Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 918798 times)

Tasty

Re: minor inconviences that are not struggles
« Reply #600 on: May 27, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »
Oniichans :uguu

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #601 on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »
Jet lag.

It's May, and Japan is already moist-inducing.

I have exactly five bottles of good beer -- for the foreseeable future.

sarslip

« Reply #602 on: May 28, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »

lol go jump in a lake, this beer>some gay dead old dude

this was an historic diss

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »
I had to use a computer in 800 x 600. In 2015.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »
Gross you pixel fetishist. 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
There's something attractive about such a low resolution though. Especially on CRT.

This is work, form follows function.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #606 on: May 28, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
I had to use a computer in 800 x 600. In 2015.

Whose phone was it?

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #607 on: May 28, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
I don't think this is struggle worthy but today I passed by I woman that was crying, she looked like she was crying for a while, her face was really flushed and I when I walked passed her I stopped momentarily, I was going to asked if she was alright,etc but my brain told me "no don't bother her, leave her alone". So I kept on walking and I instantly felt awful about it, it really bummed me out that I didn't say anything.
Boo

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
I sat across a crying girl on the bus once. I felt bad for her, but didn't think to offer a tissue. :goty2

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2015, 07:06:09 PM »
I may have cut in line in front of a dude in a wheel chair while getting groceries.  I thought he was waiting for the other till and then suddenly he was in my line.  He looked/stared at me for a bit.  I was uncomfortable. 

Kara

« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
I may have cut in line in front of a dude in a wheel chair while getting groceries.  I thought he was waiting for the other till and then suddenly he was in my line.  He looked/stared at me for a bit.  I was uncomfortable.

you monster

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
I put my foot in my mouth today.

She: "My maiden name is Buxton"
me: "Buxton? Man, you must've gotten a lot of teasing as a kid."
"Why?"
"You know? Buxton, Buxom?"
<she looked down at her small chest> and said, "No, no one's ever said that to me :goty2"

:brazilcry
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »

you monster

I really don't understand why wheelchair bound people just don't get everything though Amazon Prime. 

Kara

« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
Someone wrote Bordeaux as Bordo in what I'm working on atm.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »

edit: also pls post if ur ok.
que

Kara

« Reply #615 on: May 28, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
Am I really ever "OK"? :brazilcry

The worst thing is I kept saying it to myself in an attempt to discern its meaning. I felt like my junior high bff shouting, "there's no L!" in an English class Christmas themed word puzzle. :snoop

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #616 on: May 28, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
Dicking around with bamboo chop sticks and got a sliver under my finger nail.  Now I know how John McCain felt in Nam. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #617 on: May 28, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »
In the “I should have known better” category:

I had downloaded Comedy Central’s app when it first came out, and it had all the content in it, but after the first update it had a per-carrier sign-in.

Asking my Mom for password information is like asking a spaniel to chart a launch vector for Mars so, while staying with her, I finally remembered that *I* was the one who set up her account, then I downloaded all the TV apps supported by her carrier, and registered then tested each of them. Cartoon Network, SyFy Now, Comedy Central, etc. ALL MINE.

Arriving at home last night, I tried to pick up where I left off. Now there’s no login trouble, but none of them will play. Only one of them comes out and says, “WRONG REGION, LOSER.” The rest just say to try again later.

Well, so much for going semi-legit. iPad’s likely a loss, but a kind Borito hipped me to Proxmate on Chrome, so I’ll probably start using that on my laptop rather than struggling more with iPad.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #618 on: May 28, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
That's the main reason I hate using media apps on a mobile device. You feel like you're closed off from the "real" way to watch it.

My Nepalese coworker asked me something about cement and I informed that cement is just the powder that is one component of concrete. I think she's just trolling me since she still says it and I still correct her.

Also I hate that everyone I work with forgot how to do basic math in their heads. I hope it's not an old person thang. I always feel like a wizard when I get it right faster than I can type it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:10:22 PM by am nintenho »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #619 on: May 28, 2015, 09:38:35 PM »
I bought Minecraft 360 for my son last night (separate but related near-struggle), and that uses the screen in our great-room, eliminating background TV watching. So watching stuff on iPad is pretty neat.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #620 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:19 PM »
I dealt with race at the grocery store today. I was in line with my groceries when I saw a black dude walking about 20 feet away from me. He kept staring and squinting at me before shrugging and walking away. For those unfamiliar with black culture, this is a phenomenon where at least 60% of black people you see in public think they know you. Which results in stares that range from antagonizing to sheer puzzlement. Once the black man realizes he doesn't know you, he typically shrugs or gives you a black man nod.

