Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!  (Read 181108 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Red Dead Redemption screens, and trailer!
« Reply #660 on: May 19, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
multiplayer was confusing, i never saw anyone else and then the game froze and booted me back to the dashboard

sounds a lot like GTA 4 MP.

The problem in that game was it was neat to be in an open world and fighting. But it was too big. It becomes very boring that way. And the network code and lobby system was awful.

cool breeze

« Reply #661 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
I'm starting to wish they made this game a more like Fallout 3/Bethesda RPGs.  I've only done a few of the main missions but I'm loving just riding around, exploring, and doing just random tasks.

And maybe it is just what I like about westerns, but the cutscenes are a bit much.  It's just on and on with the overwritten banter at times.  At least if you're gonna have more talking while riding to the destination, keep the cutscenes brief.  That said, I like the main character.  

A Western RPG done fallout style would be dope. That being said in an open world game I'm the type of gamer who actually needs a strong narrative story element. All open world action games get a bit repititious and if I don't have story hook to drive me forward and push that out of my mind, I lose interest. I've noticed that all the open world games message board types loves are the ones that bore me because they are very light on story.

I'm normally the guy who champions gameplay over narrative in videogames but for open world affairs and RPG's I need a story or characters to drive me to finish. 

I'm not saying it should be without a story, only that the style they went with isn't the best fit for the setting.  At least for me, what they're doing isn't the appeal of western movies.  I haven't seen Deadwood so maybe they're trying to imitate that more than spaghetti westerns.  Like, assuming LA Noire is similar, in that setting I wouldn't really mind it.

don't get me wrong.  I think this game is incredible, which is why I have such a weird ass complaint like "people talk too much; not tense enough"

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:30:27 PM by Linkzg »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #662 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
I'm starting to wish they made this game a more like Fallout 3/Bethesda RPGs.  I've only done a few of the main missions but I'm loving just riding around, exploring, and doing just random tasks.

And maybe it is just what I like about westerns, but the cutscenes are a bit much.  It's just on and on with the overwritten banter at times.  At least if you're gonna have more talking while riding to the destination, keep the cutscenes brief.  That said, I like the main character.  

A Western RPG done fallout style would be dope. That being said in an open world game I'm the type of gamer who actually needs a strong narrative story element. All open world action games get a bit repititious and if I don't have story hook to drive me forward and push that out of my mind, I lose interest. I've noticed that all the open world games message board types loves are the ones that bore me because they are very light on story.

I'm normally the guy who champions gameplay over narrative in videogames but for open world affairs and RPG's I need a story or characters to drive me to finish. 

I'm not saying it should be without a story, only that the style they went with isn't the best fit for the setting.  At least for me, what they're doing isn't the appeal of western movies.  I haven't seen Deadwood so maybe they're trying to imitate that more than spaghetti westerns.  Like, assuming LA Noire is similar, in that setting I wouldn't really mind it.

I can't speak to specifics about the story. I don't have the game yet.  :'(

I was more talking about the amount of story which in general in GTA games/Rockstar games is more than the other open world games on the market. Although now I understand you are more talking about tone rather than necessarily the amount of story.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #663 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
I always got bored in the GTA games running between missions. This one, there's so much stuff to do outside the missions that there are times where I'll go hours between main story missions just hunting stuff, doing bounties (my favorite), and just exploring to see what pops up. It's MUCH better than any of the GTA games.
CBG

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #664 on: May 19, 2010, 10:49:31 PM »
To Unlock the red RDR avatar T-Shirt go to the burned out cabin at this waypoint and open the chest inside:

You can just set the waypoint and insta-travel there via a camp.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:48:19 AM by ManaByte »
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #665 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
yeah, multiplayer is glitchy bullshit

they should have taken all that money they spent on those slick marketing videos and hired some bugtesters instead

i was in a private game with B and FatalT just then and i could never find them or even see them on the map - we could talk to each other, that's about it

i knew this game would have that trademarked rockstar jank all over it somewhere, and i guess multi is where it landed
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:10:37 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

ManaByte

« Reply #666 on: May 19, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
Multi is unplayable right now. No fun trying to shoot invisible people, but sometimes they can see you and shoot you dead when you can't even see them.
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #667 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
fuck 1/2 this game, then

gonna finish the single player and sell it, there's plenty of other games out there with working online
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #668 on: May 19, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
I had a feeling they would fuck up the MP for various reasons I posted earlier.

