Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083305 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13860 on: October 21, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
Carnivale was the first near-criminal abandonment HBO engaged in. I recall Deadwood may have been simultaneous or the second one. Pretty much everyone remembered how Sopranos had taken time to find its feet, and felt these beloved shows were safe. They were not.
Carnivale was the year before but both were part of HBO wanting to cut the costs, Carnivale especially was expensive and the way it was setup a third and fourth season were wanted storywise but they couldn't find any way to do it with the budget HBO wanted...that was the same situation for Deadwood, they wanted to cut the budget in half which led to them offering a half season and Milch countering with the movies...the problem with that being HBO, of all channels, claiming they didn't see a way to make the films work in their schedule and overall planning

The Sopranos started earlier than most of the other shows, 1999, it just had those 18 month gaps on both sides of season five and then the two part sixth season that pushed it another four years til the finale so it was still on with this other stuff. Oz was the only other drama on there at the time. Then they started up a bunch of them, Six Feet Under, The Wire, etc. Then they spent $100 million on Rome and suddenly needed to get back the money from elsewhere.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13861 on: October 21, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
I forgot that season 3 of Mr Robot is on the air  :hyper

I hope it's a bit less self-indulgent than the last season but otherwise I'm ready for the fuckery :hans1

Edit: That monologe halfway through episode 1 with the images of Putin, May and Trump was really corny and bad and exactly the kind of bullshit I was hoping Esmail would cut back on. Otherwise it's the same paranoid mayhem bordering on parody that was the last seasons and I like it. Surprisingly some things are actually being explained instead of dragging them along through half a season.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:33:15 PM by desert punk »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13862 on: October 21, 2017, 11:19:44 PM »
Mindhunter feels like Zodiac, which has always been my personal favourite Fincher movie, so I'm digging it.
zzzzz

Cryo

« Reply #13863 on: October 21, 2017, 11:34:56 PM »

I hope it's a bit less self-indulgent than the last season but otherwise I'm ready for the fuckery :hans1

Edit: That monologe halfway through episode 1 with the images of Putin, May and Trump was really corny and bad and exactly the kind of bullshit I was hoping Esmail would cut back on. Otherwise it's the same paranoid mayhem bordering on parody that was the last seasons and I like it. Surprisingly some things are actually being explained instead of dragging them along through half a season.
The pace of the first 2 episodes is pretty enthralling thus far, especially compared to how seasons 1 and 2 started off. I also felt the monologue was a tad corny but it was a necessary moment for Elliot and the viewer.

Have high hopes for this season after being a little worried at the end of S2.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13864 on: October 22, 2017, 12:55:15 AM »
Watched the first 5 episodes of mind hunter.

:lawd

That's the best show I've seen in awhile.

The crusty partner is my new hero.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13865 on: October 22, 2017, 03:11:33 AM »

The pace of the first 2 episodes is pretty enthralling thus far, especially compared to how seasons 1 and 2 started off. I also felt the monologue was a tad corny but it was a necessary moment for Elliot and the viewer.

Have high hopes for this season after being a little worried at the end of S2.

Yeah, the pacing is pretty good, at least compared to the first half of season 2. I also like that new fixer-type character, the one with the taxi who was making a scene at that burger shop. Deliciously corny that one :lol

And I hope we get to see more of Swedish Patrick Bateman again from now on :hyper

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13866 on: October 22, 2017, 03:20:20 AM »
I’m waiting for Mr Robot to finish the season before I look at it. The end of 2 was such a flopza that it’s nearly entirely off my radar.
serge

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #13867 on: October 22, 2017, 03:22:09 AM »
I’m waiting for Mr Robot to finish the season before I look at it. The end of 2 was such a flopza that it’s nearly entirely off my radar.

Yep.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13868 on: October 22, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »

Yep. I'm a few episodes in and its great

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13869 on: October 22, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
Anyone keeping up with Halt and Catch fire? How's the newest season?
:9

benjipwns

« Reply #13870 on: October 22, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
TVC, I thought of this while putting in my back order likes in the GAF thread and don't want it buried there.

Have you watched Bored To Death?

Vertigo

« Reply #13871 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
Anyone watching the Deuce?

Just about to watch the latest episode.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13872 on: October 22, 2017, 11:40:20 PM »
Anyone keeping up with Halt and Catch fire? How's the newest season?

If you enjoyed the other three: Solid. It actually pays off a plotline that started in season 2.

TVC15

« Reply #13873 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
TVC, I thought of this while putting in my back order likes in the GAF thread and don't want it buried there.

Have you watched Bored To Death?

Yes! Liked it quite a bit. That was before my Danson fetish, but I still thought he was great in it.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #13874 on: October 23, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
Second season Bored To Death was sooooo good. I felt like they had really hit their stride that season. And the third kinda backslid.

I loved the episode when Ted Danson and Zack Galifinackis had to save Jonathan from Jim Norton but they got too high first to calm their nerves.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13875 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »
I wish they wound up doing the movie :'(

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #13876 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:43 AM »

Best show of the year easily for me.

