Author Topic: Resistance 2 Thread  (Read 43834 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: Resistance 2 public beta sign-ups
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
Resistance 1 < Prey

Crusty toadshit > recycled demi commentary. On that topic though, why exactly has Prey gotten such a bum rep? It seemed pretty alright from what I played.

From what I recall, the 360 version was ported poorly. 

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:49 PM »
I hated that game. It was totally unbalanced with that death system and the end was so stupid with the flying mobile.
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2008, 11:30:04 PM »
The Prey demo on PC wasn't bad...then again all I remember was that I was some self-hating Native American who flew into a space ship while Don't Fear the Reaper played and they had somewhat amusing plays on perspective through that demo level.  Oh, and I did play the multiplayer in the demo a bit.  I remember finding an exploit and just destroying everyone else in death match.  Something tells me I didn't like it if I didn't buy it.

btw, did anyone else see the Resistance 2 cinematic?: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40754.html

I don't know exactly how to feel about it.  I watched it like 4 times now and while I think it is incredibly cheesy and bad, it has some weird charm to it.  It reminds me of the Predator for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:33:00 PM by swaggaz »

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2008, 02:22:19 AM »
The dialog seems hokey, but you have to admit, it's pretty neat how the dude chimera-growls under his breath while flashing those chimera eyes.

Jansen

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »
when does the public beta start?

duckman2000

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 04:50:01 PM »
"Early October"

Smooth Groove

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »
TVC ain't my boy anymore.  I know he can coerce another key out of G but he hasn't done so.   :-\

cool breeze

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 09:12:39 PM »
Apparently the beta starts this Thursday.  If I;m ever not lazy, I will head down to Gamestop and get my code to give away or something.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »
I got my code.

duckman2000

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
:punch Where the hell is my code

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2008, 05:22:36 PM »
Pre-ordered at Gamestop. Got the code. CODE INVALID. Fuck you Gamestop.
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2008, 05:55:14 PM »
I don't know why the beta isn't up yet, but I probably won't even bother playing in it at this rate.  Tuesday has Saints Row 2 and Dead Space.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
I don't know why the beta isn't up yet, but I probably won't even bother playing in it at this rate.  Tuesday has Saints Row 2 and Dead Space.

And SOCOM.
CBG

duckman2000

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2008, 07:04:24 PM »
I'll still play it. But it's getting to be ridiculous. The games launches in what, 2-3 weeks? Have they at least given a date for the beta roll-out?

cool breeze

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
Nope, and the game is out in under a month.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »

Same shit happened to me, make sure you include the dashes.

ManaByte

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »

Same shit happened to me, make sure you include the dashes.

I did. Code is still invalid.
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2008, 01:50:22 PM »
It seems like people are downloading the beta right now.  If the Qore version works for me, I probably will just give out my code here or something.  I'll see when I get home in 4 hours.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
It seems like people are downloading the beta right now.  If the Qore version works for me, I probably will just give out my code here or something.  I'll see when I get home in 4 hours.

I've got 1st dips. 

duckman2000

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »
The fuck, why haven't I gotten my code? I'm like the resident Insomniac apologist, damn it.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »
The fuck, why haven't I gotten my code? I'm like the resident Insomniac apologist, damn it.

Why pay you when you pimp for free? 

duckman2000

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
Well, if something happens here and I get excluded from the beta, Insomniac will go straight on the shitlist. Not their games, but the company. I'm an easily swayed man.

y2kev

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »
Downloading as slow as fuck.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
Don't you fucking complain about slow downloading  :punch

duckman2000

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »
Anyone else having trouble getting into account management to redeem the code? "An error has occurred"  :punch

cool breeze

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »
Great...the store is down.  I already have the gamestop code, but until I know the qore one works, i won't be giving anything away.

And for all your home fans out there you can now switch from a boring mall lobby to a boring Far Cry 2 Africa lobby!

duckman2000

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »
Infuriating, isn't it? From what I understand, it's a scheduled store maintenance, but do these fuckers not communicate or something?

cool breeze

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
you did read the socom news thread, didn't you?

btw, whats your PSN name? me, you, and 6 other EB crew should do co-op.

duckman2000

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
Yeah, the SOCOM deal is just plain embarrassing. I was wondering if we shouldn't get an EB squad together, but I play mostly late at night.

