Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084973 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12240 on: February 23, 2016, 04:12:23 AM »
Wish someone had told me this Salem tv show used a marilyn manson song as it's theme song...I'd have checked it out sooner. 5 eps deep im fucking wit it.
 :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12241 on: February 23, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
 :badass

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12242 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
Looked it up in case the song was Beautiful People in which case I'd have dapped, but it's some song called "Cupid Carries a Gun" :neogaf
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #12243 on: February 23, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
:rock tho

___

Sausage

« Reply #12244 on: February 24, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
I attempted to watch Love but the guy is so ugly that it's kind of offensive, especially considering how cute the girl is.  Also his old girlfriend looks like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah it's not just those two girls either. He's a bland nerd and he ends up in all kinds of sitations with hot girls

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12245 on: February 24, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
Anyone watching 11.22.63? This shit is incredible :whew
The book was pretty damn good too.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12246 on: February 25, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12247 on: February 25, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
:whoo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12248 on: February 25, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »

:hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12249 on: February 26, 2016, 08:51:16 AM »
I love on Sunny when they argue over things like the background history of St. Patrick.

They're just so confident in their answers.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
SMILE
I NEED TO BUY IT
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:01:44 AM by benjipwns »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #12250 on: February 26, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
Fuller House

Made it through the first episode.  :doge

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12251 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Always Sunny  :lol

Charlie, have you been drinking straight paint?
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12252 on: February 26, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
Also
I'm not taking questions
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12253 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
Watched the first episode of Fuller House

It's schmaltzy, super campy and exactly what I want. I love it.
nat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12254 on: February 29, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
Watched the first ep of 11.22.63. I like it. They filmed a bunch in my hometown. Fucking weird seeing James Franco in a high budget TV show on the shitty rusted bridge behind my folks' house.
zzzzz

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12255 on: February 29, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
Venture bros continues to nail it.  Such a great season so far. 

'why didnt anyone tell me we could just hologram in'  :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12256 on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:09 AM »
VB has been awesome, yeah.

The Monarch and Rusty are totes brothers. Or maybe they're making me believe that only for a swerve to throw that out of the window. I'm not sure.
[close]

I'm not caught up on this season but it wouldn't be the first time they've heavily hinted at it.
IIRC there was an ep or special where it was shown that Rusty's parents were swingers and his dad in particular was a bit of a man slut. I think in the same ep they reveal Rusty's dad definitely was fucking or had fucked Monarch's mother.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12257 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:32 AM »
They showed the same thing this season

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12258 on: March 03, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »
Because of the implication.

He probably sent that storm because I keep failing him.
[close]

Gay. Gay. Gay. Gay. Gay. Gay.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Dickie Dee

« Reply #12260 on: March 07, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
My Squanch is ready.
___

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12261 on: March 10, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
House of Cards is damn good this season. I actually liked last season reasonably enough but this one is far better.
nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12262 on: March 10, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12263 on: March 14, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12264 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:36 AM »
Trailer was a good laugh. Can't wait  :)
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #12265 on: March 15, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
Started watching American Horror Story. Only three episodes in but I liked it more than I expected. It seemed lots of stuff was plotted out pretty well in a way that I like shows to be. Definitely will finish up the first season. Do the later seasons retain quality?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12266 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Started watching American Horror Story. Only three episodes in but I liked it more than I expected. It seemed lots of stuff was plotted out pretty well in a way that I like shows to be. Definitely will finish up the first season. Do the later seasons retain quality?
All the seasons are about on the same quality (except the latest, I haven't seen it so I can't comment).  But they all suffer from the same problem... they blow their load way too early and lose steam.  It's a series that will bore you if you watch at a leisurely pace.  You have to marathon them so when it gets to the end of the season you go through those episodes because "why not?"

The one with the most consistent pacing and quality was season 3.  Season 2 has the best start and the first 7 or 8 episodes are really, really good but it falls REALLY hard.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12267 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info. What I liked about the first three episodes was that a lot of shit was actually happening. It wasn't insanely slow like I expected it to be not that there is anything necessarily wrong with being slow. But I liked that the pacing was faster than I expected. But interesting observation that you say you felt it starts too fast and peters out.

edit: Maybe not starts too fast but starts strong and then peters out.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12268 on: March 15, 2016, 01:37:15 PM »
S1 of AHS is the perfect example of something starting interesting and then falling off a fucking cliff.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12269 on: March 15, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
Watched the whole first season of the Returned on Netflix before I realized there wasn't a second season :maf

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12270 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Watched the whole first season of the Returned on Netflix before I realized there wasn't a second season :maf
Except...there is a second season?

