Author Topic: Official 2010 Academy Awards thread of downward spiral into irrelevancy  (Read 21528 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Official 2010 Academy Awards thread of downward spiral into irrelevancy
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2010, 03:13:44 AM »
It doesn't seem like you draw any distinction between the technical type of creative skill that would make something popcorn entertainment and any skill that makes something have artistic merit, therefore pushing you to try to understand the new way that the artist used the medium.  Yes, art has to do something new.

Everybody agrees that the skill taht went into, as you say, "transporting you into a new world with a sense of wonder and adventure" make the movie more entertaining but what does that have to do with the artist(s) creative process?  Anybody can make something creative, but what does this movie do that is relevant/unique/anything to you?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2010, 03:20:30 AM »
You know, when I saw it in the theatres I got a very underwhelmed vibe from the audience.  Nobody clapped or cheered and I heard a few people tentatively asking "so... what did you think of it?" or the equivalent of their friends.

I'd bet the later audiences who are seeing it to avoid missing a cultural phenomenon are are lot less apt to feel magically whisked away to another world than the people who saw the previews, said "this really speaks to me!" and caught it early on.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2010, 03:32:57 AM »
You know, when I saw it in the theatres I got a very underwhelmed vibe from the audience.  Nobody clapped or cheered and I heard a few people tentatively asking "so... what did you think of it?" or the equivalent of their friends.

Yeah, the girl I saw it with tonight didn't know it was sci-fi or had aliens in it. :teehee She was also pretty confused and underwhelmed at the end. She kept saying "That's so weird..." the entire movie.

At this point, Avatar's audience is made up of cultural stragglers not wanting to be left behind, not an unstoppable army of True Believers.
乱学者

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
Man, it sure was funny to see Green Shinobi taking the opposite position on Dances With Wolves than he did with my 12 Monkeys remarks. I'm glad to see my points have taken hold with you, GS.

I need to get a live feed of this thread to my phone.

The point was that there is no objective measurement for these criteria, nor does anyone's opinion carry objective truth. You cannot objectively say "the characterization in this film is poor," or "the melody in this piece of music is subpar."

But after seeing dozens of movies in a particular genre, you can certainly say whether the writer/director made a tangible effort at developing these aspects of the film, or if he considered them to be unimportant and was instead focusing on something else.

James Cameron had less interest in making an artful, excellent, great, Oscar-worthy film than you do. He just wanted to make a fun action/romance/spectacle/message movie for all ages and genders. He succeeded at that and no one here has disputed his ability to do this.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:06:51 AM by AdmiralViscen »

Green Shinobi

« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »
I doubt it will be as eventful from here on out. I'm done arguing about this movie. Even when I win I lose. Besides, all the major players have seen it at this point, and the consensus on the forum is that it's not nearly as popular here as it is with most other audiences. I'm not going to change anyone's mind any more than they're going to change mine. Not worth fighting about.

I watched A Serious Man with a friend for a second time tonight, and damn if that movie isn't hilarious on a second viewing. Patel was spot on when he said that it's funny in the same way God from the Old Testament is funny. It still ranks well below The Big Lebowski, No Country, and Fargo for me, but it's damn good.

Powerslave

« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Green Shinoobi I can offer you a free course on how to post on the internet. It'll only cost you 20 dollars an hour.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
There are so many differences though.

Does Jake Sully open the movie with a suicide run across enemy lines that earns him a transfer off the battlefield? Does he go to Pandora seeking solitude? Does he find that the Navi have killed everyone at his station? When he meets Neytiri, is she a human taken in by the Navi who has just slit her wrists?

I could keep going, but it should be clear that Avatar is quite different from Dances With Wolves unless you boil it down to a bare skeleton of plot points.

... So what you're saying is that Avatar is just a pale imitation, completely devoid of the characterization that helped Dances with Wolves become so popular.

Yup, that's basically what he's saying.
PS4

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
So you cared about the specific motivations that the character had, and not the plot points the movie followed in order to tell the story?  That makes less sense actually because of how simple the plot was.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »
The Hurt Locker was pretty fuckin' good, if incredibly one-dimensional. OK, let's play nice and call it "focused". Bomb disposal squads were a part of everyday life in Belfast but this brought home to me yet again just what a vile and cowardly tactic these things are. I am once again overcome with amazement that anyone managed to stomach sitting down at a table with cocksuckers like Martin McGuiness long enough to negotiate a lasting peace settlement.
vjj

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
I liked the hurt locker because it resonated a lot of what soilders were having to deal with in iraq.  Anyone and no one could be trying to kill you.  That and the language barrier makes protocol a bitch.
sad

Green Shinobi

« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
The best thing about The Hurt Locker was how well it depicted the feeling of paranoia that people in that situation would face. The scene where the lead bomb disposal guy goes out to try to find the people who killed the kid was absolutely brilliant. It was the very definition of paranoia - being frantically on the lookout for something that isn't there. The fact that the guy whose house he broke into was apparently college-educated made it even better. It really fucked with the stereotypical perceptions many Americans have of Iraqis (bunch of dumb camel-fucking towel-heads).

