Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082635 times)

bluemax

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5220 on: April 03, 2020, 06:49:18 PM »
It's just frustrating because we are at the end of week 3 of this here in Los Angeles and it feels like it could go another month and a half because of people in other states doing whatever. Of course we don't have a functional federal government so expecting anything different is a fool's errand.
NO

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5221 on: April 03, 2020, 06:53:57 PM »
It's madness. I understand some of it is a flaw by design in federal states (Germany has some disparity between how strict each lander is) but in the US the response has been all over the place while domestic air travel was, AFAIK, mostly going on as normal though I'm sure passenger volume reduced of its own volition.
I don't think it's even constitutional to restrict domestic travel.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5222 on: April 03, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
Restricting interstate travel wouldn't be how you do it, you'd need to lock down travel within cities and that would solve the interstate problem as a by-product. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #5223 on: April 03, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
Had my first dystopian moment at the grocery store. Not from anything about the condition of the store or the people which are always weird so was normal except for the missing stuff. But from the announcements! Rather than the usual music/announcements there's a bunch of messages about social distancing, being limited to select numbers of certain items, regular sale statements, being responsible about touching people or things, hand washing, etc.

But now they all end with "WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!"

:juche

Same here. Every 2 minutes there is a „Please keep at least a distance of two meters to other customers“, „Not using a shopping cart is prohibited“ and „Please do not pay in cash“ message.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5224 on: April 03, 2020, 07:07:47 PM »
Found some wet wipes and paper towels today. Wet wipes are for the baby, but you never know when you might need to trade them for a new car or something. :success

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5225 on: April 03, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
It's madness. I understand some of it is a flaw by design in federal states (Germany has some disparity between how strict each lander is) but in the US the response has been all over the place while domestic air travel was, AFAIK, mostly going on as normal though I'm sure passenger volume reduced of its own volition.

The Feds could surely suggest to airlines and train operators that it would be appreciated if they lowered the number of flights/trains/bus, maybe that they should only sell so many tickets that social distancing would be possible for passengers... Especially if they want that sweet public bailout money.

And didn't Trump suggest that roadblocks be made out of NY and parts of CT ? Maybe it's the States that decide this but I also thought I heard that they could force interstate travellers into a quarantine ?

I know this will give Benji seizures but while it's kind of worrying how all Western democracies basically just flipped in a couple of weeks to de facto state of emergency where freedom to travel and congregate was curtailed overnight (and the French government tried to slip in some skeevy changes to paid leave and a couple of others labor code changes via decree), there's sort of a tacit agreement with citizens that it is exceptional and temporary (at least so far...) even though I'm sure a lot of the measures could fall in a gray area and be challenged in courts.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5226 on: April 03, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Dutch government is also ramming through some bills discussed in private ZOOM meetings.

Seems like governments the world over are taking this opportunity to take 'emergency measures' that have little to do with COVID-19.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5227 on: April 03, 2020, 07:19:15 PM »
And as I said in the politics thread, while the POTUS can't decree a lockdown, a more focused individual than the current one could have tried to coordinate Governors better even if I'm sure a handful of them are always gonna grandstand and play maverick.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5229 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5230 on: April 03, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
There's also the permanent lung damage for 20 - 30% of patients who do make it through the ICU.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #5231 on: April 03, 2020, 07:38:49 PM »
vom, I thought we agreed you would stop :ufup
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5232 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »

In the Wank Dad thread  :bolo
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5234 on: April 03, 2020, 07:53:45 PM »

In the Wank Dad thread  :bolo

All threads.  Having a lockdown in one thread while the other ones are still open will just prolong his popularity. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5235 on: April 03, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
BBC aired a new episode of Have I Got News For You where these zoomed all the panelists :dead

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5236 on: April 03, 2020, 08:02:54 PM »
Ya, I started dressing like a slightly post 9-11 Arab in an American action movie.   

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5237 on: April 03, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
Man even your bureaucrats are direct at explaining exactly how your medical system will fail. This is why you guys have enough time to go crazy with banking and flowers.
The elderly or people with pre-existing medical conditions are getting calls from their doctors now, healthy or not to ask if they want to be treated if they get the COVID-19.
Warned that chances of surviving such treatment is quite low.

Dat Dutch Directness  :lawd
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5238 on: April 03, 2020, 08:16:18 PM »

Im old enough to remember the last republican president grounded all planes for 3 days
:O

Pennywise

« Reply #5239 on: April 03, 2020, 08:19:39 PM »
There's also the permanent lung damage for 20 - 30% of patients who do make it through the ICU.
The big question is still if it's actually permanent or if you'll be able to get back to the 100% with cardio and shit.