It's unfortunate. There were moments in GTA 4 MP where you realized how awesome it could be if only they had actually treated the MP, the way most of the bigger MP franchises treat that section of their game.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #669 on: May 19, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
If one more damsel in distress ends up tricking me into some outlaws holding me at gunshot then I am going to break this disc.
USA

ManaByte

« Reply #670 on: May 19, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »
If one more damsel in distress ends up tricking me into some outlaws holding me at gunshot then I am going to break this disc.

God damn you suck at this game.
CBG

cool breeze

« Reply #671 on: May 19, 2010, 11:35:24 PM »
I'm at the point where I don't want to take my horse hunting with me  :-\

Two cougars took down my horse and me, tossed to the ground, in about two seconds.  Before that I was destroyed by two boars.  I just got a pure white horse too!

and I don't know what happened, but at the exact moment I was checking to see the horse shoe achievement, I got an invite to the game, then the invite disappeared or something.

cool breeze

« Reply #672 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »
what the fuck

I saw this one guy sitting next to a dead body crying, then he takes out a gun and shoots himself in the head  :-X

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #673 on: May 19, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »
1.  network error after network error, sometimes before the game even loads

2. guns not appearing

3.  other players not showing on the map, or you're invisible to them

4.  sometimes you can talk to other players, sometimes you can't

5.  sometimes you can spawn on your posse leader, sometimes you can't

that should be the mp tagline for this game - "sometimes you can play it!"

i'd have rather had a larger sp world with more missions than this bucket of halfass
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:47:38 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #674 on: May 20, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »
Sorry about not joining you Eel. I'm just playing SP stuff for now. WHen the co-op missions drop, I"m all yours.  :-*
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #675 on: May 20, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
lulz. Ice T is on the case.
 :bow2

http://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/14324675959

http://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/14325473347

http://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/14334404661

What's also sad is ICE T is a better reviewer than IGN since they mentioned none of this. He is doing their job.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:04:59 AM by Stoney Mason »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #676 on: May 20, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
Sorry about not joining you Eel. I'm just playing SP stuff for now. WHen the co-op missions drop, I"m all yours.  :-*

cool, i'm glad the first pack is free, co-op is about the only thing that's gonna save this jumbled mess
sup

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #677 on: May 20, 2010, 12:11:03 AM »

What's also sad is ICE T is a better reviewer than IGN since they mentioned none of this. He is doing their job.

And playing on the superior platform. :bow:
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #678 on: May 20, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »
oh hey, i just now checked out the inserts in the game box, and found another code for the golden guns (different from the one amazon sent)

anyone who wants it just pm me, first come first served
sup

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #679 on: May 20, 2010, 12:13:16 AM »

Apparently Rockstar only sent reviews to people whom they trusted to give good reviews.  Bombcast and several other sites were screwed because of this.  

Stoney Mason

« Reply #680 on: May 20, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »
Apparently Rockstar only sent reviews to people whom they trusted to give good reviews.  Bombcast and several other sites were screwed because of this.  

Its annoying to me not because it necessarily got a good review. But simply by the omission of facts. Reviews are just opinions and we can all have our different opinions. So even if the flaws existed you can still give the game a good overall score. I honestly don't think very many people are buying this game for MP so I don't even have an issue if they wanted to tilt the score more in favor of the SP which by most accounts people are really enjoying.

But if you didn't test out the MP fully, you owe it to the reading audience to say so. Either the MP wasn't working in pre-release versions or they played it and just ignored the bugs and decided not to mention it. And reviewers wonder why nobody takes "game journalism" seriously. 