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »
The best thing about The Hurt Locker is when James returns home, and his adjustment (or lack thereof) to civilian life. Those few minutes are handled with subtlety sorely lacking from several of this year's Best Picture nominees.
PSP

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
The best thing about The Hurt Locker is when James returns home, and his adjustment (or lack thereof) to civilian life. Those few minutes are handled with subtlety sorely lacking from several of this year's Best Picture nominees.

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking...smh
SRY

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »
in the loop

immediately
Tonya

Green Shinobi

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
Up in the Air is extremely culturally relevant right now, but I honestly thought it paled in comparison with Thank You For Smoking.

Jin, if you haven't seen The Hurt Locker, watch that one right now. A Serious Man is also excellent, though as I've said, it's a second-tier Coen film IMO, which means it's still quite good.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Up in the Air is extremely culturally relevant right now, but I honestly thought it paled in comparison with Thank You For Smoking.
What in terms of humor?  I guess I can agree with that but Up in the Air wasn't really a satire.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
What in terms of humor?  I guess I can agree with that but Up in the Air wasn't really a satire.

Everything. Thank You For Smoking had a stronger message, better writing, and yes, it was funnier.

This is NOT to say that I didn't like Up in the Air.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
I forgot it even had a message to be honest.  If TYFS was released 60 years ago to the Don Draper audience, then yeah it would be very relevant but people already knew all about the bullshit with tobacco companies and the marketing of the product so it's sort of beating a dead horse.  On the other hand, Up in the Air was talking about a more contemporary problem and sort of attacks the policies of a type of company very few of us even knew existed and can be freshly horrified/disgusted by (firing people over the internet!).

But as far as like the "characters" go, TYFS was really charming but it gave us caricatures of people we already imagined existing (cowboys pitching tobacco, sleazes shifting the PR blame, etc) while Up in the Air made something different.  That movie wasn't so much about the satire or wit.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
Thank You For Smoking is about how a man can make a living telling lies he doesn't even believe in. It's about how the ability to deceive people constantly originates inside a person. That, to me, is a much more timeless theme than the one in Up in the Air.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:26 PM »
i'm going to back up Green here.

it's kind of a counterpart to vonnegut's mother night, but told as satire
Tonya

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Am Nintenho, the Cowboy in the movie is based off of someone very, very real.  And something similiar happened to him, except he accepted no payout.
I knew it was the marlboro man and obviously it was about how fake the industry's "icons" were, which I'd already learned through many PSA's over the years.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »
I also agree that TYFS is better than Up in the Air! Look how much love is in this thread. :heart
乱学者

Green Shinobi

« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
Enough love for you to unblock my PMs?

Thread reminds me that I still need to see In the Loop.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
I haven't seen TYFS yet, wtf is wrong with me :(

read the book if you can find it

spoiler (click to show/hide)
then read florence of arabia.  try not to get caught with it or you'll probably be murdered.  i mean "sent to allah"
[close]
Tonya

cool breeze

« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:54 PM »
Thank You For Smoking is better but Up in the Air was on it's way for being better until the last third or so.  Actually, specifically the scene at the end of the movie took a lot away for me.  I'm talking about the
people talking about how they cope with unemployment.  I really hated that.
[close]

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
in the loop

immediately
this

but i haven't seen the other two :(
AMC

cool breeze

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
Why did you hate it?

It just felt out of place, like it was put in just to be uplifting or more topical.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
Thank You For Smoking is better but Up in the Air was on it's way for being better until the last third or so.  Actually, specifically the scene at the end of the movie took a lot away for me.  I'm talking about the
people talking about how they cope with unemployment.  I really hated that.
[close]

I think the point of that whole scene was to contrast with Clooney's character

Clooney's character, even though he has a job, has no family or wife to go home to, which he realizes is important at the end of the film. That's the point of the unemployed at the end of the scene.
[close]

Yeah, I would have to say that Up in the Air isn't going to get my Best Picture nod either. I still have a few of the films to see (including the Hurt Locker) but it's safe to say it's not going to win a Best Picture Oscar IMO.
HLR

cool breeze

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »
Those were real people, not actors.  They were the same people they had relive their lay-offs.  It didn't think there was anything inauthentic about it.

I didn't mean to say it was inauthentic.

I think the point of that whole scene was to contrast with Clooney's character

Clooney's character, even though he has a job, has no family or wife to go home to, which he realizes is important at the end of the film. That's the point of the unemployed at the end of the scene.
[close]

I see what you mean but it doesn't really change how I feel.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »
AMC

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:45 AM »

I don't have you on Ignore so I have no idea why your PMs would be blocked!
乱学者

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2010, 03:32:30 AM »

I don't have you on Ignore so I have no idea why your PMs would be blocked!

PMs and posts on the board are blocked separately.

