Author Topic: <3 Colin Powell  (Read 7201 times)

Mandark

• Icon
<3 Colin Powell
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:48:48 AM »
Quote from: Colin Powell
If it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo. Not tomorrow, but this afternoon. I'd close it.

And I would not let any of those people go.  I would simply move them to the United States and put them into our federal legal system. The concern was, well then they'll have access to lawyers, then they'll have access to writs of habeas corpus. So what? Let them. Isn't that what our system is all about?

Would have been nice if he said this back when he was Secretary of State, but I'll take what I can get.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: <3 Colin Powell
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:45 AM »
STOP BEING INSENSITIVE, VINCE MCMAHON IS DEAD FUCKING MANDARK
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:02:14 AM »
Mandark, why'd you get fired from being a mod, man?  What kind of justice is it when you get de-modded but sp0rsk and Amir0x still have their mod powers?
PS4

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:08:16 AM »
I like Ami.  Some one re invite him back here.  I saw the thread where he joined here it was funny. 

TVC15

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:32 AM »
Mandark, why'd you get fired from being a mod, man?  What kind of justice is it when you get de-modded but sp0rsk and Amir0x still have their mod powers?

He stepped down himself.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:11:36 AM »
Amir0x trolls threads way too much, goads people into getting into fights with him, and then bans them.  That ain't cool.  :maf
PS4

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 02:14:51 AM »
i raperaped ami in that I PUNCHED MY MOM IT'S OKAY GUYS thread!
duc

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 02:16:18 AM »

Did he really punch his mom?  I remember reading the drama thread where he said his mom was planning on taking out a restraining order against him.
PS4

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:16:20 AM »
I only half remember that thread but he had it hard as a kid  :-\

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:17:47 AM »
to be fair, he ultimately said he simply "restrained" her, but the language really changed over the course of the thread as he took flak from all sides.
duc

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »
I only half remember that thread but he had it hard as a kid  :-\

Hey, he wasn't the only one molested by a camp counselor.  Shit happens, deal with it, don't take it out on your mom 'cuz she won't let you watch South Park.
PS4

TVC15

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:45 AM »
Amir0x trolls threads way too much, goads people into getting into fights with him, and then bans them.  That ain't cool.  :maf

I don't think he does.  He has been moderating very little lately, since the Himu incident.

For what it's worth, he wasn't even going to ban Himuro after the incident.  He's actually pretty decent about not banning people in discussions he is involved in, though he has definitely slipped up a few times.
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:20:50 AM »

I don't think he does.  He has been moderating very little lately, since the Himu incident.

For what it's worth, he wasn't even going to ban Himuro after the incident.  He's actually pretty decent about not banning people in discussions he is involved in, though he has definitely slipped up a few times.

Whiteman was the chances of me become a gaf mod?  I no I don't post their anymore but it's always been my dream, since I was a wee little kid!   

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:22:33 AM »
I need to watch out at GAF, john_tv told me he was going to permaban me next time.
PS4

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 02:23:38 AM »
I need to watch out at GAF, john_tv told me he was going to permaban me next time.
we can share my account if you do  :-*

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
we can share my account if you do  :-*

Cool, I'll use it to post that picture of Dragona and compliment her sexy thighs.  :-*
PS4

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 02:26:14 AM »
what's with all the hate for dragona?
duc

TVC15

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 02:28:04 AM »
what's with all the hate for dragona?

Dragona rocks.  All her bans are pretty predictable, too.  Most of her bans that people bitch about are way predictable, too.  if you don't want to be banned, don't let blatant misogyny leak into the Gaming Forum.
serge

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 02:29:30 AM »
Actually, I like Dragona.  It's just that someone posted a really funny picture of her over at Mupepe's forum.

She banned me once for an off-topic post, though.  Some guy posted an article with scientific "evidence" that somehow proved women were more interested in high-definition TVs than jewelry and I replied with "Materialistic bitches." BAM! One month ban.  I appealed it to her and explained I was kidding and she ended up reducing it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:31:09 AM by Ichirou »
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:12 AM »
how is calling a fat bitch on the tyra show a fat bitch ban worthy?  i spoke the truth.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 02:32:05 AM »
how is calling a fat bitch on the tyra show a fat bitch ban worthy?  i spoke the truth.

Was she really a bitch, though?  Or was she a lovely person who just happened to be obese?
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »
she was a bitch.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 02:35:22 AM »
How long did you get banned for?
PS4

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 02:36:41 AM »
How long did you get banned for?
3 months

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 02:37:30 AM »
what tvc said. don't post misogyny on gaf, and she won't ban you. i'm not arguing that it's fair; that's just the way it is. dragona's always been cool to talk shop with on irc, and despite her somewhat peculiar brand of crazy, she's quite knowledgable and fairly even-handed.

also, she usually bans when she sees a pattern with a poster, not for an isolated incident, no matter how much the recipient might like to think otherwise.
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 02:38:45 AM »
i'd still eat her cherry pie.  i've always wanted a heavy handed woman like that to show me the ropes

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 02:41:54 AM »
what tvc said. don't post misogyny on gaf, and she won't ban you. i'm not arguing that it's fair; that's just the way it is. dragona's always been cool to talk shop with on irc, and despite her somewhat peculiar brand of crazy, she's quite knowledgable and fairly even-handed.

also, she usually bans when she sees a pattern with a poster, not for an isolated incident, no matter how much the recipient might like to think otherwise.

