Author Topic: Dystopia is the best thing to happen to HL since CS and WARCOCK  (Read 528 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Dystopia is the best thing to happen to HL since CS and WARCOCK
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »

It's basically Shadowrun FPS, even moreso than the 360 game.  You can hack computers and go into a Lawnmower Man/Shadowrun RPG-esque cyberspace (see screenshots) in order to meet objectives and hack guard turrets to your own needs.

There are a number of different implants to pick from when you start a game.  Some let you hack computers, some make you jump heigher, some heighten agility, thermoptic vision, dampening sound, lowering your heat signature, healing. . .lots of different character build options.  Characters come in small, medium, and large with each size having its own advantages.  There are a number of weapons, from the fairly typical to the neat, like the tesla rifle.

The game is objective based.  Each team has 3 objects (or sometimes 4).  One team is usually assaulting and has to take over and hack certain targets, while the other team has to protect the same targets and attempt to win back targets that the assault team has captured.   The design on the 3 maps we played on was generally pretty tight.  There appear to be 9t o 112 maps, which is not bad at all for a 1.0 release.

What with all the weapons, implants, and character types, you'd think the game would be a balance nightmare, but it doesn't feel like any 1 build dominates.  A good team needs a good balance of people that can hack, people that can heal, and big ol' tanks that can draw turret fire.  Due to how powerful turrets are, teamwork is pretty much a must.

Overall, this game is really fucking solid.  The 1.0 release is great, and I really hope this game takes off.  It is awesome!
serge

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
Re: Dystopia is the best thing to happen to HL since CS and WARCOCK
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 07:51:12 PM »
I just did my own little writeup in my thread, glad you like it.
萌え~