd Sgt Pepper, right?

I've always listened to the 2009 mixes I've always listened to because it's what I started with.

Stick with 2009, but there have been further remixes that are worth getting like the 4 CD sgt peppers, the white album, and let it be. I think they recently redid revolver. Also the 2009 box doesn't include the singles in mono so you're technically missing a song or two I think.

Honestly you can never win this game because they'll always sell stuff to chumps like me.
rub

Tuckers Law

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
The new Revolver mix is impressive IMO.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2022, 02:08:20 PM »
Anyone who hasn't heard it, you should really give the Love album a shot; partially remaster, partially mashup, partially remix; its a weird little oddity that genuinely breathes fresh air into a lot of tracks (and if you liked the Danger Mouse Grey Album for the same reasons, you'll love it).

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 02:14:18 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2022, 02:21:17 PM »
Anyone who hasn't heard it, you should really give the Love album a shot; partially remaster, partially mashup, partially remix; its a weird little oddity that genuinely breathes fresh air into a lot of tracks (and if you liked the Danger Mouse Grey Album for the same reasons, you'll love it).

Totally totally agree with this. It's so creative and the medleys are astounding. Excellent use of different cuts of Strawberry Fields and mashups of their live performances.
rub

Himu

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2022, 01:21:01 AM »

This is dope. I love this. I'm not even a big fan of Within You Without You original but love this.
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2022, 06:21:21 AM »

First heard Love on the radio when it was released. They played the entire album uninterrupted. :lawd

Some absolute gems of arrangements.

Himu

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 03:08:17 PM »

First heard Love on the radio when it was released. They played the entire album uninterrupted. :lawd

Some absolute gems of arrangements.

What kind of radio station is this?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 08:53:11 PM »
Okay so Sgt Pepper in Mono is incredible. 

I think my ears came when I heard A Day In The Life.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 09:04:40 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2022, 05:48:16 AM »
What kind of radio station is this?

Just some regular station. Last time I heard an album in full like that was Kendrick Lamar's Damn (the original version before the changes).

Himu

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2022, 11:22:18 PM »
I am convinced that Yoko Ono should have been a metal band singer while watching Get Back. She is lovely. She is marvelous. She would absolutely fit death metal and the plebians of the world don't see it. I am serious in that I would buy a metal backed Yoko Ono album. If John wasn't killed I could see the two of them getting into thrash or something holy fuck :mindblown It'd be a perfect fit
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 08:46:56 AM »
Okay so Sgt Pepper in Mono is incredible. 

I think my ears came when I heard A Day In The Life.

It's just great isn't it?
rub

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2024, 09:06:03 PM »

Totally totally agree with this. It's so creative and the medleys are astounding. Excellent use of different cuts of Strawberry Fields and mashups of their live performances.

I had no idea about this album. Thanks!