Its not like these are just balance things where a person can debate whether they agree with how a game is balanced or not. It's actual bugs that hamper the gameplay experience. This sort of thing is all too common for reviewers. See Gears of War 2 MP for example.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:21:37 AM by Stoney Mason »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #681 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »
:bow Ice T :bow2

might listen to some of his songs on the way home! Love the guy.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #682 on: May 20, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
:bow New Jack City :bow2

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #683 on: May 20, 2010, 01:13:09 AM »
oh hey, i just now checked out the inserts in the game box, and found another code for the golden guns (different from the one amazon sent)

anyone who wants it just pm me, first come first served

Sell it on eBay, people are coughing up $20+ for them
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:29 AM »
whoa  :o Ive got a code for the gunz coming but Im sure I want to use them myself  :-*

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #685 on: May 20, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »
I went to Akiba yesterday and they STILL haven't gotten copies in...of either the asian or US versions.  Fuck me.

I have it and I'm not even playing it right now :smug
Oh, yeah? Well at least we're comfortable with our gender. :drake

:'(

I only break out the big guns for people I like, sexy. Just be happy you still have a big gun to return the favor.  :-*

D'aw :-[
SRY

cool breeze

« Reply #686 on: May 20, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »
golden guns seem kinda lame, tbh.  only the first revolver and first repeater are golden.  I haven't even used that first repeater since getting the winchester.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #687 on: May 20, 2010, 02:15:09 AM »
[youtube=560,345]oYvyiruWzYo[/youtube]

Michael Crichton was right

drew

• sy
« Reply #688 on: May 20, 2010, 04:22:46 AM »
everyone turn the saturation up on the in game menu, i think ive got it up 3 notches from default and it looks fucking awesome

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #689 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:46 AM »
everyone turn the saturation up on the in game menu, i think ive got it up 3 notches from default and it looks fucking awesome
Pretty sure the dynamic range of some HDTVs will deal with that automagically, won't it?

Qty     Item     Price
1    Red Dead Redemption
Compatible with Xbox360™ US, No Region Protection    64.90

Sub-Total    64.90
   Shipping (Air Economy Bubble)    3.90
SHIPPED. OH HELLS YES.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:00:25 AM by chronovore »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #690 on: May 20, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
cat

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #691 on: May 20, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
The horse took off!  :lol

Well, just when i thought i had finished the game...i didn't. Da fuck.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #692 on: May 20, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
Can the computer cheat in Lucky Die?

Also I love this game, just exploring which is something In ever do is fun.
USA

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #693 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
Why do I lose honor when I kill people who start shooting at me for no reason?
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #694 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
Maybe they're actually shooting at an invisible multiplayer character who is right behind you?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »

If you pulled out your gun or pointed it at them, they'll shoot and you'll be seen as the aggressor - whether or not you pulled the trigger.
PSP

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
Or if you have a prior bounty on your head and they come get you and you kill the bounty hunter it can lose fame.
USA

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #697 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
so i helped a mexican get his horse and cart back and lost honor for it

apparently i was too close to him when i got on the cart to return it, and i guess it counted as me stealing it

someone come up with a good icon for :rockstar that we can use for janky game bullshit like that
sup

Tieno

• Iconz
« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »
Instead of shooting a guy off his horse, it's fantastic to shoot for the horse's legs  :pirate

Euphoria :bow2 Makes the combat very satisfying, enhances the deadeye power.
i

drew

• sy
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
it doesnt make any sense, at all, especially since you can take a guys horse right after he hitches it with no penalty

Smooth Groove

« Reply #700 on: May 20, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »

apparently i was too close to him when i got on the cart to return it, and i guess it counted as me stealing it

someone come up with a good icon for :rockstar that we can use for janky game bullshit like that

Or maybe that Mexican never paid back the $200 that was owed to the guy that he bought the horse & cart from, and so you were actually aiding and abetting thievery.

FatalT

« Reply #701 on: May 20, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »

Or maybe that Mexican never paid back the $200 that was owed to the guy that he bought the horse & cart from, and so you were actually aiding and abetting thievery.

