Author Topic: A&E Napoleon Mini-Series  (Read 1098 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
A&E Napoleon Mini-Series
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:03:20 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

Anyone catch this on TV? I bought the DVD set, it even comes ith a 2 hour documentary on Waterloo which should be an interesting contrast to my books on the subject.

Honestly I think my only big disappointment with this mini-series so far is the uneven casting. I mean the guy the have as Napoleon couldnt be better suited for the role, but the guy who plays Murat says his lines in the weirdest way. It sounds sorta canned half the time.

I've watched the first two, 2-hour episodes and that puts me at halfway and they're just now getting to Eylau and used Murat's charge as a cliffhanger. It took that long to get there because the mini-series is more about his family and politics and less about the battles in the first half. I mean the entire Italian and Egyptian campaign was maybe 20 minutes combined haha. The Grande Armee period has wayyy more footage of the battles which is appreciated, I love that stuff.

I do appreciate the even handed attitude while portraying Napoleon as a character. Its easy to see his flaws, but the way in which its approached does more to humanize him than damn him. I get so tired of the decidedly british way of portraying him as insane.

Its also interesting to see how a military mind approaches politics, and how it conflicts with his aides who have been in the game longer. These kind of things are talked about in books but for some reason seeing it acted out adds a little bit more.

The set is 50 bucks and well worth it if you dont know much about the big N.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:07:25 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: A&E Napoleon Mini-Series
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »
History sucks lol
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
YOU SIR ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT!
o_0

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 12:41:02 PM »
If WIllco is doomed to repeat Napoleon's life, then I get to be doomed to repeat Caligula's.  Now find me a chicken to fuck.
serge