Author Topic: International Politics Thread - Disease and Disaster  (Read 1312808 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: ISIS ft. Ebola - International Politics Thread
« Reply #1020 on: October 02, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
The funny thing is that the natural radiation you'd get just from being in Colorado, especially in the mountains, would make you shit your pants if you were afraid of an almost detectable level from Japan.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1021 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Isn't there a nuclear arsenal still in Colorado? :heh

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1022 on: October 02, 2014, 10:53:29 PM »

Don't lick it or you'll get Ebola! Wait, am I doing this right?
©@©™

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #1023 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
Russkies getting a bit cocky/funny in the Baltic in recent months. FRA, our SIGINT agency, do regular flights in international airspace between Sweden and the baltic states + Kaliningrad. In July, Russia started intercepting these flights with Su-27:s from Kaliningrad. This is a pic taken from an FRA Gulfstream SIGINT plane in mid-July:

Full loadout! :punch
地平線

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1024 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »
I've always loved that paint scheme.

------------------

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-global-income-equality-1820s-oecd.html

The gap between the haves and the have-nots globally is now at the same level as in the 1820s, the OECD said Thursday, warning it was one of the most "worrying" developments over the past 200 years.

In a major report on global well-being over the past two centuries, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development noted inequality shot up after globalisation took root in the 1980s.Researchers studied income levels in 25 countries, charted them back in time to 1820 and then collated them as if the world were a single country.

The results showed that income inequality dropped sharply in the middle of the 20th century—which the OECD put down to what it called an "egalitarian revolution", notably with the rise of Communism in Eastern Europe—but then spiked more recently.

The conclusion: "People's well-being has generally progressed since the early 20th century across a large part of the world."

Life expectancy worldwide has shot up from less than 30 years in 1880 to almost 70 in 2000.

Literacy too has risen dramatically. Less than 20 percent of people could read in 1820; now the figure is around 80 percent.

Change we can believe in. :hitler

benjipwns

« Reply #1025 on: October 03, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
Imperialist West ruining it for the rest of the world:

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1026 on: October 03, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »
Someone's gotta buy all the cheap shit, man.

Kara

« Reply #1027 on: October 03, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »
Imperialist West ruining it for the rest of the world:
(Image removed from quote.)

We're talking about international issues, I thought that was a given.

benjipwns

« Reply #1028 on: October 03, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
Did you pick that up from the GAF thread, I linked to the report, you should look at their data quality page. The one part basically says "we guessed" for Africa and Asia pre-1900. And "we 'extrapolated' from a couple data points, then guessed" for most everything else pre-1900.

I guess that's what you get when you try to map all the WDI's for the entire world back to 1820 based on twenty-five countries in nine regions that you averaged to get "the world."

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/economics/how-was-life_9789264214262-en

TL;DR benji-summary: FREEEEE MARRRRRKEEEETTTTTSSSSSSSSS, MORE CAPITAL, MOREEEEEE, CRUSH THE WORKERS

Rman

« Reply #1029 on: October 03, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
So someone from D.C is showing ebola like symptoms?

Hoo boy.

If this hits NYC area, it's gonna be panic city due to the population density there.

« Reply #1030 on: October 03, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
so this is how they plan to kill the obamas
😈

Kara

« Reply #1031 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
Did you pick that up from the GAF thread, I linked to the report, you should look at their data quality page. The one part basically says "we guessed" for Africa and Asia pre-1900. And "we 'extrapolated' from a couple data points, then guessed" for most everything else pre-1900.

I guess that's what you get when you try to map all the WDI's for the entire world back to 1820 based on twenty-five countries in nine regions that you averaged to get "the world."

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/economics/how-was-life_9789264214262-en

TL;DR benji-summary: FREEEEE MARRRRRKEEEETTTTTSSSSSSSSS, MORE CAPITAL, MOREEEEEE, CRUSH THE WORKERS

I didn't look at the data but just intuitively it seemed rather specious to me. The varieties of modes of production in effect that far back and the discrepancies in monetary systems alone make such an endeavor rather ridiculous. Subsistence farming was far more pervasive back then ffs.