The second race issue I dealt with revolved around the white lady who was ahead of me in line. She didn't have many items in her cart, which made me think the line would go quickly. Nope. She had about 10 coupons, which added at least 5 minutes to the line. For those unfamiliar with white culture, this is a phenomena called "saving money."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #621 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »
I hate it when people do that coupon stuff, or pay by check for crap under $10. My mom did both while I was in Idaho, and it made me really uncomfortable to waste everyone else’s time that way.  :-\

Kara

« Reply #622 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:14 PM »
Paying by check at retail. :holeup

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #623 on: May 28, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »

I don't see a problem with this. He's the dude that gets to just chill there in a chair while the rest of us are standing.

bluemax

« Reply #624 on: May 28, 2015, 11:55:45 PM »

It's always old people that pay for groceries by check. Especially old white ladies who write stupid slow.
NO

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #625 on: May 29, 2015, 12:06:10 AM »
I just recently ran out of checks that had an address I stopped living at 7 years ago.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #626 on: May 29, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »

It's always old people that pay for groceries by check. Especially old white ladies who write stupid slow.

Yeah, my Mom's handwriting is immaculate and a source of pride... even on her checks.  :-\

El Babua

« Reply #627 on: May 29, 2015, 01:10:33 AM »
Lost some skin by two of my fingernails on my left hand at the gym this past Sunday and my right is in more pain due to superficial cuts I got from work.

sarslip

« Reply #628 on: May 29, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »
Have shitty neighbors brehs

this nice old couple across the street, dammit i miss them,

now it's like four kids, two baby daddy's, a drunken grandpa, and his damn near imobile wife, 

honk the horn a lot, in front of small houses on a dead end street brehs

studyguy

« Reply #629 on: May 29, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
All of my clientele still uses fax and checks.
Ranchers/Farmers are like four decades behind in tech brehs.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some of the white farmers are even further back in opinions of minorities
[close]
:tocry
pause

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #630 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »

"Why?"
<she looked down at her small chest> and said, "No, no one's ever said that to me :goty2"

Smooth move ex-lax, who said you aint shit?  :heyman

Kara

« Reply #631 on: May 29, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »
All of my clientele still uses fax and checks.
Ranchers/Farmers are like four decades behind in tech brehs.
Some of the white farmers are even further back in opinions of minorities
[close]
:tocry

Accounting has a lot of fax and checks still too, but we live our lives by arbitrary rules codified like 500 years ago.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #632 on: May 29, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
Cut in line in front of two tween girls on semi accident.  Didn't even feel bad.  Not like they were wheelchair bound or good looking. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #633 on: May 29, 2015, 02:45:35 PM »
A while ago at a Best Buy, there was a woman on her smartphone who was next at the register and they were waiting for her for a few seconds.  The cashier said "Ma'am" a couple of times and she didn't say anything or go to the register.  I was behind her and I said, "Looks like they're ready for you."  Nothing.  Seeing four people behind me, I just cut in line to the register.  It wasn't until I swiped my card until she looked up and saw that the line was moving ahead without her (people moved to be behind me).  She got pissed but fuck it, keep it moving and get going.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #634 on: May 29, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
There was a line of :expert s outside my local Gamestoppe this morning. Did Nintendo release a Splatoon Amiibo already? I don't pay to live in a Latino/hipster enclave to suffer such indignities to my person.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »

"Why?"

sexual harassment  :violin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2015, 02:59:33 PM »

"Why?"

sexual harassment  :violin
Not a co-worker or anyone I do business with. I'm in the clear :rejoice
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »
In the past week I've gotten calls from three of the people I mentor in a panic because they see the market is turning for them in bad ways.
I feel bad for them.

que

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
There was a line of :expert s outside my local Gamestoppe this morning. Did Nintendo release a Splatoon Amiibo already? I don't pay to live in a Latino/hipster enclave to suffer such indignities to my person.

Today is actually the official release date of Splatoon, so I'm sure a lot of those grotesque creatures ended up venturing out into the light of day for the first time in a very long time  :kobeyuck

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #639 on: May 29, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »
Going into GameStop in 2015 :yuck

Kara

« Reply #640 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
An exotic medical test was denied by my Obammunist health insurance, which I was expecting and can easily afford because I'm not a fucking (financial) idiot, but between that, my not covered meds, and paying out of pocket for other medical stuff I gotta see if my "shared responsibility" (lololol) fine would be cheaper than paying for other people's medical care while getting fuck all in return.

E: or just get an HSA I guess.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:38:53 PM by Vularai »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #641 on: May 29, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Just realized that I haven't had nachos in over 2 years.  Now all I can think about is nachos and its 10:40PM and nothing is open.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #642 on: May 30, 2015, 12:03:33 AM »
Just realized that I haven't had nachos in over 2 years.  Now all I can think about is nachos and its 10:40PM and nothing is open.

Live in a country with no Taco Bell, brehs

:'(

Kara

« Reply #643 on: May 30, 2015, 12:42:22 AM »
Pissant foreign banks that can't regurgitate bank statements from a year ago when asked to.