Edit: Oh, you meant the American one.  Watch the original, they get into a really weird second season.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:49:17 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #12271 on: March 15, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
Yeah we tried to jump in second season in French, think we're gonna go back and start season one of the original

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12272 on: March 15, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
All the seasons are about on the same quality (except the latest, I haven't seen it so I can't comment).  But they all suffer from the same problem... they blow their load way too early and lose steam.  It's a series that will bore you if you watch at a leisurely pace.  You have to marathon them so when it gets to the end of the season you go through those episodes because "why not?"

The one with the most consistent pacing and quality was season 3.  Season 2 has the best start and the first 7 or 8 episodes are really, really good but it falls REALLY hard.

Def. agree with you but i think we're in the minority about s3. Ppl were savage against it as it aired and a little after (it was boring, went nowhere etc). Probably my favorite season.

I did not finish s4 though. The carnival shit was just too much for me and i gave up like 4 eps in. I haven't seen this last one either.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12273 on: March 15, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »

it's lit

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12274 on: March 15, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
Except...there is a second season?

Edit: Oh, you meant the American one.  Watch the original, they get into a really weird second season.
Changed the whole writing staff apparently after a long hiatus between seasons. Was not a big fan of the series but it's definitely one of the best lit and scored. TV productions in France are really meh on that front despite the money.

Series is based on a film (with a very mundane living dead theme as well) but without involvement of the director.
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

« Reply #12275 on: March 15, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

it's lit

Fuk that's this Friday  :o

Already knew Punisher casting was inspired and on point, Electra looks to be too.

SQUueeeeeeeeee
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12276 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
HOLY CRAP:
http://deadline.com/2016/03/greg-yaitanes-direct-spike-tv-red-mars-drama-series-1201720014/
This is a fantastic series of books.

it's lit

Literally gave me goosebumps across both arms and my back. Wow. Looks fucking great!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12277 on: March 16, 2016, 08:02:43 AM »

Def. agree with you but i think we're in the minority about s3. Ppl were savage against it as it aired and a little after (it was boring, went nowhere etc). Probably my favorite season.

I did not finish s4 though. The carnival shit was just too much for me and i gave up like 4 eps in. I haven't seen this last one either.
Yeah I only went through Season 4 because I had nothing better to do.  It did have some of the best moments from the show in there though.  Certain scenes really had me :o

Season 3 had the best finale.  And Lily Rabe was totally :drool in that season.  Season 2 as well but that's a given with nuns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12278 on: March 16, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Better Call Saul to have a third season.
I'm liking S2 but not super enamored with it either*, as I said upthread. I do like the exploration of the relationship between Jimmy and his brother though, they make a great job with the Chuck character and how ambivalent he is : Total self centered holier than thou asshole, but is he wrong about Jimmy though ? Rhea Seehorn is still killing it, too.

* Spoiler :
Jimmy deciding to air his ad without clearing it with his boss first felt super forced and artificial. No matter how much of a hothead Jimmy is, you have to be super dense to not see how dangerous that would be.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:16:04 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12279 on: March 16, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
Seeing a special screening of the first two episode of Daredevil tonight! :hyper

nat

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12280 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
It's an important season for his character, cause we need to see him try and fail to live life on the straight and narrow. The problem is it hasn't been terribly exciting. Obviously this will all culminate in him leaving his job and losing Kim, so season 3 will probably be a lot more interesting.

It's still a good watch. The cast is crazy good and they were smart to also turn it into a Mike show to keep this season somewhat intriguing.
zzzzz

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12281 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
I actually think that it is better than all of the Breaking Bad seasons, except for the fourth one.
🍆🍆

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12282 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »
I actually think that it is better than all of the Breaking Bad seasons, except for the fourth one.