I just know that people who play for the "big league" political ideologies here at the Bore give a shit about income inequality and I am nothing but a humble servant of the people who passed it along with little editorializing.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1032 on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »

Don't lick it or you'll get Ebola! Wait, am I doing this right?

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1033 on: October 04, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
NY panic huh? I'm spending the weekend there in two weeks.  :o
Hi

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1034 on: October 04, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
On the list of "shit I can skip" Bill Maher arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam is right up with Sonic fanfic and bestiality videos
vin

Kara

« Reply #1035 on: October 04, 2014, 07:32:25 PM »
It's pretty bad when a breh whose recent claim to fame was making a movie about how much Iran sucks has to take you to task for behaving questionably with regard to Islam.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1036 on: October 05, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »
On the list of "shit I can skip" Bill Maher arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam is right up with Sonic fanfic and bestiality videos

Eh, it was worth the 10 minutes, and it’s rare to be able to say that with random YouTube clips.

Affleck’s passionate but unwilling to listen. Maher isn’t going to convince anyone who wasn’t already leaning his way.

There’s a larger pattern to be recognized here, which was in the statement about the Muslim leaders who risked their lives by signing a condemnation of ISIS, but which wasn’t covered by the western news media. It’s interesting that in the heat of the moment, no-one realized that the defenders of Islam on Affleck’s side cemented Maher’s point by stating that these leaders had effectively put their lives in danger. Conversely, Maher’s speaker barely got in a word to show that the reformers of Islam should be publicized, but it didn’t benefit from near-enough connection with the earlier statement about the leaders.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Kara

« Reply #1038 on: October 05, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
I actually want to ply my trade down there (no joke). :heh

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1039 on: October 05, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
I actually want to ply my trade down there (no joke). :heh

“...said the vicar to the actress."

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1041 on: October 05, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »

By the nature of their business they already have massive compliance problems, why add to those by shirking their duties to file payroll and income tax returns as well? That's how they got Al Capone, after all. (They probably have a duty to file sales tax returns too, knowing the State Board of Equalization...)

Besides, I think I could bring a level of apathetic detachment to material excess the industry needs to have decent internal control. Cash business? Cash and illegal business? Cash, illegal, and international business? It's no wonder people are getting knocked off all the time.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1042 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
can we just agree that all Abrahamic religions are trash and move on.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1043 on: October 05, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »

By the nature of their business they already have massive compliance problems, why add to those by shirking their duties to file payroll and income tax returns as well? That's how they got Al Capone, after all. (They probably have a duty to file sales tax returns too, knowing the State Board of Equalization...)

Besides, I think I could bring a level of apathetic detachment to material excess the industry needs to have decent internal control. Cash business? Cash and illegal business? Cash, illegal, and international business? It's no wonder people are getting knocked off all the time.

You could be their savior! Bringing accountability through accounting. There’s a trite poetry to it.

Please, though, definitely arrange for your post-mortal-coil affairs to be in order before introducing your reforms.

FWIW, a friend of mine was recently freed from captivity after being held by Somali pirates for nearly three years. In the aftermath, it was reported that three people were killed while resolving the distribution of the (unverified) ransom payment. Think what you could have added to that conversation! 

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #1044 on: October 06, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
can we just agree that all Abrahamic religions are trash and move on.
Millennialism

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #1045 on: October 06, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/04/world/asia/north-korea-officials-surprise-visit/index.html

coup time?

North Korean escobar season has returned :rejoice
Yeah, that's not unforeseeable.
I mean even after he came into power I was like, I hope this dude can get the military behind him quick and with an iron fist or he's out.
That being said, that guy's hat is begging to be photoshopped with Toad's hat.
que

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1046 on: October 06, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »

kingkitty

Re: Kim Jong Un :flabbypd - International Politics Thread
« Reply #1047 on: October 06, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »
I don't think it'll be any different with or without fatty kim. Maybe less people will be executed by mortar rounds?

Kara

« Reply #1048 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
Betraying the Juche ideal smh.

benjipwns

« Reply #1049 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:16 AM »
I don't see anything on KCNA so I'm going to call fake.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1050 on: October 06, 2014, 02:19:04 AM »
Rodman, explain!
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1051 on: October 06, 2014, 05:03:00 AM »
You could be their savior! Bringing accountability through accounting. There’s a trite poetry to it.

