Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082948 times)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #7440 on: May 04, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
"Phase 2" started in Italy, though not much really changes, you still gotta stay home for the most part, but you can now get out to "meet with your relatives" as an additional reason, also you can go to the park, though i'm not super clear under what circumstances.
Also some activities are allowed to re-open, but not really. I mean, everybody's pretty confused.
This morning they were fumigating the street with some shit though, not sure what good that does, but it was cool to see.  :doge

Anyway since my stove broke, i had to buy some new ones and i figured i'd switch to induction, so i went to the local minimarket to get some, and also needed pots & pans compatible with it.
They tell me they can sell me the induction stove, but are not allowed to sell pots&pans... however i can buy everything from Amazon and have them delivered in a week at most.  :brain
Is the government trying their hardest to kill local businesses?  :lol

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #7441 on: May 04, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »
"This morning they were fumigating the street with some shit though, not sure what good that does, but it was cool to see.  :doge

The Globalists are already taking advantage of the stay at home orders to initiate their eugenics plans  :stahp
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7442 on: May 04, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
This was the first weekend after Georgia "re-opened" and some things were definitely noticeable.  More cars on the road again (highway still much less busy) and more people out and about in parks and shops, to the point that it was hard to avoid people even outside in some places.

The supermarket was fairly crowded and there were now way more people walking around without masks or gloves and ignoring personal space.  :-\

We got some takeout on Saturday night.  Went to the same place the week before and it was a ghost town.  This past weekend, we pulled up and there was a small crowd outside the restaurant.  "Social distancing" was not a thing here.  My wife hopped out to get the food and I watched as she waited outside for a minute with multiple people coming right up and standing next to her.  At that point, she went in, grabbed the food, and noped the hell out of there.  There's a pizza place next door and while they didn't have any kind of line, what appeared to be three families had decided to get pizzas and then sit on lawn chairs, right next to/near other, eating in the parking lot and taking up a lot of space.
:mindblown
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7443 on: May 04, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »
rip georgia :-\

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7444 on: May 04, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
ὕβρις

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7446 on: May 04, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
Fuckin whites, dude

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7447 on: May 04, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Fucking ironic that they are singing the line "I once was blind but now can see." You numbnuts are as blind as ever

Amazing Grace is probably my favorite patriotic song ever. These shits kinda ruin it for me  :-\

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7448 on: May 04, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
Do I take advantage of the pent up sexual frustration in between waves this Summer or is that guaranteed 'rona. :thinking
https://twitter.com/Nyx_19/status/1257284831853121536

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7449 on: May 04, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7450 on: May 04, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/MichaelDoudna/status/1257049515946725376

May they all get 'rona. Inshallah.

Do I take advantage of the pent up sexual frustration in between waves this Summer or is that guaranteed 'rona. :thinking

You're in Miami, last I checked: Fuck no (pun intended). While Florida isn't bad (yet) with DeSantis opening the state back up, you'd be insane to fuck around (and find out that you got Corona) with how poor the handling of the virus is going. :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7451 on: May 04, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »
big horny may still win

thisismyusername

« Reply #7452 on: May 04, 2020, 12:29:36 PM »
big horny may still win

Not if I storm 21337's backdoor with an armed response/lobby. :doge

Svejk

« Reply #7453 on: May 04, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7455 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:33 PM »
 :-\

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7457 on: May 04, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »
easy to say when shit is still relatively sweet

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7458 on: May 04, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »
I wish I thought that some great scientific awakening is going to come from this, but people are just flipping out because their routines are disrupted. If a scientist comes along that says "Don't do anything different, the other scientists are liberal liars" that would be more than enough for most people to shut your brain down and go back to making your own assumptions. Being an aware person requires self maintenance, it's too big an ask.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #7459 on: May 04, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
The news has been reporting a lot lately about how there's, so far, NO EVIDENCE that the virus was engineered in a lab, which I think is strictly worse than just not mentioning it if there's no basis for it
每天生气

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7460 on: May 04, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
It's been a few weeks. Even went to work a couple times. I'm still the only person with a mask, man.  :( the only people i've seen wearing masks are fast food employees, and a bunch of them dont bother to wear gloves.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #7461 on: May 04, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
I'd say only about half the people I saw out yesterday when I went for propane had masks on. It was kinda infuriating.

shosta

« Reply #7462 on: May 04, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
masks are expensive.
每天生气

thisismyusername

« Reply #7463 on: May 04, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
america in genuine socioeconomic trouble is going to look way more like all those small businesslords with rifles in state legislatures than anything Good.

:wow

Cyberpunk 2020 coming true. Just no flying cars. :'(

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #7464 on: May 04, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »
masks are expensive.

I have a home made one. Even a bandanna is better than nothing. But nah, people are lazy selfish shits.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7465 on: May 04, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »
masks are expensive.

