Author Topic: February is Pain for the Wallet  (Read 2845 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
February is Pain for the Wallet
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
Ouch! That's not even counting March!

o_0

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Re: February is Pain for the Wallet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »
I see no PC games, weakling.

You could at least get on the Supreme Commander train. :(
hex

Mana Knight

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
Tell me about it.  I'm already having a difficult time buying everything I want. :(

Anyway, this is my list

PS2:
Ar Tonelico (bought)
Chulip
Lumines Plus
Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

PS3:
flOw
Formula One CE
Tekken 5 DR
Virtua Fighter 5

PSP:
Gurumin (bought)
M.A.C.H.
Metal Slug Anthology
Monster Kingdom
Ratchet & Clank Size Matters (bought)

DS:
Lunar Knights
Trioncube

GBA
Final Fantasy VI

Xbox 360:
Bullet Witch
DDR Universe
NBA Street Homecourt (I might pick up PS3 version, cannot decide yet)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:39:55 PM by Mana Knight »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:26 PM »
I was never a fan of TA's whole 'mash clouds of enemies together and see what sticks' gameplay. I was one of those DIRTY starcraft players.
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:14:34 PM »
many of these games are sub-par, don't buy them all

frankly, why not get away with a rental for most of them

and why collect these kinds of games when they lose the near totality of their value so fast

MrAngryFace

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
Because I can. Its the American way.

Not like I trust your taste in games anymore MR ANTI DREAMCAST
o_0

Beezy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 04:18:28 PM »
Is that Zuna game for the DS supposed to be good?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
Beezy, it's a dungeon crawler with a fairly sharp wit (for the genre).
duc

Megafoo

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »
I want VF5, but no ps3.

I want Supreme Commander but i'll get pissed if i can't run it in full glory

I want the halo 3 beta but i'm not buying crackdown for 60 bucks when the beta should be open to everybody. it's just stupid to me for them to do that. Ooh play one map of halo 3 over and over again for a couple a months. No thanks, no matter how much i want to actualy do it. my 60 skinnies can go to something more important.

I guess i'll level my mage more...
Rag

MrAngryFace

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
I liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and thats much less of a 'game' than Izuna lol. Im sure ill like Izuna.
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 04:25:42 PM »
I'm sure you will, too -- it has a very Slayers sense of humor, and the drops are far more deep and interesting than PMD's.
duc

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »
I still need to pick up Gurumin (:bow Falcom :bow), and I'm gonna definitely pick up Sonic and the Secret Rings when it comes out. And of course any VC/XBLA games that pique my interest.
^_^

MrAngryFace

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 04:28:22 PM »
I still remember in PMD when I accidently took fruit from the blanket of some pokemon 10 levels down and he flipped and murdered me.

I WAS surprised by how DARK PMD's story got halfway in.
o_0

Beezy

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
I liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and thats much less of a 'game' than Izuna lol. Im sure ill like Izuna.

I lost my Mystery Dungeon cart a week after buying it. I just started getting hooked to it at the time too. :gloomy

So it's basically the same type of game? Can you get other people to join you like how you recruited other pokemon in PMD?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
Gurumin is really good and really polished. It's sort of Ys meets Drill Dozer with a little too much of the nauseating cute, but also strong on dungeon puzzle design.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 04:30:38 PM »
Beezy, it's better, from the sounds of it. You'll pick up kooky sidekicks from time to time.
duc

Mana Knight

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »
Gurumin is really good and really polished. It's sort of Ys meets Drill Dozer with a little too much of the nauseating cute, but also strong on dungeon puzzle design.
I agree.  I find Gurumin to be a pretty good game.  I was badly wanting to import the game, but coming stateside made me wait.  Definitely a lot of fun and finally gives my PSP a solid action RPG I enjoy. 

Beezy

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
Beezy, it's better, from the sounds of it. You'll pick up kooky sidekicks from time to time.

I guess I'll be getting it then. :elephant

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 05:06:41 PM »
I'm going to try to get Lunar Knights and Metal Slug Anthology.  If I have any extra trade-in credit, I'll trade to get Ratchet & Clank.
PSP

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:08:18 PM »
Hey can someone fill me in on what Lunar Knights is? Im looking to pick up an RPG for DS  kthx

MrAngryFace

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 05:08:52 PM »
Lunar Knights is fun but there's a bit of a grind aspect to each dungeon, and IMO the gun dude is totally useless so far. He runs out of energy way too fast at which point he cant do shit. I mostly use him to flip switches, the rest of the time im sword guy.

Trouble is gun dork isnt LEVELING UP cause its too hard to maintain a good killing spree with him :-( I'd go for Ratchet n Clank first. I LIKE Lunar Knights but there's some issues.