Please, though, definitely arrange for your post-mortal-coil affairs to be in order before introducing your reforms.

FWIW, a friend of mine was recently freed from captivity after being held by Somali pirates for nearly three years. In the aftermath, it was reported that three people were killed while resolving the distribution of the (unverified) ransom payment. Think what you could have added to that conversation!

What affairs. :heh The only thing to arrange is someone other than a blood relative taking custody of my body.

Glad your friend is OK, I definitely have no interest in getting involved with (nautical) piracy. (Admiralty law is :holeup.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1052 on: October 06, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
Yeah, my FB has been awash in it for the past week. It is all very recent, and we were beginning to give up hope. I wish I could be more forgiving, but I was not unpleased to read about the three people biting it in the remittance.

Kara

« Reply #1053 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
Occupational hazard. They knew what they were signing up for. :yeshrug

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #1054 on: October 06, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
Meanwhile back here in the states one freaking survivalist in Pennsylvania is single handidly showing terrorists how to fuck with cops for MONTHS.

YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1055 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »
http://www.ibtimes.com/north-korea-lockdown-pyongyang-reportedly-closed-amid-possible-kim-jong-un-coup-attempt-1698980

Just read an article on this. I belive this could possibly actually be happening based on what's being reported.

IE; His #1 guy was killed
He has not been seen for a long time
He failed to preside over some super special north korean even that apparently is super important.
The #2 guy in the country went to south korea
Pyongyong is locked down.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

Re: Worst Trouble in Best Korea - International Politics Thread
« Reply #1056 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
Lots of rumors about his health right?

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/05/former-north-korean-spy-believes-kim-jong-un-has-been-overthrown-in-silent-coup-4893038/

This new guy seems less war mongeringly stupid than Kim and his family. Hopefully some advancements can be made. From what is being said there is a large famine in N Korea right now and that may be why they are coming to the table.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1057 on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
I know some people visit north korea but man. If this regime ever gets blown the fuck open you're going to see the most depraved things there. Holocaust / Soviet level when they find the labor camps.

Communism bout to take another L :whew

You are now banned from R/Pyongyong  :umad
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #1058 on: October 06, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
I imagine a lot of the people he purged after taking power were actual loyalists to (the ideology of the state) too.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1059 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
I imagine a lot of the people he purged after taking power were actual loyalists to (the ideology of the state) too.

I got banned from the best korea reddit for asking if Kim was killed or poisoned by his political enemies.

"Kim has not every political enemies yankey"

Not sure what yankey means but it's funny.
YMMV

Kara

« Reply #1060 on: October 06, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
Well he did send him to a bastion of turpitude here. (Switzerland)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1061 on: October 06, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »
That would suck if you had EVERY political enemy.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1062 on: October 06, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
Der Spiegel writing dialectical analyses of modern German history. :lawd :lawd :lawd

(One :lawd for each component of the Hegelian dialectic.)

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/how-east-germany-influences-modern-day-german-politics-a-994410.html

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1063 on: October 07, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
Parliamentary inquiry submission makes case for wider powers to detain without charge and jail people for refusing to answer questions
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/05/asio-proposal-coercive-questioning-powers-security-laws

:auscry :auscry :auscry

benjipwns

« Reply #1064 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:21 AM »
How about Fox News discussing Bill Maher arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam:

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1065 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
How about Fox News discussing Bill Maher arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam:

Skip?

Hell, I didn’t even finish your description sentence.
 :heh

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1066 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
It has been free in most states for a while. The tuition thing was a fad that started shortly after the Bologna reforms (moving from Magister/Dilpom to Bachelor and Master) I believe, but tuition was just 500€ every semester, which was pretty fucking low by US and even UK standards. A travesty nonetheless. They tried to sell it as a socially fair move, too. :heh Budgeting is still fucked though. Last time I paid attention the powers that be tried to promote a select few universities and presumably grant them more funding. Outside money from industries is pouring in, too and people fear the influence that comes with it.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1067 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:38 AM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2014/10/07/putin-on-his-birthday-depicted-as-hercules/

I'm pretty sure Putin could win the 2016 GOP primary as a write in at this point
yar

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1068 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2014/10/07/putin-on-his-birthday-depicted-as-hercules/

I'm pretty sure Putin could win the 2016 GOP primary as a write in at this point

I'd highly consider voting for him :umad

Speaking of that is Kurt Russell dead yet? because Big Trouble in Best Korea needs to be made asap. Would be awesome.

