Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1312821 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
A testament to the stability of their unchecked post-colonial rule. (I guess no one talks about ZANU-PF, but Mugabe instead, but you know what I mean.)

On a related note, I ended up buying that horribly out of date "teach yourself Afrikaans" book from my local used bookstore. I figure if I've already studied 2 African lingua francas, why not one more? :larry

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Harper OKs potentially unconstitutional China-Canada FIPA deal, coming into force October 1

Chinese companies can sue Canada 

As FIPA comes into force, it would have a major impact on projects such as Enbridge Northern Gateway and potentially some LNG proposals. The deal would allow Chinese investors to sue British Columbia if it changed course on the Northern Gateway pipeline proposal.

"It is true that Chinese investors can sue Canada for any actions by the federal government or the B.C. government (or legislature or courts) relating to Chinese assets connected to the [Enbridge] Northern Gateway pipeline," Van Harten said.

"More troubling, there is no requirement in the treaty for the federal government to make public the fact of a Chinese investor's lawsuit against Canada until an award has been issued by a tribunal. This means that the federal government could settle the lawsuit, including by varying its conduct in a way that many Canadians would oppose, or by paying out public money before an award is issued, and we would never know."
:cancry

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
A testament to the stability of their unchecked post-colonial rule. (I guess no one talks about ZANU-PF, but Mugabe instead, but you know what I mean.)

On a related note, I ended up buying that horribly out of date "teach yourself Afrikaans" book from my local used bookstore. I figure if I've already studied 2 African lingua francas, why not one more? :larry
If you want I can spitball/talk help you out, I'm pretty good at the language of oppression :rejoice

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Yes your English is excellent, Momo. :shaq

But dankie! (Thank you isn't in this book but voorstad is. :beli.)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Die taal van rasisme :rejoice

English is my first language lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
It's sooo weird.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
ISIS is so corny, brehs. Cutting arab hood promo videos like the ForbezDVD of the 10's.

They're definitely as delusional as Hell Rell.

"We control two countries. Stupid."

"I just copped some weaponized ebola. Stupid."

"The Revolutionary Guard are wack, nobody is scared of them."

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I wish Skrillex was playing over that video.
©@©™

Kara

I wonder if that's the first time "Khazars outchea" has ever been written.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
55 minutes. :holeup

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Someone watch it and let me know if it's got any Skrillex in it.
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/19/russia-calls-foul-scottish-referendum
Russia has said the conduct of the Scottish referendum "did not meet international standards", with its observers complaining the count took place in rooms that were too big and that the procedure was badly flawed.

In an apparent attempt to mirror persistent western criticism of Russia's own elections, Igor Borisov – an accredited observer – said the poll failed to meet basic international norms.

Borisov and three other Russians arrived in Edinburgh on Wednesday evening, the state news agency Ria Novosti reported. The team from Moscow's Public Institute of Suffrage watched voting take place in the Scottish capital and the surrounding area. It also met with Scottish politicians, voters and representatives from non-governmental organisations, Ria said.

Borisov said he was unimpressed by what he saw. He said the room where he watched the count on Thursday night was a cavernous "aircraft hangar" next to an airfield. It was difficult to see what was going on, he said, adding: "The hangar is approximately 100m by 300m. There are tables, with voting papers stacked upon them, but the observers are stuck around the perimeter. Even if you want to, it's impossible to tell what's happening. It's also unclear where the boxes with ballot papers come from."

Borisov said the US state department, the UK and other western countries loudly hectored the Kremlin about Russia's supposed democratic deficiencies. But in this instance, he said, London and Edinburgh had not "fully met" the requirements of a proper referendum.

"Nobody was interested in who was bringing in the voting slips. There were no stamps or signatures as the bulletins were handed over," he said.

The Kremlin propaganda channel RT, meanwhile, speculated that the result might have been rigged and expressed surprise at the "North Korean" levels of turnout.

Afshin Rattansi, the presenter of RT's Going Underground show, said there were "international considerations", such as the UK's nuclear deterrent, which had affected the outcome. He said: "With the vote as close as this, with the mainstream media on one side, with a massive amount of people from Westminster running up to beg Scotland the other way, and certain recounts in certain bits of the poll, which way did the vote go, really?"

He added: "It is normally the sort of turnout you would expect in North Korea. Usually media here would go 'we don't believe it. How can it be nearly 90%?'"

On Friday the Donetsk People's Republic - the Ukrainian rebel enclave - said that it, too, believed the Scottish referendum had been falsified. Miroslav Rudenko, a member of the republic's self-declared supreme council, said he suspected the UK government was guilty of foul play. "I don't rule out that the British authorities have falsified the results of this referendum. The difference between those who voted in favour of independence and against it is not so great," he told the Russian news agency Interfax.

Rudenko said the west was guilty of "double-standards". It had allowed a referendum in Scotland but refused one for Donestk and Luhansk, the rebel enclaves where separatists backed by Kremlin firepower are fighting Ukrainian troops.
:teehee

chronovore

• relapsed dev

"Lames of Fwar"? Who designed that logo?