Gimme Helvetica any day over dis shyt.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #644 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:41 AM »
In the past week I've gotten calls from three of the people I mentor in a panic because they see the market is turning for them in bad ways.
I feel bad for them.

The second tech bubble is going to be bursting soon.  Is it going to be one of those things where people are going to pretend they didn't see it coming?
🍆🍆

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #645 on: May 30, 2015, 01:31:36 AM »
I feel bad for them.

The second tech bubble is going to be bursting soon.  Is it going to be one of those things where people are going to pretend they didn't see it coming?
My concern is not that it's going to burst. It's that it already has.
que

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #646 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »

Today is actually the official release date of Splatoon, so I'm sure a lot of those grotesque creatures ended up venturing out into the light of day for the first time in a very long time  :kobeyuck

Venturing outside has left them a lot of impressions

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #647 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
Spent an hour looking for my keys this morning.

They were in the car.
YMMV

studyguy

« Reply #648 on: May 30, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
At work on a saturday
:fbm
pause

Kara

« Reply #649 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »

Venturing outside has left them a lot of impressions

I didn't know Vularai even played Splatoon. :sabu

Pls, I play the most hypercapitalist fps conceived by our depraved species.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Pls, I play the most hypercapitalist fps conceived by our depraved species.
Without the FPS qualifier and you posting in other threads it could be impossible to know what game you were talking about.

Kara

« Reply #651 on: May 30, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
I am playing EVE atm too. :hitler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #652 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Ate a whole shitty pizza. 

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #653 on: May 30, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Bought the cats a bag of treats last night and just woke up to find it torn apart and empty on the ground. :brazilcry Must have left it out while drunk.

Kara

« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »
Speaking of New Eden, this made me think of you benji-kun. :-*

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/home-guard-and-state-peacekeepers-attack-defenseless-protestors-concord-intervenes-too-late

For reference, New Caldari is ostensibly anarcho-capitalist and the skeleton of a government created by a bunch of businesses enjoys no monopoly on violence.

benjipwns

« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2015, 02:36:20 PM »
Speaking of New Eden, this made me think of you benji-kun. :-*

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/home-guard-and-state-peacekeepers-attack-defenseless-protestors-concord-intervenes-too-late

For reference, New Caldari is ostensibly anarcho-capitalist and the skeleton of a government created by a bunch of businesses enjoys no monopoly on violence.
Few games do compelling political cultures that seem to have developed realistically, Alpha Centauri and EVE are two exceptions that seemed to have time put into them having backstory, especially when you factor in the real humans of EVE who log their own corporate history and include some of that.

Caldari sounds designed more like a slippery slope version of Japan's zaibatsu and keiretsu concepts. The wiki thing there says that the corporations have established control over their territories, which would more or less make them state equivalents. And they're heavily vertically integrated with the uppermost corporation really just being higher management of the overall corporate system. And they're into all sorts of industries.

Borderlands, despite having no blatantly front-facing story, essentially sketches out a lore where the harsh Pandora is the result of corporations taking over a planet and then bailing on it after extracting everything of value that didn't kill them. The cannon fodder bandits being the criminals used as slave labor who were left behind.

Anyway, my favorite part of that EVE story is the CEO of the competing corporation saying that the one who killed people should instigate an internal criminal tribunal against itself under its own corporate law.

Kara

« Reply #656 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
I said ostensibly. I swear I have to hit you people over the head sometimes. :beli

It meets my standards for ancap--before Tibus Heth's coup at least--but I recognize that the borders of Scotland are a point of debate.
[close]

The "real world" analogue to the Caldari is Meiji Japan, yeah--they even hammer you over the head with it by using names like "Ishukone" despite them being space cacs and structuring each megacorp around a bank, which is more keiretsu than zaibatsu I suppose but WHATEVER. (The Gallente are Belle Epoque France, the Amarr are the Spanish Empire, and the Minmatar are, well, generic oppressed peoples™ if anyone cares which I know you don't.)

I played the game when it was new so coming back to it has been cool in the sense that the empires have changed, giving it that living feel. The obvious one I can think of is a former Amarr fiefdom that seceded reuniting with the Empire and the Caldari reclaiming Caldari Prime which is in the same solar system as Gallente Prime and was lost in their initial war of national corporate liberation.

benjipwns

« Reply #657 on: May 30, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
I swear I have to hit you people over the head sometimes. :beli
Come see the violence inherent in the system.

And by that I mean the local star system, with Sol supposedly at the center.

Kara

benjipwns

« Reply #659 on: May 30, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »
I'm putting a proposal to scrap the Federal Reserve for this interesting Corporate Scrip system in my platform for Township Drain Commissioner.

Especially the currency boards.

Do you know when the Caldari Funds Unlimited stuff was written? It makes me laugh in that crying in a fetal position at reality way.