Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 246140 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #2641 on: June 10, 2020, 03:45:22 PM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #2642 on: June 10, 2020, 04:44:14 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2643 on: June 10, 2020, 05:02:29 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2644 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:06 PM »
Hillbillies can't catch a break - when one goes flying into the crowd.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2645 on: June 10, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »
This was just the kind of break that funny cars and monster truck rallies needed to increase their fanbases.

Also: odds on this not actually being enforced by the various Nascar-heavy stadiums?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2646 on: June 10, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Justice June hitting NASCAR :titus
每天生气

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2647 on: June 10, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »
Boy talk about a second civil war. A certain type of person is about to go apeshit over taking away the beloved confederate flag.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2648 on: June 10, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
man this confrontation is looooooong overdue. the hillbilly tears are gonna be so fucking glorious tho

even still i can't help but feel real uneasy about all this. all these hardline corporate positions are getting moved just like that? i don't trust it.
pcp

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2649 on: June 10, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »
Won’t be long until Trump’s on twitter complaining about how this infringes the 1st amendment rights of many fine americans.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #2650 on: June 10, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Amazon pausing the use of their facial recognition system to police...

Fucking finally, only for a year, but they should have never started selling that data to begin with.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2651 on: June 10, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
Amazon pausing the use of their facial recognition system to police...

Fucking finally, only for a year, but they should have never started selling that data to begin with.

can't stop Clearview AI though, they're completely unscrupulous and just shrug and let anyone use it

the ACLU just sued them though
Uncle

shosta

« Reply #2652 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:32 AM »
I think this is like Michael from The Office except it's "I... declare... order!!!!!"
每天生气

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2655 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:54 AM »

shosta

« Reply #2656 on: June 11, 2020, 12:37:38 AM »
:dead
每天生气

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2657 on: June 11, 2020, 01:04:00 AM »
Can’t wait for Big Dick Daddy riotous to show them who’s boss  :lawd
Margs

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2658 on: June 11, 2020, 01:46:00 AM »
QED

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #2659 on: June 11, 2020, 01:57:21 AM »
Raz or the twitter dude?
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #2660 on: June 11, 2020, 01:59:38 AM »
the video i saw was more like this guy was talking to this kid then smacks the camera out his hand. HES A WARLORD.

it's like when i saw people outraged over these extremely violent proud bois v antifa fights. turned out it was little more than 2 neckbeards slapping eachother (while a lot of ppl yelled at eachother).
◕‿◕

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #2661 on: June 11, 2020, 02:43:37 AM »
Raz and I were regulars at a bar in the area
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:52:41 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

naff

« Reply #2662 on: June 11, 2020, 03:22:16 AM »
4:50

bystander *something indistinguishable*

bystander 2 / camera man? : "omg my partner would love that he's a furry"

speaker 1: "omg i've been told i am!"

alright, show's over. they're taking over the streets. bring in the national guard.

◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2663 on: June 11, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
Sounds like the US is falling apart and needs some UN peacekeepers to restore order  :putin

spoiler (click to show/hide)
seriously venezuela, iraq etc should put forward such a UN resolution for shits and giggles
[close]
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2664 on: June 11, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »
lmao who is running to the internet to snitch on this dude and put his name out everywhere

why don't we have a karen emote
[close]
pcp

BisMarckie

« Reply #2665 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »

why don't we have a karen emote
[close]

: karen :karen

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2666 on: June 11, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
we need the karen cut on  :social

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #2667 on: June 11, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
is there enough room in those six blocks to provide accomodation for the entire population of resetera, who will no doubt be flooding there in droves to see their utopia bloom into greatness?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2668 on: June 11, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2669 on: June 11, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2670 on: June 11, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2671 on: June 11, 2020, 11:10:15 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

The United States spends about $14,000 per student, which is a lot more than the OCED average.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2672 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
But that says nothing about how that is distributed or the efficiency of that money. 