Its also not an RPG, its Boktai DS.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »
I might try and grab Final Fantasy VI in Lunar Knights' stead then.
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 05:12:53 PM »
If you liked VI on SNES you'll like the GBA port. Pretty much the same cept for the slight music hit as Drinky has mentioned in other threads.

Lunar Knight is a fun little game, but if your income forces you to be selective id suggest waiting till you can find it used or just cheap.
o_0

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 05:25:07 PM »
So is Lunar Knights some sort of action game? Im not familiar with Boktai...

MrAngryFace

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »
Yeah its sorta action adventure. Basically there are chapters/missions surrounding a story about a world under a cloak of fear spread by VAMPIRES that are fueled or whatever by the basic elements. The sword guy goes around killing them and extracting the element, the gun guy is some new vampire slaying gunslayer that uses a gun charged with SUN POWER to hurt vamps.

There's a lab where you take raw materials you find to get the base weapons and any other weapons you gain upgraded to higher levels. The upgrades thus far are pretty boring stat boosts. You can buy items at the store, most of the equipment you can buy is VERY situation specific meaning you wont buy most of it till you need it.

Half the items used for healing are perishable too which is kinda annoying. Was most of the way through a dungeon when I realized I had a backpack full of rotton fruit.

Anyway the sword guy does thwack twack and has a shield, there are enemy attack patterns to memorize so you know when you can block and when you can attack, when to run, all that. The gun guy has a lock on ability which makes aiming easy but the gun goes through energy stupid fast and there arent that many places to recharge half the time and recharging takes so LONG. It doesnt put the player in danger its just tedious.

So most of the time you'll default to the sword guy (characters can be switched between using select) to do all the fighting but the result is him leveling up a shitload and gun moron leveling up nada cause you use him to shoot switches across gaps all the time. This leads me to the believe that there will be a GUN GUY boss fight where my level 3 gun guy will get murdered and ill be pissed off.

So thats another grind issue I need to get around. Also both characters can fuse with elemental-types and go into superforms which are stupid power. The first two bosses are literally no challenge at all with the fuse forms. There's a rechargable gauge for that too so I mean you could really juse stock up on refills for that gauge before a boss fight and go to town id figure, but we'll see how long that lasts.

The visuals, animation, the cutscenes and music are all really good. Excellent presentation all around. The interface is quirky. You CAN drive it with buttons along but the pacing of the NPC speak will lead button-only people into these loops of script cause they pressed a button too soon. So youre like fuck quit talking so youre pressing the button to speed through but OH SHIT you hit the button again after they stopped and theyre TALKING AGAIN!

In short, its a 'good' game and has some fun action elements, but there's a lot of nagging issues that drag it down into the mud. So far its been a big ol time sink with very little in visible rewards. I mean ive upgraded my sword 5 times and its still not shooting lasers or glowing.
o_0

Mana Knight

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »
I never played Botkai myself (never actually owned a GBA, just played games on the GB Player), but always wanted to.  Lunar Knights looks like a pretty good replacement IMO, since I cannot play it.  Every impression I have heard about Lunar Knights makes me want the game badly.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 05:45:25 PM »
Cheers for the impressions MAF,it sounds pretty tight. Pity about the sword not shooting lasers but you cant win them all. One question: are the dialogue and item descriptions etc. hilarious? Thats what made games like Contact and Baten Kaitos sooooo much better

MrAngryFace

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »
I mean there's a little bit of tongue in cheek humor but not a whole lot. Its from Kojimas crew which tend to be a bit humorless unless there's something really obvious they can play at.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
Is Metal Slug Anthology also on ps2
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 06:01:11 PM »
yes
duc

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »
Is Metal Slug Anthology also on ps2

Supposedly. The release date keeps getting pushed back.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
No! this time it got pushed up. I recall it being set for a march release last I saw then someone told me the PSP version is the 20th!
o_0

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »
No! this time it got pushed up. I recall it being set for a march release last I saw then someone told me the PSP version is the 20th!

The current release date for the PS2 version is now March 13th. Hopefully that sticks.
野球

MrAngryFace

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
maybe only the psp version got moved up. I still say this was some weird thing on Nintendos part to try and sell the gimped Wii versions.
o_0

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 06:36:08 PM »
I'm going to use Feb to catch up on my DS backlog - so I think I'll masterbate to some Castlevania and Kirby games.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 06:49:47 PM »
My stash for Febtober:

Definitely the most accessible game Paradox has made yet. Will be around for years thanks to their mod scene. Played through the 1942-on campaign three times with three different countries and found it a different kind of game each time.

Probably spent as much time with the demo as I did any other game in Feb. outside of NWN2 (great game, finished it last week) and EU3. Really looking forward to partipating in a robot-filled genocidal rampage in all three campaigns, not to mention skirmish and ranked multiplayer so I don't completely get owned by the poopsocker TA players.

