Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2085186 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #8640 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
I've always found The Boondocks to be very uneven.  :-\ MacGruder isn't that great at political/social satire.

I feel the same away about Veep. Opinions and all that.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #8641 on: April 22, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
is it necessary to watch every season of the shield?  I've watched the first season and I really just want to jump to season 5 based on the way this forum talks about it.

:what

leper this filth

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8642 on: April 22, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
is it necessary to watch every season of the shield?  I've watched the first season and I really just want to jump to season 5 based on the way this forum talks about it.

Being honest here. What's the point of watching it if you are going to skip most of the show?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I skipped most of Voyager and only watched a few episodes each season.  :-[ But I would argue that show is terrible by comparison and The Shield isn't.
[close]

The connections matter in the shield. The history of the characters matter. So by skipping ahead you are going to lose any meaningful emotions that would evoke. I would argue the show is probably worth skipping completely if it isn't doing it for you versus skipping the majority of it and then expecting any emotional involvement from the later seasons.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:39:16 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8643 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
The weight of events won't matter if you skip character development/getting to know people

leper this filth

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8644 on: April 22, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
Most of what makes the last few seasons of The Shield so good was how the prior schemes in season 2 and 3 got resolved. Season 4 is sort of self-contained but it has Glenn Close and is one of my favorite seasons.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #8645 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
I slogged through the first season but I can't really see myself investing in 7 seasons of the show.   Guess it's just not for me.   :yeshrug

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #8646 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
The close of The Shield :lawd

Best show ending of all time.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8647 on: April 22, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
The close of The Shield :lawd

Best show ending of all time.

It's not even close

Breaking Bad stans :pacspit

Steve Contra

« Reply #8648 on: April 22, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
Breaking Bad was good, but nothing beats The Shield

All the plot lines coming together to fuck over everyone except Mackey.  Greatest villain of all time.  All Walter White could do was get shot by some hillbillies.  Mackey got himself a government job out of it
[close]
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8649 on: April 22, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
I love Breaking Bad, but the finale has been overrated. Doesn't touch The Shield. Also The Shield S7>>>Breaking Bad S5. Great season of Breaking Bad but not god tier.

Steve Contra

« Reply #8650 on: April 22, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
Agreed

Once Gus was dead there  wasn't much to wrap up, except to hammer home that Walt is a total piece of shit for people who might be sociopaths.  It was good, but it felt so stand alone.  Some of the best single episodes though.
[close]
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #8651 on: April 22, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
One of the glaring flaws of The Shield, especially when compared to similar shows of that era of television (Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc) is the lack of a strong female lead as the wife of the main character. From what I understand the actress is the wife of one of the show's producers...and she can't act for shit, nor does the show manage to create any interesting side stories for her.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8652 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:49 PM »
I keep putting it off too.  Someday.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8653 on: April 22, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
I've always found The Boondocks to be very uneven.  :-\ MacGruder isn't that great at political/social satire.

Fair enough. I don't love Veep enough to convince you otherwise.

Kshow

« Reply #8654 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »
I hate Vic! I've said that before. And if that makes it a good show? So be it. I burned through the series. Waitin for it to get good. Jus never got there. It was ok. Not something i would re-visit. Now ya got me thinkin of some of the best series endings. It's hard as fuck to end shit! lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8655 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »

A lot of people I respect really love the show. It just doesn't do it for me personally.

Tasty

« Reply #8656 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Veep is probably the most consistent comedy show I've known. I mean, you can say a lot of things about it, but it's definitely consistent in its writing and cadence of jokes.

Kshow

« Reply #8657 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »
Veep definitely on my next to do list.. Love her in seinfeld.. Is it jus me, or is she sexy!? 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8658 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:59 PM »
About half-way caught up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., it's aight.  :yeshrug

Just watched the two episodes where
Coulson gets kidnapped by Centipede
[close]
and they were pretty good. Ward and May got some decent fight scenes and even Skye got to be badass. Coulson's discovery wasn't really much of a discovery though, it's not like they told us anything we didn't already know since like the first episode.
©@©™

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8659 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »

A lot of people I respect really love the show. It just doesn't do it for me personally.
It's a very specific kind of comedy, it's Iannucci comedy. However, if you like The Thick of It and In the Loop but dislike Veep well I don't understand :(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8660 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
Downloading season one of Veep right now because of this thread

Tasty

« Reply #8661 on: April 22, 2014, 11:54:43 PM »

[close]
and they were pretty good. Ward and May got some decent fight scenes and even Skye got to be badass. Coulson's discovery wasn't really much of a discovery though, it's not like they told us anything we didn't already know since like the first episode.

I thought the reveal was incredibly chilling, enough to kinda create a disconnect with the larger MCU but not too badly.

The series really comes into its own during the Winter Soldier "crossover."