I feel like Jimmy is a much more focused character than Jessie or Walt were, but I think that's because the show has the benefit of already having established who he becomes and where he ends up.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12283 on: March 16, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
The Expanse  :rejoice

One of the best Sci-fi shows in a long time, maybe ever. How did this come from SyyyFyyy?

While I'm not sure about best ever, I did really enjoy it. The actor for Holden annoyed me at first, thought he was too young and just...fuckin bland. Dude grew on me by the end though.

It makes me way more hopeful for the Hyperion miniseries they're doing, one of my all time favorite scifi books: http://www.syfy.com/blog/hyperion-is-coming

I started with the first episode and immediate went and bought the first book. The book is great. It's stunning to see how well the TV show has adapted the material.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12284 on: March 17, 2016, 03:13:09 AM »

I feel like Jimmy is a much more focused character than Jessie or Walt were, but I think that's because the show has the benefit of already having established who he becomes and where he ends up.

I didn't watch anything from Breaking Bad and only have a superficial knowledge of Saul Goodman (he changed his name, he's a bent lawyer, he works for some bald meth dude) but it still works. The series is well contained in itself, the intro of each season do everything to explain that he fucked up ultimately. It's a good tragedy.
ὕβρις

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #12285 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
Jon Bernthal is pretty great as The Punisher. His introduction is killer.
nat

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12286 on: March 18, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
Episode 3 of dd :bow2

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12287 on: March 18, 2016, 03:54:27 PM »
DD

Kingpin :bow2
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12288 on: March 18, 2016, 05:17:43 PM »
Ep 10

Matt confronting Fisk, holy shit that was great
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12289 on: March 18, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »
Love

While I love this show, I have quite a few problems with Paul Rust's character Gus. It's hard to believe he has shitty luck with women, as he's continuously propositioned by top tier beauties, including two hot sisters for a threesome. Parts of me feels like the show is a little aware of him being the so called "nice guy" who's actually a dick with a chip on his shoulder, but I'm not sure if it is. Some parts make you think it could be a deconstruction, others make me see it as an inflated sense of ego.

The supporting cast and Gillian is what makes the show come together. And the writing is excellent aside from the problems I brought up earlier. Heidi is hot as fuck so that's a plus. Great show with a crappy lead.

Yeah the hardest part to believe he's just this lucky with women...consistently without trying but as you said, the supporting cast is great and doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Gillian in particular is giving career best stuff here.

Beezy

« Reply #12290 on: March 18, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »
Finally not liking a House of Cards season. I'll still watch it to the end.
I only have 2 eps left to watch, but I thought this was a big step up from s3 which was the weakest so far to me.

I'll start DD once I'm done with HoC.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12291 on: March 18, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12292 on: March 18, 2016, 08:31:11 PM »
Finished it

weak ending, especially for punishers plot line.  Still very enjoyable.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12293 on: March 18, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #12294 on: March 19, 2016, 03:18:38 AM »
About 9 episodes into the first season of American Horror Story.

The flaws are much more clear at this point. The plot starts to get very contrived just to create whatever situations the writers want to setup no matter how illogical it is.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12295 on: March 19, 2016, 04:30:36 AM »
I finished reading Leviathan Wakes, so I went to purchase The Ascension on iTunes. Which I did. Then I realized I'd meant to buy The Expanse, which is the adaptation. Oops.

Guess I've got two SF shows to watch now.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12296 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »

The flaws are much more clear at this point. The plot starts to get very contrived just to create whatever situations the writers want to setup no matter how illogical it is.
Yeah, the off the rails stuff doesn't seem as out of place in other seasons because they start pretty batshit crazy too. But every season does seem to have that moment where you realize they executed all their good ideas and they're coasting for another 4 or 5 episodes.

Tasty

« Reply #12297 on: March 21, 2016, 06:21:11 PM »

Yeah, the off the rails stuff doesn't seem as out of place in other seasons because they start pretty batshit crazy too. But every season does seem to have that moment where you realize they executed all their good ideas and they're coasting for another 4 or 5 episodes.

Yeah, it's painfully clear in s2 and also to a lesser extent s3.

s2 is still the best though.

Haven't watched 4+

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12298 on: March 21, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
Venture Bros episode was really funny. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12299 on: March 21, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
Finally started watching Archer. Nearly choked to death on a corn chip when the phrase "Pelé of anal" was used.