It's finally downloading :hyper
0%  :gloomy

y2kev

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 07:21:41 PM »
Game is ugly and sucks. Started it up, looked for other team, couldn't find them, got sniped, shut it off.
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
Nice impressions! DID YOU HAZ AWESOME?!

y2kev

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
I hate multiplayer shooters, god, why did i get hyped for this

oh yeah, COOP

OMG!! Can't wait to try that.
haw

cool breeze

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
what the fuck? it's over 2 gigs.  this is going to take a while.

duckman2000

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2008, 07:37:31 PM »
Oh yeah, my PSN id is Duckaduck

cool breeze

« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
That actually downloaded surprisingly fast, but I'm probably not going to play it since I have SR2 right now.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
Swaggaz, are you going to hook me up or what? 

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43:54 PM »
Where the fuck is my code, I plugged in my GS code a long ass time ago.

duckman2000

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »
Where the fuck is my code, I plugged in my GS code a long ass time ago.

I got mine a few hours after the first batch was sent out. I'm guessing they are doing this in waves, to prevent absolute congestion.

cool breeze

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
Swaggaz, are you going to hook me up or what? 

When/if I ever get the email, it's yours, but they haven't sent it yet.

Apparently others haven't gottenthe Qore email yet, so just wait on it or something.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:32:12 PM by swaggaz »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
What the fuck, I did the PS3 update but now when I try to connect to the store it says no ethernet cable is attached, and my wireless bridge does not light up.

I just downloaded the update so my internets definitely work. The bridge is powered by the PS3 through USB, could the update have changed that?

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »
Yup, I plugged the bridge into the wall and now it fucking works.

What the fuck sony, I can't power devices through USB anymore? ???

cool breeze

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »
I played some skirmish mode or something in multiplayer.  I didn't really understand everything going on, but from what I gathered I was running to a star on the hud and shooting the enemy.  It was a bit boring if only because our team had 8 people and the other team had 3.  It didn't help that there were two long rounds of this.  I didn't get a change to do co-op since the party I was in had too many players and I just left.  Well, I did do co-op with just y2kev for about 1 minute which led to both of getting slaughtered instantly by a hoard of enemies.  I don't think it is balanced for a few number of players.  Controls and all that are solid and you can tell that they were heavily influenced by CoD4 when it comes to controls (Melee is now on the right stick, aim is on L1).  Graphically I thought it looked a bit poor outside of the amazing water.  The water is basically like the glass from the first game; so random to have a good looking element there that it ends up looking much better by comparison.

I want to still try co-op later on.  I also think that with matched up teams the multiplayer will be a lot of fun.  It is slower paced than the first game and feels like a a good mix between Halo and CoD4.

y2kev

« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2008, 12:30:11 AM »
yeah it was fun but i just gave up at the end. there were two many players and i am not in the mood to coordinate so that we could each get two coop games going.

to be honest i was completely worthless in that coop attempt--I couldn't even remember how to grenade. if we tried again maybe we wouldn't get mauled.
haw

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2008, 12:32:52 AM »
where is my coooodddee

cool breeze

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2008, 12:38:15 AM »
yeah it was fun but i just gave up at the end. there were two many players and i am not in the mood to coordinate so that we could each get two coop games going.

to be honest i was completely worthless in that coop attempt--I couldn't even remember how to grenade. if we tried again maybe we wouldn't get mauled.

Well, they did change almost all the controls from Resistance 1, but I still didn't understand what you meant by not having a gun.  I guess they don't expect only two people to play, but considering you need the medic to heal and the class I was to refill ammo, how were you supposed to survive that way? one guy hangs back while the other one pops off shots and feeds himself ammo? I want to try again later.

And kind of random, but Kittonowy sounds like a mature guy.  I don't know if I'm surprised about that or not.

y2kev

« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:24 AM »
He has a kiddo I think. We should invite him here to partake in the greatness of eb. he's already here in spirit with such thread titles as "dead space is awesome wowsome"

I MIGHT have had a gun but I didn't get a chance to switch to it. The gun I was carrying was like the medic's gun in TF2...it was just a health hose.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:36 AM »
Not sure about this. I think I'm having a hard time getting the hang of things in this game is probably because I've played pretty much just COD4 for the past year, but there's something that doesn't mesh here. I don't think it's a flaw in the design, but I think maybe this type of gameplay isn't my thing these days. Or, at least not the large-scale, chaotic MP. The cooperative was pretty awesome, although that will probably improve tenfold when playing with a good group of people. People aren't very good medics, and that's being kind.

