Author Topic: Garou Mark of the Wolves is just too good  (Read 3881 times)

Mondain

• no bias
Garou Mark of the Wolves is just too good
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »

Certain games aren't worth a dollar, while others could be sold to you for a few hundreds and still be very well worth it. This is one of those gems.

The absolute pinnacle of 2D fighting, and arguably the best game that the resilient jurassic Neo-Geo platform ever had. Even if it gets stale after a few dozen hours, Garou never gets boring no matter how much time you invest into it. It's becoming my most-played title of all time.

You have a variety of characters that beat the living hell out of those found in Street Fighter 3, and the fights are fast, entertaining, and everything moves smoothly. Good music, great sprites even considering that it's a game made on a system with 1989 technology, accessible to newbies while having a combo sytem deep enough for the true fighting games ninjas... the list goes on and on...

This is really worth buying, you won't regret. Only available through import, though. No need to hunt down bulky Neo-Geo carts for a couple hundred bucks. Recently I played the Neo-Geo version with a friend and the game is identical, save for the better menus it has and the music. The music has slightly different MIDI instruments than those found in the original Neo version, but it's nothing too different very fortunately.

I rule with Hotaru. :P

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Garou Mark of the Wolves is just too good
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »
I agree, one of the best 2D fighters made. I had the Dreamcast version when it came out but it would put my machine through such pains since they decided streaming every voice sample reduced loading times. LAZY way of doing it but oh well. I was a big Jae Hoon fan myself. The game was pretty balanced tho so there weren't too many uber cheese characters save the last boss.
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Here's hoping that Garou 2 rumor is true...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »
A Garou love thread?  I'll drink to that!
The absolute pinnacle of 2D fighting, and arguably the best game that the resilient jurassic Neo-Geo platform ever had. Even if it gets stale after a few dozen hours, Garou never gets boring no matter how much time you invest into it. It's becoming my most-played title of all time.

I could argue that point, but it really doesn't matter, since when it all boils down to it, Garou is certainly at the top of the list with some other games, but I still have a preference for KOF '98 as the best fighter on the Neo-Geo.  That's just me though, I know.   :P

You have a variety of characters that beat the living hell out of those found in Street Fighter 3, and the fights are fast, entertaining, and everything moves smoothly. Good music, great sprites even considering that it's a game made on a system with 1989 technology, accessible to newbies while having a combo sytem deep enough for the true fighting games ninjas... the list goes on and on...

Agreed, although Street Fighter III's music (in all three versions) spanks Garou's themes.  I really like Terry, Rock, and The Griffon's BGMs though.  Back in 2000, one thing Neo players used to always say about Garou versus SF3 was that it took Capcom three tries to get it right ("Strike Three!"), and it only took SNK one release.   :D

No need to hunt down bulky Neo-Geo carts for a couple hundred bucks. Recently I played the Neo-Geo version with a friend and the game is identical, save for the better menus it has and the music. The music has slightly different MIDI instruments than those found in the original Neo version, but it's nothing too different very fortunately.

Not too big on that "arranged" music (it's the same as the DC version), but fortunately the Neo-Geo BGMs are a selectable option, so it's all good!

I rule with Hotaru. :P

If you're a big Hotaru fan, you'll go nuts for her in Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum and KOF XI, then.  They made her even better, and gave her new stance changes similar to Ling Xiaoyu's in Tekken.   :)

Now I don't mean to derail this thread, but if you haven't already, you absolutely MUST check out The King Of Fighters XI on the PS2!  It's easily the best KOF since '98, and more over the best fighting game to come out from SNK Playmore.  It's THAT good.  There's also a number of Garou characters present, in addition to older Fatal Fury character who have been brought back. 

I made a thread on the game on GAF, and also posted these pics on Neo-Geo.com...you can read impressions here if you don't want to search; the GAF thread got pretty big though!  http://fhgforum.free-forums.org/fhgforum-about89.html

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden is also quite awesome, as is Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, although the latter suffers from some long loading issues.  If you want more Garou action, KOF Maximum Impact 2, coming out Stateside as "KOF 2006," has B. Jenet added in addition to Rock and Wild Wolf (Garou Terry), plus a new parry system (more like Last Blade though).
ど助平

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »
Heh, thanks for this good post. Feel free to post whatever kind of gaming info you'd like btw, I'm not uptight about this and don't mind at all if things get derailed. :P

Agreed, although Street Fighter III's music (in all three versions) spanks Garou's themes.  I really like Terry, Rock, and The Griffon's BGMs though.  Back in 2000, one thing Neo players used to always say about Garou versus SF3 was that it took Capcom three tries to get it right ("Strike Three!"), and it only took SNK one release.

honestly I didn't really like Street Fighter 3's music (I'm referring to the "Third Strike" version here), while not bad in itself, it felt very corny and not memorable or epic at all... the whole game felt really corny and weird too though

Not too big on that "arranged" music (it's the same as the DC version), but fortunately the Neo-Geo BGMs are a selectable option, so it's all good!

