Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083412 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11460 on: June 07, 2015, 09:24:19 PM »
Cocksucka!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11461 on: June 08, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Watched the first episode of Spoils of Babylon which I had somehow completely missed hearing about and thought it was hilarious. I'll probably power down the last 5 episodes tonight.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #11462 on: June 08, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
i love the show, but the biggest problem with hannibal is that all the serial killers we've seen so far are so fucked up (bees, trees, mushrooms, horses, totems, etc.) that by the time they get to dolarhyde and gumb they're gonna seem pretty tame in comparison
sup

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11463 on: June 08, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
i love the show, but the biggest problem with hannibal is that all the serial killers we've seen so far are so fucked up (bees, trees, mushrooms, horses, totems, etc.) that by the time they get to dolarhyde and gumb they're gonna seem pretty tame in comparison

they also go through them with a serious quickness. Most of them are found out the same episode their killings are discovered and they don't often factor in after they have been arrested. What happened with the mushroom farmer or the totem builder after they got caught? Feels very much like a monster of the week type deal, where villains are entirely encased in their specific episodes.

Maybe they are trying to construct a world in which these kinds of murderers are numbingly common and the only stand-outs are the ones who can elude discovery after their victims have been found (the ripper), and building a backlog of cases Will Graham has worked for the FBI. Most of the serial killers so far hasn't had much of a character beyond the simple profiling that is done at the crime scenes, I imagine once they get cases they want to present more substantially they'll spend more time giving them character and letting them exist beyond  a single episode.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #11464 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
Dolarhyde :rejoice
reckt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11465 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:03 PM »
Sense8 is great
Hannibal is great

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11466 on: June 08, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
Veep still killing it. That list of Jonah names :lol Mike trying to remember the name of a made up knee cream. :lol
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #11467 on: June 08, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Yeah, last night's Veep exceeded the show's already absurdly-high standards. Absolutely incredible.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11468 on: June 08, 2015, 06:35:54 PM »
He's a twelve year old boy trapped in the body of a twelve year old girl :lol

Fuck. That episode was so dense with good lines.
zzzzz

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11469 on: June 08, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »
Veep still killing it. That list of Jonah names :lol Mike trying to remember the name of a made up knee cream. :lol
They really need to give Matt Walsh more screentime.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #11470 on: June 08, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »

He's been the best character since day one.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11471 on: June 08, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
Absolutely. I've been a fan since UCB.

From AV Club:
J Rock, Jizzy Gillespie, Gaylien, Tinkerballs, Wadzilla, One
Erection, The Pointless Giant, The 60 foot virgin, Jonah Ono, Hagrid’s nutsack,
scrotum pole, transgenderformers, 12 years a slave to jerking off, Benedict
Cuminhisownhands, Guyscraper, The Cloud Botherer,
Supercalifragilisticexpialidickcheese, Teenage Mutant Ninja Asshole, and
Spewbacca
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #11472 on: June 08, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
The Pointless Giant

:dead

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #11474 on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
:lol glad i taught you that fuckin word

sup

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11475 on: June 09, 2015, 04:57:42 AM »
After binging on Elementary to get rid of a bunch of episodes lying around forever, I decided to watch the rest of the seasons. It's better than I thought, though that second season...had some issues.

The first season was actually pretty awesome as it progressed. And the start and end of the third.

I actually kinda like it better than Sherlock (not that Sherlock isn't good) because I like the two leads interpretations more. Even if it does too much procedural which Sherlock avoids by doing three episodes instead of 24. Johnny Lee Miller insisted on all sorts of actual characteristics and such from the books* for the character so he plays it well as a mildly "updated" version a bit more than Cumberbatch I think. Also, the lack of "Psych" vision. And the better opening credits. And the re-envisioned versions of characters are nice. Watson's transformation over the series is pretty compelling despite various faults with how it's handled at times, but works far better binge watched than if I had watched it weekly. Sherlock's irregulars are well used.