I’d fuck with a Mindhunter game in the style of LA Noire

Jerry

« Reply #13877 on: October 23, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
American Vandal had me in stitches.

Absolutely genius writing.
COYS

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13878 on: October 23, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »

Weeks later every time my wife and I see anything having to do with vandalism, spray paint, dicks or a whodunit style we ask each other "Who did the dicks?"

Jerry

« Reply #13879 on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »

Weeks later every time my wife and I see anything having to do with vandalism, spray paint, dicks or a whodunit style we ask each other "Who did the dicks?"

Its "Who drew the dicks" you absolute melt.
COYS

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13880 on: October 23, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Thanks Jerry!

Jerry

« Reply #13881 on: October 23, 2017, 08:38:34 AM »
Happy to help.

The CGI recreation of the handjob at the lake got me so good
COYS

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13882 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »

I quit S2 around half way through when

spoilers
spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's revealed nearly all of the post-S1 finale stuff has been an Elliot delusion/lie
[close]
I'll give it another try soon I guess

benjipwns

« Reply #13883 on: October 23, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
that's only Elliot's events, he's just the McGuffin of the show

season two's ending was killer, sure, tyrell was dramatic nonsense like in the first season, but literally everything else was great, including the stuff surrounding him like his wife's whole arc ("hello ollie"), and even angela's behavior when she gets the ending phone call was her final step to the side that knows more than elliot, including us

and Dom and Darlene :whew

"you gotta be fucking kidding me"

that should have been the ending scene, Tyrell shooting Elliot and Angela getting the call but being prepared should have been before it, then Dom's reveal about the entire season backwards, even though the scenes are inversely paced and shot it actually makes things more chaotic and dramatic to have that reveal come second
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #13884 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
Someone recap season 2 of Mr Robot for me. I watched it but I don't remember much about it.
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13885 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
that's only Elliot's events, he's just the McGuffin of the show

season two's ending was killer, sure, tyrell was dramatic nonsense like in the first season, but literally everything else was great, including the stuff surrounding him like his wife's whole arc ("hello ollie"), and even angela's behavior when she gets the ending phone call was her final step to the side that knows more than elliot, including us

and Dom and Darlene :whew

"you gotta be fucking kidding me"

that should have been the ending scene, Tyrell shooting Elliot and Angela getting the call but being prepared should have been before it, then Dom's reveal about the entire season backwards, even though the scenes are inversely paced and shot it actually makes things more chaotic and dramatic to have that reveal come second
[close]

yeah ppl give season 2 a hard time

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13886 on: October 23, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
don't use my posts to promote negativity please

benjipwns

« Reply #13887 on: October 23, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »
Yeah, they should have realized the show went to shit near the end of the first season.
It's okay though because the entire second season was better than the first. Especially the second half.

Sai

« Reply #13888 on: October 23, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
when the fuck is agents of shield back?
ilysm

« Reply #13889 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »
American Vandal started off great, but I was totally bored with it by the last two episodes.

when the fuck is agents of shield back?

When Inhumans is over.
野球

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13890 on: October 23, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
Curb you Enthusiasm and Vice Principles back to back is almost too much cringe to take in.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13891 on: October 24, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »
Most recent episode of The Deuce 👌 Feels more like Treme with its slow burn but then you have this particular explosive moment reminiscent of The Wire.

Tucah

« Reply #13892 on: October 24, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Deuce, Vice Principals and Curb is pretty much an ideal HBO lineup. Gonna be sad to have the Deuce go after this week, I've really loved having another Simon show on the air and it's generally been pretty great.

J Tourettes

« Reply #13893 on: October 24, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »

I need to try and watch that when I'm not tired. Fell asleep watching the first ep. I don't think that's a reflection on the show, merely the amount of overtime I've been doing.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #13894 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »
I watched both American Vandal and 13 Reasons Why and thought it was funny that the former - a satire and parody - did a better job showing a realistic depiction of the American high-school setting than the super serious suicide show.

nat

thisismyusername

« Reply #13895 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »

Yeah, they should have realized the show went to shit near the end of the first season.

Fuck off. Season 3 has been pretty fire so far.  Season 2 was a misstep, to be sure. But so far it feels like Sam knows what people didn't like about season 2 and is avoiding it in season 3.

"Don't mistake my generosity for generosity."
"I'm done speaking to you."

https://v.redd.it/zaduye452gtz <---This scene in particular (top half)

When Inhumans is over.

So in two days, then.

« Reply #13896 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »

Fuck off. Season 3 has been pretty fire so far.  Season 2 was a misstep, to be sure. But so far it feels like Sam knows what people didn't like about season 2 and is avoiding it in season 3.

"Don't mistake my generosity for generosity."
"I'm done speaking to you."

https://v.redd.it/zaduye452gtz <---This scene in particular (top half)

When Inhumans is over.

So in two days, then.

Guess not. December 1st.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13897 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
Agent of Shield is probably going to get cancelled soon.