I meant face coverings. :( my shitty painter's masks arent medical grade but it's more than everyone is doing. :/

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7466 on: May 04, 2020, 02:33:28 PM »
almost everyone just got a $1200 check, they can afford $10-15 for a mask

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7467 on: May 04, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
We did a half lockdown and it half worked so we declared victory and started reopening.  :(

Forget replicating what South Korea and New Zealand have done, we're doing worse than the supposed basket cases like Italy

shosta

« Reply #7468 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
ONE mask? Are the rewashable ones actually safe? And are you going to throw your mask in the wash or in the sink and hang dry every single day if you're out frequently?
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7469 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »
If I wear a mask, people can't see how cool my mustache is.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:43:57 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7470 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
We did a half lockdown and it half worked so we declared victory and started reopening.  :(

Forget replicating what South Korea and New Zealand have done, we're doing worse than the supposed basket cases like Italy

Maybe try not to replicate what happened in the Black Death.  That seems like an achievable goal for Americans. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7471 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:47 PM »
ONE mask? Are the rewashable ones actually safe? And are you going to throw your mask in the wash or in the sink and hang dry every single day if you're out frequently?
yes? it's not that difficult of a process :lol

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7472 on: May 04, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »
They can use their socks and throw them in the wash after. Just cover your face with literally anything so I know you aren't a problem individual spreading this.  :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #7473 on: May 04, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
People have been saying what you're saying "it'll eventually come around to science again" since like 2000, REEEtious. :doge

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/185833.The_Republican_War_on_Science

shosta

« Reply #7474 on: May 04, 2020, 02:42:05 PM »
They can use their socks and throw them in the wash after. Just cover your face with literally anything so I know you aren't a problem individual spreading this.  :lol
Please correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way sock-material is going to help mitigate the spread. The holes in the fabric are gigantic.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #7475 on: May 04, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
I wish I thought that some great scientific awakening is going to come from this, but people are just flipping out because their routines are disrupted. If a scientist comes along that says "Don't do anything different, the other scientists are liberal liars" that would be more than enough for most people to shut your brain down and go back to making your own assumptions. Being an aware person requires self maintenance, it's too big an ask.
This already happened when Fox's nighttime crew was rolling out doctors EVERY NIGHT to say that hydroxychloroquine was working in their clinics (probably because they had a financial interest). As a society we don't have the capacity or the institutions anymore to decide on truth and vet information.
每天生气

thisismyusername

« Reply #7476 on: May 04, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »
Well, I'm to go back to work next Monday. :goty2

Supposedly, they're getting PPE's and limiting the amount of people coming in and doing curb-side work (yeah... good luck with that for our location. Half our location can't use computers/reservations...) as we re-open.

Not sure all that bullshit is worth less than unemployment paychecks. :doge

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7477 on: May 04, 2020, 02:53:41 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way sock-material is going to help mitigate the spread. The holes in the fabric are gigantic.

Yeah, socks dont work, I just like the mental image of all these people with like 4 socks wrapped around their face. :lol Shirts of various materials do though, fabric from pillowcases/furniture, bandanas. It doesnt have to be near medical grade for me to feel like someone's trying, at least.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7478 on: May 04, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »

riotous just wraps his huge cock around his face, but some of us don't have this luxury
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #7479 on: May 04, 2020, 02:57:56 PM »
"Well loud moronic Trump supports won't change" doesn't really refute that.

Except it does. :doge

Science will never be taken into account by a large majority of the public. Republican or not. You already see it with "FAKE NEWS!!!!!" even from non-Republicans. You're too optimistic, because again: This very thing (the "death of science") has been explored for 20 years. If Corona can't keep people inside and have people protesting because "I NEED MAH HAIRCUTTTTTTTTT!!!!" nothing will.

Tasty

« Reply #7480 on: May 04, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »
Previous societal changes did not have to contend with the rise New Media and its ability to completely warp large sections of the populace in a short amount of time with no repercussions.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7481 on: May 04, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
Despite having just said that "we" were reopening too early after a half-assed lockdown, I don't think the poor handling of the coronavirus is because Americans are are fundamentally anti-science morans. Polling says the the anti-lockdown people are way in the minority and speaking anecdotally most people I interact with are serious about following the guidelines. It's the incredible dysfunction of our political system that makes our coronavirus response such a failure.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7482 on: May 04, 2020, 03:07:10 PM »
Previous societal changes did not have to contend with the rise New Media and its ability to completely warp large sections of the populace in a short amount of time with no repercussions.
Transmission of attitudes and knowledge (true or not) to the next generation is never perfect. Change is certain, because death is certain. The direction of change? Not so much.

Tasty

« Reply #7483 on: May 04, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »
Saying "people will come around on science" is like saying "people will come around on income inequality."

