Author Topic: Rainbow 6: Vegas - PS3 version?  (Read 2177 times)

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
Rainbow 6: Vegas - PS3 version?
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:39:10 AM »
SO I was holding out on this till I could see the PS3 results....

It seems official that the PS3 version is the one to get...

- All of the extra content included
- Better quality voicechat than the X360's house VoIP (1up.com)
- Some graphical improvements making it look slightly better than the x360 version (Yahoo games - LOL)

Did it pay off for me to hold out? (note that I like the X360 and PS3 controller the same)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Rainbow 6: Vegas - PS3 version?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
I heard that there were some Vsynch issues with the PS3 version but they're basically the same graphically.  The extra content costs $10 on Live marketplace so it could be cheaper or the same price if you can find the 360 version not at full price.  The 360 version will have a bigger community and rumble.  You can try the demo on 360 to see if you'll like it more on that if you already have a 360.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:45:11 AM »
- Some graphical improvements making it look slightly better than the x360 version

Can i ask ... as it`s not clear... you didn`t hold out for the PS3 version whilst you already have an X360 did you?

Yeah but I had more than enough 360 games to play to hold me over. Im also getting Overlord today for X360, so im happy to get a new PS3 game (got The Darkness for X360)

EDIT: I have a headset from my phone I can pair till warhawk comes out and I get a dedicated PS3 mic...as long as there are as many users voice chatting as there are in resistance ill be ok.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »
A good PS3 game to get is Oblivion, has a lot of improvements in loading and graphics.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:06 AM »
A good PS3 game to get is Oblivion, has a lot of improvements in loading and graphics.

got it! ;)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:40:34 AM »
There's a definate bonus to being the second console in-line for a game from a developer that actually cares about the product. PS3 reaps the benefits of all the work and troubleshooting on the 360 version. Oblivion however is not better on the PS3. The graphical improvements are REALLY arguable and in some ways the framerate is slower near the Oblivion gates. Add to that the lack of Shivering Isles and well...why NOT get the 360 version?
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »
yeah, i have both versions of oblivion, and the ps3 game is NOT better graphically -- it has a lot of issues, with the biggest offenders being the really uneven frame rate and the reduced shadow complexity.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »
and no shivering isles!
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »
omg shivering isles, so awesome :bow :bow :bow
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:16:37 AM »
Shivering Isles ROX
o_0

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 02:52:43 PM »
it's supposed to have all the other DLC though, I'd assume you can buy Shivering Isles on PSN soon.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
They will probably release a "Gold" version of R6V for 360, much like they did Call of Duty 2, 3, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Then again those are all Activision games and this is an Ubi game
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:56:55 PM »
In almost all footage I've seen of the PS3 version of Vegas, the colors look washed out and not nearly as vibrant as the Xbox 360.  Normally, it's not a big deal - but since the setting is Vegas, in all its neon and colorful glory, that's pretty lame.
PSP

MrAngryFace

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 03:36:10 PM »
Ps3 lol
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
I can't fathom why it wouldn't look the same on PS3, though.  It boggles.  The machine is surely powerful enough to port over a first gen UE3 title.  At the very least, Ubi is putting extra content in it - but they have to make up for the fact the PSN Vegas community will in no way match the XBL one.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
You can buy the extra maps on 360.  Some PS3 and 360 versions of games have one version's colors look a little weird.  I heard the same problem happened to 360 VF5.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »
Ill own both copies of VF5 lol :(
o_0

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 04:54:43 PM »
I don't know if it was you or drinky who defended it not having online, but apparently somebody on OA said that Reno (seems to be a 1up journalist) risked his "neogaf reputation" (something you said it is very important to 1up guys) on that VF5 360 will have online play.

apparently delayed till october but the VAST majority of people will probably actually get better at the game because they will play more against a human than against AI and eventually learn what happens when there is and isn't lag.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
The windows are way too small to compensate for latency. Even DOA4 with its huge windows doesnt work that well online.

And by 'doesnt work that well' I mean that I have to tollerate lag losses or free hits or anything like that. Sure, some fighting game fans are willing to live with that, but in a highly technical game like VF5 where every little hit counts, I am not.
o_0

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
I did end up getting the PS3 edition of this today along with Final Fantasy for the PSP and Overlord for the X360 (so torn between tearing into overlord or playing the darkness thru to the end..)

Im about to play it now.

I have also played it on my friends X360 hooked up to some 1080i display....i wonder what differences ill notice.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »
ya kno - I really dont see the v-synch tearing in this game that I saw in the X360 version on an HD display...I still see that in some of my X360 favs like GRAW easially but I havent seen it once in R6: Vegas for PS3.

I agree that for some reason things dont look as sharp, but it looks damn good and plays great. How long is this mofo campaign?

I was also pleased to see that like The Darkness this game has PS3 'awards' built in...ribbbons, badges, medals and trophies.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »
Purchase confirmed.

I loved playing Vegas when I rented it for 360, and now I'm going to purchase it for the Triple.
HLR

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 12:41:44 AM »
Dammit - now I feel like I gotta try the X360 version to see which one I like better...I like the no vsynch tearing, but I remember how wowed I was by F>E>A>R> on X360 Vs. PS3....Playing it on X360 made the PS3 verison seem like Duke Nuken 64 :( :( :(

This gen sucks...what a mate gotta do, buy both versions and somehow scam/return the one he doesnt want? Nonsense...

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
After spending much time with this - I ditched the PS3 version for the X360 version today....

Its like FEAR X360 Vs PS3 all over again...

Next gen multiplatform games annoy me....

The visual differences between the two versions were just too much for me to ignore...

