Author Topic: I bring class to every forum I join :or: IRC is a waste of your young lives.  (Read 5341 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Think of this as an intervention.

I too was drawn in by the allure of IRC. A gathering of like-minded individuals that vaguely share some sort of connection (gaming, pro wrestling, anime, laverne and shirley, etc), but really are just bored and agorophobic to certain degrees. A communion of misery, if you will.

Early 1998, the internet was just shaking off it's AOL-boom hangover and IRC offered you something more than the shitastic chatrooms on MSN, AOL or the like. There was control over the asshole population .. there was collaborations of people with similar interests ... there was automated trivia! Ahhh .. a new age had risen. Sending fake links of goatse was still hilarious and people actually posted messages on Usenet.

At the time, it seemed like a novel way to stay on top of current internet events and still keep the coffee house/bar appeal. Anyone could walk in and pull up a chair ... anyone could rant on whatever they wanted. Freedom of expression .. in real time.

But, in actuality, it was a bunch of miscreants from around the country that were 1) too broke to do anything else 2) too afraid to interact with real people 3) a way for weak-minded people to feel powerful in a virtual world.

Number 3 is the one that always bothered me. It seemed like the ones who seek moderation are the ones who least deserve it. People devoid of personality, so they use authority (or this virtual authority) to create some sort of persona. A way to curry favor with others that had personalities. Cliques.

And that is the shitty irony of it all ... People that were ostracised or made miserable by the cliques of High School ... Carry that burden into their adult lives and then repeat that process in an on-line forum or chat room. How many times have you been in an IRC chatroom and all the "regulars" never even chat? They send IM's to those they want to interact with. Hours and hours of idling in IRC interacting with only those you deem worthy. You truly do become what you hate.

So, do yourself a favor. Delete IRC off of your hard drives. You are wasting your lives. There are 1000 other hobbies that are actually good for your mind and soul. Not chat rooms.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I'm on IRC right now.  Want to chat?
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Oh goody, toxic.
o_0

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
I BRING THE BOOZE

KOOOKALOOOOOLOOOOOLOOOOOOO SHAKE IS IN THE ROOOM VROOOM VROOOM VROOOOM
BKO

MrAngryFace

In all seriousness I was banned from #ga a while ago for challenging someone's ability to read.

Really tho, I never said much in there. Eventually everyone becomes a lurker.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Most people logged into IRC don't chat because they aren't actually at their PCs; i.e. they're out doing something else. I just left it logged in whatever PC I was at because clicking the [X] was one second I coulda spent jerking off or losing badly at Tekken.
duc

• The Walking Dead
#ga is a cesspool
BKO

MrAngryFace

#GA is where you can go to hear about the EGM top ten.
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Ironic I just made a topic about an IRC channel.

:P
萌え~

ToxicAdam

Good idea in creating a new alternate *** forum. One that actually has a sense of sanity and decorum.

No, Wilco, I don't ever want to join a chatroom.  ;)

Really my post is just a stealth troll. I realize that 90% of the people here are probably #GA diehards. Hit  em where it hurts, I always say.

MrAngryFace

Viz: Thats not ironic, just unfortunate :(
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
yeah, banned from #GA too a couple times for no reason by the same person as MAF

apart from that I got totally tired from IRC in like 1999, it's just full of perveted guys trying to get laid or to harass whatever female nickname comes in

IRC transforms perfectly reasonable and kind youths into ignoble tyrants

it really brings the worst out of people, thank God it's dying off
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 11:05:22 PM by Mondain »

• The Walking Dead
Who the fuck is JobCena?  >:(
BKO

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
I see no difference between IRC chatting and a message board such as this. Really not much of a difference when it comes to wasting time.
萌え~

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Who the fuck is JobCena? >:(

A funky Messican
:9

Himu

And what about forums, Toxic? Aren't forums a form of internet chatting? Isn't that kind of hypocritical?
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

Its clear toxic is a fan of Turn-Based chatting as it allows a lot more planning, Real-Time Chatting is just MAKE A BUNCH OF WORDS AND RUSH
o_0

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I chat to everyone, recognizable Icons to new people. I am a genuinely nice person

:)
:9

Himu

Noone really talks to me on irc! Woe is me.
IYKYK

• The Walking Dead
*Searches for DBZ Appreciation Thread*

*Doesn't find it*

YOU'VE LET ME DOWN, HIMO :*(
BKO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
delete this topic
fat

MrAngryFace

Delete yourself!
o_0

Himu

*Doesn't find it*

On GAF?
IYKYK

• The Walking Dead

*Doesn't find it*

On GAF?
We don't speak of such things here.

On EVILBORE.COM, stoopid!  ::)
BKO

• The Walking Dead
No

Don't care

evilbore.com General Discussion
BKO

ToxicAdam

Its clear toxic is a fan of Turn-Based chatting as it allows a lot more planning, Real-Time Chatting is just MAKE A BUNCH OF WORDS AND RUSH

That's actully pretty clever.

turbos

so, wait whats the Evilbore channel #name?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Think of this as an intervention.
I too was drawn in by the allure of IRC. A gathering of like-minded individuals that vaguely share some sort of connection (gaming, pro wrestling, anime, laverne and shirley, etc), but really are just bored and agorophobic to certain degrees. A communion of misery, if you will.
Early 1998, the internet was just shaking off it's AOL-boom hangover and IRC offered you something more than the shitastic chatrooms on MSN, AOL or the like. There was control over the asshole population .. there was collaborations of people with similar interests ... there was automated trivia! Ahhh .. a new age had risen. Sending fake links of goatse was still hilarious and people actually posted messages on Usenet.
At the time, it seemed like a novel way to stay on top of current internet events and still keep the coffee house/bar appeal. Anyone could walk in and pull up a chair ... anyone could rant on whatever they wanted. Freedom of expression .. in real time.
But, in actuality, it was a bunch of miscreants from around the country that were 1) too broke to do anything else 2) too afraid to interact with real people 3) a way for weak-minded people to feel powerful in a virtual world.
Number 3 is the one that always bothered me. It seemed like the ones who seek moderation are the ones who least deserve it. People devoid of personality, so they use authority (or this virtual authority) to create some sort of persona. A way to curry favor with others that had personalities. Cliques.
And that is the shitty irony of it all ... People that were ostracised or made miserable by the cliques of High School ... Carry that burden into their adult lives and then repeat that process in an on-line forum or chat room. How many times have you been in an IRC chatroom and all the "regulars" never even chat? They send IM's to those they want to interact with. Hours and hours of idling in IRC interacting with only those you deem worthy. You truly do become what you hate.
So, do yourself a favor. Delete IRC off of your hard drives. You are wasting your lives. There are 1000 other hobbies that are actually good for your mind and soul. Not chat rooms.
So because we have shame in something we don't have an alpha-personality?  You're so fucking annoying when you try to bait people.

I really only use IRC during E3 (which is now apparently dead).
}Ö{

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
so, wait whats the Evilbore channel #name?

#evilbore
萌え~