Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082638 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #3060 on: March 19, 2020, 11:14:22 PM »
:pimp
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #3061 on: March 19, 2020, 11:32:28 PM »
Every business in California suddenly realizing how essential they are

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Corona Thread |OT| A lot of good things are going to happen.
« Reply #3062 on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:40 PM »
Our online public speaking courses do things like make it where the assignments are to go find random people and give the speech to them and they sign a thing for you confirming you delivered it.
My professor is one of those tech fascists and I found out today I have to record a speech in front of four adults. I don't even know four adults.
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3063 on: March 19, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »
So how many Boreans got the Corona already? 3?

Himu

« Reply #3064 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
Brehs, basing this on tax is a bad idea. I didn't make much in 2018. I'm worried.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3065 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:02 PM »
It seems way too low. 150k for a couple might seem like a lot in Arkansas but in the bay area with kids? You po'.
que

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3066 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:28 PM »
Brehs, basing this on tax is a bad idea. I didn't make much in 2018. I'm worried.

lol another biden supporter with their hands out suck it
:O

Himu

« Reply #3067 on: March 19, 2020, 11:48:44 PM »

lol another biden supporter with their hands out suck it

Shut up.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3068 on: March 19, 2020, 11:53:08 PM »
Curry favor. Right. They also sent them to America. Piss off you corporate news suck fucks.
IYKYK

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #3069 on: March 19, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
Several cruise ships with passengers still stranded at sea

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ships-stranded-as-ports-close-coronavirus/

In one of the most extreme cases, British line P&O Cruises on Wednesday announced its 2,388-passenger Arcadia would be forced to travel more than 8,000 miles from its current location near the southern tip of Africa to the U.K. to get passengers off the vessel. South Africa denied the line’s request to let passengers disembark in Cape Town.

The voyage will take more than three weeks.

:o

Norwegian Cruise Line is facing troubles with two ships. In addition to Norwegian Jewel, the line’s 1,996-passenger Norwegian Spirit is still at sea after being turned away from several ports in the Indian Ocean. It recently had been heading to Cape Town, South Africa. But, as P&O Cruises discovered this week, South Africa no longer is accepting cruise vessels.

:doge
:O

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #3070 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:17 AM »
The COO of one of our big supermarket chains said that their sales for the last three weeks have been the equivalent of the week leading into Christmas. There is plenty of stock, but it is a distribution problem and a shelf stocking problem.

STOP. FUCKING. PANIC. BUYING. YOU. DUMB. CUNTS.

if you go into hyperinflation because your country is printing a trillion dollars a month over 18 months just for the public to survive and a loaf of bread costs $100, you'll be glad you panic bought and froze a bunch of food now
Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Bebpo

« Reply #3072 on: March 20, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »
Starting to hear more and more from people wondering if this is it, the societal collapse and end of the world and we're all just meme-ing it and messaging each other kinda hoping it'll be ok.
I dunno, I mean it's easy to blow off that kinda end of society/world talk, but as things go it's sorta like "but what if this is it"

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #3073 on: March 20, 2020, 12:20:15 AM »
Starting to hear more and more from people wondering if this is it, the societal collapse and end of the world and we're all just meme-ing it and messaging each other kinda hoping it'll be ok.
I dunno, I mean it's easy to blow off that kinda end of society/world talk, but as things go it's sorta like "but what if this is it"

WW2 has to have been worse than this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:50:05 AM by EightBitNate »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3074 on: March 20, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »

Nah. Spanish flu infected 25% of the world population and killed as many as 100 million people, but the world eventually moved on. As bad as this is, and could be, medical technology, hygiene, and knowledge of how viruses spread of far beyond what was available in 1918.

Or, if you wanna go back even further, the Black Death is estimated to have killed more than 20% of the people in the world at the time.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #3075 on: March 20, 2020, 12:31:41 AM »
Oh, I'm not even talking about the deaths from the virus. More the world collapsing as society even worse than the great depression and no way out for most people.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3076 on: March 20, 2020, 12:35:09 AM »
Society didn't even collapse during the Great Depression. Or the Long Depression.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3077 on: March 20, 2020, 12:37:37 AM »
it will be the end of the world as in the world that we knew

benjipwns

« Reply #3078 on: March 20, 2020, 12:40:12 AM »
My professor is one of those tech fascists and I found out today I have to record a speech in front of four adults. I don't even know four adults.
What you need to do is force your way into an old folks home!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3079 on: March 20, 2020, 12:45:13 AM »
They'll never find my Windows Phone.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #3080 on: March 20, 2020, 12:45:35 AM »
I'm the proud owner of an e-mail stating that my job next week is to "I don't know whatever"

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3081 on: March 20, 2020, 12:46:20 AM »
Oh, I'm not even talking about the deaths from the virus. More the world collapsing as society even worse than the great depression and no way out for most people.
Dude, the Spanish Flu broke out during the worst war the world had ever seen, and was followed a couple of decades later by the ACTUAL worst war the world ever saw.
Not that it was fun times, granted.

shosta

« Reply #3082 on: March 20, 2020, 12:47:30 AM »
Overt violence is the breakdown of civil society :ufup
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #3083 on: March 20, 2020, 12:50:27 AM »
Like if some extremist web forum decides to start an uprising to kill some U.S. Senators?

