Author Topic: 'Childhood Origins of Adult Resistance to Science'  (Read 1511 times)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
'Childhood Origins of Adult Resistance to Science'
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/316/5827/996?etoc
In a new paper two psychologists examine why there is a resistance to scientific knowledge among adults. Here is my quick summary of the paper:

From early childhood our intuitions often clash with reality and so science often appears counterintuitive and unnatural to us. That the Earth is spherical is something that is very counterintuitive to young children. We readily accept that the Earth is round, despite the fact that this claim is counterintuitive, because it is tacitly accepted by all of society. We don't critically examine such a claim; we just accept that it as true. Evolution, for example, is not tacitly accepted by all of society, and so we must examine evolution to find out whether it is true or not. However because most of us are not qualified to asses the claims of science we can not examine the truth directly. Because of this we do not look at the claim itself, but the source of the claim. If we trust the source we will likely believe the claim, however if we distrust the source then we will not believe the claim. If a person trusts his teachers, professors, and scientists he will believe that evolution is true (most people who believe in evolution can not even explain how natural selection works). On the other hand, if he trusts his creationist parents, preacher, or Kirk Cameron he will believe that evolution is false.

Science is not special, and the same process occurs with religious, moral, and political beliefs. Instead of critically examining the claims we either trust our intuitions or appeal to authority.

Related thread, lol.
http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?topic=7390.0
My comment from the thread:
Forgive me for knowing that human intuition is very limited and that one should not rely on it to find out what is actually true.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: 'Childhood Origins of Adult Resistance to Science'
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
HOMESKOOL > SCIENTICIANS
yar

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
short form: "don't homeskool your kids you ignorant, fearful prats"
duc

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 03:43:11 PM »
short form: "don't homeskool your kids you ignorant, fearful prats"
Actually, that is the opposite message fundies would hear. If you want to brainwash little Marice, best to keep him on a short leash.

Back to the paper:

Evolution actually made intuitive sense to me after I became an agnostic and stopped believing in creationism in elementary school (my parents are creationists). However, I can see how others could view it as counterintuitive, especially if one does not have a good grasp of the details.

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:00:22 PM »
Despite the fact I went to a catholic elementary school they taught evolution and with rather secular parents I never saw any logic in desputing scientists that know far more about the subject.

I was totally shocked when I went to a Lutheran High School and they attempted to teach me that evolution was not true, I had no idea there was people out there who denied scientifict facts till then.

Scurvy Stan

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »
You take your "science" and shove it up your cigarillo enabling ass. Jesus is love!
^_^

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
You take your "science" and shove it up your cigarillo enabling ass. Jesus is love!
Jesus wuvs me.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 11:19:46 PM »
WHERE IS MICHELLE?  I could use some laughs after an underwhelming couple hours of tv.
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:21:13 PM »
Jesus wuvs me.

Fuck these assfucks.  Let's go to one of the gay assfucking parks in Oregon. And assfuck.
serge

Scurvy Stan

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »
Jesus wuvs me.

Fuck these assfucks.  Let's go to one of the gay assfucking parks in Oregon. And assfuck.

God didn't make the woods to assfuck in!
^_^

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »
Jesus wuvs me.

Fuck these assfucks.  Let's go to one of the gay assfucking parks in Oregon. And assfuck.
Oregan is a long trip to get ripped by your organ.

Scurvy Stan

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 11:25:30 PM »
More like Oregay am I rite!

Actually it must not be gay enough since morrissey doesn't have any concert dates in the whole damn state. :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:27:51 PM by Scurvy Stan »
^_^

etiolate

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 04:02:31 AM »
That is part of why I speak of science as our modern mythology, our way of looking at things and our new set of beliefs.  The way most look at science is no different than the way many look at religion.  It's very much placing faith in a great big idea without fully understanding it. If we are not asking Jesus to deliver us from evil, we are asking medical research funding to cure us of cancer. How does God work? The populace does not know.  How do the researchers work? What is the research doing? The populace does not now.  The only difference is, when God does not deliver us from evil, when religion does not save us from hurricanes, many take it as a sign against God, either through blame or discredit.  When science does not cure cancer, we aren't at the point where we blame science yet or question it.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:07:46 AM by etiolate »

APF

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Why would we blame the scientific method for scientists not developing a cure for cancer?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »
also, who among the scientific community considers themselves God? outside of Marvel villains, of course.
duc

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »
 Etiolate, there is no evidence that the universe contains an omnipotent, omniscient, and omni-benevolent entity. In fact, many of the 'evils' of the world shows us that if God does exist, he can not possibly be both omnipotent and omni-benevolent. Fact is there are no legitimate reasons, no good arguments and no evidence that can possibly lead one to believe in God. It is all a matter of faith!

What about science? Well you're reading this message, aren't you? On a monitor, thousands of miles away from where this message originated? Did religion make this possible, or science? Scientists may not have cured cancer, but survival rates are much better than they used to be thanks to scientific research. The belief that science works is not a matter of faith, but one based on the evidence. The belief that God exists rests entirely on faith.

also, who among the scientific community considers themselves God? outside of Marvel villains, of course.
and Richard Dawkins.

I kid

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
see, malek, that's only gonna make him point a spidery, shaking finger and go "see! i knew you science types are just as dogmatic as christians!" people buy into cute metaphors and analogies more easily than they do MATH, and they only let go of them when they get educated -- which is rare, because americans hate education more than they hate not eating bacon dipped in lard and chocolate.
duc