0 (0%)
Salem's Lot
4 (36.4%)
All of his novels are crap
1 (9.1%)
Mupepe: Les Erotica Diabolique
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Best Stephen King novel?  (Read 1067 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Best Stephen King novel?
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:10 PM »
Note the lack of The Stand, papanguses -- it sucked. It's embarrassing to read these days. This is not up for dispute.

Same goes for Eyes of the Dragon and the Gunslinger novels. They read like Barker at Barker's worst, like Everville, only with the creepy mythos replaced by gummy cultural asides and ideas cribbed from less bankrupt writers.

The stuff he did with Peter Straub doesn't count, because those books read like bad Gaiman.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Best Stephen King novel?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »
I agree with you, Drinky.

That said, Salem's Lot is a bonafide American classic and the best vampire tale since Bram Stoker's overrated, incoherent Livejournal about a dude that sucked blood in a cape.
PSP

whiteACID

• RAWR
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »
WTF, The Stand was the BEST. I voted for Salem's Lot though. Carrie sucked.
boo

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:33:51 PM »
It's Carrie.  His first book, King still seemed like he was hungry, and he dealt with the narrative in a somewhat non-straightforward way.

I'll still take his short stories over any of his novels, though.  Jerusalem's Lot > Salem's Lot.
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
I haven't read any of his books; therefore, I voted Mupepe.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:35:04 PM »
Carrie is okay, but Salem's Lot is leagues better.
PSP

TVC15

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:38:10 PM »
Carrie is okay, but Salem's Lot is leagues better.

Salem's Lot is a good book, but it's certainly not leagues better than Carrie.  If I read Carrie without knowing better, I probably wouldn't realize so quickly that I was reading King.  Salem's Lot though, is VERY King.
serge

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »
And VERY awesome.
PSP

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »
I voted for mine, but...

I loved The Stand  :-[

And I believe Insomnia is his best novel.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
edit: its by far not the best
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 03:48:26 PM by Viz »
萌え~

TVC15

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »
Pet Sematary is also one of his best.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Sematary
why "sematary" anyway?

The person that designated the area as a pet cemetery couldn't spell "cemetery" correctly :p .
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:00:03 PM »
Y'know, The Shining woulda been a lot better if he'd left the kid and the psychic crap out of it.
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
Y'know, The Shining woulda been a lot better if he'd left the kid and the psychic crap out of it.
Most definitely.  He always adds some sort of stupid shit in.

What did you think about The Tommyknockers?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 04:14:28 PM »
I remember it being the same as "IT", only gayer and with space aliens instead of a magic spider monster.

Why did he hafta ruin IT's killer clown with a magical spider monster. :'(
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 04:17:14 PM »
Oh god, I never understood that!  And that douche bag was a virgin and I hated him!  God it was so lame. 

Here's what I think:

He starts off with a great concept and then slowly gets off track until at the end of the book you're left thinking WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

I still love him though.  Why???  :'(

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
I voted for Mupepe to show my greater (than whiteACID's) undying love and because I've actually never read a S. King novel.  I heard the Dark Tower series is teh 1337 but haven't gotten around to reading it. 

Totally OT but I just recently finished reading 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' and that book totally blew my mind.  I've read a bunch of other Bradbury stuff but this book was just wow.  The imagery and wording he used was magnificent.
:)

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »
The langoliers was wierd.
萌え~

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
I voted for Mupepe to show my greater (than whiteACID's) undying love and because I've actually never read a S. King novel.  I heard the Dark Tower series is teh 1337 but haven't gotten around to reading it. 
:-*

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »
It scared the seventh grade shit out of me.

I like the Dark Tower novels, but my top three are:

1. The Stand
2. Salem's Lot
3. IT (I don't care about the spider monster, the rest of that book kicked my ass)

Anyways, anyone remember Needful Things? It read almost exactly like Salem's Lot, except that it was shitty.

HLR

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:39 PM »
Needful Things is complete ass.