Tasty

« Reply #8662 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:13 PM »
Also, for what it's worth, I believe Ianucci has said that he's trying to make season 3 of Veep have more emotional weight/depth, which the first two seasons lacked. Based on the first three episodes of s3 it's definitely there, but not as overbearing as you'd think. It just feels like there's more clicking between characters in between all the jokes and gags.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8663 on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:12 AM »
Campaigning is one way to differentiate it more as a series, the American campaign process is highly unique. And no show has ever really dug into the banalities of it.

One reason I liked Boss, and the third season of The Wire, was that they accurately portrayed the seemingly endlessness to it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8664 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:07 AM »

It's a very specific kind of comedy, it's Iannucci comedy. However, if you like The Thick of It and In the Loop but dislike Veep well I don't understand :(

I'm far more familiar with American Politics. So the things that struck me as clever in the British version don't strike me at all that way in Veep. I never find myself actually laughing while I watch Veep. I smile... Occasionally.

And then the episode is over and I realize I didn't think what I just watched was very funny or very clever or gave me any real insight into politics. So it doesn't work for me as as a political satire and it isn't funny enough as I try to appreciate it as a straight comedy.

I haven't seen the British show in years but my recollection is that it seemed more grounded and less goofy than veep. But I may be mis-remembering.

That being said maybe I'm wrong and one day I'll rematch veep and it will strike me differently. We all have our unique tastes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:39:06 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8665 on: April 23, 2014, 12:28:50 AM »
Semi-related: Veep and Silicon Valley both got renewed.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8666 on: April 23, 2014, 02:08:36 AM »
Campaigning is one way to differentiate it more as a series, the American campaign process is highly unique. And no show has ever really dug into the banalities of it.

One reason I liked Boss, and the third season of The Wire, was that they accurately portrayed the seemingly endlessness to it.
Veep had me from day one of season 3 with that joke about the book she had to publish.

Red, white, and YOU

Stoney Mason

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread
« Reply #8667 on: April 23, 2014, 02:38:25 AM »
The new Boondocks episode had some laughs but didn't feel like The Boondocks at all. Aaron McGruder leaving really did take away a lot.

Watched the first episode tonight because of the discussion. Yeah it felt off and wrong. Pacing, writing, and especially how they handled the music cues setting the tone of events. Poor episode. Sigh.

Hopefully they find their footing as the season progresses.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #8668 on: April 23, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
One of the glaring flaws of The Shield, especially when compared to similar shows of that era of television (Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc) is the lack of a strong female lead as the wife of the main character. From what I understand the actress is the wife of one of the show's producers...and she can't act for shit, nor does the show manage to create any interesting side stories for her.

The Shield's most glaring flaw is that it spent 90% of it's run barely even remembering what happened at the end of the pilot. It should have been the original sin that bedogged Vic & crew at all times, even if only festering under the surface. Instead they spent S1-S4 and some of S5 w/ Vic as a pretty bog-standard anti-hero, just who's shade of grey is just a bit darker than most.
___

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #8669 on: April 23, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

Kshow

« Reply #8670 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
Now I can watch HBO:

Reuters - HBO strikes deal with Amazon to stream shows

Looks like a rewatch of the wire will be in order. BE nice to go from ep to ep seamlessly.

hampster

« Reply #8671 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
Nice. I haven't seen any of HBO's shows so I'll be busy :)
Zzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8672 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
Fuck the haters, y'all should watch Bored To Death

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8673 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

[close]

I thought the reveal was incredibly chilling, enough to kinda create a disconnect with the larger MCU but not too badly.

The series really comes into its own during the Winter Soldier "crossover."

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting to that point. That's what set me to watching it in the first place.

I'm kinda pissed that I already got spoiled on Ward being a HYDRA double agent (by my mom of all people  :lol ), but I still want to see how it all plays out.
[close]
©@©™

Kshow

« Reply #8674 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
Fuck the haters, y'all should watch Bored To Death

How could ya not like bored to death! lol  Got ted danson, Zach Galifianakis, and Jason Schwartzman. I enjoyed it while it was on tv.

Forgot how to do the spoiler.. Any help would be awesome! Thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:51:39 PM by Kshow »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8675 on: April 23, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »

The Shield's most glaring flaw is that it spent 90% of it's run barely even remembering what happened at the end of the pilot. It should have been the original sin that bedogged Vic & crew at all times, even if only festering under the surface. Instead they spent S1-S4 and some of S5 w/ Vic as a pretty bog-standard anti-hero, just who's shade of grey is just a bit darker than most.

The whole point was that people whose job was to catch criminals constantly lied, deceived, and shifted the blame for every horrible thing they did every time Aceveda or Rawlins or anyone else tried to investigate. Especially when they show Kavanagh slip into using the same justifications to try and snare the team while people like Claudette and Dutch  always stick to the moral high road even when they knew they would suffer for it.