That's why she unbanned me, I told her to check my post history and she didn't find anything.  Also, Mupepe is a mysogynist, that's pretty common knowledge around these parts.

As for Dragona - I would hit it. She's got crazy eyes that make me think she'd be an animal in the sack. :drool
PS4

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 02:43:53 AM »
but I like bring the women hate to the internet  :(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's cool though.  I remember a thread her and Blackace were a big part of about Japaneses sexual weirdness.  It was enlightening.
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 02:44:37 AM »
I want my thread back :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 02:48:09 AM »
It's your own fault though, if you wanted to talk about Colin Powell here your should have made a first post about Ami and his mother beatings. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 02:50:53 AM »
but I like bring the women hate to the internet  :(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's cool though.  I remember a thread her and Blackace were a big part of about Japaneses sexual weirdness.  It was enlightening.
[close]

Japanese sexual weirdness?  Dragona's into the kinky stuff?  I KNEW IT.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 02:52:16 AM »

Colin Powell is an asshole.  He did nothing when he actually had power to effect change, and now he's giving interviews and talking shit about the administration he was a big part of.
PS4

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 03:09:42 AM »
Colin Powell is an asshole.  He did nothing when he actually had power to effect change, and now he's giving interviews and talking shit about the administration he was a big part of.

I sometimes feel that way, but I understand what his position was.  His leverage came from his ability to influence the president, and Bush doesn't have a lot of tolerance for public criticism.  Powell was trying to play the game that Rice is playing now, except he got thoroughly whipped.

I do wish he had been more public after leaving the administration, though.  Having nominally centrist or conservative voices take positions like this gives a lot of political cover for the media, and wavering legislators.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
You think Rice is a moderate voice within the administration?  Maybe compared to Dick Cheney...
PS4

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 03:19:38 AM »
Quote from: Colin Powell
If it was up to me, I would close Guantanamo. Not tomorrow, but this afternoon. I'd close it.

* If it were up to me.

Oh Colin, I like you, I really do. I'm disappointed. :(
:-*

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 03:21:31 AM »
I can't believe Mandark has a Powell appreciation thread. Sorry fellas, but I'm not forgiving him for deliberatly lying to the UN. That shit isn't cool, and this Obama cabinet news makes me dislike both of them even more.

Amirox: What can I say, he covered my ass. For that I'm thankful. Personally I think his trolls are awesome

Dragona: Here's my problem with the misogny thing. If you're going to ban people of that it should be consistant. Everyday someone makes an ignorant comment about women on GAF, and everyday it's overlooked. She seems to pick certain days when she's going to fuck things up. And like Mupepe said, many times it makes no sense. And then when I got back from that month long ban she started taking rep points from me whenever I pointed out her hypocrisy. MEH!

Sporsks: Talked to him last week; I have no probs with him.

White Man: My gay brother/lover.  :-*

Blackace: Quickly becomming my favorite mod. Dude is just fun as hell, especially in the sports threads :bow

EvilLore: Eh dunno. He's helped me out before, but eh...eh

Bish: Tha King, nuff said. If you get banned by Bish you're a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

BuddyC: Pretty cool but I never see him around

Shouta: Animu lolz

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 03:28:52 AM »
The thing about Powel is that he is and always has been the loyal soldier. 

He may vehemently disagree, and he may argue his position passionately, but he won't badmouth those who asked him to serve, and who he served under.

Often it seems to me that his critics don't understand that perspective, and expect him to be someone that he isn't.  It isn't that he does not stand by his principles, or stand by his positions, it is just that he views his role different than from what others expect him to be.
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:31 AM »
You think Rice is a moderate voice within the administration?  Maybe compared to Dick Cheney...

Definitely.  She's hardly a peacenik, but she doesn't have that knee-jerk tendency to favor force that's so scary.  In the 90's, she wrote about how Saddam wasn't a major threat even with WMD, because he would be deterred.

She's completely devoted to Bush, so she'll support whatever he winds up doing, but she's definitely a moderating influence, at least when she chooses to be an influence.

Quote from: xnikki118x
* If it were up to me.

Oh Colin, I like you, I really do. I'm disappointed. :Sad

If grammar's a big enough deal that you're bringing up misuse of the subjunctive tense, how has Bush not personally driven you to drink?

Boogie: I recognize where Powell's coming from, and I don't expect him to act differently, but following orders isn't always a great defense (he said, tiptoeing past the Godwin's Law violation).