Found some wet wipes and paper towels today. Wet wipes are for the baby, but you never know when you might need to trade them for a new car or something. :success
Finding toilet paper was quite easy today.
Also the +18 packages are hilarious. MediaMarkt cut the extra shipping cost for +18 titles. Amazon still got them, but the DHL dude just gave me the package without an ID check.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5241 on: April 03, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »
don't mess with texas  :nope

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5243 on: April 03, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »

Tripon

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #5245 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
https://wkow.com/2020/04/03/uw-madison-researchers-working-on-coronavirus-vaccine/

UW Madison researchers and FluGen, a Madison biotech company, have been working on a universal flu vaccine for the past few years and have made plenty of progress.

Now they have a more pressing challenge, the coronavirus.

"They realized that they could take genetic sequences from the novel coronavirus put them into the existing flu vaccine," Eric Hamilton, a UW Madison spokesperson, said. "So in principal if it works it would be a vaccine against both the flu and the coronavirus."

He says the team lead by Doctors Yoshihiro Kawaoka and Gabriele Neumann is working with Bharat Biotech, an Indian company founded by a UW Madison alum.

They've already put together a plan that they think will work.

Now comes implementation.

"Very soon they should begin actually producing the vaccine in the lab here in Madison and then they'll be testing the safety and effectiveness of that vaccine," Hamilton said.

He says that process could take up to six months.

After that, the vaccine will be produced for a clinical trial for approval by the FDA.

Even though it's one of many vaccines being developed, Hamilton says it could be more effective because it uses a live virus that has been weakened.

"It's able to enter the cell but not leave the cell," he said. "That induces a stronger immune response in the body but you can't get sick from it."

Would be pretty miraculous if this vaccine ends up working.
OH!

Tripon

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5247 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
I get the value in tracking all available data in every way possible but I don't understand why per capita info isn't a bigger part of the discussion

spain has 46 million people

california has 39 million people

isn't it more useful to compare spain's deaths to california's than the entire US?
Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5248 on: April 03, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »
more spaniards know who the governor of california is, than US citizens who know who the king of spain is

BisMarckie

« Reply #5249 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »
FACT CHECK: The only governor of California I know of was Arnold.  :ahnuld2

shosta

« Reply #5250 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
Arnold donkey videos will get me through the pandemic
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5251 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:48 PM »
Not Reagan or Moonbeam?

Tripon

« Reply #5252 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
I get the value in tracking all available data in every way possible but I don't understand why per capita info isn't a bigger part of the discussion

isn't it more useful to compare spain's deaths to california's than the entire US?

This is probably more than what you want. City by City comparison.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1246185360570400768

BisMarckie

« Reply #5253 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:52 PM »

shosta

« Reply #5254 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:14 PM »
I just realized I've never voted for California governor :dead
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #5255 on: April 03, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
I just realized I've never voted for California governor :dead
Big deal I've never done it either.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5256 on: April 03, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
I've never voted  :reeeee

james

« Reply #5257 on: April 03, 2020, 11:13:29 PM »

Click the link you illiterate fool

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1244380095164420101

https://twitter.com/Marco_Piani/status/1244445089751064581

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5258 on: April 03, 2020, 11:26:51 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5259 on: April 03, 2020, 11:40:00 PM »
My friend mentioned that Obesedy rates in the US is also much more for lower class - just another way this is going to hit the people who have the least.

Also, most provinces in Canada have been doing pretty good politically during this but Alberta is still a real shitshow for multiple reasons
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/health-minister-shandro-confidential-information-1.5519962

benjipwns

« Reply #5260 on: April 03, 2020, 11:42:28 PM »
My friend mentioned that Obesedy rates in the US is also much more for lower class - just another way this is going to hit the people who have the least.
https://www.propublica.org/article/early-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate
As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee County’s 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide.

In Michigan, where the state’s population is 14% black, African Americans made up 35% of cases and 40% of deaths as of Friday morning. Detroit, where a majority of residents are black, has emerged as a hot spot with a high death toll. As has New Orleans. Louisiana has not published case breakdowns by race, but 40% of the state’s deaths have happened in Orleans Parish, where the majority of residents are black.

Illinois and North Carolina are two of the few areas publishing statistics on COVID-19 cases by race, and their data shows a disproportionate number of African Americans were infected.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5261 on: April 03, 2020, 11:53:45 PM »
y tho
Uncle

james

« Reply #5262 on: April 04, 2020, 12:13:59 AM »
y tho

They fell for the "black people cant get corona" meme

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5263 on: April 04, 2020, 12:23:16 AM »
How is Kissinger still alive, ffs?
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #5264 on: April 04, 2020, 12:31:12 AM »
How is Kissinger still alive, ffs?
Hillarycare.

