Author Topic: Kamiya is leaving PlatinumGames  (Read 679 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Kamiya is leaving PlatinumGames
« on: September 25, 2023, 02:06:06 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 02:26:22 PM by Let's Cyber »

Bebpo

Re: Kamiya is leaving PlatinumGames
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 02:48:22 PM »
What was the last game he directed? W101?

Kamiya of old is one of my favorite game designers, but I feel like he's been in a funk for like 10+ years now. Hopefully this gets him out of it and he can make another kick ass action game somewhere.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 03:50:02 PM »
He co-directed Sol Cresta but mostly supervising on other projects like Astral Chain and Bayo 3.

It honestly feels like Scalebound's failure cut him deep. It was a dream project that took many years of work and development time but ultimately ended in failure. I'm guessing Project G.G. is also dead in the water.  :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »
Shame but after Platinum hired a Nintendo exec to run the company it was pretty clear what direction they were headed.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 11:19:25 PM »
I read he blocked Platinum Games on Twitter. Sounds like a bad break up.

Going to guess he had a game he'd been working on for a few years and it got canned. And having that happen again after Scalebound and wasting all those years of his life on nothing to show, he rage quit.

But who knows. Maybe he'll go kickstarter, or maybe he'll go back to Capcom and join the other ex-Clover/Platinum people at M2 there.

Himu

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 11:23:47 PM »
Ah, my fellow strong personality artist. I understand 100%
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 07:18:04 AM »
Could be fun if he returned to Capcom
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »
I do find it weird that Platinum finally had their big hit with Nier Automata and then seemingly fell off a cliff afterwards, even Bayonetta 3 came and went pretty quick.
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 08:02:06 AM »
I read he blocked Platinum Games on Twitter. Sounds like a bad break up.

:dead
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 04:11:23 PM »
I do find it weird that Platinum finally had their big hit with Nier Automata and then seemingly fell off a cliff afterwards, even Bayonetta 3 came and went pretty quick.
They're sort of stuck with what the publishers want. SEGA put them on niche titles which was a good fit but not commercially viable.
Square Enix probably not interested to jump into a NIER Automata sequel until they knew how it would sell (and unclear if Yoko Taro actually wants to do another one).
Babylons Fall of course a big bomb and might've also put a strain on their relationship with SE.

The Wonderful 101 has its fans but not enough to sustain a company. Astral Chain was a decent hit but Nintendo probably wants to wait with a sequel until next gen.
Metal Gear Solid Revengeance was fucking awesome, but again a dead end in terms of future work or development.
Nintendo simply wanted Bayo 3 after Bayo 2 because they believe in slowly expanding their franchises like they did with Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.

When Capcom split into Platinum Games, Tango Gameworks and some ran off the Zelda team it seemed like they would not recover from the hit.
But their younger talent faced the grind, the company allowed for some trial and error and now they've started to produce one banger after another with a relatively young team.

Not sure where Kamiya can go from here, unlikely that a big publisher will bank roll him going solo. So he either retires early like Mikami, tries his hand at crowdfunding or joins a big publisher anyway.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 06:10:19 AM »
Maybe Platinum should try making good games
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 06:03:11 AM »
Could be fun if he returned to Capcom