Kara

Re: ISIS ft. Ebola - International Politics Thread
« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
It sucks that I have no medical training because I'd be happy to volunteer. >:(

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
We gonna talk about Ebola, brehs?

I don't know how much of this panic is pandering to doomsday fanatics, but still...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/ebola-outbreak-collapse-of-three-african-states-possible-9746386.html

(Image removed from quote.)
I believe that the WHO projections put the possible number of dead at 1.4 Million and stated that if it's not stopped soon there will always be a presence.
I know it sounds terrible but in a way I think we're lucky that Ebola isn't highly contagious.  These past few weeks have shown that the world is not at all prepared for an epidemic, especially in Africa. If it was more contagious I think it'd be way way worse than 1.4 Million and 3 african states on the verge of collapse. Maybe this will kick the world leaders in the pants to take this seriously.
que

Kara

« Reply #978 on: September 24, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
:heh Yeah right.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #979 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »
The best hope for africa is for outsourcing firms to setup there. Then people will care.
que

benjipwns

« Reply #980 on: September 24, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
If three "states" in Africa collapse does it make a sound?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #981 on: September 24, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
I keep misreading the thread title as Idris Elba - International Politics Thread
:tocry

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #983 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37:54 PM »
Kangaroos and drop bears are a bigger threat to Australia than Middle Eastern terrorists.
dog

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #984 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
If three "states" in Africa collapse does it make a sound?
pathological anarchical determinism

it's so empirical friends

Kara

« Reply #985 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:10 AM »
Kangaroos and drop bears are a bigger threat to Australia than Middle Eastern terrorists.

The boredom of Alice Springs too, probably.

Kara

« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
Please give us back our City of London corporations can vote democracy, CPC. >:(

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #987 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #988 on: September 30, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
I am getting increasingly bemused by the idea that ISIS possess such a huge threat to the west -and- to combat ability of each nation

Britain announced thier Airforce just wasn't up to , you know, air based missions. Come now... such bullshit

and the idea that if this was a -serious- actual threat that the USA would struggle with it? come now. The hawks would have you believe the USA can take on everyone at the same time , yet 40-50k medium armed insurgents rabble rousing is the next threat to the USA? Come the f- on.

If all of this is true - god HELP the US / Britain if the engage any half decently armed country.

Such bollox
O=X

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: September 30, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
Obviously, you aren't aware that Obama successfully gutted the US military.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #990 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102037055

not concerned considering he would have to spit blood on someone Always Sunny style to spread that shit.

but lol @ the Obama administration. Less than a month after saying this couldn't happen. When it rains it pours, dude is gonna be Bush status before the end of the year.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #991 on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

I'm... not impressed by this one.

Maybe because i'm so damn tired of listening to people ramble about the pros and cons.  :yeshrug

EDIT: that obama segment... :holeup

You can't joke about murdering people :dead

Same. I just don't believe the pros of drone strikes out way the cones. Everything about drones, from the actual bombing of looselye identified targets to all the paperwork and bullshit behind it is icky and fucking suspect.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #992 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »
Lots of people in Hong Kong aren't too happy right now:

dog

Kara

« Reply #993 on: October 01, 2014, 12:48:51 AM »
I wonder if People's Daily has any English coverage of this, but not enough to go and find out. :chinacry

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #994 on: October 01, 2014, 03:03:23 AM »
itm

Himu

« Reply #995 on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
Lots of people in Hong Kong aren't too happy right now:

I think they should wait for the facts
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #996 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
HK protesters using hands up, don't shoot from Ferguson

https://mobile.twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/516394848493244416/photo/1
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #997 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
I am getting increasingly bemused by the idea that ISIS possess such a huge threat to the west -and- to combat ability of each nation

Britain announced thier Airforce just wasn't up to , you know, air based missions. Come now... such bullshit

and the idea that if this was a -serious- actual threat that the USA would struggle with it? come now. The hawks would have you believe the USA can take on everyone at the same time , yet 40-50k medium armed insurgents rabble rousing is the next threat to the USA? Come the f- on.

If all of this is true - god HELP the US / Britain if the engage any half decently armed country.

Such bollox

Didn't you hear? Obama is personally responsible for everything wrong in the world and against doing anything about it as reparations for his anti-colonial views.
©ZH

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #998 on: October 01, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
I wonder if People's Daily has any English coverage of this, but not enough to go and find out. :chinacry
China is n baie goeie bondgenoot van ons, maar ek voel dieselfde, kannie omgee om vyf minute te spandeer om daaroor the lees nie  :heh

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #999 on: October 01, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »

So many patriots out celebrating National day. What a sight! :chinacry
bent

Himu

IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #1003 on: October 01, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
I think they should wait for the facts

Tongzhi Deng Xiaoping did tell us to seek truth from facts. :hitler

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: October 01, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
Texas decided not to expand medicaid under the ACA, by the way.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1005 on: October 01, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
I'm fucking tell you. Garbage state. Garbagggge. :trash

The entire situation just raises so many questions.

