Author Topic: Who's fed up of RTS'es?  (Read 1499 times)

Mondain

• no bias
Who's fed up of RTS'es?
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:39:48 AM »
I downloaded the Lord of the Rings II demo on Xbox 360 and got frustrated beyond belief after just a couple minutes. It reminded me of why I hate the genre so damn much, and now I'm not even awaiting Supreme Commander anymore. Why do people stilll play these?

I had lots of fun when the genre was blooming years ago with the first few Command and Conquer games, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires, but with that period also started the RTS fad. Everytime a new game genre obtains mad success at retail, every company wants a piece of the pie and creates a game like that. And it's by playing some of them that I realized how much the genre sucked.

Playing a game that involves so much thinking and on top of that, measures not your ability to think critically, but instead your ability to move the mouse cursor and click as quickly as possible simply isn't fun. I'd much rather play something turn-based instead... but then again, it's rare that these are entertaining enough to get me to play, as high as my patience is...

The only thing that might change thing would be an humorous sequel to Warcraft, which Warcraft III wasn't, in contrast to the second title in the series. These games take themselves way too seriously, and Warcraft II's humor was refreshing and definitely memorable. :)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Who's fed up of RTS'es?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:48 AM »
Dude, Rise of Legends and Age of Empires III. These will sustain you until C&C3 is out :)
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »
Yah, I recognize that Rise of Nations was cool, but then again I just get tired extremely quickly of these games after a short while for the reasons mentionned above, and I'm sure of not being the only one.

And C&C3, I'm not sure it interests me. From what I recall, C&C Generals had a mediocre EA-like story, in contrast of the FMV adventures of Kane and folks in past games of the series that's just an awful crime. EA will have to improve that a lot else I'm not ever playing this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:22:59 AM by Mondain »

rocketman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:21:16 AM »
Warcraft III was decent, but some of the mods were awesome to play.

Try Defense of The Ancients. Loads of fun.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:21:53 AM »
No no no, Rise of LEGENDS, its the new one. Its badass shit
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
Yah I know that Rise of Legends is a new one, so I was referring to how good the _original_ one was in that post.