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2673 on: June 11, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »
But that says nothing about how that is distributed or the efficiency of that money.
Has nothing to do with the point of the comic.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2674 on: June 11, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »

:crazy :mindblown

Japanese public broadcaster NHK apologized on Tuesday and deleted from its Twitter account an animated video aimed at explaining the background behind U.S. protests for police reform, but which instead sparked online outrage for its depiction of African Americans.

The 1:21 minute clip, which NHK had also broadcast on its Sunday evening program "Sekai no Ima" ("The World Now"), featured a tough-talking black narrator citing the wealth disparity between black and white Americans and the economic impact from the coronavirus.

But it made no mention of police brutality or the death of George Floyd, a black man who died on May 25 after being pinned by the neck for nine minutes by a white officer's knee, which sparked the latest protests.

In the clip, the narrator's bodybuilder-like muscles were bursting out of a white tank top, while other African-American characters included a man with an afro and mutton chop sideburns, and a muscular man in a sleeveless purple suit, fedora-style hat and sandals strumming a guitar.

"While we understand @NHK's intent to address complex racial issues in the United States, it's unfortunate that more thought and care didn't go into this video," the interim head of the U.S. embassy in Tokyo, Joseph M. Young, said on Twitter. "The caricatures used are offensive and insensitive."

NHK said it had decided to take down the tweet after receiving a lot of criticism and that it had posted the video with a "lack of consideration".

"We apologize to those who were made to feel uncomfortable," the broadcaster said on Twitter.

The video had been viewed more than one million times as of midday Tuesday on the programme's @nhk_sekaima Twitter account.

Tennis star Naomi Osaka retweeted the video with a GIF expressing bewilderment.

"This is awful. I'm embarrassed to say I'm Japanese when I see this," tweeted another user, @emiliharatatani. "Do you know what is happening in America now?!"

@CheetosOnToast called it "racist" and "discriminatory".

Baye McNeil, a Japan-based African-American author and activist, said the clip showed the need for local broadcasters to educate themselves.

"Any child who looks at that video will walk away from it feeling, 'Yeah, maybe these people have been treated unfairly... but they're big and awful and scary!'" he told Reuters before the video was removed. "How can they (NHK) think people are going to be sympathetic to the people being oppressed after watching that video?"
ど助平

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2675 on: June 11, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »

The United States spends about $14,000 per student, which is a lot more than the OCED average.

That's mostly just the US having higher GDP per capita + Baumol's cost disease.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2676 on: June 11, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1271062068238651392

:lol

Wow so easy to beat up defenseless people with no weapons
🤴

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2677 on: June 11, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »

chicago closed down like 50 schools and gave the police budget a gigantic boost
pcp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2678 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
American schools also provide like a million societal functions they shouldn’t like feeding poor kids

shosta

« Reply #2679 on: June 11, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
I went down the street to the highschool to caucus and I was shocked to see that the boys' bathroom had something like a metal pan bolted to the wall for a makeshift sink, no mirrors, and broken tiling in places. Felt like I was in a third world country. The teachers are so underpaid they went on strike last year. The sister of someone I was dating is a teacher here and told me some of the conditions they had to put up with and I was kind flabbergasted because my highschool experience ten years ago was way better than that in retrospect. There are a lot of underfunded schools in this country.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2680 on: June 11, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
American schools also provide like a million societal functions they shouldn’t like feeding poor kids

Our local school has been doing summer food programs for the past few years (also during the pandemic), because there are kids that basically don't eat when school's not in session.
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2681 on: June 11, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »

chicago closed down like 50 schools and gave the police budget a gigantic boost
Are boards not supposed to close schools when enrollment decreases significantly? A decade ago there were 407,000 students enrolled in the Chicago board and now there are 361,314.

And despite decreasing enrollment, the budget is still going up. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/28/20837745/school-board-oks-7-7-billion-budget-largest-in-history It's not an either or.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2682 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
Universal free breakfast and lunch at public schools (with programs extending that into the summer) would be cool.