But please keep him blocked, I just know it's driving him nuts not to be able to have SECRET CONVERSATIONS with you. :lol
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
In LOST's alternate reality, Avatar would be laughed off like the drek it is
fat

Green Shinobi

« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2010, 03:44:16 AM »
Yeah, too bad we don't live there. We're stuck with this stupid shit reality where Avatar won Best Picture at the Golden Globes and got nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. Fuck. that. shit.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2010, 03:45:06 AM »
Then you know what we must do... change history
fat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2010, 03:46:30 AM »
Then you know what we must do... change history

Can we buttrape Hitler?
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2010, 03:48:01 AM »
No, that can stay
fat

Raban

• The baby...
SRY

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2010, 04:00:29 AM »
wait, Avatar won the Golden Globe for best drama? :lol

somehow I missed that :lol

>:(
[close]
:lol
[close]
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
wait, Avatar won the Golden Globe for best drama? :lol

somehow I missed that :lol

>:(
[close]
:lol
[close]

And James Cameron won for Best Director.
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »
Nazi Julie Andrews
AMC

Green Shinobi

« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:36 AM »
Inglorious Basterds would be a much better choice than Up in the Air.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:54 AM »
I felt Inglourious Basterds was pretty far up it's own ass.

Green Shinobi

« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »
The final caption in that Avatar/Lost gif is driving me crazy. It should either be "gets to walk again and goes hunting and becomes a leader and shit" or "gets to walk again and go hunting and become a leader and shit." You cannot have "goes" and "become" in the sentence together. The verb tenses do not agree. Fuck!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
OH FUCKING SHIT LOST IS ON TONIGHT I FUCKING FORGOT WOOO WOOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOO WOOOO WOOOOWOO OOWOOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWWOWOWOOOOO!

Powerslave

« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
The final caption in that Avatar/Lost gif is driving me crazy. It should either be "gets to walk again and goes hunting and becomes a leader and shit" or "gets to walk again and go hunting and become a leader and shit." You cannot have "goes" and "become" in the sentence together. The verb tenses do not agree. Fuck!

you dont get it

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
The sentence experienced Season 5 time travel.
AMC

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
I felt Inglourious Basterds was pretty far up it's own ass.
A Tarantino flick?  Surely you kid! :teehee
Well..not really.  I liked most all of his other movies because they didn't take themselves seriously and were content with being tributes to genre films.  He works will with that formula, even as far as he enjoys reaching up his own ass.  But IB was about WW2 and the holocaust and Nazi propaganda and real events that people have real emotions for.  Not something you can project a bunch of childish revenge fantasies onto.

Shuri

« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
I saw Avatar a couple of days ago, and if it wasnt for the 3D stuff, the movie would had horribly bombed. It feels like a movie adaptation of a videogame, it was so full of stereotypes. The 3D effects  was good but I dont even want to watch that movie again. What a marketing gimmick this was. People ate that shit up like crack. I swear to god I felt like I was watching unskippable cutscenes from a game the entire time.

Maybe I'm just too old.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:18:32 PM by Shuri »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
I imagine the majority of the people who saw Avatar watched it in 2D.
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »
I imagine the majority of the people who saw Avatar watched it in 2D.

Pretty sure this is wrong.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

According to the National Association of Theater Owners, the latest available statistic for national average ticket price is $7.61 for the fourth quarter of 2009. IMAX reports an average ticket price of $14.58, but, at the time of this writing, there is no official word for regular 3D presentations. A survey of theaters across the country shows a $2 to $4 premium for 3D over 2D and indicates a $10 average ticket price. With these stats one can estimate 38.7 million tickets have been sold in regular 3D, 15.2 million sold in 2D and 6.8 million tickets sold in IMAX 3D.
AMC

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
I was thinking of IMAX 3D since there is a limited number of IMAX theaters showing it.  My mistake.
🍆🍆

Green Shinobi

« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
It was actually based on the Book of Job? I saw some similarities, but I wasn't aware that was the intention. Good jon, Coens.

Edit: that actually makes more sense since Yahweh's rebuke of Job is one of the more unintentionally hilarious things in the Old Testament.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Why has there never been a thread dedicated to discussing "A Serious Man" but there's a two threads for Avatar with over 1000 posts?

We had one, two people posted in it. Then it died.

http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?topic=32705.0
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2010, 10:18:16 PM »
The Avatar threads aren't even remotely about Avatar though. Ironically, they are about a serious man.
vjj

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2010, 10:22:52 PM »
Wtf? That's unforgivable.

I blame James Cameron.

Blame the fact that the movie never got a wide release instead.
PS4

Green Shinobi

« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »
Sy Abelman really is one of the best "villains" in recent years.

Question:

What did you guys think was the connection between the Yiddish scene at the beginning and the rest of the film? Particularly about the dybbuk.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »
Sy Abelman really is one of the best "villains" in recent years.

Question:

What did you guys think was the connection between the Yiddish scene at the beginning and the rest of the film? Particularly about the dybbuk.
[close]

None, according to the Coens, other than to start the movie off with a certain mood.
[close]
dog