As long as bootrstaps are a thing that will never happen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7484 on: May 04, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7485 on: May 04, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »
income inequality is an odd one to use as an example if you look at attitudes a decade ago vs today

Tasty

« Reply #7486 on: May 04, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
income inequality is an odd one to use as an example if you look at attitudes a decade ago vs today

And income inequality is worse today than it was a decade ago. What did the bluster accomplish?

I see the the "return to science" calls the same.

shosta

« Reply #7487 on: May 04, 2020, 03:26:08 PM »
Despite having just said that "we" were reopening too early after a half-assed lockdown, I don't think the poor handling of the coronavirus is because Americans are are fundamentally anti-science morans. Polling says the the anti-lockdown people are way in the minority and speaking anecdotally most people I interact with are serious about following the guidelines. It's the incredible dysfunction of our political system that makes our coronavirus response such a failure.
Even in states with competent responses there hasn't been a suspension of rent or mortgage payments. It amazes me how utterly inviolable the property relation is. It's the absolute last line we'll cross.
每天生气

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7488 on: May 04, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
This already happened when Fox's nighttime crew was rolling out doctors EVERY NIGHT to say that hydroxychloroquine was working in their clinics (probably because they had a financial interest). As a society we don't have the capacity or the institutions anymore to decide on truth and vet information.

I'm not even sure it has to do all with financial interest in the drug itself (though more indirectly a lot of doctors and hospitals are impacted, less to no elective surgeries for instance). Hydroxychloroquine also is a good fit for some popular narratives, it's a cheap, plentiful drug so :
- We can reopen now.
- The sickness can't be that bad if an existing, old, semi mundane drug can treat it.
- Big Pharma is lying because they want to push expensive new drugs / mind control mark of the beast vaccines.

Defending Hydroxychloroquine is defending Trump, shifting blame to experts, arguing we can reopen now (so everything Fox wants) and it is scratching the itch for conspiracy and demagoguery which is always popular.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:15:36 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

shosta

« Reply #7489 on: May 04, 2020, 03:34:15 PM »
Sorry for being unclear - I meant that the doctors had a financial interest. There were a lot of potekmin institutes popping up for a month.
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #7490 on: May 04, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »

And income inequality is worse today than it was a decade ago. What did the bluster accomplish?

A measurable increase in Americans having a positive view of socialism.   Major cities electing socialists to their city councils... Bernie Sanders being almost a viable dem candidate...

And zero impact on anything of value because the people holding all the keys are the ones calling the shots.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7491 on: May 04, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »

I'm not even sure it has to do all with financial interest in the drug itself (though more indirectly a lot of doctors and hospitals are impacted, less to no elective surgeries for instance). Hydroxichloroquine also is a good fit for some popular narratives, it's a cheap, plentiful drug so :
- We can reopen now.
- The sickness can't be that bad if an existing, old, semi mundane drug can treat it.
- Big Pharma is lying because they want to push expensive new drugs / mind control mark of the beast vaccines.

Defending Hydroxychloroquine is defending Trump, shifting blame to experts, arguing we can reopen now (so everything Fox wants) and it is scratching the itch for conspiracy and demagoguery which is always popular.

Y'all should still buy some Resochin and help me out a little since I foolishly bought Bayer stocks for way too much money. :uguu

Tasty

« Reply #7492 on: May 04, 2020, 03:50:17 PM »
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-apps-idUSKBN22G28W

Some mildly positive news on that Apple/Google COVID tracking partnership. Relying on Bluetooth of all things instead of GPS and other sensors is an interesting solution to the privacy concerns I and many others had. Perhaps this thing was more thought-out than I judged at first.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7493 on: May 04, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »

Some mildly positive news on that Apple/Google COVID tracking partnership. Relying on Bluetooth of all things instead of GPS and other sensors is an interesting solution to the privacy concerns I and many others had. Perhaps this thing was more thought-out than I judged at first.
Except that the inventor of Bluetooth Jaap Haartsen has said that his technology is not suitable for this type of tracking because it isn't very accurate.  :idont
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #7494 on: May 04, 2020, 03:55:14 PM »

Except that the inventor of Bluetooth Jaap Haartsen has said that his technology is not suitable for this type of tracking because it isn't very accurate.  :idont

It's better than the alternative of caving to the govt's requests to scoop up location data.

Also the dude may have invented Bluetooth 1.0 or whatnot (it's on 5.2 now), but Apple and Google are literally making the OS and hardware. If they think a BT-only method is accurate enough to be useful, I'm inclined to believe them.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #7495 on: May 04, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »

of course bluetooth is a creation of dutch directness :rejoice
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #7496 on: May 04, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »

of course bluetooth is a creation of dutch directness :rejoice

Is that why it never works well? :asuka

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7497 on: May 04, 2020, 04:48:29 PM »
I saw a bundle of dudes playing basketball at the church court I use sometimes. Missed opportunity to have yelled "social distance!" then gone around the block and yelled "illegal defense!"

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

shosta

« Reply #7499 on: May 04, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »
california opening up :aah
每天生气