Author Topic: Why does Burnout Revenge look exponentially better than every Wii game?  (Read 1438 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Is the PS2 more powerful than the Wii? Sure seems so!
duc

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Why does Burnout Revenge look exponentially better than every Wii game?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:27:25 AM »
How big is PS2's framebuffer?
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:28:52 AM »
4 MB VRAM! That's 1 extra MB over the WII!
duc

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:16 AM »
</ifallwiigameslooklikeresidentevil4wellthatsgoodenoughformelol>
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:26:26 AM »

It's true.
IYKYK

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:23:59 AM »
:lol
haw

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:33:04 AM »
All visuals after the Wii are completely overkill. Graphics need to stop at Wii, Nintendo pressed the random Grafix stop button at precisely the right moment. YEEEH:AWWWWW
:9

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »
Wii visual apologists fall into the following categories:

a) The aforementioned Resident Evil 4 was so good visually on weaker GameCube hardware that all other game could look as good and I'd be satisfied.

b) The Wiimote is so innovative and awesome that developers spend their time programming for it and not for visuals, so we should appreciate the innovative awesomeness.

c) Super Mario Galaxy looks good, so developers are just being lazy and we will have the last laugh when they're forced toreally develop for Wii due to its large user base.
PSP

y2kev

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
I don't know, I usually don't give a shit about this, but WOW is it surprising going from PS360 to Wii now.

I mean, play VF5 or Crackdown or Gears and then pop in Elebits.

I have no problem going back, but damn if that jump isn't going to become IMMENSE over the span of five years.
haw

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
bobobobobobo matt cassmassassassasssa said wii games will AMAZE us in the next year
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »
I do contend that the remote definitely does make some games immersive and the controls feel intuitive, but that's for the Nintendo titles I've played.  They made the same mistake with the GC, in modeling their controlling for first-party titles (Zelda! Mario!) and not really anyone else. 

That said, I really did enjoy the Metroid Prime 3 demo (a lot!), and I'm not the biggest fan of the first two.  And the system is capable of pumping out better visuals, but it's foolish to think it'll ever match the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

I think this is the first time that the company line of marketing their system to another demographic, which is often a convenient excuse to explain lower sales of a product against the competition, is actually true.  Nintendo has pretty much marketed the Wii out of the videogame industry.  It's like a toy and it has caught on with the mainstream, but it's more like a karoke machine than a videogame console in terms of use and enjoyment.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 01:21:40 PM »
i don't see a certain percentage of the mainstream audience ever buying another game since it came packed with what they wanted: wii sports. wii play and wii sports too might bring 'em out to double-dip, but the titles preferred by core gamers? not a chance.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean in terms of my karoke comparison.  The games will be like expansion paks to a lot of people, like purchasing extra CDs for their karoke machine.

The flip side to this is that it's probably going to sell considerably more units than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3 for awhile, but its shelf life will be considerably smaller.  I can't see the sales keeping up like this for more than two years due to the nature of the product - it's not for gamers.
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 02:25:58 PM »
I'm quite content with my Wii and 360 combo.  I play my 360 tons more, yeah, but I'm pretty confident the Wii will get somes games I'll enjoy later on.  I'm pretty excited for Blur next week.
püp

y2kev

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »
I'm quite content with my Wii and 360 combo.  I play my 360 tons more, yeah, but I'm pretty confident the Wii will get somes games I'll enjoy later on.  I'm pretty excited for Blur next week.

Really? I just don't get the hype for that game. It feels like a Greatest Hits CD with like 20% new material, or HIStory or something else.
haw

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
I don't think there's anything coming out worthwhile for the Wii 'till Super Paper Mario, which should have been a GameCube release.  Drinky really hit the nail on the head; it's not a console for gamers.  I'm not even think it should qualify as a game console.  If so, then GamePro should start reviewing those $20 joystick compilations that you hook up to your TV to play Midway's Greatest Hits or Golden Tee.
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 02:35:48 PM »

Really? I just don't get the hype for that game. It feels like a Greatest Hits CD with like 20% new material, or HIStory or something else.

Well, I've never played an SSX game before until last week with Tricky, so that's why I'm looking forward to it  I think it looks fun. *shrugs*

As for whether or not the Wii's a "gaming console"...eh.  I think the hate it gets is unwarranted and there's some games that are pretty fun on it, as well as more coming.  We'll see more games actually use the remote in better ways, but until that happens I guess I can understand the skepticism.  Virtual Console is pretty rad.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 02:39:45 PM »
Again, there are plenty of other toys that let you play old games.  If playing old games on your TV qualifies a system as a console, then those $20 joystick compilations are consoles too.

I don't think either Drinky or myself are hatin' on the Wii (well, maybe Drinky), but it's really not a game console.  Its actual game outlook looks as exciting as those karoke machine expansion paks ("Whoa, finally an 80s compilation that includes 'Thriller', with all new TV backgrounds!").  And I think Drinky is right that a lot of people will buy or have bought it for Wii Sports, so that their adult friends can get drunk and play it at Super Bowl parties and other household events.  It really does appeal to that crowd.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:46 PM »
I think it was Shane in the current 1up Yours podcast that stated that theres a huge disparity going back between the 360/PS3 and Wii. Its obvious, the graphical differences but I believe he said something along the lines like it feels going back 5 years when playing the Wii (Gamecube total).

I'm contempt with my 360 for now...PS3 when Hot Shots comes :hyper

I've personally put more time in my PS2 and PSP than any other system at the moment.
:9

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 11:58:58 PM »
The comparison to a karaoke machine is harsh, but apt, I think...I do think the Wii will be a very successful product, though, even if it's not the type of console the 360 or the PS3 are.  My biggest worry is that developers will gimp the graphics on PS3 and 360 stuff so they can be multiplatform releases including the Wii, thus making the least amount of effort to cover all three machines.
PS4

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 12:30:02 AM »
Holy shit I want No More Heroes to come out like right now