Occam

« Reply #5265 on: April 04, 2020, 03:09:11 AM »
The Navy Fired the Captain of the Theodore Roosevelt. See How the Crew Responded.

The rousing show of support provided another gripping scene to emerge from the coronavirus pandemic: the rank and file cheering a boss they viewed as putting their safety ahead of his career.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/politics/coronavirus-brett-crozier-theodore-roosevelt.html

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5266 on: April 04, 2020, 03:10:42 AM »

Raw numbers are rarely a useful statistic for anything. Per capita would be a good step for comparisons, but there needs to be some sort of adjustment for concentration of people per km2
Spud

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5267 on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:46 AM »

Raw numbers are rarely a useful statistic for anything. Per capita would be a good step for comparisons, but there needs to be some sort of adjustment for concentration of people per km2
Not to mention demographic.
As it has been said multiple times, Italy has an older population (so does Japan), obesity rates are also a factor (the largest obesity rates in Italy are in the south, for example), and so on.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5269 on: April 04, 2020, 04:22:40 AM »
As suggested, per capita numbers are not super useful yet, when we're still in the discovery phase, with numbers massively changing every day and absolute numbers in each country being in the 5 figures range yet.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5271 on: April 04, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1246130336964190210

:salute
I hope they conserved this fucker's sperm, for any future eugenic genetic-engineering project we might want to entertain.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5273 on: April 04, 2020, 09:05:38 AM »
I'm sorry about your people's potato surplus. 

kingv

« Reply #5274 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »

I think the argument is that in the early days of the pandemic, exponential spread is exponential spread, and the size of the population is sort of irrelevant as long as it is “sufficiently large” but I do agree that the us is really several smaller outbreaks, than one big one.

kingv

« Reply #5275 on: April 04, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

this will be included in the declaration of the jdpon :hmph
So, I've been reading some of the criticism of Bolsonaro lately esp. from left-leaning writers in the US and there's very little appreciation for the fact that Brazil actually can't do what the US or Europe is doing, at least not nearly to the same extent. It's a huge agricultural exporter, it feeds a significant portion of the world just like the Netherlands, and they have huge labor intensive factories. There's a solid 40% of the workforce that absolutely cannot stay home under any circumstances. Not only that, but if they did stop exporting, they definitely wouldn't be able to import the capital intensive goods or medicine that they really need right now. Catch-22. And lastly, they don't have the vast financial resources to just prop up a stay at home population.

That isn't to say that they can't do better than they're doing... Bolsonaro obviously sucks and he's going to get people killed. But it's worth understanding the immense privileges we have that they don't. And contemplating to what degree our luxuries are propped up by their sacrifices.

it's humbling typing this out

Free Assimilate!

kingv

« Reply #5276 on: April 04, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »
Man even your bureaucrats are direct at explaining exactly how your medical system will fail. This is why you guys have enough time to go crazy with banking and flowers.
The elderly or people with pre-existing medical conditions are getting calls from their doctors now, healthy or not to ask if they want to be treated if they get the COVID-19.
Warned that chances of surviving such treatment is quite low.

Dat Dutch Directness  :lawd

Listen Rutger, you’ve lived a good life. You’ve had sex with many escorts on holiday in Spain.

kingv

« Reply #5277 on: April 04, 2020, 10:42:51 AM »
Am I crazy, or is not having every state on lock down just prolonging this whole thing?

It's madness. I understand some of it is a flaw by design in federal states (Germany has some disparity between how strict each lander is) but in the US the response has been all over the place while domestic air travel was, AFAIK, mostly going on as normal though I'm sure passenger volume reduced of its own volition. WA only issued their stay at home first policies 11 days ago while some states haven't yet now, but even such a gap could have noticeable effects.

That's why I've been bitching about France escalating from school closures to actual lockdown in 4 days instead of just following Italian policies once they went down that path. Maybe we would have plateaued at 350-450 daily death instead of 550... And judging from Italy and Spain, you stick at that plateau for several days, so that's maybe 500 deaths you could have prevented.

Maybe lower density will help the US ultimately. California's major cities not going belly up would be a big relief too.

I believe the airlines have to keep flying to preserve their routes, they are probably flying empty planes.

I monitor daily airline spend at my bank, it was a few million dollars per day before corona, now it’s less that $100k. Some days it’s even been negative.

Tasty

« Reply #5278 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Arnold donkey videos will get me through the pandemic

Arnold Palmers are what's been helping me. :playa

Himu

« Reply #5279 on: April 04, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
Final Fantasy has been my light and rock. Listened to FFX ost last night while working :rejoice
IYKYK