Author Topic: You know what? I don't know a single god damn person that owns a Wii...  (Read 1121 times)

futami

• my jeans cost as much as a PS3
which begs the question:

just who the fuck is buying this thing?

all of my friends are gamers, guys who owned everything from a playstation to a dreamcast.

yet, conspicuously enough, none of them own a wii.

some own a ps3, others a 360, while the rest are still content with the ps2 and original xbox.

but none of them, not a single one, own a fucking wii.

and, i don't think it's some isolated case.

perhaps it's the fact that i don't surround myself with feggits and geeks, the demo most likely constituting the bulk of its installed base.

maybe it's because most of my friends aren't white?

is it a racial thing?

that nostalgic feeling that only privileged white children of the 80s are familiar with?

it's selling at a dizzying rate, unabatedly successful in every corner of the globe, yet i don't know a SINGLE god damn person who owns one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:29:05 PM by futami »

Oblivion

Are your grandparents dead or something?

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
I know two people who own a Wii. I dont get it either.
o_0

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I know a few people with Wiis. I don't know anybody with PS3s and like one person with a 360. Then again I (and most of my friends) are privelaged white children, and damn proud of it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:48:10 PM by tiesto »
^_^

hyp

• Casual Gamer™
my dad wants a wii ever since i showed him wii golf.  this world is coming to an end.
pyh

MrAngryFace

Yeah most of my friends have ps3s and 360s and psps and ds and gbas and pcs...
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i know two folks with wiis; the same two folks maf knows. one of them is tvc and he makes fun of it.
duc

MrAngryFace

Oh the lolz we all have at its expense.
o_0

Himu

I have a wii and I make fun of mine.
IYKYK

bluemax

Very few of my real life friends own gaming consoles. And those that do own PS2's from the first year or so the PS2 came out.

Actually wait, I just thought of at least 3 of my friends who own Wiis. AFAIK none of them owns a PS3 or 360, and one is more of a hardcore PC gamer who for whatever reason is in love with Smash and bought his Wii prematurely.

Also my family has one, and my aunt and uncle bought one for my cousin who is in like 1st grade or whatever.

Still I've had a lot of people come over and want to try the Wii out. I left it in the living room all last semester and my non gaming roommates would have friends come visit who would all have to try Wii sports (not at my insistence, I never pushed the thing on anyone). There's something appealing about drunk Wii bowling to college kids I guess. Both male and female.

Now that I think about it I've had more inquiries and casual conversations with people about Wii than PS3 and 360. People only bring up PS3 to discuss how ridiculously fucking expensive it is, and 360 to talk about Halo 3 or Gears. And yeah, a lot of people are in love with the idea of the VC. Playing all their old favorites that they could buy/download for much cheaper again.

I hear things like, "PS3 just seems to expensive to me, but I could see myself maybe buying a Wii." Or "Modern games are just too hard and complicated. I really loved Mario Kart 64 though."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 07:54:04 PM by bluemax »
NO

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
I don't know what's funnier, the original post or the fact that people are treating this thread seriously.  :lol
WDW

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
I have probably played with my Wii less than Drinky has played Magna Carta :(  My most disappointing gaming purchase ever.
serge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
My friends are pretty fucked up, statistically... nearly every one of them owns a Cube, very few own an Xbox, and a good portion of them own PS2. I thought it was weird the first time I learned that Xbox 1 outsold Cube in the US. Hardly any of my friends are handheld gamers, a few of them own SPs and DSes... My brother and I are like the only people I know that have PSPs. A number of my friends are big fan of RTSes, FPSes and simulation games and do a good deal of PC gaming, but they also do console gaming.
^_^

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
It isn't some nostalgic nintendo fanboy thing seeing how it is crushing what GCN was selling and destroying 360 and PS3.

It is shocking and very confusing. But, meh its how the industry goes. I play my 360 much more than Wii but eh it livens up the industry I guess to have Sony fall to a distant third and nintendo rise above the rest I guess.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
A lot of my friends own it.  I own it–we love to play Wario Ware and EXCITE Truck.

When Brawl releases, you won't see any of us for a while.
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i wish i was 12 again, too :'(
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Why does that make me sound so young?  You can't have fun playing a genuinly fun game like Wario Ware or Excite Truck?  Christ, I'm surprised you even enjoy gaming AT ALL, you're so fucking hard to please.
püp

Cheebs

If Cute Knight was on Wii evilbore would eat that shit up.

Himu

Wario Ware is fun as hell. Give me a Rhythm Tengoku Wii.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I know only 3 people that have wii's, one's a huge uber-nerd that is obsessed with spending every spare cent of his on video games, one's a mormon, and the other's pretty normal.  The uber-nerd probably just got it because he works at gamestop and he can get it and the other two probably got it for christmas.  They all like mmo's.  I know A LOT more people that are waiting to be able to buy wiis though.  If wii is able to diversify from the gamecube and make really mainstream mature AAA games that people can jack off on then there's NO CHANCE for the other two.  I honestly liked the gamecube's line-up but it took sticking with it for 4 (really) years and pretty much the most awesome game of all time, metroid prime.  I'm in maybe the minority really interested in the wii for any particular game cause there's not much outside of metroid prime 3 that MAKES me want to get one.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
brawl is a little kids' fighting game. and excite truck is a b-list burnout clone with worse graphics and novelty controls. really, though, it's only brawl that's for little kids of the three games you listed. people tend to outgrow playing as their favorite saturday morning cartoon characters when they become pubically hirsute.
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
oh dear, the record player is broken again
萌え~

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
which pink marshmallow or pokeyman do YOU consider yourself to be, viz?
duc

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
lol

in ssbm I used marth

top tier :bow
萌え~

Scurvy Stan

More like GC v1.5 lolz.
^_^

Cheebs

wait what is going on in this thread. I thought EB accepted Drinky's awesome bitter ways and love it dearly unlike gaf?

This thread makes me think otherwise.  :(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
lol

in ssbm I used marth

Fuck yeah, Marth! I hope to god they don't nerf him in Brawl, one of the main things that bothered me about Melee was the way that it nerfed some of the most powerful characters from the first game, Viz I'm sure you weren't too happy about what they did to Ness...

Everybody I know is hyped to hell for Brawl, even people who ignored the first 2 games, due to them either being too "kiddy" or too unorthodox when it came to fighters.
^_^

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
brawl is a little kids' fighting game.

YOU PLAY A GAME CALLED CUTE KNIGHT

CUTE KNIGHT

EDIT:  Welp, I just ventured over to the Cute Knight thread and its not kiddy...at all.  :lol

Still though, as long as it's fun, why the fuck does it matter?  You're just so concerned to look so much mroe mature than you are that you can't even find enjoyment out of anything that's genuinly ENJOYABLE.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:19:55 AM by BrandNew »
püp

Beezy

lol

in ssbm I used marth

Same here. :D

I didn't even know about all that tier stuff when I started using him.