One part I really liked is the admissions that Sherlock's vast knowledge about everything is actually more a show than anything superhuman. Joan is able to master it much quicker. In one episode Detective Bell starts talking about details of a subject in their case and Sherlock says "yes, yes, we can all use Wikipedia" implying that a lot of his broad knowledge comes from that.  :lol

And Moriarty.  :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Best since TNG's.
[close]

*Like Sherlock's constant smelling of random things on the ground, which I don't remember a lot of in Sherlock.

studyguy

« Reply #11476 on: June 09, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »
My girlfriend ran through the entire Daria series on Hulu.
I'd never seen it. King of the Hill followed it right? Mike Judge shows man...
pause

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11477 on: June 09, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
King Of The Hill is infinitely entertaining. I haven't seen all of the show but every episode I watch cracks me up. Plus the "serious/dramatic moments in a comedy" stuff tends to be good.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11478 on: June 09, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
King of the Hill could have easily gone for the lcd of making fun of rednecks constantly (in fact this is what most people think it is) but instead it's a genuinely nuanced, hilarious show.
vin

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11479 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »
One of the most consistent shows of all time. It ran for so long and it was quality for its entire run.
zzzzz

studyguy

« Reply #11480 on: June 09, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »
You know I've never seen the end of King of the Hill. I should watch that.
pause

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #11483 on: June 09, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
Huh, that's pretty much perfect casting. I never would have thought of it. Good actor, too. Only thing worth a damn about that Mob City show, and the only thing interesting about WD S2.
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11485 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »
Huh, that's pretty much perfect casting. I never would have thought of it. Good actor, too. Only thing worth a damn about that Mob City show, and the only thing interesting about WD S2.

Shane Was Right.
:rejoice

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11487 on: June 11, 2015, 03:34:25 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #11488 on: June 11, 2015, 03:59:20 AM »
The BBC funds half of it and they shoot most all the interiors in London, so I think as long as they continue to do so, Showtime will pick it up as long as the writers/actors want to do it. I imagine they only want to do a season or two more at most anyway though.

It gets decent ratings on both BBC2 (I think) and Showtime, especially since they're both paying for only half of it.

I read somewhere that LeBlanc hasn't gone after what would be usual salary raises he could demand (instead taking ones more in line with his co-stars) since he likes doing the show. So that probably helps too.

EDIT: After checking around seems there's talk by the creators that this might be the final season. I thought six seasons might be the most they do anyhow, so not too disappointed if true.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:12:51 AM by benjipwns »

Beezy

« Reply #11489 on: June 11, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »
I liked Sense8. Stay away if corny dialogue easily pisses you off though.

Tasty

« Reply #11490 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
I liked Sense8. Stay away if corny dialogue easily pisses you off though.

I mean, it's the Wachowski's, that's to be expected... (I don't mind.)

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #11491 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
Been trying out Daredevil. The fight scenes are nice for TV...but so far it's so bland. Nothing grabbing me about the characters (fuck the"funny" friend), or the plotlines, or just anything in general. Maybe it gets better, unless I need to be balls deep in Marvel shit to really enjoy this.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11492 on: June 11, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »
It won't change in the ways you're hoping but it was good imo so I guess you could watch something else if it's not your style.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11493 on: June 11, 2015, 07:39:14 PM »
Finished season 2 of Hannibal and was very satisfied with it. Stealthfan was pretty on the mark in saying it picks up about halfway in when the court case is more or less out of the picture, and Will and Hannibal's relationship has built enough tension to steamroll through the remainder of the episodes.

Hype for season 3 if simply for the reason that there will be some other scenery than Bumblefuck, Maryland. (also I heard they had cast dolarhyde, so it will be interesting to see what they do with a more substantial villain)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11494 on: June 11, 2015, 07:40:12 PM »
season 3 started last week.  First episode was decent. 

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11495 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
tbh I don't think I have it in me to keep downloading tv episodes once a week to keep up with shit when I can just run through it all in one go after it's finished.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11496 on: June 12, 2015, 01:12:15 AM »
He was 37 but somehow ageless. He could’ve stepped out of a novel by Steinbeck. The writer as crusader, chronicler of love and depravity. His shirt was rumpled, his hair mussed, his manner that of a man who’d just hiked along the railroad tracks or rolled out from under a box. He is fine-featured, with fierce eyes a little too small for his face. It gives him the aura of a bear or some other species of dangerous animal. When I was a boy and dreamed of literature, this is how I imagined a writer—a kind of outlaw, always ready to fight or go on a spree.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/nic-pizzolatto-true-detective-season-2-better-than-season-1

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #11497 on: June 12, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
:kobeyuck

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11498 on: June 12, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »
Defiance back with a two episode premiere.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11499 on: June 14, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
Orange Is the New Black, on episode 2.  Like it so far.  also, titties!

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11500 on: June 14, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
He was 37 but somehow ageless.

I know, I can't believe Adrian Beltre is still this good, either.
AMC

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11501 on: June 14, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »
OITNB's new season went nowhere  :-\

Freyj

« Reply #11502 on: June 14, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »
Did it wander aimlessly through side characters' backgrounds like the last season?