You know what Jack Burton would do when he was dropped into a 3rd world communist state? He'd start a liquor store....
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #1069 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »

I'd highly consider voting for him :umad

yes. people will be mad if you say you'll vote for a dictator.

Totally kidding.....Dude has issues.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #1070 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »
The cool thing about Putin is that you don't even have to actually vote for him to do so.

Kara

« Reply #1071 on: October 09, 2014, 02:19:15 AM »
The Russian Federation has an electoral college too?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1072 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
How come Muslims never speak out against violence *hand wring*

She'll forever get dap for confronting Obama in front of his daughter about drones. I'd imagine Obama responded with his typical "who me? I'm not in charge" flurry of nonsense.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1073 on: October 10, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
How come the NRA doesn't speak out about 30,000 gun deaths a year?
©ZH

Kara

« Reply #1074 on: October 14, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »
Make up for (possibly irreversibly) fucking over a region during your explicitly imperialistic era in history with a symbolic vote in your implicitly imperialistic era in history brehs.

fizzel

« Reply #1075 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
Make up for (possibly irreversibly) fucking over a region...

If the region survived the Assyrians, the roman/Persian wars, the Abbasids, the crusades, the mongol and the Turk...it'll survive a few million yids rubbing Mohammedan noses in the shit for a few decades more.

benjipwns

« Reply #1076 on: October 14, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
“Turkey will allow American and coalition troops to use its bases, including a key installation within 100 miles of the Syrian border, for operations against Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq, Defense Department officials said,” the New York Times reported in yesterday’s editions. That “key installation” is Incirlik, the base the Turks wouldn’t let America use in 2003, so you can see how much better the Obama administration is handling things.

So much for that. “Turkish officials said on Monday that there was no deal yet, and that talks were still underway,” the Times reported in today’s editions. “The Turkish comments represented another miscommunication between the United States and its longtime ally.”

This is part of a pattern. Gopal Ratnam and John Hudson of Foreign Policy magazine write that “the alliance may be far less robust than Washington says.” They cite several other examples:

Georgia. “In September, when Foreign Policy reported details of a secret offer by the nation of Georgia to host a training camp for anti-ISIS fighters, the story prompted a strong public backlash in Tbilisi. . . . Within 24 hours, Georgian officials denied having made any such offer.”

Slovenia. Last month “Prime Minister Miro Cerar said his government opposed terrorism, but expressed annoyance that his country was included in the U.S. government’s official list of anti-ISIS partners without being informed.”

Jordan. London’s Times reported last month that Amman “offered to send its Western-trained special forces to combat ISIS in Syria, but the Arab monarchy has yet to confirm the offer.”

The piece adds that “none of the Arab coalition partners, the nations most likely to provide ground troops, have yet to make [sic] such commitments in public.”
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/10/13/the_obama_administration_has_a_kiss_and_tell_problem_terrorism_Turkey_ISIS_Kurdish_Slovenia_Coalition?wp_login_redirect=0

Kara

« Reply #1077 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
If the region survived the Assyrians, the roman/Persian wars, the Abbasids, the crusades, the mongol and the Turk...it'll survive a few million yids rubbing Mohammedan noses in the shit for a few decades more.

Noted nuclear power the Parthian Empire,

BTW, Saracen is the preferred nomenclature. :beli

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Twelver tier shade throwing on the Abassids. :whew Too bad their control of the Levant was nominal ~120 years after coming to power. :lol
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: Oil is :flabbynsick: - International Politics Thread
« Reply #1078 on: October 15, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
Suck it, Prince Dillweed.  8)
©@©™

Am_I_Anonymous

YMMV