Author Topic: Playstation 3: Why The Hate?  (Read 1790 times)

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
Playstation 3: Why The Hate?
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
Please explain to me what is with all the hate on the new Sony machine?  Bitter nintendo fanboys who can't afford it?  Overpriced and not worth it?  Graphics aren't living up to expectations?  A combo of the three? I NEED TO KNOW

Currently I have about 720 saved up for PS3 and said accessorys ...well my brother has most of the money but we pooled it together, and all this hate makes me cry on the inside.

:(

:( :'(

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: Playstation 3: Why The Hate?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
1. PRICE.

2. LOAD TIMES. Blu-Ray is slow as fuck.

3. 256 MB RAM for the working set.

4. WAGGLE, and subpar waggle at that.

5. HUGE and ugly.

6. SUB-360 PERFORMANCE. 3 unusable SPEs, downclock, bargain-bin GPU.

Not gonna pay $600 for that. As the PSP and PS2's biggest fan, that says it all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:57:34 PM by Drinky Crow »
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »
600 dollars.
"we have bluray"
"do I NEED bluray?"
"WE need bluray :("
"I see..."

Games: 70 dollars?
"Ah so this bluray, hows the access speed?"
"Slow, but it has blue storage cases, and can hold a lot of data"
"that it accesses slowly..."
"yeah..."
"huh"

What games are coming out?
"FEAR!"
"I have that"
"Motorstorm!"
"Is there one GOOD real-time screen of that?"
"no..."
"I know umm Warhawk"
"SONY! YOURE BREAKING MY HEAAAAAART!!!!!!"
o_0

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »
I don't like having a new format thrusted on me when i buy a games console unless it is of benfit to me.
P90

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:31 PM »
It's just the price.
I mean, outside of rabid fanboyism. 

The player, I can handle, but. . .if games really are $100. . .well, fuck you playstation. 
omg

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »
The bang for the buck is ridiculous.  You could build a nice PC for $100 more and get a lot more out of it.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »
The bang for the buck is ridiculous.  You could build a nice PC for $100 more and get a lot more out of it.
Aren't you missing a zero?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:12:35 PM »
No.  You can setup a decent gaming rig for $700 if you're a cheap-o like me.  And plus, the games don't suck!  Hell, my friend just built his top-of-the-line CONROED for 1k.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »
There are many things that annoy me about the PS3. First off, I'm tired of the arrogance of Sony and the stupidity of their fans. The PS3 has yet to prove that it's capible of doing anything the Xbox 360 can't, yet we are to believe that the PS3 is leaps and bounds stronger. Have people forgotten E3 that fast? I'm not paying $600 for Genji 2 or any of the other rose covered shit the PS3 offers.

Kojima even stated MGS4 is totally doable on the Xbox 360, yet if someone said that on GAF they'd get banned. That brings me to the fanboys. They seem to think that the Playstation brand is going to overturn everything and sell 100 million units. Bullshit.

By the time MGS4, FFXIII, and the other PS3 gems come out there will be 360 games that look exactly the same. We won't see true differences until 2009 imho. And by then it won't be $600.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 01:40:48 PM »
It is the price.

It's a shame too, because Sony has done so well until now. But now they either 1) want to abuse their fanbase to buoy the companies profits 2) become the "higher end" game machine.

The writing was on the wall with the PSP. They want to push this image (like they have with televisions) that their product is somehow ABOVE their competition, so you should expect to pay more.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 01:43:27 PM »
It is the price.

It's a shame too, because Sony has done so well until now. But now they either 1) want to abuse their fanbase to buoy the companies profits 2) become the "higher end" game machine.

The writing was on the wall with the PSP. They want to push this image (like they have with televisions) that their product is somehow ABOVE their competition, so you should expect to pay more.

Agreed.

There is no denying that the hardware is "worth" $600 in a sense. But is the software? Absolutely not. We don't even know what games will be at launch - is Heavenly Sword still a 2007 release, or is it 2006 now? How many games will use the half assed waggle tech? Is the online funtion going to be a half assed XBL clone? "But oh it's free lolz!" Well, so if Nintendo WiFi.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
Id think proven technology with a dominant marketshare is 'worth' 600 dollars, but bluray just hasnt proven itself for shit. After UMD im not ready to let Sony introduce me to new mediums.

P.S.: I love my PSP shaddup
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »
Id think proven technology with a dominant marketshare is 'worth' 600 dollars, but bluray just hasnt proven itself for shit. After UMD im not ready to let Sony introduce me to new mediums.

P.S.: I love my PSP shaddup

UMD :lol

If I wasn't banned I'd look up some of those old "UMD is the future!" threads.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
Games are going to be 59.99$.