I mean, it's not like Piper is good or anything, but the aimless trek through side characters storylines wasn't particularly fascinating either.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #11503 on: June 14, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
Where is a show set in a prison supposed to go?

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11504 on: June 14, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
Did it wander aimlessly through side characters' backgrounds like the last season?

I mean, it's not like Piper is good or anything, but the aimless trek through side characters storylines wasn't particularly fascinating either.

Yep. Wasn't a huge fan of Season 2 but at least it had a villain to pass the time.

Where is a show set in a prison supposed to go?

Somewhere interesting. First 2 seasons had tension and rivalrys and at least some idea of getting the hell out of there. This season really embraced the "slice of life" by focusing more on characters than any kind of plot, and that's honestly fine, but most of these women aren't interesting enough to carry the show by themselves.

No real goal, no real antagonist, drama blew its load in the 3rd episode and was flaccid for the remainder of the season.

I think I'm over the show at this point  :-\

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #11505 on: June 14, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
if they knew what they were doing they'd have a Assata Shakur type character and steal liberally from her writing about her experiences in the american prison system.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11506 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:06 AM »
Defiance back with a two episode premiere.

I got through about half of season2 while in America, but haven't decided on whether or not to torrent or purchase. Also leaning toward deleting the tie-in MMO from my 360, since the feeling-of-progress is a goddamned joke these days.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11507 on: June 15, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
Veep's totally going to resolve Selina's presidency the way everyone expected them to and it's awesome :lol :lol
zzzzz

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #11508 on: June 16, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
Tyrant returns tonight.
Boo

benjipwns

« Reply #11509 on: June 17, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »

:dead :rejoice :dead

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11510 on: June 17, 2015, 06:35:51 AM »
Syfy Back

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #11511 on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
These Syfy shows have been getting talked up lately....are they really worth the time?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11512 on: June 17, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
These Syfy shows have been getting talked up lately....are they really worth the time? (Image removed from quote.)

They're still scut filled tropey shit but if im being real, their original shows have definitely been a lot better lately. The 12 Monkeys show is solid, Defiance was solid s2 and seems to be keeping it up s3. I know a big part of it is their CEO admitted that much like TLC, they got dragged way down into the reality tv hole (ghosthunters etc) and he wanted to get the channel back to its roots.

Zombie show was fun too and is the best thing Asylum has ever done. John Hyams did a lot of episodes for it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11513 on: June 18, 2015, 12:43:09 AM »
Super girls pilot leaked is kinda shitty

Johnathan Strange though is absolutely great.

Premiere episode is up, free, on iTunes right now. It was quite good; it's got quite a bit of promise, but I think I'll go and read the books instead of staying with the show.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11514 on: June 18, 2015, 04:48:00 AM »
Watched the first episode of Spoils of Babylon which I had somehow completely missed hearing about and thought it was hilarious. I'll probably power down the last 5 episodes tonight.

Finished it up. I thought it was enjoyable. The first episode and tone and setting are the funniest imo but it still delivers funny throughout each episode. If you don't like Will Ferrell or Kristin Wiig in general, you probably won't like this but I like both of them and it reminded me honestly of an American take on something absurb like Darkplace or Danger 5.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11515 on: June 18, 2015, 05:05:08 AM »

Finished it up. I thought it was enjoyable. The first episode and tone and setting are the funniest imo but it still delivers funny throughout each episode. If you don't like Will Ferrell or Kristin Wiig in general, you probably won't like this but I like both of them and it reminded me honestly of an American take on something absurb like Darkplace or Danger 5.

They're doing another one iirc and theres also the lifetime movie him and wiig did:

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11516 on: June 18, 2015, 05:11:10 AM »
Yeah, that's why I actually watched this one is because I heard about the new one and realized I had somehow completely missed it.

And yeah the lifetime thing seems insane but in a good way.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11517 on: June 18, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
Watched first episode of Humans.

I liked it. I liked that it was kinda slow and boring. I mean those qualities as a compliment in something sci-fi related. Never watched the original swedish show so I have no basis for comparison.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #11518 on: June 20, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
Finished Hannibal season 2

fu ck
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11519 on: June 21, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
I'm just wrapping up Hannibal's first season, and am still enjoying the cinematography and character interaction between the three male leads, but its existence in an alternate universe where serial killers are more common than postal workers is starting to wear on me.

Just started Orphan Black (s1) today. Very excited; based on my friends' reactions, I have much to look forward to.