:lol Holy shit yes!

ManaByte

« Reply #702 on: May 20, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
Instead of shooting a guy off his horse, it's fantastic to shoot for the horse's legs  :pirate

Euphoria :bow2 Makes the combat very satisfying, enhances the deadeye power.

Whenever I go after a bounty now I kill the horses first. That way he can't really make a run for it and I can take him in alive.
CBG

G The Resurrected

« Reply #703 on: May 20, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
Fuck this game! Multiplayer is buggy as shit and fucked up my single player game somehow. Now I'm in some fucking town all the way across the fucking game that I've never visited before.

ManaByte

« Reply #704 on: May 20, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
Funny seeing as how they are completely different executables for completely separate games.
CBG

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #705 on: May 20, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »

:lol
sup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »

:rofl
ど助平

ManaByte

CBG

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #708 on: May 20, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »
Finished it. Story could've been stronger, but it had some nice moments.

Ending should've been way better. It's not enough. IT AINT ENOUGH

Jansen

« Reply #709 on: May 20, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
weirdest thing that has happened to me so far was after catching a bounty and putting him on my horse then killing some other guy i ran back up to my horse and bumped into him... and he fell over DEAD!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #710 on: May 20, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »
i don't like horse taming, either

i usually get thrown a couple of times, then get mad and kill the horse
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #711 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:31 PM »
It isn't too hard, but the damn thing takes way too long to balance.  It would have been nice if taming a type of horse would make you a pro at it, therefore not needing to do it again, or just having it be a skill that could be leveled up.  I've tamed at least 4 white horses and each time is like 30+ seconds of "left...right...left...left...right...left...right...left".

Same for skinning animals too.  The game establishes that the main character is new to some of this stuff, so it would have been nice if he would improve at it.  Then again, I don't know how they'd explain how looting enemies would speed up.  I've gotten to the point where I just don't bother anymore.  If I need money, bounties pay $400 for alive, and I'd rather spend 5 minutes doing that than 10 seconds to loot an enemy for $6.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #712 on: May 20, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »

hoooly fuck :rofl :rofl :rofl
PS4

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #713 on: May 20, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »
Pretty sure the dynamic range of some HDTVs will deal with that automagically, won't it?

Qty     Item     Price
1    Red Dead Redemption
Compatible with Xbox360™ US, No Region Protection    64.90

Sub-Total    64.90
   Shipping (Air Economy Bubble)    3.90
SHIPPED. OH HELLS YES.

my package was last tracked at 6.30am this morning at the Wellington depot.... waiting for that knock on my front door....

Hope it gets here soon, my design school interview is in a couple of hours!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #714 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
It isn't too hard, but the damn thing takes way too long to balance.  It would have been nice if taming a type of horse would make you a pro at it, therefore not needing to do it again, or just having it be a skill that could be leveled up.  I've tamed at least 4 white horses and each time is like 30+ seconds of "left...right...left...left...right...left...right...left".

Same for skinning animals too.  The game establishes that the main character is new to some of this stuff, so it would have been nice if he would improve at it.  Then again, I don't know how they'd explain how looting enemies would speed up.  I've gotten to the point where I just don't bother anymore.  If I need money, bounties pay $400 for alive, and I'd rather spend 5 minutes doing that than 10 seconds to loot an enemy for $6.

yeah, the balancing sucks, they tell you to stay centered but it's hard to judge where the center is when the horse is constantly whipping around in a circle - they should have had a meter on the side or something

i wish you could turn off the animations for the skinning and looting, it's tedious after a while
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #715 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
it actually confuses me because sometimes there is no animation for looting.  probably a glitch.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #716 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
also, this timed stagecoach escort mission i am now on is the fucking pits
sup

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #717 on: May 20, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
stage coach controls are the worst thing since Final Fantasy 13 on xbox.
USA

ManaByte

« Reply #718 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »
Get to Mexico...meet Gay Tony.
CBG

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #719 on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »
Thanks for spoiling, dickfag.
USA