Ah that's cool thanks I didn't know that at all. :)

Now I don't mean to derail this thread, but if you haven't already, you absolutely MUST check out The King Of Fighters XI on the PS2!  It's easily the best KOF since '98, and more over the best fighting game to come out from SNK Playmore.  It's THAT good.  There's also a number of Garou characters present, in addition to older Fatal Fury character who have been brought back.

well thanks of your concern, I had read your GAF thread... I already have this game though, and yes it is excellent, probably my favorite game of 2006 so far, although I'm sure that either Zelda or Final Fantasy XII will outshine it in the end :)

i did try Neo Geo Battle Coliseum too, and you're right she does look like Ling Xiaoyu... I found it entertaining, however it didn't hold my interest for very long honestly... and then of course there's the interminable load times, although I know they're far less worse in some mode that I forgot...

I didn't like the first King of Fighters Maximum Impact, so I don't think I'll get the 2006 version. I'll wait until SNK releases a next-gen version on a console like Xbox 360 or PS3. Those 3D fighters just don't feel allright, although the gameplay is decent.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 10:32:07 PM by Mondain »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:18:57 PM »
honestly I didn't really like Street Fighter 3's music (I'm referring to the "Third Strike" version here), while not bad in itself, it felt very corny and not memorable or epic at all... the whole game felt really corny and weird too though

I place all three SF3 games' soundtracks in my top 10 best game soundtracks ever.  Lots of great tunes IMO; one of the few games with a soundtrack I actually listen to.

well thanks of your concern, I had read your GAF thread... I already have this game though, and yes it is excellent, probably my favorite game of 2006 so far, although I'm sure that either Zelda or Final Fantasy XII will outshine it in the end :)

Ah, okay, carry on then, my work is done here!   :lol

i did try Neo Geo Battle Coliseum too, and you're right she does look like Ling Xiaoyu... I found it entertaining, however it didn't hold my interest for very long honestly... and then of course there's the interminable load times, although I know they're far less worse in some mode that I forgot...

Yeah, the load times are incredibly short (like 3-5 seconds) in the survival/challenge mode.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  But seeing as how a large number of the characters are in KOF XI, and KOF XI plays better, AND KOF XI has three-on-three tag instead of two-on-two, AND KOF XI has shorter load times than even the arcade version, yeah, there's not too much of a reason to go back to NGBC, other than those few exclusive characters.  That said, the game still is very good and I'd play it a lot more if the load times were better; SS Tenka and KOF XI have spoiled me I guess.

I didn't like the first King of Fighters Maximum Impact, so I don't think I'll get the 2006 version. I'll wait until SNK releases a next-gen version on a console like Xbox 360 or PS3. Those 3D fighters just don't feel allright, although the gameplay is decent.

MI2, is much, much, MUCH better than the original!  They fixed a lot of the problems that plagued MI, plus the new parry system adds a lot more depth.  It's also got a HUGE single player mode and a ton of fan service, with outfits and BGMs from a host of different games, some not even from SNK.  I've seen outfits that are clearly from Gundam, Urusei Yatsura, Evangelion, Guilty Gear, and Street Fighter.

Here's the post I made on the game:

------------------------------------------------------         
---The King Of Fighters Maximum Impact 2---
---Playstation 2 DVD-------------------------------
---#Of Players 1-2-------------------------------
---Price: 6800 Yen-------------------------------
---Available: Now (Japan), TBA (U.S.)---------
---Online Play Using KDDI Service-------------
-----------------------------------------------------

Maximum Impact 2, which will be called "KOF 2006" (why god why) for the U.S. release, is a big improvement over the original game.  The roster size has almost doubled with 38 playable characters, although a few of the hidden characters are just variations on regular fighters (Billy Kane -> Lilly Kane, Terry Bogard -> Wild Wolf), with some slightly different moves and combos, a la the Tekken games.