To me it was a very consistent message about how those with power and control may strip away nearly every principle to get what they want. It wasn't about how Vic was a strong or overall a good person, but just that he was the biggest sociopath and able to stay a few steps ahead of everyone else.

etiolate

« Reply #8676 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Agents of Shield makes me more interested in the Captain America movie than it does making me interested in Agents of Shield.

Tasty

« Reply #8677 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Winter Solider was pretty good, though.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8678 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:34 AM »
Good agents of shield.  It's really feeling like it's a real part of the universe now, that actually contributes to the story.

Kshow

« Reply #8679 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Fuck, its so hard to put my finger on the dislike for that show. haha  The shield that is. I think it's because there's no likable characters. How can you like a show, when you like no one in it!?  O, and i forgot that deadwood will be on prime too! Sopranos, hopefully six feet under.. Gonna be awesome! Anyone else got prime?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8680 on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
holy shit, arrow  :bow2

cool breeze

« Reply #8681 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
only thing bothering me about recent Arrow episodes is
Oliver on blast for two+ months straight.  in this new episode alone Sara left him, Roy broke his leg, and Slade killed his mom :picard

and he has a 7 y/o love child running around in Flash's city :picard

and he's poor :picard
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8682 on: April 24, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
Fuck, its so hard to put my finger on the dislike for that show. haha  The shield that is. I think it's because there's no likable characters. How can you like a show, when you like no one in it!?  O, and i forgot that deadwood will be on prime too! Sopranos, hopefully six feet under.. Gonna be awesome! Anyone else got prime?

In a world of TV shows where everybody is phony likable I prefer to see the other side of the coin occasionally.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #8683 on: April 24, 2014, 05:53:10 PM »
This week's Fargo episode...
watch

this

fucking

show

:bow :bow :bow :bow
SRY

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8684 on: April 24, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »
Does Billy Bob get nekkid in it?
©@©™

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #8685 on: April 24, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
that third pic is the closest he's been but I wouldn't put it past this show!
SRY

Kshow

« Reply #8686 on: April 24, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
Racked my brain

Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Carnival, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Boardwalk Empire (Seasons 1&2), Oz, Curb Your Enthusiasm.... Anythin else? Enlightened ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:20:55 PM by Kshow »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8687 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
The Larry Sanders Show, True Blood, and maybe Treme but that's not for everyone.

If you're counting mini-series Generation Kill.

Kshow

« Reply #8688 on: April 24, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
The Larry Sanders Show, True Blood, and maybe Treme but that's not for everyone.

If you're counting mini-series Generation Kill.
Can't fuckin' wait!

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8689 on: April 24, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
Racked my brain

Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Carnival, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Boardwalk Empire (Seasons 1&2), Oz, Curb Your Enthusiasm.... Anythin else? Enlightened ?
Enlightened, yes. Other than that that covers the HBO classics basically. Looking is good, if you're cool with a show about average gay men in San Francisco.

Yulwei

« Reply #8690 on: April 25, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »
I rewatched Rick and Morty episode 6 aka Love Potion #9
 i told myself i wasn't going to tear up but ...  :'( that ending hits deep. i can't even begin to imagine how detached i'd feel if i were in that situation

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8691 on: April 25, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
The callback to that in Rixty Minutes is nice.

Kshow

« Reply #8692 on: April 26, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
I rewatched Rick and Morty episode 6 aka Love Potion #9
 i told myself i wasn't going to tear up but ...  :'( that ending hits deep. i can't even begin to imagine how detached i'd feel if i were in that situation
I cruised through rick and morty within a day. Great show. Definitely gonna have to watch again. That says alot considering what I caught on my WATCHIN plate. lol  What ya'll watchin?  GOT is kickin ass as usual. Seems the season flies by, unfortunately. Jus read the rolling stones story on the george R.R. I like to see the process they go through.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8693 on: April 26, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
The season finale of Parks and Rec was just so so great. Wow.
AMC

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #8694 on: April 26, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
Parks is so fucking cheesy, I don't know why I watch it any more.
brb

Kshow

« Reply #8695 on: April 26, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
Parks is so fucking cheesy, I don't know why I watch it any more.
It really ran it's course. Big fan he first couple seasons. So many good characters, but the stupidity of the hate towards jerry. Is jus fuckin unbearable. In the age where bullying is frowned upon. Every now and then i could see for "comedic" effect. But damn, leslie wouldn't do it. Ron wouldnt do it. But they do!? Jus goes against there character. Then the ending to this season. That would never happen, nor should it of. She is the most carrer oriented person i've seen on televison. Made me loose lil respect for the writers.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8696 on: April 26, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »
Parks and Rec is still a good show but its no longer at its height anymore which is a season or two back. It got a little too comfortable.

Haven't seen the season finale yet.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8697 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
I agree with most of the criticism but I still loved the season finale.  :yeshrug

Although Billy Eichner on the show is worse than AIDS.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:54:18 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

ZephyrFate

« Reply #8698 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
what a classy gay joke you just made

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8699 on: April 26, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
AIDS only affects gay people?
AMC