« Reply #13898 on: October 24, 2017, 12:55:50 PM »
Need to catch up with The Deuce, but HBO On Demand for some reason doesn't have episode 3 available on Comcast, and it's not airing again until this Sunday afternoon. Odd.

Agent of Shield is probably going to get cancelled soon.

A lot of people figure this is the last season since it's been given the Friday night kiss of death. Damn shame, it's been really good the last couple years.
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13899 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »
ABC wanted to cancel it but Disney has basically strong armed them to keep it on.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13900 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
A lot of people figure this is the last season since it's been given the Friday night kiss of death. Damn shame, it's been really good the last couple years.
The rough first 3/4 of season 1 helped no one, I dont think it ever really recovered mind space wise.

« Reply #13901 on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
The rough first 3/4 of season 1 helped no one, I dont think it ever really recovered mind space wise.

For sure.
野球

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #13902 on: October 24, 2017, 11:33:52 PM »
Last episode of Curb was one of the best in the last few seasons.

Quaker

« Reply #13903 on: October 25, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
Most recent episode of The Deuce 👌 Feels more like Treme with its slow burn but then you have this particular explosive moment reminiscent of The Wire.
Which moment were you thinking of?

studyguy

« Reply #13904 on: October 25, 2017, 12:52:37 AM »
American Horror Story this season just feels so on the nose with everything it's dull.
I don't mind the swerve to politics, but it's the most shallow boilerplate sorta shit with a distinct lack of spoopy that it sorta drowns the appeal.

Decided to finally sit down and watch American Gods, can't recall the last time I read it.
pause

thisismyusername

« Reply #13905 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »

Yeah, I never came back after the pilot was very... lower budget compared to the movies. The CGI car was just... bad.

Now that AoS will be canceled, does this mean Colson will come back to the MCU films with an "I got better" story/plotline for Nick Fury?

etiolate

« Reply #13906 on: October 25, 2017, 03:16:10 AM »
Agents of Shield struggled to just be mediocre.

Though I'm fine with Coulson coming back to the films.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13907 on: October 25, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »

:whew

Tasty

« Reply #13908 on: October 25, 2017, 04:09:06 AM »
That cover  :gladbron

Himu

« Reply #13909 on: October 25, 2017, 04:14:42 AM »
Agents of Shield is great. Shame it never got its due and people hate it.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13910 on: October 25, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
That cover  :gladbron
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13911 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »

Pimp getting shot, and the diner owner calling up the police and just saying "I just shot a nicca". Felt explosive and ice cold, wasnt expecting that from this show.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #13912 on: October 25, 2017, 11:03:58 AM »

Quaker

« Reply #13913 on: October 25, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »

Pimp getting shot, and the diner owner calling up the police and just saying "I just shot a nicca". Felt explosive and ice cold, wasnt expecting that from this show.
[close]
Awww, feeee-uck. I was curious because nothing came to mind off the top of my head and I thought I was up to date but I forgot I hadn't seen the episode from like two days ago yet.  :lol

Yeah, the show isn't really about big showy setpieces and the characters aren't really particularly "likeable" in the traditional sense so it's hard to hype up to others but I really appreciate just being in that almost Taxi Driver-era New York with dialogue that's deliberate and has obviously had some thought put behind it, even if it might rub others the wrong way as overly stylized, boring or bullshit("it's trying to hard to sound like the way people talk.")

I think I read somewhere that they want to get in and get out and have it worked out to be three seasons with the next going a little big further into the 70s and the last sometime in the 80s, which would be really cool.

P.S. If y'all like David Simon but haven't watched Show Me a Hero, check it out and stay until the end. I thought it was "pretty good"/"alright" until the last like 5 minutes drops a "hoooooly shit" bomb that makes the rest of the series resonate completely differently in retrospect.

Cryo

« Reply #13914 on: October 26, 2017, 12:13:09 AM »
MR ROBOT HOLY FUCK

I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS EPISODE

edit: if you were turned off by the plodding pace of season 2, the first 3 episodes are briskly paced or strongly character driven episodes that are tying up quite a few loose ends.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:55:31 AM by Cryo »

Tasty

« Reply #13915 on: October 26, 2017, 12:41:10 AM »
Should I watch it drunks? :thinking

Why not? :idont

« Reply #13916 on: October 26, 2017, 01:21:32 AM »
One more episode of Mindhunter to go. Loving this show but not thrilled with the direction it's taken in this last episode.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13917 on: October 26, 2017, 02:01:16 AM »

:whew

I am as in as I could possibly be. Women's rights, cowpokes, bad men, and rough justice.
:rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #13918 on: October 26, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »
BANG BANG :rejoice

HE SHOT ME DOWN :rejoice

I HIT THE GROUND :rejoice

THAT AWFUL SOUND :rejoice

MY BABY SHOT ME DOWN :rejoice

TVC15

« Reply #13919 on: October 26, 2017, 02:44:35 AM »
Holy shit. Riverdale entered the upper echelons of homosexuality tonight.

serge