As for the visuals, it's a hell of a lot more detailed and technically more proficient than R1, but it somehow doesn't feel smooth enough. Couple that with this weird blurriness, and it feels a bit unpolished. It really makes a good case for the benefits of cutting some detail and aiming for 60fps. It honestly feels a bit cluttered right now, which is strange coming from Insomniac. I guess there's an admitted difference between SP and MP, which is fine given how much goes on at any given moment, but I'm not liking the glow.

The water is basically like the glass from the first game; so random to have a good looking element there that it ends up looking much better by comparison.

It seems to fit better in the SP footage. I noticed improvements pretty much everywhere; texture quality, lighting, foliage and of course the water. But it all seems to have come at a pretty high price what with all that blurry glow, and I'm not convinced that I like the current solution.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:41:38 AM by duckman2000 »

duckman2000

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2008, 01:50:40 AM »
Oh, and Insomniac should stick with the outlandish weapon designs. A mini-gun should rip people and aliens to shreds. It should mean certain death for anyone who enters the cone of hell. It should also look the part, as you fire it. If possible, demons and horsemen of doom should be visible in the muzzle flash, and smoke should billow out in the shapes of skulls. The Resistance 2 mini-gun feels like a fucking pellet-gun.

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
I got a code for this in the email this morning but im too busy with other games to bother...especially since a.) the full retail game comes out next month and b.) i mostly just like the campaign in Resistance (finished R1 4 times on normal and hard with both weapon sets.)

duckman2000

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I think I'm running into the same problems here as with Halo 3. I can't come to terms with having to pump a full clip (or more) into a dude in order to take him down. And I don't care who you are, a grenade launched and detonated right in your face should take you down. Again, I don't think this is a design issue, but I'm starting to think it's not for me these days. I guess I'll be sticking with SP and co-op.

y2kev

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
I definitely didn't find that was my experience, especially with the Marksman.
haw

duckman2000

« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »
Well, like I said, I don't think it's a design, I think I just need to distance myself from COD4 and Rainbow Six a bit more. I had the same problem with Uncharted when I played the demo of that game; I had just gotten done with another Gears of War playthrough, which made Uncharted feel real strange. I had to come to terms with the games being similar yet also very different.

cool breeze

« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
I agree that having to fill enemies with lead is a bit of annoying.  I wasn't a fan of it in Halo either, but I don't hate it or anything.  I think something like Crysis is the best where enemies can take straight hits to the chest and not die, but if you get some well placed shots in they get dropped instantly.  I might have to go back and test it again in Resistance 1, but I'm pretty sure people had less health in that game.

btw, you could always go to a 1 hit/1 kill server, but I'm not a big fan of those either.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
I awoke to find an email from Sony, eagerly clicked it, nope it's just info on their updated ToS. Still no beta code. By the time I get this shit I'll be too busy with Fable 2.

cool breeze

« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
I still haven't gotten the Qore beta code.  I don't know whats up with that.

cool breeze

« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:02 PM »
Co-op is amazing.  It made me more excited for the full R2 game and L4D while giving me sweet memories of all the time I played Sven coop in the past.  Only flaw is that with 8 players, the enemies can take massive amounts of damage.  The last two bosses took forever to kill.

duckman2000

« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2008, 01:58:49 PM »
Yep, co-op is definitely where it's at. If you have team mates who will actually revive you. The size of the co-op mission actually surprised me, and some of the choke points where just plain insane.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
Yep, co-op is definitely where it's at. If you have team mates who will actually revive you. The size of the co-op mission actually surprised me, and some of the choke points where just plain insane.

Sounds good.  We can easily get 8 guys here for Co-op. 

I don't have a headset or plan to buy one though.  Is that ok with you guys?  I'm just used to playing like that on the PC. 

y2kev

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
Damnit, Swaggz, I want to play! Later after my essays :(
haw

Smooth Groove

« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2008, 02:03:03 PM »
Kev, what's your major?