Author Topic: Losing your saved game really sucks  (Read 1355 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Losing your saved game really sucks
« on: February 19, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »
I was playing The Warriors last night, im about 2-3 hours into it. I started up the next level then decided I didnt want to play anymore, a cutscene was playing and I went to switch off my console. I flicked the switch at the back of my PS2, as I was doing this I looked at the TV, the screen was black with 'Autosaving' in the bottom left hand corner. Fuck. Corrupted save data!

I want to hear some real horror stories about people losing their Final Fantasy saves on 3rd party memory cards and shit.

Himu

Re: Losing your saved game really sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 05:13:03 PM »
That's why you play it on the xbox. <3

I borrowed my friends gameshark once because i wanted to try the recently revealed final fantasy VII debug room, back in 1999. I saw this word called "format". I didn't know what it meant so I picked it.

I've remembered what the word means ever since.

I had to replay all my games from the beginning.
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »
i lost all 101 ships i'd earned in r-type final from a botched save. :gloomy
duc

Beezy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »
I played through FFIX on an emulator. I got near the end of the game. Changed up some stuff on the emulator that I can't remember so that I could play another game. After that, my FFIX save file no longer worked. Emulators for CD systems suck. :'(

I plan on playing it over again though now that I have a PS2. I love that game. :-[

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
I <3 FFIX

Beezy

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »
I would say its on par with FFVII for engaging characters and story. Zidane and Vivi are awesome

Himu

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:06 PM »
Vivi is the only good character in IX though.

But then...that is true. The only good characters in VII are Yuffie and Red XIII. All the others suck, especially that pussy Cloud.

Give me Squall anyday.

FFVII's cast appealed to me when I was 13, but I hated them as I grew up. I mean, what the fuck Cid? Cid is a fucking WIFE BEATER and he's supposed to be likable? I hate him. Barret is a sterotypical NIGGER who I hate to death. Cait Sith is the WORST character in any FF. Aeris was a fucking slut who only got character development while in Midgar and disappeared the rest of the game. The fegs who cried over her death need balls. Tifa sucks is another slut, who doesn't have the vag to tell Cloud she wants his man meat. Cloud is a pussy who doesn't know who the fuck he is and pretends to be other people who DO have a pair, and finally...yes finally, Sephiroth is a poor excuse for a villian who's really a girl.

"mother...oh mother.."

Get the shit out of here with that bs taco.

Vincent? Who the hell is Vincent. I forgot he EXISTED.

FFIX's cast sucks just as much balls, but then you have Vivi, and he single handedly redeems the game. Not much for what I can say about FFVII, that piece of shit.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 06:14:11 PM »
I was playing Shenmue II and started from the checkpoint before you go up that huge building, defeating dudes floor-by-floor, to the big climatic fight on the rooftop.  Then I made it that segment where he's in that green Chinese countryside with the chick and she leads him to her house.

My power went out.  I never saved.  And the building to countryside house fight was so emotionally exerting that I never played the game again to see how it ends.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »
Willco, that's good and bad. The good is that you got to experience THE YELLOW HEAD BUILDING and kick ass floor by floor and end it with the absolutely EPIC final boss fight. That's what I'm talking about. The bad thing is that you didn't get to see one of the most fucked up and shocking endings ever, but at the same time, you didn't get to experience the weeping afterwards because you knew you cursed to never find out what the fuck happens next.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
I really gotta play Shenmue. Polari was gonna post me his copy but he hasnt hooked me up yet  :'(

Himu

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 06:30:32 PM »
i'm going to go play shenmue II again right now!
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:23:39 AM »
yep, lost a lot of saves because I bought a 3rd party memory card, transfered the saved then formated.  I was an idiot kid. 

ananus

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »
I had a 3rd party ps1 memory card with like 120 blocks and it always worked fine. When I finally got a ps2 i put the memory card in it and lost all my saved data. Had Xenogears, FFVIII (last dungeon, some optional stuff ), FFVII (same as FFVII), FFIX (same as FFVII), FFT (all optional stuff done), some licenses in Gran Turismo 2, Xenogears (all optional stuff done), Street Fighter Alpha 3 (some characters complete on World Tour), Star Ocean 2 (mid game), RE2, and probably a bunch of shit I can't remember right now.