Dolores Claiborne, Misery and the stories in 4 Past Midnight rock though.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
I used to be a huge Stephen King mark, but then I reached adulthood.  I still enjoy his short stories, because in reading them you get the sense that he's not pretending they're anything more than what they are - neat little comic book time-killers.  His problem over the years is that he tends to regard everything he writes as precious, which directly contradicts all the writing advice from him that I've ever read.  And now that he sleeps on a bed stuffed with $1000 bills, apparently there's no editor that he cannot overrule.  Still, when he's on, he's on.  When he's not using painfully outdated slang, or dwelling on the most uninteresting minutiae over multiple pages, or ripping his own characters off from earlier novels, or painting himself into a corner and half-assing an ending.  Fifteen years ago or so, I'd say.

With all that said, here are the ones I still enjoy revisiting from time to time, in no particular order:

CHRISTINE - Don't laugh.  If you read it with the spirit in which it was written in mind (A 1950s teen rebel movie mixed with EC horror comics), it's a great read.  He has a really good insight into what makes a friendship a lifelong friendship here, and even though the premise of a killer car is inherently cheesy, there are some genuinely touching moments throughout.  I even liked the way the narrative perspective shifts during the book.  And they really should have included the rotting corpse of Roland Lebay driving the car in the movie.  I read somewhere that Carpenter regrets not doing that.  And the novel has a decent ending.

SALEM'S LOT -  Everyone points to his description of small towns as a strong suit in this novel, but I think that's kind of horseshit.  Almost every character is a douchebag deserving of being drained by the vampires, and in my opinion it's a very nihilistic, mean-spirited, short-sighted take on small town life - exactly the kind of thing an immature author who thinks he's got it all figured out would write.  What works for me is King's attention to detail, the little bits of vampire lore and legend he incorporates into the story, and a truly suspenseful atmosphere - this underlying sense of dread you get all the way through the book, even during thee quieter parts.  And, possibly because everyone else is such a shitheel, really likeable main protagonists, whom he's not afraid to harm (no spoilers).

PET SEMATARY - If there's one thing King truly does have an uncanny grasp on, it's the way older people think, act, and speak.  Jud Crandall is pretty much my grandfather, and that's a large part of why I like the novel.  Growing up in North Carolina, I got to here a lot of the old ghost stories like the Joe Baldwin legend or the one about the Devil's Hoofprints, and I also read all the "Ghosts of the Carolinas" books with their faked ghost pictures.  The flashback stories about the cemetery's history reminded me a lot of those tales.  And, in my opinion it has the only truly great ending of all King's novels.  King must have been doing mounds of coke when he wrote the screenplay, as he completely misses the point of his own novel.  In the novel, not everyone buried in the cemetery comes back "evil" (although they are changed in significant ways), while in the movie everything comes back as a snarling ghoul.  Why would anyone want to resurrect a living creature knowing from history that it would be this demonic undead thing which would try to kill them is beyond me, but in the book you can understand why someone would want to take a chance - in the book, there was the possibility that whatever you brought back to life might be almost normal.

MISERY - Skip the "romance novel" portions (they aren't necessary to the story, and they're dreadful), and this is a crackerjack suspense novel.  A great, classic character in Annie Wilkes, one who'll lull you into letting your guard down with motherly attention, only to cut off your thumb when you complain about the space key on your fleamarket typewriter (the movie is good, but  pussies out on a lot of stuff).  It's got the flavor of one of King's crime or mystery stories to me, and I really enjoy his crime stuff (he could have been an excellent crime genre novelist, and still cranks out a decent crime thriller short story every now and then).  The transition Paul Sheldon goes through, from being helpless invalid, to relying on Annie for his very life, to actively trying to extricate himself from a dire situation, is very well-handled.

There are a few others I can read through again, but these are the ones with a permanent space on the bookshelf.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:57:38 PM by Eel_O_Brian »
sup