Leadbelly

« Reply #3084 on: March 20, 2020, 12:52:54 AM »
So how many Boreans got the Corona already? 3?

I don't think I have it. I kind of hope I already have it or had it and I am just asymptomatic. Because I can't see any way around it. Either this week or next week, the chances are high I will get it. Mainly because of work.

shosta

« Reply #3085 on: March 20, 2020, 12:54:17 AM »
Like if some extremist web forum decides to start an uprising to kill some U.S. Senators?
"Your honor, allow me to show you Exhibit A, a forum post by user filler that simply said: 'BAN THE SENATORS AND KILL THEM!' It received 24 likes. This is a den of terrorism."
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #3087 on: March 20, 2020, 01:08:53 AM »
IN RECENT WEEKS, investment bankers have pressed health care companies on the front lines of fighting the novel coronavirus, including drug firms developing experimental treatments and medical supply firms, to consider ways that they can profit from the crisis.

The media has mostly focused on individuals who have taken advantage of the market for now-scarce medical and hygiene supplies to hoard masks and hand sanitizer and resell them at higher prices. But the largest voices in the health care industry stand to gain from billions of dollars in emergency spending on the pandemic, as do the bankers and investors who invest in health care companies.

Over the past few weeks, investment bankers have been candid on investor calls and during health care conferences about the opportunity to raise drug prices. In some cases, bankers received sharp rebukes from health care executives; in others, executives joked about using the attention on Covid-19 to dodge public pressure on the opioid crisis.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-vaccine-medical-supplies-price-gouging/

:sheik

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3088 on: March 20, 2020, 01:13:50 AM »
So far the big factors it seems are:

obesity
serious underlying conditions of the heart and lungs

that covers a lot of people

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3089 on: March 20, 2020, 01:18:36 AM »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3090 on: March 20, 2020, 01:21:10 AM »
on a slightly related note, I don't understand but masks seem so aesthetic to me now :noah

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3091 on: March 20, 2020, 01:29:29 AM »
Yeah I'm not taking part in the fear and panic bs but if you or your loved ones can't wait for things to get back to "normal" you might be in for a rough time. There is going to be a new normal.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3092 on: March 20, 2020, 01:31:24 AM »
States being more powerful seems like the obvious course going forward.
If even some American GOPers have floated the nationalize option this early, we're getting bigger gov

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #3093 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200317/mild-cases-may-be-driving-coronavirus-spread

The study has profound implications for the spread of the disease within the U.S. Researchers in Seattle, who have been studying genomes of the virus isolated from people with known infections, have estimated that the virus has been quietly circulating here for about 8 weeks.

Based on the study’s findings, Shaman said the 150,000 confirmed infections worldwide probably represent just the tip of a much larger iceberg.

“We’re probably approaching close to a million infections globally,” he said. “Generally, you’re looking at about an order of magnitude more cases than have been confirmed.”

Makes sense, spread by barely symptomatic people would enable rapid growth and dispersion.
Means some people had a cold or particularly potent cold that wasn't really a cold and they spread it over months. Unconcerned because Trump and co were denying it until like last week.

Himu

« Reply #3094 on: March 20, 2020, 01:39:41 AM »
Y'all. I don't want to go to work and even consider the chance of getting this shit.

I don't know what to do. My job doesn't give paid leave, we are one of the few businesses allowed to operate despite others being on lockdown. Real talk, I do not want to go to work tomorrow.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3095 on: March 20, 2020, 02:14:37 AM »
/Channel4News/status/1240370011488862216

JUST TAKE IT ON ME CHIN M8
It's frustrating to see so many people not understand that it's not only about them.

bluemax

« Reply #3096 on: March 20, 2020, 02:50:46 AM »
Every business in California suddenly realizing how essential they are

My dog's daycare emailed me to let me know they consider themselves essential!

Yeah, I honestly just don't expect things to go back to how they were a few months ago whenever this ends. I don't expect a total collapse (but maybe I will in a week), but this is still some kind of inflection point in history.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:58:07 AM by bluemax »
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3097 on: March 20, 2020, 03:01:45 AM »
 :fbm

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3098 on: March 20, 2020, 03:14:59 AM »
The head of the infectious diseases at the Bichat hospital in Paris said on the radio that lockdown should in his opinion lasts 6 weeks or more.

It's hard to imagine it won't last at least a month.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3099 on: March 20, 2020, 03:43:30 AM »
The French Health Minister said we used to have a stock of 1 billion surgery masks and 600 million FFP2 masks as a guideline. After the H1N1 scare, it was decided we didn't need to stockpile and that the global market could provide.