I was busy with my PS2 and didn't replay most of my PS1 games tho, so it wasn't so bad.

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »
I just lost my Lost Planet save.
Had to replay lots of shitty levels. Bummer.
haw

Mana Knight

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
I agree. 

I bought my Sega Saturn kind of late and could not find a backup ram anywhere.  I ended up saving all my games on the internal battery memory.  Unfortunately, it eventually died, so I lost my Albert Odyssey save (beat the game), Shining Wisdom save (almost beat it), NiGHTs into Dreams records, and many more.  I never got around to beating those games again (or getting back to where I was) since I was worried another battery would die again.

I also lost my Wild Arms save once, since I actually saved over it (I was around 15 hours in the game).  I spent my entire weekend trying to get back where I was. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
I lost all my saves on my Turbo Duo - game saves at the end of Ys 1-4, save at the end of Exile, and a 100% clear of Rondo of Blood.
^_^

ananus

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »
I agree. 

I bought my Sega Saturn kind of late and could not find a backup ram anywhere.  I ended up saving all my games on the internal battery memory.  Unfortunately, it eventually died, so I lost my Albert Odyssey save (beat the game), Shining Wisdom save (almost beat it), NiGHTs into Dreams records, and many more.  I never got around to beating those games again (or getting back to where I was) since I was worried another battery would die again.

I also lost my Wild Arms save once, since I actually saved over it (I was around 15 hours in the game).  I spent my entire weekend trying to get back where I was. 

I remember my Saturn was erasing my files at one point too. I asked my father to open it up and see what the deal was and he said some battery was dying or something. Then he replaced it and it worked again.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »
Yeah, the Saturn battery really sucks, I've had 2 die on me already... Luckily they are trivial to replace, but it's definitely best to get a backup cart for the system.
^_^

Prost

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 07:54:14 PM »
One time I had this PS1 memory card that was like the size of 10 memory cards put together.  It was from a different brand, but hell I didn't care, so much space!  Well whenever you want to get 15 more slots, you have to change the page on the card, which takes like a full minute for it to load.  I got up to about 3 pages worth of every PS1 game I owned.  I had 2-3 level 99 saves on FF7, one level 99 save on FF8 with everything, Chrono Cross games... I had 2 games all the way through.  FF9, one end game that I was currently leveling.. gone.

I had probably around 1000 hours of final fantasy tactics on there as well...

Then there were 2 other full card-worths of saves on there.

One day the memory card powered on when the PS powered on... but just displayed these two red zeros.  It wouldn't change...  everything was corrupted.

I didn't really touch my playstation ever again after that ;(
:-þ

Prost

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 07:55:22 PM »
I had a 3rd party ps1 memory card with like 120 blocks and it always worked fine. When I finally got a ps2 i put the memory card in it and lost all my saved data. Had Xenogears, FFVIII (last dungeon, some optional stuff ), FFVII (same as FFVII), FFIX (same as FFVII), FFT (all optional stuff done), some licenses in Gran Turismo 2, Xenogears (all optional stuff done), Street Fighter Alpha 3 (some characters complete on World Tour), Star Ocean 2 (mid game), RE2, and probably a bunch of shit I can't remember right now.

I was busy with my PS2 and didn't replay most of my PS1 games tho, so it wasn't so bad.
what the fuck i was re-reading the thread and i thought i was reading my own post when i read yours....  fucking stupid ass memory card huh?  pissed me the fuck off.
:-þ

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 12:40:01 AM »
didn't ever happen to me, save a few days ago with Panzer Dragoon Saga, yeah the internal Saturn RAM erased the save file when I tried to boot it up the day after-- and I have the expansion RAM cart for it that has save space, but when you boot it with PDS inside it refuses to boot and says to remove it

maybe that's a good thing anyway, only played for like 45 minutes and it looked like a terribly overrated POS, maybe that was special in 1998 to have a free-roaming 3D RPG universe, but now the endless generic FMVs and stupid 3D "point and click" system don't look exciting at all
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:45:05 AM by Mondain »