Lorraine said - "The game you played on PS3, was that the PS2 version of the game" as she noted the notable lighting and texture differences.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:05 PM »
PC version looks the best if you have the gear (I play it on a heavily overclocked Core 2 DUO + 8800 GTX).  I play it with VSYNC on at 1900X1200.   It also recognizes the 360 controller. 

Himu

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 10:30:27 PM »
My cousin got it. I wanna give it a try sometime so i can compare the ps3 and 360 versions
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
On your 15" TV?
fat

Himu

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »
Naw, his family is rich and spoils him. His mother is a CEO for Comcast. He's got like 50 inch hdtv with all the bells and whistles.

And my tv is 20 inches.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 10:40:26 PM »
There's nothing to compare, PS3 sucks
fat

Himu

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 10:41:51 PM »
He's pretty excited for Home.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »
Sounds like a typical distinguished black fellow
fat

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:16 PM »

Nay - PS3 is an excellent machine....just these games built around the X360's GPU are not going to look as good at all on it....

Back on topic - now that I have spent some time with it on my own TV, the differences between the X360 and PS3 game feel more extreeme....

The game looks SOOOO much more 3D on the X360...on the PS3 it looks rather flat and blurry in comparisonI dont even think videos can show it well....but on 40" LCD right in yer face the differences are enough to make you wonder why they even released the PS3 game....the little things like the dust clouds dont matter as much, but the X360 version has them while the PS3 game does not...

The game looks more 3d, sharp and real on the X360...a true next gen experience...on PS3 its like mashed potatoes with gravy mixed in....:(

Also my friend just invited me to some games and i was able to play and have fun on the X360 game...lastnight on the PS3 i couldnt find a game and voice chat was ALWAYS screwed...studdering, or you couldnt hear anyone, or noone had a mic...

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »
Fans of this type of game wanting a fix on PS3 should wait on SOCOM, or maybe GRAW2 will be better on the PS3?

I dont have much faith - in SOCOM I do, but thats it...

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 12:32:57 AM »
fuck I hate socom

萌え~

Smooth Groove

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:04 AM »

Nay - PS3 is an excellent machine....just these games built around the X360's GPU are not going to look as good at all on it....

Back on topic - now that I have spent some time with it on my own TV, the differences between the X360 and PS3 game feel more extreeme....

The game looks more 3d, sharp and real on the X360...a true next gen experience...on PS3 its like mashed potatoes with gravy mixed in....:(

I love how the fanboys can always turn the decreases in visual quality on the PS3 versions into positives. 

Less anti-aliasing in VF5=good because anti-aliasing makes everything blurry anyway.

Flater lighting in Splinter Cell=good because HDR is too exagerrated.

30 FPS in Madden=good because 60fps is too fast for sports games.

Less spectators in Fight Night=good because you only want to concentrate on the boxers. 

:lol

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:16 AM »
dont you mean 2d spectators
萌え~

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:59 AM »
Using this unreal engine on the X360 makes the textures look to have real bump texture mapping and reactive lighting casts shadows from said textures etc,....everything looks like its reflecting light...

On the PS3 this unreal engine, the textures are blurry, rarely look to have bump mapping and nothing really looks light reactive....some of the textures look like duke Nukem 64..:( especially up close...on the X360, everything looks reflective even if its just brick or something non metal, glass, mirror..., depth is much better defioned because of it...

In that first mission are (MExico City?) sometimes on the PS3 it was hard to see down the atreet....and good god do the player characters actually have a lower poly count in the PS3 game? Or os the lighting just so bad I dont see as much of it?

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »
fuck I hate socom

Why hate socom? The games are just as good if not better than these clancy games....in fact I think the event scripting and AI is actually better often when playing single player campaign in socom...

What they say about R6 Vegas is especially true..enemies will sit in a neighboring room waiting on me to kill them after i take out their friends with an unsilenced machine gun in a nearby room :( Thats like Fireteam bravo AI...not SOCOM console AI...

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 12:50:40 AM »
just didnt feel it is all. the multi sucks imo
Not a huge fan of clancy games either.
萌え~

Smooth Groove

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:25 AM »

What they say about R6 Vegas is especially true..enemies will sit in a neighboring room waiting on me to kill them after i take out their friends with an unsilenced machine gun in a nearby room :( Thats like Fireteam bravo AI...not SOCOM console AI...

That sounds pretty distinguished mentally-challenged for a tactical shooter.  I'm surprised that the reviews were so great.  Were the rest of the game so good that it makes up for a lousy AI?  I rarely play online so the AI quality would make a difference for me.  I'm mainly giving it a try because it's one of the first Unreal Engine 3 games on the PC. 

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 01:10:42 AM »

That sounds pretty distinguished mentally-challenged for a tactical shooter.  I'm surprised that the reviews were so great.  Were the rest of the game so good that it makes up for a lousy AI?  I rarely play online so the AI quality would make a difference for me.  I'm mainly giving it a try because it's one of the first Unreal Engine 3 games on the PC. 

You know how they say its ok to do something good over and over? R6 VEGAS is good at letting you take down the enemies either outside in open areas or room by room over and over and over with little trouble....it feel good to swoop thru the areas using the same proven tactics to deliver death.

SOCOM has 1.) a sense of humor that way it portrays the terrorists. Rainbow SIX feels so serious in comparison. and 2.) Really funny memorable mission events...of of my fav parts in the Socom 3 campaign is a part where you meet an undercover arms dealer in the bushes by a road thru the dessert. He gives you an RPG and a mission to stop a supply line truck....jumping out in front of this transport truck and firing a missile dead on into its grill and blowing it off of the road really kicks ass - then you move on to some other varied event on the campaign map...