:isthis
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3100 on: March 20, 2020, 04:06:44 AM »
There's now officially more deaths in Italy [3,405] than in China [3,130], though I wouldn't necessarily take the Chinese numbers at face value.
Here's a convoy of army trucks, carrying the bodies out of Bergamo, because there's too many for them to process and dispose of:

#gottajusttakeitonthechin.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3102 on: March 20, 2020, 04:50:26 AM »

:stahp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3104 on: March 20, 2020, 06:18:06 AM »
...And how are they going to disinfect those facemasks if someone sick/virus'd sewed one? :doge :doge :doge :brain :brain :brain :brain

(I know how they'd do it, I'm more nit-picking/making fun of the fact that it seems like a bad idea to ask the public for that)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3105 on: March 20, 2020, 06:26:00 AM »
...And how are they going to disinfect those facemasks if someone sick/virus'd sewed one? :doge :doge :doge :brain :brain :brain :brain

(I know how they'd do it, I'm more nit-picking/making fun of the fact that it seems like a bad idea to ask the public for that)

Home made masks should be for the individual using it.

Entering the tramway with a homeless man shouting "We love Corona" (in English). Yare yare daze...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3106 on: March 20, 2020, 06:49:37 AM »
French Ministry of Economy asking companies to give a 1000 euros bonus (tax free) if they can. Only works for employees with a contract specifying some sort of profit sharing. That's a leftover / mutation of a measure passed last year to facilitate an exceptional bonus to mollify people during the Yellow Vest movements.
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #3107 on: March 20, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »
Germany threatening the people with a curfew. as I said earlier, I think the vast majority of people are following the guidelines, but there always some exceptions. i don’t think a complete lockdown is needed or appropriate, but I think it will happen regardless.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

nudemacusers

« Reply #3109 on: March 20, 2020, 07:43:20 AM »
Where are my coronabux at... sales are ending soon  :shaking
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3112 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »

Good.  let's try to make the next one better. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #3113 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »
Not to be grim but that thing could wreck Africa, maybe India, the less wealthy Asian countries and possibly South America. I would expect we'll emerge from this with at least a year long severe control of immigration into the "Global North" and the far right will cream at this with the argument that "Well we did it... Why not continue ?".
ὕβρις

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3114 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »

Good.  let's try to make the next one better. 

(Image removed from quote.)
Lesson 1: Cut down the whole amazon forest, to make more toilet paper to sell on Amazon.

Leadbelly

« Reply #3115 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
So the UK has jumped from 590 reported cases to 3269 in 7 days. Obviously the real figure is way more than that.

Himu

« Reply #3116 on: March 20, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
As someone that had asthma as a kid I'm starting to get worried about getting this.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3117 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
Persistent rumors of national guard being deployed in the US to enforce a quarantine. I have a hard time seeing Trump wanting to be the President that has that on him though.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3118 on: March 20, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »
https://business.financialpost.com/financial-times/do-i-quarantine-in-the-hamptons-the-rich-flee-on-private-jets-seek-expensive-concierge-medical-services

As coronavirus spreads through New York City, Dr Kruger is in fact doing a roaring trade. “This last month has just been insane,” he said. “I’m getting 75 calls a day, asking: ‘Do I quarantine myself in the Hamptons? Do I stay in the city?’”

The wealthiest Americans may separate themselves through concierge healthcare services like the one operated by Dr Kruger. They can provide instant access to primary care physicians in luxurious settings and, he claims, a test for coronavirus — although not one using one of the government’s officially-authorised kits. Not unlike private jets, they may also allow the wealthy to bypass crowded emergency rooms and so reduce their risk of infection.

But once they are sick, it is not clear that such services will spare them from the same public health maths to which everyone else is now subject. (The equation might be even worse in a place like Aspen, which is now suffering its own outbreak but has limited healthcare facilities.)

At that point, patients will require hospitalisation in an intensive care unit, and possibly a ventilator to help them breathe. With the rarest of exceptions in America, that is still determined by medical need. “Once you are sick and in the hospital,” said Dr Blumenthal, “whether you have concierge medicine or not is not relevant.” Given the shortages of hospital beds and medical equipment being forecast by authorities, money may not much matter.

“You can’t find . . . ventilators no matter how much you’re willing to pay right now,” said Andrew Cuomo, the New York governor.

Ironically enough, the first reports of the virus in Suffolk were from a Southampton college student who was studying abroad in Italy and brought it here.
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #3119 on: March 20, 2020, 10:44:46 AM »
Persistent rumors of national guard being deployed in the US to enforce a quarantine. I have a hard time seeing Trump wanting to be the President that has that on him though.

National Guard is being deployed to help with logistics. Which happens pretty much anytime a state of emergency is declared in any circumstances.
That I'd understand. These rumors are more along the lines of 'patrolling the streets making sure people don't leave their house.'
I don't think any republican president wants that on their hands.
que