Getting it free with Supreme Commander. Looking forward to enjoying the online stuff Tilted Mill has implemented for the game in addition to the campaign stuff that I've always loved from their work back when they were called Impressions.

I also picked up an 8800GTS (I only play at 1280x1024) to replace my seven series, which is in turn going to power my fiance's box-she's getting some chop in some of the TBC zones and asked for an upgrade over her 7600GT and some more RAM. Glad to see that Vista WHQL drivers for the G80s are finally available.

Next month looks to be a bit more hopping-Titan Quest expansion, IL-2 1946 stateside release, and I'll dig up Jade Empire SE for the PC when I can get it for cheaps. STALKER and C&C3 close out the month.
hex

MrAngryFace

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 07:37:33 PM »
C&C3 Im definately getting :-D
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
I love my 8800GTX. If I can bribe my wife to sign off on a second, I'm going SLI, baby!
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »
Where is the pain? The only game worth getting on that list is Lunar Knights.
fat

Himu

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 08:49:58 PM »
No games for me. I am saving up for a 360 to completely Wii60.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
So anyway, more on lunar knights.

"The first boss you face with both characters is actually KINDA hard cause there are two bosses and two characters and there's a lot of swapping. Took me three tries cause the boss has a second far more powerful form. Dashing is KEY in this game.

Also after each boss fight is a space shooter segment where you use the stylus to shoot and move your ship. These segments are pretty tough since you cant shoot and move at the some time :( The good news is as you collect powers, your ship can use those powers for different shop types. The second shooter boss was short work because of this.

Im in chapter 4 right now, the past two hours ive had more time to muck with the fusion and terrenial powers and my opinion went up a bit, there's a bit more variety than I had thought, but still, this is a game people will click with or not. Buy when its 20!
o_0

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:29 AM »
February was going to be a no-games month, but my wife just got her year end bonus. Suffice to say it was a whole hell of a lot, so we've decided to have a little bit of fun before putting the rest towards buying a house. She's going to buy a nice Coach bag and I'm getting a PS3.

So tomorrow, I'll be buying a 20 GB PS3. I bought used copies of Resistance and Genji off Half.com, and I just preordered Gundam Musou at YesAsia.

Good times, good times. Although, it's sick knowing that her bonus is 2/3 what I make in a year.
野球

Christopher

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2007, 03:18:52 AM »
February was going to be a no-games month, but my wife just got her year end bonus. Suffice to say it was a whole hell of a lot, so we've decided to have a little bit of fun before putting the rest towards buying a house. She's going to buy a nice Coach bag and I'm getting a PS3.

So tomorrow, I'll be buying a 20 GB PS3. I bought used copies of Resistance and Genji off Half.com, and I just preordered Gundam Musou at YesAsia.

Good times, good times. Although, it's sick knowing that her bonus is 2/3 what I make in a year.

Awesome distant - add me to your PSN! 

:lol geeze girls and their bags

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 03:20:10 AM »

!!!!!!

Be sure to post your Gundam Musou impressions!
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 03:25:45 AM »
Haha, cloudwalking works at Coach.  COSMIC.
PSP

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 03:31:53 AM »
:lol geeze girls and their bags

She has lots of bags/purses, but she doesn't own a nice one. She doesn't like spending money, but seeing how we're getting a $4,300 tax refund and she just got a $28,000 bonus, she felt that spending $500 was justified. And she said I could get a PS3 as a gift for having to put up with her crazy self on a daily basis.

$28,000 bonus? Who the hell gets a $28,000 bonus?!? I'm not complaining, I'm really proud of her, but I only make $42,000 a year! It's sick how much money there is in the corporate sector, while I'm stuck being a public servant in the education field (school psychologist). Oh well, I love my job and have no problem making less than her. It weirds out some of our friends, but we're both cool with it, which is what matters.
野球

Christopher

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 03:33:25 AM »
....a 28,000 BONUS...the fuck?

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 03:33:58 AM »

Yup, and her base salary is $60,000. She also just got a 5.5% raise.

I guess you could say that I've gots me a sugar mama!
野球

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2007, 10:34:49 AM »

Yup, and her base salary is $60,000. She also just got a 5.5% raise.

I guess you could say that I've gots me a sugar mama!

So...you're like, her boy toy?  :D
PS4

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
tell me about it.  i've already spent over $170... on 3 FUCKING GAMES.

crackdown, sonic wii, and vf5.  argh.
pyh

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2007, 01:08:48 PM »
ARGH MY WALLET

CHILDREN OF MANA ON SALE FOR $15 AT AMAZON

ARGH, I DONT THINK I CAN TAKE ALL OF IT

lol
fat