The biggest change to the game play is the new parry attack, which is done with a button press, and works just like the parry system in the Last Blade games.  Couple this the rolling/dodging system from the original, as well as guard crushes, and MI2 now offers a number of defensive options over the original game.  Game play has also been slightly sped down, which works in MI2's favor, as the stylish combos are easier to counter, and punishing ground-abuse tactics, a major problem in the original game should a player miss a roll and land on his/her back, are now no longer as much of a problem.

MI2's single player options are rather vast as well.  The challenge mode has been expanded, and now includes survival, time attack, and 200 challenge missions, which can be extremely difficult.  Finally, the extra bonus missions offer four bonus games that harken back to the SF2 days of crushing the car or breaking the barrels: You get a "destroy the SUV" challenge, a "create a Moa head (destroy stones)" challenge, a challenge in which you have to knock a steamroller (driven by Todoh) off a cliff, and finally, a game in which you have to destroy the Metal Slug tank.  Each of these missions has five difficulty types, with the time limit getting lower, and mines/homing lasers growing in number on the stage floors as you increase them.  Beating challenge missions unlocks characters, outfits (each fighter has a total of 16 outfits), music, and stages (of which I still am missing six; stages are tough to get!).

There is a lot of fan service in MI2 as well, from various outfit styles (based on other SNK characters from various games or even anime; check the Mai picture below-- it's Lum), stage cameos, and bonus characters (Fio from Metal Slug and Hanzo Hattori from Samurai Shodown are playable)

The complete roster is as follows.  (Characters in bold text are new.)

From the Start:

Kyo Kusanagi (new design)
Iori Yagami
Terry Bogard
Seth
Mai Shiranui
Lien Neville
Luise Meyrink
Yuri Sakazaki
Ryo Sakazaki
Billy Kane
Alba Meira
Soiree Meira
Athena Asamiya (new design)
Mignon Beart
Nagase
Ralf Jones (slight new design)
Clark Still (slight new design)
Kula Diamond
Chae Lim
Leona (slight new design)
K'
Maxima (ditto)
Rock Howard
Duke

Secret Characters:

Kim Kaphwan
B. Jenet (she can do the breaking moves from Garou; I'm sure Wild Wolf can too)
Ninon Beart (Mignon's sister?)
Hanzo Hattori (From Samurai Shodown)
Nightmare Geese
Wild Wolf (MOTW Terry; has no rising tackle, but gains the power stream SDM)
Armor Ralf
Mr. Karate
Richard Meyer (the Pao Pao cafe owner; he's the Capoeira guy from Fatal Fury 1)
Kyo Kusanagi Classic (KOF '95 style; has his old outfits)
Fio (from Metal Slug)
Lilly Kane (Billy's little sister)
Hyena (the goofy looking announcer guy from MI1)
Jivatma (final boss)

As a nice bonus, every copy of Maximum Impact 2 (first printings only) comes with a DVD containing all four "KOF Another Day" anime episodes.  While very short (about five-seven minutes each), these episodes were animated by Production I.G., the same company that did the Ghost In The Shell TV series, among others, and contain enough action to keep KOF fans happy.

The new parry --------- Fio takes on the Metal Slug in the bonus game

MI2 gives you 38 playable characters.  Here Leona looks like Heidern; Hanzo is Galford ---------- Armor Ralf vs. Billy Kane's little sister Lilly.

Wild Wolf (Garou Terry) vs. B. Jenet ---------- B. Jenet vs. Hanzo

Lien snaps Maxima's neck ---------- Mai strikes a pose.  You can see Tizoc/The Griffon in the background.

Billy Kane vs. Richard Meyer ---------- Newcomers Nagase and Luise

Alba vs. Soiree ----------- Kyo (in Yuki, from Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, outfit) with Neo-Geo on his back

Athena does her healing super in front of Rock Howard --------- Nightmare Geese!

Hyena, the goofy announcer from the original game, now playable ---------- Kim Kaphwan vs. Chae Lim

Many of the alternate outfits change character appearance completely; this is Luise ---------- Kula (dressed as Ash, from KOF 2003/XI) vs. K'

Ninon Beart ----------- Yuri slaps Mr. Karate (Ryo)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:20:46 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平

MrAngryFace

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 12:00:17 AM »
I just want that new KoF 2D fighter that has Kasumi back
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:26:11 AM »
I just want that new KoF 2D fighter that has Kasumi back

That would be KOF XI, AKA "The Awesome."

ど助平

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »
want so bad
o_0

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
Oh, and I also have to recommend Melty Blood Act Cadenza, too.  It plays really well, and has some fun characters to use.  I just wrote a review on it; when it's up I can post some of the pics...
ど助平