If he was turned away by the hospital staff despite saying he's from Liberia, why didn't they go to another hospital?

So despite coming from fucking Liberia and having ebola symptoms, why the fuck did he interact with people for two whole days? Does he not have any societal responsibility?

How the fuck did guy from Liberia manage to get on a flight to America in the first place?

Why doesn't CDC contain people who come from west africa?

Why would any self respecting hospital turn away a patient with flu-like symptoms who stresses he just came from Liberia?

From all accounts, the entire story reeks of incompetence from all parties. This isn't just an American thing. What if it moves to a place like India? Jesus Christ.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:28:12 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1006 on: October 01, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/how-did-ebola-patient-escape-two-days-n216216

:piss Texas :piss2
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/01/thompson-dallas-county-ebola-patient-cases/16524303/

I’d be up for excising Texas from the union. It seems like they’re American every time there’s a moment to have a gun rights discussion, an illegal immigrant discussion, or when anyone questions their American-ness in any way, BUT when anything about actually following federal laws they don’t like, they point out that they never officially re-joined the union due to some technicality of paperwork, and can’t be legally held accountable.

Have your red, white, and blue cake and eat it too, brehs.

Evac Himumu. Quarantine the state. Take off, and nuke the site from orbit.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1007 on: October 01, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »
So the people who he's been in contact with aren't quarantined? The arrogance of this fucking state and country.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1008 on: October 01, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »
Rick Perry is all best buds with the CDC. I wonder if they were one of the agencies that he couldn't remember he wanted to cut.  :heh
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1009 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »
i still don't understand why he's not in jail
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #1010 on: October 01, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
What I've gathered from this is that I need to get a job in the Texas medical industry.

I have no qualifications, but I feel like that won't be a problem for Texas.

Himu

« Reply #1011 on: October 01, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
:sabu
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1012 on: October 01, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
Saw this image on FB. Don't like it.

I'm not saying we should panic, but it feels like both the government and media are downplaying the entire situation, which is odd considering past disease panic scares. It's as if they know that it IS a legitimate health crisis and are trying to downplay it. The symptoms of Ebola are strikingly similar to the common flu or other disease, and as we know, America has a culture that frowns upon not working because of sickness. Pull up your boot straps mentality, basically.

We know that Ebola spreads through contact with the infected. What if someone who works in a restaurant and prepares your food and unknowingly has Ebola spreads it via food prep? America loves fast food. Fast food workers work sick all the fucking time because they have to due to the failure of the American healthcare system. And people are placing faith in that very same system that failed to catch and quarantine Patient #1?

This image posted talks about blood, sweat, and vomit, when let's say, someone with ebola throws up in a public place. Who do they think cleans that up? Do the people who made this live in a fucking bubble? The naivete and arrogance that we shouldn't have to worry about this at all because we live in a first world nation is both sad and infuriating. We shouldn't be panicking over it, but the snide downplaying of it because we live in a first world nation is disgustingly classist. In some ways, racist as well.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1013 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I didn't say to panic, but it's like people don't give a shit. When they should definitely be giving a shit.
IYKYK

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #1014 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:19 PM »
America's infrastructure and health services are pretty shit but I think it's safe to say they're more advanced than those of one of the poorest and least-developed countries on the planet. Downplaying it is perfectly fine. You don't spend your days worrying about dysentery or a cholera epidemic sweeping the nation, do you?
bent

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1015 on: October 02, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »
Yeah, don't worry people are already freaking out. While discussing it on the radio this morning, they felt it important to say how many times that same plane that carried the infected guy has since landed in Portland. As though the plane is just hopping around spreading death. ::) no shortage of fear mongering and hand wringing here.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1016 on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
I have touched vomit, sweat, blood, urine and feces but I don't know if that stranger had ebola or not.
que

Kara

« Reply #1017 on: October 02, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
I have touched vomit, sweat, blood, urine and feces but I don't know if that stranger had ebola or not.

Does this guy know how to party or what?

benjipwns

« Reply #1018 on: October 02, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
America's infrastructure and health services are pretty shit but I think it's safe to say they're more advanced than those of one of the poorest and least-developed countries on the planet. Downplaying it is perfectly fine. You don't spend your days worrying about dysentery or a cholera epidemic sweeping the nation, do you?
Yeah, there's a reason that one person having Ebola in the country is nationwide news and receiving hours of coverage.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1019 on: October 02, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »
Yeah, there's a reason that one person having Ebola in the country is nationwide news and receiving hours of coverage.

I remember after the Fukushima incident, the news once reported "radiation from Japan almost detectable in Colorado.” What does that even mean? “Almost detectable” means “undetectable,” so this is NON-NEWS. It’s just an attempt to keep us in fear.

By the way, fear and stress will diminish your immune system over time, so watch out for that.

The handling of this patient was incompetent, and Texas should be severed from the union, but unless the Patient Zero boyfriend or the mother of those five children licked them before sending them to play at school, and there was a feces-sharing event at recess, things will probably be OK.

BTW, I’m coining this now: feces play at recess is called “Fecess."