The hate is hard to understand. There's always hordes of fanboys looking for excitement and to belong in a group that acquire the early system and bash the upcoming, established giant in order to look cool and irreverent and justify their purchase.

It's simply the price of R&D and the importance of consoles in gaming that's continually on the rise. However in prorata, the price ratio of the Dreamcast vs. the PlayStation 2 is the same.

People were excited like crazy too in the Dreamcast day, it's the same thing we're seeing now, only three times bigger and more chaotic since the Internet has far more newbies. I remember reading and posting in Dreamcast threads all day long, and reading tons of fanboys who were sure that Sega would totally stomp Sony. Although Microsoft has endless financial backing, good publisher support and the means to furnish continuous streams of solid software, so far it sounds like another Dreamcast with half the soul Sega had and twice the amount of generic and redundant games, even if the games are going to sell more.

But most folks are waiting for the next PlayStation, just like in the Dreamcast days. I had a launch Dreamcast and simply studied what happened, and the frenzy of the early birds was delusional.

Even if Blu-Ray is a tad slower than a 12x DVD-ROM drive, the caching on HDD helps to counter that. It's infinitely quieter in comparison to the Xbox 360 drive that's as loud and annoying as an hair dryer. How do people enjoy long RPGs with that shit I don't understand.

Just like in the Dreamcast days, people are excited as hell with uber-sleek next-gen graphics, and this time we have HD which impresses even more. This is however just short-sighted, delusional speculation. The Xbox 360 was the first, however in the end I deem that the dust will settle in, and am foreseeing a brutal domination of the PS3 kinda like we saw this gen. At this point, MS hasn't met any of its sales objectives, and the Xbox 360 sells worse than the original Xbox did in the same timeframe, and they lack exclusive killer apps from established franchises.

Lastly, the thing that puzzles me the most is the folks raging against Blu-Ray. It's just an easy target for trolls lacking inspiration IMO. It's good to have lots of space to store game data and high-def video for games. Most of all, finally we're going to head into the HD video era and leave those old SDTV sets behind, it was 'bout friggin' time. I'm very happy that Sony went ahead with the democratisation of HD video, the PS3 will help it and they're just trying to bank on that... so what? Any business would do it if the opportunity was palpable.

It includes more and Sony aims for the long run, a strategy that paid last gen, and IMO will pay just as well this gen too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:22:34 PM by Mondain »

Solo

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 02:37:52 PM »
It's that damned Spider-Man font!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 03:19:36 PM »
It's that damned Spider-Man font!

It's the only GOOD thing it has going for it!
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
I dont even like 60 dollars, its kept me from buying a lot of 360 games, tell ya that much.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:28:58 PM »
New games are too expensive, portables ftw.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 03:31:30 PM »
I rage against Blu-Ray because it's a shitty spec and I don't want INCREASED LOAD TIMES.
duc

Diablos

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
I really hate the $500-600 pricetag.

However -- and someone can correct me if I'm wrong -- PS3 does excellent upscaling according to Phil Harrison, and unless you want to watch a lot of BR-ROM movies in 1080p, a quality component cable that's not super long will look amazing on HDTV. And very comparable, if not damn near identical to HDMI. So, I could get the $500 PS3. And you can buy your own Wireless stuff, and a USB memory stick reader for like $10. You can put any hard drive in it, so just wait for a good deal on newegg and get a 100GB drive later on or something. I don't even know when the hell I'll be able to afford a tv with HDMI, so I might as well go with the tard pack.

Drinky, I agree with you about the transfer rates of BR-ROM, but why not just set up a data stream from the disc to memory/hdd while you're playing? Not like I'm a dev and know how that actually works (because I don't), but something tells me if you allow just a few seconds for loading, and start streaming data that will be needed later while you're already playing... it should work. There is a hard drive to take advantage of, remember. And it's standard, unlike the 360... so all devs CAN and likely will use it as a cache.

Look at Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. It takes forever to load levels because there is so much data for its DVD-ROM to load. But once a lot of it is loaded, there's like no noticable waiting at all, everything is super fast.

That said, I wish Sony would have stopped being so damn lame about competing for a superior next-gen optical format. HD-DVD is cheaper. Sony should have just jumped on board and used it for PS3. It offers enough capacity, and in PS3, could be just as expensive as Blu-Ray but with considerably faster transfer rates. Or only slightly faster than Blu-Ray but a lot less money.

Also, care to ellaborate on what's so bad with having 256MB of XDRAM? Cell also seems like a really powerful architecture that, if properly taken advantage of, can yield really impressive results that could benefit the PS3 in the second or third gen of games, when devs really figure everything out.