"school lunch debt" gtfo

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2683 on: June 11, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »

That's mostly just the US having higher GDP per capita + Baumol's cost disease.
You're right, but if you factor in GDP, it still puts the US at the OECD average. Sixth highest GDP per capita, 5th most spent per student. 

shosta

« Reply #2684 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
Have you ever been to an American primary or secondary school? Real question.
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2685 on: June 11, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
right because good lord this money is not being spent on students, teachers, or materials that's for damn sure
pcp

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2686 on: June 11, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
Have you ever been to an American primary or secondary school? Real question.

I rejected the premise of the comic: that schools are underfunded or closing because the money is going to pay the police. A) The US spends less on police than the EU when GDP is factored. B) The US spends at least as much as OECD countries on education per student when GDP is taken into account.

At no time, however, did I say many US schools aren't shit.

To answer your question: no. 

shosta

« Reply #2687 on: June 11, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »
well I'm glad we agree, the US should reprioritize schools over police departments
每天生气

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2688 on: June 11, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »
Not a fan of “actually” arguments when it comes to an overcrowded school system having to do more with less in the face of ballooning budgets for police municipalities filled with FPS dougs wanting to larp at war while on the job.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #2689 on: June 11, 2020, 01:18:06 PM »
hello i am a pedant and i have come to save you from your tired bickering
pcp

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #2690 on: June 11, 2020, 01:29:51 PM »
God forbid that you have to show that the premises upon which your arguments are based are actually true.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2691 on: June 11, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
I think you're being unfair to malek, but he's expecting nuance out of a comic strip. So, I don't know if I can defend him totally.

Anyways, my limited perspective about  schools in America is that they prioritize learning tools over teachers/building maintenance. Then the teachers/administrators feel compelled to fill out budgets every year with marginally useful materials in order to keep those budgets maintained. There's a lot of waste because of this.  They'd rather spend 100k on smartboards or other tech instead of hiring a new teacher or upgrading a facility.

But that's my tiny perspective in a system that has 10000 different districts and 50 different states all pulling in different directions. It makes it hard to generalize when youre talking about this frankenstein of a system that has been created over the past 70+ years.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2692 on: June 11, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »
I’m not trying to be a dick about it, it’s just something rather personal for me considering there was a couple years in elementary(primary) school where I relied on those free lunches.  My takeaway from the comic is a general “police get money to police troublemakers, some who might be troublemakers because their schooling needs weren’t attended to in a push to ‘save money’.  Maybe if schools have more to support their kids, less of those kids will decide that crime is their best option to make it, and police wouldn’t feel like they need more to do their job.”

Tuckers Law

« Reply #2693 on: June 11, 2020, 02:13:22 PM »
Apologies to Flannel for the snark, and apologies to everyone for the care post. 

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2694 on: June 11, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »
My wife is a public school teacher and while she easily spends 400-500 OOP for her classroom, it's usually related to special events and incentives for the kids. She's not reaching into her pocket to buy general supplies.  Also, the Government realizes this and offers a 250 tax credit to all educators to cover some of this. It should be 4x that.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2696 on: June 11, 2020, 03:52:29 PM »

schools are as much childcare institutions as vehicles for education so we might as well just make them actually good at that function also.

:idont

I’m all for it, no one else doing it. Just saying it’s not fair to compare what we spend on schools per student when our schools are responsible for much more than schooling in their communities

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2697 on: June 11, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
Anyways, my limited perspective about  schools in America is that they prioritize learning tools over teachers/building maintenance. Then the teachers/administrators feel compelled to fill out budgets every year with marginally useful materials in order to keep those budgets maintained. There's a lot of waste because of this.  They'd rather spend 100k on smartboards or other tech instead of hiring a new teacher or upgrading a facility.

yeah, some of this isn't even under control of the school or the school system, just moronic budgetary/bureaucratic realities

you have ten money buckets and you can't take money out of the widgets bucket and put it into the staffing bucket, instead you have to spend all of the money in the widgets bucket otherwise you've proven that you will never need that much widget money in the future, likewise for every other budget
:beli
Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2698 on: June 11, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
America:

Justice system: Fucked
Education system: Fucked
Healthcare system: Fucked
Voting system: Fucked