He's bringing a military attitude towards a civilian post.  In a democracy, the leaders should feel pressure to repeatedly earn the loyalty of their subordinates and constituents.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:40 AM »

Boogie: I recognize where Powell's coming from, and I don't expect him to act differently, but following orders isn't always a great defense (he said, tiptoeing past the Godwin's Law violation).

He's bringing a military attitude towards a civilian post.  In a democracy, the leaders should feel pressure to repeatedly earn the loyalty of their subordinates and constituents.

Ya, I recognize all of that, and definitely wish that Powell did too.  I'm certainly glad to hear him speak out when he chooses to do so like he has on this issue, and I do wish he'd be more bold in his criticisms.
MMA

xnikki118x

• Hanson Defense Force
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 04:31:09 AM »
If grammar's a big enough deal that you're bringing up misuse of the subjunctive tense, how has Bush not personally driven you to drink?

My reactions to Bush went in this order: awe, denial, disgust, rage, lulz.

I just laugh, and laugh a lot.

Sometimes I feel bad about it because I'm a pretty terrible public speaker, but I'd never get involved in politics or anything where I'd spend a lot of time speaking in front of cameras. You've gotta know your own weaknesses, right?
:-*

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »
The thing about Powel is that he is and always has been the loyal soldier. 

He may vehemently disagree, and he may argue his position passionately, but he won't badmouth those who asked him to serve, and who he served under.

Often it seems to me that his critics don't understand that perspective, and expect him to be someone that he isn't.  It isn't that he does not stand by his principles, or stand by his positions, it is just that he views his role different than from what others expect him to be.
I always felt that way too. Which is why I still respected him after he left office in 2004.

I am still quite shocked by his almost pure abandonment of the Republican party and his obvious support for Barack Obama.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
Yeah he's a good house nicca. ::)

Seriously fuck him, he had his chance.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2007, 09:37:07 AM »
I lol at govt now because I finally figured out all that your vote counts stuff was bullshit a while back, and that made it easier for me to accept. 
o_0

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2007, 09:54:17 AM »
I have nothing to add, I just want to post in a Mandark thread.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »
:)

Cheebs

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
whats a candidate that has a good as a chance as a write in vote for Elmo at getting the republican nomination have to do with colin powell?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »

I agree 100%. At the end of the day a soldier's job is to protect his country no matter what. Powell certainly didn't do that when he went before the UN

Cheebs

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »

I agree 100%. At the end of the day a soldier's job is to protect his country no matter what. Powell certainly didn't do that when he went before the UN
Obama wants you to give Powell another chance, its your duty to fall in line behind Obama.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »
Because he's black? Meh. I actually respect Obama less now than I did before he announced his candidacy. His campaign is going nowhere, most blacks are gravitating towards Hillary, and he has underpreformed at both debates. Now he adds a Powell to his posse?

Cheebs

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »
Because he's black? Meh. I actually respect Obama less now than I did before he announced his candidacy. His campaign is going nowhere, most blacks are gravitating towards Hillary, and he has underpreformed at both debates. Now he adds a Powell to his posse?
Remember Powell has taken a turn to the left since 2004 on foreign policy so now he is ok to like or something. Hell, I think he might as well be a democrat now (the almost guaranteed endorsement of the democratic nominee would seal that).

Are you saying Powell becoming rather liberal doesn't make him cool?  >:(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
Right now Powell is in LBJ territory. Definitely a cool guy who did some good things, but he's also responsible for entering the country into an unnessassary war. LBJ knew the Gulf of Tonkin story was a fraud and stood by. The very day before the presentation Powell told some people the evidence was "bullshit", yet he still marched out there and carried out orders, thus becomming one of the first fall guys for the administration.

So no, he's not on my cool list, at all.

Cheebs

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »
Right now Powell is in LBJ territory. Definitely a cool guy who did some good things, but he's also responsible for entering the country into an unnessassary war. LBJ knew the Gulf of Tonkin story was a fraud and stood by. The very day before the presentation Powell told some people the evidence was "bullshit", yet he still marched out there and carried out orders, thus becomming one of the first fall guys for the administration.

So no, he's not on my cool list, at all.

If you aren't with Obama on Powell you are with Hillary.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »
Well I must say Hillary has impressed me far more in the last 30 days or so.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
whats a candidate that has a good as a chance as a write in vote for Elmo at getting the republican nomination have to do with colin powell?

your mom
:)

etiolate

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 05:13:03 AM »

I don't think he does.  He has been moderating very little lately, since the Himu incident.

For what it's worth, he wasn't even going to ban Himuro after the incident.  He's actually pretty decent about not banning people in discussions he is involved in, though he has definitely slipped up a few times.

Eh He banned me once because I said he was the worst poster in a thread he derailed.  I think he claimed it as ad hominem, but I don't really think he understands the intent of ad hominem.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:58 PM »
If you aren't with Obama on Powell you are with Hillary.
Fuck that noise, I'm with nobody.
Hi