Author Topic: Post-Depression Gaming: The Witcher 3 is pretty good  (Read 582 times)

Himu

Post-Depression Gaming: The Witcher 3 is pretty good
« on: November 25, 2023, 12:33:08 PM »
Years ago when I first tried this game out I hated everything. I truly feel the estrogen did something to my brain to make me myopic and depressed. Anyways, I restarted it and just got to ....Viziien or something after finding Yennefer. Combat isn't as bad as I remember. I'm loving it more because my expectations are more guarded. I don't consider it a real RPG which was what I originally bought into and I'm considering it action adventure with RPG elements. I'm enjoying it much more with those expectations. I'm surprised how textual the world building is. Found some hunter and he talked about how he was the boy lover of the King's son. They were found out and then the Prince killed himself, forcing the King into an alcoholic rage and stupor. I forgot a lot of details but I did remember the drunken King during my play and I put two and two together as to how that's how he got to that point. This game is really good at laying hints without going full on with the world building. It does this very well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 04:59:25 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Svejk

Re: Post-Depression Gaming: The Witcher 3 is pretty good
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 02:32:01 PM »
Game of the Gen for me.  Glad to hear it's clicking more.. Hope you keep going, because it only gets better and better.  I still like it more than CP2077 tbph.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 02:50:58 PM »
The harder difficulties also help you feel more like a Witcher. Like proper combat preparations are actually helpful on higher difficulty. It changes the way you play the game.

Himu

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 03:04:24 PM »
Hmmm, I was wrong? Okay so the details at the Empire reveal that they put the Bloody Baron in charge of Velen and he was a common punk they gave the keys to the castle to? He wasn't the gay princes dad?

I like that the game isn't time consuming. For instance you get a bunch of question marks and stuff on the map. You can fast travel to a signpost and just mess around for a few minutes and clear 2 or 3 question marks and then put it up and feel accomplished. Doesn't seem to be one of those games where you have to clear the whole map like Bethesda games or Ubisoft games.

The quests are also surprisingly layered. Met herbalist, she was caring for a girl attacked by the griffin. I made a potion for her that will either save her or kill her - either way, she's going to die so might as well. I come back to the herbalist and the Empire took her. I guess I'll find her on my travels.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 03:10:28 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 08:08:52 PM »
It's one of the best, despite the combat. I've played through the main campaign 4 times and the DLCs trice. I just love existing in that world.  :heart

If you get bored of Velen, don't hesitate to head north and just check out Novigrad. The tone and atmosphere is so completely different, it's an excellent change of pace if swamps and misery aren't your thing.

Polident Hive

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 05:45:36 AM »
Witcher 3 was the game I kept saying I’ll play when I upgrade my PC, which finally happened this year, at a time I find myself nowhere near my desktop PC. Maybe it’s best to wait until the 10th anniversary in two years and see if there’s a new edition.

In regards to playing games when you’re down. Yeah. Think Okami was that for me. 50/50 not feeling games at the time and how slow that opening section is. Or recently RDR2, but there I’ve heard enough people echo my issues that I don’t think revisiting it will change my thoughts.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 03:09:18 PM »
How is this going? What platform are you on?

Himu

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 12:30:01 AM »
How is this going? What platform are you on?
Xbox. Been playing it and RDR2 side by side. Kind of prefer RDR2. Game is still great. Got to a city to find Triss, and there's people burning folks at the stake. Triss is gone. Found Baron's daughter. She's in a cult.

Going to be spending time going around gathering quests in Swamp Land this weekend.
IYKYK