Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire discussion  (Read 52035 times)

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire discussion
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
just let it wash over you

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
The show isn't even coming on this year and will STILL release the final season before Martin gets another book out  :lol

Anyone who buys that Fire & Blood book is a sap btw. That's where his time has gone for the last few years...that, and working this new prequel show idea. Laughable.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2018, 11:55:12 PM »
I don’t care what anyone says about the time jump and the knot or whatever I think it’s pretty obvious at this point he didn’t give a fuck past storm.

El Babua

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
GRRM finally somewhat talking about his progress

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/8g34dz/spoilers_extended_grrm_confirms_he_has_not/

Quote from: GRRM

Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.

I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

:doge

Bebpo

« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2018, 12:43:56 AM »
whoops, that does not sound positive.

Freyj

« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
Time for Gaiman to cry about fans again.

Really no reason to be invested in this shitshow anymore.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2018, 05:37:25 AM »
It's not like the books were any good past the 3rd one anyways. (The ammount of magical bullshit that gets introduced in the 3rd one soured me on that one as well.)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2018, 04:13:56 PM »
Good news, an update on Winds of Winter!

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/1044054/Game-of-Thrones-George-RR-Martin-The-Winds-of-Winter-update-Fire-and-Blood-ASOIAF

spoiler (click to show/hide)
...he's "struggling" to write it lololololol
[close]
yar

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »
linking to daily express  :comeon

Himu

« Reply #369 on: November 12, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
*sees thread bumped*
*chuckles*
*sees Snorenado bumped it*
*chuckles harder*
*clicks link while chuckling*
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #370 on: November 12, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
Sure it will, as a tv show. Then we can all put it behind us

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #371 on: June 27, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »
Yeahhhh

You know when he actually said last year "If I don't have Winds done by the time I go to this NZ con you can lock me away for good", I actually had a little hope that he was getting close to done and was focused on the book and would finish it by mid-2020.

But now? After all this writing in his cabin and he still says he has a ways to go and is talking about next year, lol

What I don't get is if he's being honest (and tbf as much as people give him shit I don't see any reason he would lie in his updates, be too optimistic, sure, but not lie), and he's knocking out a chapter every 3-4 days or so. I mean even if this book is two thousand pages long (which it won't be), there's not that many chapters in one of these books and at a rate of a chapter every 3-4 days, he should be done with the first draft in a couple months if he was at least like halfway.

So either he keeps deleting and re-writing chapters after finishing them or he gets out a chapter or two and then takes long week or two breaks between them.

I've been in the boat for the last 5-8 years that Winds will come out and Spring will not, but Winds will move the pieces to a close enough endpoint there will still be some closure for a lot of characters and a clear direction of where it would have likely ended up. So I really do hope Winds does finish and come out. But yeah, I've stopped caring since it's pretty obvious GRRM sucks at writing this book. There's no way, no matter how busy you are, that you can't finish one book in a series you are invested writing over a ten year period.

Hell I have to imagine a huge problem with the book is how the fuck do you write a novel over 10 years? 10 years is such a long time, but year 9 you are a different person than you were when you wrote the chapters in year 1. I can see why he might be tossing and re-writing chapters if they are from 5 years back and now they don't match up with the style of his current writing. I bet he just tossed it all and started over at some point and tried to knock it out like a normal book.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #373 on: June 27, 2020, 05:36:13 PM »
It's bloat. If you look at what he produced over which time period, the books that had a tight narrative arc and were focused on story telling were the first three, which I think were completed over about a nine year period but published in about 4 (96-00) and then look at Feast and Dance, which were written over roughly the same length of time (00-10) but only two books, and are characterized by a fetishistic approach to world building at the expense of the established narrative (or really any narrative)

Another way to look at it: he wrote the first 3 books over his 40's, became less productive and dicked around in his 50's, and now in his 60's+ he's just sort of wandering around going to cons and putting out Westerosi history books.

Bottom line: I will be shocked if Winds is ever finished by Martin, and I will eat one of my feet if Spring is ever finished in his lifetime.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2020, 06:16:33 PM »
I hope the bore lasts another 20 years so we can make you eat your feet

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
I hope the bore lasts another 20 years so we can make you eat your feet

Don't get greedy bitch, I specified ONE of my feet just to hedge my bets :wag
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »
it's crazy to think this dude was working on winds of winter right when i discovered GoT was a thing, and still hasn't finished it yet.  :doge

on the other hand, it took me 9 years to finally start watching GoT, so...:yeshrug

El Babua

« Reply #377 on: June 27, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »
Winds of Winter post mortem:

GRRM: "So I actually started writing for real right after Season 8 ended"

bluemax

« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:09 AM »
The honest answer is he only ever planned the first third of his trilogy. But it took him 4 books to write that 1/3 of a trilogy worth of plot he came up with. He took the remaining bits and shit out a 5th book and he hasn't had any ideas or material to work with since. He also got rich and famous and back on TV again which is what inspired him to start writing in the first place, so whatever motivation he had was completely gone.

So he has no incentive to write, and everyone knows how it ends, so the only difference would be the journey. And sure we can argue the last season was rushed could've used more time for plots to grow, but even if you had all that plot stretched out over a long ass book or two, would it make how you feel about it any different with the Night King being a nothingburger and Bran ending up as King?
NO

El Babua

« Reply #379 on: July 19, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
After 9 years of George never giving us a progress update on Winds, we got 2 in one month!

Quote from: GRRM
This writing stuff is hard.

Even so, it has been going well of late. Three more chapters completed this past week.   And good progress on several more. Still a long long way to go, though. Do not get too excited.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

I think I may have been right  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #380 on: July 19, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »
So I'm gonna assume the draft before cutting down will be something like 100 chapters.

Therefore at least 6 down, 94 to go!

Tasty

« Reply #382 on: July 29, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
I mean, by way of quarantine...

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
:drudge

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/02/02/reflections-on-a-bad-year/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

:drudge

I wrote hundreds and hundreds of pages of THE WINDS OF WINTER in 2020. [...] I still have hundreds of more pages to write to bring the novel to a satisfactory conclusion. That’s what 2021 is for, I hope.
[close]

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »
He wrote "hundreds and hundreds," but only has "hundreds" more to go... that's one less "-and hundreds"! Progress. 8)

Tasty

« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
Also to be fair, you cut this bit:

The best year I’ve had on WOW since I began it.    Why?  I don’t know.   Maybe the isolation.   Or maybe I just got on a roll.   Sometimes I do get on a roll.

In terms of momentum, if he's telling the truth that's fairly promising.

But I haven't been on the Winds merry-go-round as long as the rest of you, I admit. :P

El Babua

« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2021, 09:08:24 PM »
He wrote "hundreds and hundreds," but only has "hundreds" more to go... that's one less "-and hundreds"! Progress. 8)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2021, 09:20:22 PM »
Does anyone really give a fuck at this stage?

He can't rescue that ending.
Spud