Author Topic: Every time I try and play Vagrant Story I just give up  (Read 2261 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Every time I try and play Vagrant Story I just give up
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:41 PM »
Because it's so, what is the word... convoluted? There are so many menus. So many graphs. So many buttons. Cumbersome. Cum, lol.

Parasite Eve did it better, nice and simple. Blam blam blam. This game is like, ok hit the X button when the ! appears. Now do it again, except don't use the X button. These battle abilities are distinguished mentally-challenged too. Oh shit, the enemy is casting a magic spell, now what button did I set for deflecting magic back? O? Triangle? Fuck, too late.

Then you got all these weapons to swap out, oops gotta go in the menu to do that, even though there are SHORTCUTS for use.

Fuck man it's got this sweet setup and the graphics and layout is nice, but the MENUS.

Holla if you hear me. But it's like really small on my PSP so I can't really complain. Except I can, because the game makes me bored.
fat

Himu

Re: Every time I try and play Vagrant Story I just give up
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
I love VS, and even I admit that it's got convoluted as hell gameplay. The weapon synthesis in particular is pretty shit.
IYKYK

Prost

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:02:09 AM »
I couldn't ever stand playing the game.  Every aspect of it would bore the absolute hell out of me.  I don't know why I hated it so much either... I just thought it was a crap game.... then I saw reviews...
:-þ

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:44:57 AM »
I love it how all the dudes wear fucked up shit and the music is by Hitoshi Sakamoto

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 05:25:53 AM »
that's because this game isn't made for people with the IQ of forrest gump. go play some spongebob.
UNF

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »
The first time I tried VS I didn't realize you needed to keep several different weapons around just because of monster types, and I ended up fighting a dragon boss for an hour or so dealing a steady 2 points of damage to him. I gave up shortly after that... maybe I'll get back to it in due time but it's definitely needlessly complicated. Although it is defnitely one of the best looking PS1 games, with some of the most impressive cinematography on the system.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
that's because this game isn't made for people with the IQ of forrest gump. go play some spongebob.

Doesn't your mom solicit old men over the internet?
fat

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
The first time I tried VS I didn't realize you needed to keep several different weapons around just because of monster types, and I ended up fighting a dragon boss for an hour or so dealing a steady 2 points of damage to him. I gave up shortly after that... maybe I'll get back to it in due time but it's definitely needlessly complicated. Although it is defnitely one of the best looking PS1 games, with some of the most impressive cinematography on the system.

This is critical.

Anyway, it's convoluted in menu system, but I think the gameplay itself is pretty self explanatory. Yes, the catch-all menu when you press triangle is a bitch, but otherwise it is relatively straightforward. You map certain chain commands to certain buttons...you do have to REMEMBER those chain commands, but that's really part of the combat system.

The weapon synthesis is some of the most fun you can have in the game.
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Hey Jonny, nice you see you here.
fat

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »
The "hitting boss for 1HP" thing happens to me every time I try to play it too, so I gave up.
I loved the intro, and the whole atmosphere of the game though.

The intro looks amazing. The scene with the bosses at the table is so atmospheric that it actually looks better than a lot of PS2 stuff.
haw

Prost

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »
Actually a kid who truly was mentally challenged at school introduced it to me, so I felt sorta bad and said he could show me the game, and I couldn't have been more bored when I played it.  He loved it and had already beaten it.

I guess it's pretty ironic for you to have said that...
:-þ

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
Same thing happened to me when I bought it last June. It's too bad, because it looks like it'd be awesome.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:11:36 AM by Ichi »
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »
I think it's a good thing he's not at Square any more. Maybe he'll be able to make something good without some idiot pissing all over it with their piss-stained Square Enix piss flaps. I would have loved to have seen how FFXII turned out with 100% Matsuno instead of some other jerk-off finishing it off.

I'd like to know how much of the finished FFXII is actually Matsuno's work and how much is Square.  I'm especially curious to know if Square screwed around with Matsuno's storyline in any way.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 01:19:19 AM »
It's too bad Matsuno's no longer at Square since it would be nice to see some sort of sequel to this with more streamlined menus and stuff.

I think it's a good thing he's not at Square any more. Maybe he'll be able to make something good without some idiot pissing all over it with their piss-stained Square Enix piss flaps. I would have loved to have seen how FFXII turned out with 100% Matsuno instead of some other jerk-off finishing it off.

But it seems that Matsuno did all of the story, and that most of the gameplay ideas came from him.

If anything, FFXII's quality had to do with Matsuno not being used to developing such a large game before. When you think about it, I think that's apart of the reason FFXII's plot takes so much time to get some ground and feels filler.

I find Matsuno is just as much to blame for FFXII's quality as Square. Square knows how to make rpgs. It took them 4 or so years to make the game and yet it was a lower quality than all the other 3d FF's (imo), and far below FFVI and FFIV. Why is that? They can do much better, especially with all the time it took them to make the game.
IYKYK

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 02:12:22 AM »
Actually a kid who truly was mentally challenged at school introduced it to me, so I felt sorta bad and said he could show me the game, and I couldn't have been more bored when I played it.  He loved it and had already beaten it.

I guess it's pretty ironic for you to have said that...

:gun
UNF

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 02:19:20 AM »
I think the Ogre Battle series is huge enough to discount your filler theory, Himuro. IMO, of course.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:38 AM »
I haven't played much of Ogre battle, only Tactics Ogre, FFT, VS, and FFXII. However, TO and FFT were srpgs. Most of your time is in battle and that's it. They have higher than average clock time, but that's because the battles last longer than normal rpg battles.VS is a really short game. In all cases, he has a small amount of story to put in there because they're not that demanding. I think that FFXII may have been too demanding for the guy, hence his breakdown: he wasn't used to a game that size.

How long is OB?
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 02:30:36 AM »
I haven't played much of Ogre battle, only Tactics Ogre, FFT, VS, and FFXII. However, TO and FFT were srpgs. Most of your time is in battle and that's it. They have higher than average clock time, but that's because the battles last longer than normal rpg battles.VS is a really short game. In all cases, he has a small amount of story to put in there because they're not that demanding. I think that FFXII may have been too demanding for the guy, hence his breakdown: he wasn't used to a game that size.

How long is OB?

The OB games are pretty huge/complex on political content in terms of the stories...especially how they all connect to each other.  It's been a while since I played OB - it's, like...40 plus hours?
PS4

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 02:37:14 AM »
I really wanted to like the game for its presentation, but the gameplay really held it back. This is how I feel about most Japanese RPG's though. (See SMT)
}Ö{

Himu

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 02:47:34 AM »

How long is OB?

The OB games are pretty huge/complex on political content in terms of the stories...especially how they all connect to each other.  It's been a while since I played OB - it's, like...40 plus hours?

but wasn't it like to and fft where majority of time is spent in battle? I haven't played much of OB so I'm not sure if it's traditional rpg pacing or srpg pacing.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 02:50:39 AM »
but wasn't it like to and fft where majority of time is spent in battle? I haven't played much of OB so I'm not sure if it's traditional rpg pacing or srpg pacing.

Yeah, but the story is deep (like the Xenogears ocean).  And the world Matsuno created is very massive and complex...I dunno, I really just want to know what in FFXII is Matsuno's work and what was changed/added after he left.

Man, I'm really bored right now...still one more hour before I can get off work!
PS4